OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 11:08:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nicki Minaj's Grammy Performace Mocks Catholicism / Satanists mocking Icons @ the Grammy Awards?  (Read 7299 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2012, 01:39:45 AM »

Kanye West owns. Do you really think he believes all that occultic stuff? He's doing it for shock and attention. Sorry you can't handle the heat.

Nicki Minaj is awesome too.

Achronos,

Should I be glad or sad that I have no idea what to make of any of this thread including your post?

Thanks.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2012, 01:41:42 AM »

Poking fun at the inexplicably famous and undoubtedly talentless > arguing about metaphysics

All the time, every time.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2012, 01:45:36 AM »

Poking fun at the inexplicably famous and undoubtedly talentless > arguing about metaphysics

All the time, every time.

I see no reason not to dovetail.

Actually just getting Habte to have to write out that insincere and triumphal greeting is fun.

He does type it out believe it or not. He has made the occasional typo.

Strange but true.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2012, 02:08:14 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

..and now for some music that doesn't suck

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2012, 02:11:59 AM »

Get back on topic, please.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:12:17 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2012, 02:19:23 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

..and now for some music that doesn't suck

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Irie!  Smiley

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2012, 02:31:17 AM »

yeshuaisism, you see that Lady Gaga video yet?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2012, 02:37:18 AM »

^ Now look what you've done!  I hope you're happy with yourself!   Wink

Get back on topic, please.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2012, 02:42:03 AM »

Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.

Great point.

Selam

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2012, 02:43:24 AM »

I'm sure all of the saints depicted there were face-palming in heaven during that "performance".
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2012, 03:01:02 AM »

I would like to point out that some things are quite demonic and evil whether they are done for shock value, as a joke, for financial profit, or as an intentional act of satanic worship. We should recognize evil and call it such, rather than winking at it and adopting a laissez faire posture of tolerance simply because those doing the evil "don't really believe in it."

Selam

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2012, 05:44:03 AM »

Seems an appropriate Babylonian ritual to commemorate the fall of another Babylonian idol.

Selam

You do realize that only Ethiopian gives Babylonian a run as the most absurd modifier to the word empire.

You do realize that Gebre Menfes Kidus is not Ethiopian.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:44:19 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2012, 09:02:37 AM »

I'm more shocked that any of you watched the Grammy Awards. I mean, both my father and brother have been involved in the music industry for a total of about 60 years and counting and I asked my father if he was going to watch it and he said "only after I've done everything else I can think to do with my time." I would think that this is just about the level of attention that any of these spectacles merit. Looking for Masonic or Satanic this-or-that in this kind of show is akin to looking for Satanic messages in your Alfa-Bits cereal. In a past decade, you could have been counted on to provide court testimony against Judas Priest... Roll Eyes

I have not watched an awards show in decades. OTH, I read about the Grammy awards afterwards and found out three good things.

- Alison Krauss won Best Bluegrass Album (with her band Union Station) for "Paper Airplane." She is probably the most awarded female singer in the US and continues to amaze with her voice, artistry and modesty--not a prima donna bone in her body.

- Adele, the big winner this year, is a really good singer (I caught couple of her songs on you tube).

- Tony Bennett (with Amy Winehouse) won Best Pop Duo for for "Body and Soul" and won Best Traditional Pop Album for "Duets II". BTW, did I tell y'all that I love the American Songbook.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:02:57 AM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2012, 09:26:56 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roPnQjB5EEg  (first 20 seconds or so in the background)

Also note the masonic pillars.

It is my opinion much of the music industry incorporates satanic & masonic rituals in their "entertainment programming".

I'm curious what other people's opinions are?

This is not a conspiracy, nor is it satanic or masonic. Is it wrong? Yes... Is it irreverent? Yes...

The choice of everything in that performance is very intentional, she wasn't mocking icons, she is mocking the Roman Catholic Church, maybe even religion in general.

There is not a conspiracy within the music industry or anything like that. She simply wants shock value and to stick it to society and what some people consider respectable and reverent.

She stands for immorality and vice, and promotes it in her music. It isn't about her being part of some conspiracy, satanic cult or anything like that. It's simply her being who she is, and desiring to shock people and cause people to talk about her and her music.

I once had someone tell me they believed the music industry was run by the Jews who put patterns, beats, etc... in the music to perform mind control and get people to do drugs and kill themselves. There are some really crazy ideas out there, don't believe them.

Again, please, for the love of God, don't get your ideas from Wikipedia, YouTube or private online websites.

Ditto. What a contest amont all of the Madonna 'wanna-bes'. At least Lady Gaga actually has some talent and recognizes that her 'schtick' is just that - a 'schtick.' An even better contrast between the techno-talent-deprived 'artists' and singers like Adele. You may not like blues influenced jazz singing, but there she was - alone with a microphone and back up singers - no fireworks, no scantily clad Roman gladiators, no snakes etc..... And what happened to the 'old' Katy Perry who didn't need spray painted clothes to hit the top forty? I guess I am getting old...

By the way..the rockers at the very end, led by the old guys, Sir Paul and the Boss were awesome!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:28:11 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2012, 10:20:19 AM »

Seems an appropriate Babylonian ritual to commemorate the fall of another Babylonian idol.

Selam

You do realize that only Ethiopian gives Babylonian a run as the most absurd modifier to the word empire.

You do realize that Gebre Menfes Kidus is not Ethiopian.

I think you are asking the wrong person this question.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2012, 10:36:31 AM »

Selam

Babylon not being a real empire?  I'm sure the Assyrians would disagree with you on this.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »

I would like to point out that some things are quite demonic and evil whether they are done for shock value, as a joke, for financial profit, or as an intentional act of satanic worship. We should recognize evil and call it such, rather than winking at it and adopting a laissez faire posture of tolerance simply because those doing the evil "don't really believe in it."

Selam

Post of the month!!!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2012, 12:07:26 PM »

You are warned for bypassing mod's decision to remove your signature as it breaks the size rules - MK.

I didn't "bypass" anything, you never actually removed it although you said you did, and you did not instruct me to remove it. I actually did absolutely nothing.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:28:24 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roPnQjB5EEg  (first 20 seconds or so in the background)

Also note the masonic pillars.

It is my opinion much of the music industry incorporates satanic & masonic rituals in their "entertainment programming".

I'm curious what other people's opinions are?

Can't some music just suck without there having to be a conspiracy about it?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

LOL, well, yes it can.

Unfortunately this artist is obviously huge and has much influence.   (I don't understand why either LOL)

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »

Selam

I agree with this. I was trying to point out that such things, as offensive and bad as they are, are not always a reflection of the artist's personal values. In other words, if you were to ask the star themselves they'd likely say it was for show, as they are not actually involved in masonry, satanism, or what have you. (So there isn't an actual conspiracy anywhere, it's just about what will make money/get the ladies or whatever.) We shouldn't adopt a laissez faire attitude at all. We shouldn't consume such media that is ambivalent towards evil. Ambivalence is not an attitude in keeping with Christianity. However, if we go to the extremes of seeing actual satanist conspiracies in bad popular media made for calculated, capitalistic reasons, we may risk coming off as extremists of the book burning/Beatles records steamrolling variety, which would help justify (in the minds of those so inclined) the world's turning a blind eye to more urgent issues, e.g., persecution of Christians in the Middle East/Asia/Africa. Before you say "that's a stretch" or something similar, I have seen this over and over myself, particularly with the so-called "new atheists" who seem to see Jerry Falwell and his ilk as evidence that Christians are all Bin Ladens in waiting for the appropriate political situation in which to turn the West into Evangelical Taliban country (as though disagreeing with/boycotting certain media or popular social/political stances supported by it is on the level of actually killing people).

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »

Kanye West owns. Do you really think he believes all that occultic stuff? He's doing it for shock and attention. Sorry you can't handle the heat.

Nicki Minaj is awesome too.

Hi brother Achronos,

I'd like to pass this video on to you about Kayne West.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccPm3CdP3Uo

I know that many people do not want to believe, understand, or want to find some of the claims against a lot of the music industry as "unfounded".  Christians should consider if our Lord would approve.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2012, 12:32:43 PM »

Pfft. Everyone knows that the pyramids were built by Masons. And space aliens built everything in Ethiopia before the Italians showed up. The guy with the crazy hair on the History Channel told me so.

Of course some claims that people make I would consider heavy disinformation to pass the unfortunate and deviant truth off as crazy.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2012, 12:36:38 PM »

You are warned for bypassing mod's decision to remove your signature as it breaks the size rules - MK.

I didn't "bypass" anything, you never actually removed it although you said you did, and you did not instruct me to remove it. I actually did absolutely nothing.
Rather than dispute the moderator's actions here, which is a surefire way to get your warning escalated to Post Moderation, would you please take up your dispute with him and the Global Moderator in charge of this section--I believe that's Fr. George--via private message? Thank you.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2012, 12:39:28 PM »

The mere fact that many believe there is a masonic conspiracy within the music industry doesn't mean there really is. Many of our children believe in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy or that there's a leprechaun guarding a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow, but that doesn't mean that any of these is real.

Face it, yesh, not everyone joins you in looking for a masonic conspiracy under every rock.

"He who fears has not yet been made perfect in love." ~1 John 4:18b

I know and its unfortunate.  Both about Santa, the Tooth Fairy, Leprechauns/gold AND about Masonry.

The only problem is that most Masonic elements can be proven or at the very least linked.

But anyway, if you ignore the pillars in both this and the Kayne West video I just posted - they are showing blasphemy in front of icons.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2012, 12:44:10 PM »

Selam

Post of the month!!!

I 2nd that as the post of the month!  It is evil & wicked.   It mocks those or the idea of those who we consider our brothers in heaven.  It's directly doing so, and our youth is eating this stuff up.

What would our Lord think of this?  What would our saints?

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »

Rather than dispute the moderator's actions here, which is a surefire way to get your warning escalated to Post Moderation, would you please take up your dispute with him and the Global Moderator in charge of this section--I believe that's Fr. George--via private message? Thank you.

If they can accuse me of doing something in public then I should be able to address in it public.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2012, 12:59:08 PM »

yeshuaisism, you see that Lady Gaga video yet?

Lots of them UNFORTUNATELY.  

Lots of satanic symbolism in those.  From holding up a rosary "praying" Just let me go, eating the rosary, upside down crosses, goat heads... Even some songs like "Born this way" talk about how "god didn't make mistakes making gay people".

Also, she has a song that says "I'm in love with Judas".... Well here http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/l/lady_gaga/judas.html, this is what many 10 year old girls are singing.  

It's disgusting and my personal belief is influences like this will bring many away from God.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2012, 01:09:16 PM »

If they can accuse me of doing something in public then I should be able to address in it public.
If it's that important to you to be able to address a formal warning in public, then feel free to use the Contact option in the main menu bar to petition Fr. Chris and ask that the rules be changed. Right now, however, the forum rules require that you dispute moderatorial actions in private--in this case, via private appeal to the Global Moderator responsible for overseeing the section where you drew your warning.

From the Forum Rules Page
Respect the mod/admin staff -- The moderators and administrative staff of oc.net keep this place running tidy.  While you don't have to agree with a particular decision they make, we ask that you at least respect it publicly.  If you feel the need to appeal or disagree with a decision that was made, please do so privately via PM.  If you just have general complaints and want to go right to the top, please contact one of the Admins:  Fr. Chris or Fr. Anastasios.

Now that you know the proper protocol for disputing moderatorial actions, if you continue to argue with Mike or with me on this thread, you will be bumped up to Post Moderation, a status where every one of your posts will need to be screened by a moderator before it appears on the forum. This is not an attempt to silence you; I just want to make sure you know that we have a procedure already in place for how to dispute moderatorial decisions and that you need to follow this procedure.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:14:58 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2012, 01:34:23 PM »

The mere fact that many believe there is a masonic conspiracy within the music industry doesn't mean there really is. Many of our children believe in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy or that there's a leprechaun guarding a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow, but that doesn't mean that any of these is real.

Face it, yesh, not everyone joins you in looking for a masonic conspiracy under every rock.

I know and its unfortunate.  Both about Santa, the Tooth Fairy, Leprechauns/gold AND about Masonry.

The only problem is that most Masonic elements can be proven or at the very least linked.

So what, I can link Kevin Bacon to an Emperor Penguin...it only takes 6 or 7 jumps.....

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2012, 02:17:53 PM »

So what, I can link Kevin Bacon to an Emperor Penguin...it only takes 6 or 7 jumps.....

PP

But could you do it without using Batman Returns?
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2012, 02:27:11 PM »

PP

*sigh* you ruin everything Vam!!!!!! storms off to room

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2012, 03:48:41 PM »

PP

PP

Wasn't Danny Devito the Penguin?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2012, 03:51:51 PM »

PP

PP

I think that was supposed to be a double snap including a tangent on Kevin Bacon

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2012, 04:44:29 PM »

PP

PP

Well, I was aiming more for the rocket-penguins in the movie, which look kinda like Emperor Penguins (aptenodytes forsteri) but apparently were the smaller King Penguins (aptenodytes patagonicus).

So yeah, you can come out of your room now, PP.  My joke didn't quite work.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:44:53 PM by vamrat » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2012, 04:47:40 PM »

PP

PP

Well, I was aiming more for the rocket-penguins in the movie, which look kinda like Emperor Penguins (aptenodytes forsteri) but apparently were the smaller King Penguins (aptenodytes patagonicus).

So yeah, you can come out of your room now, PP.  My joke didn't quite work.
sniffle if you say so......

Smiley

PP

Gregory the Great

GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2012, 10:17:26 PM »

I don't know if any of you watched the Grammys last Sunday, but this is newsworthy in our circle. Pop star Nicki Minaj dresses up as Red Riding Hood and her date for the festivities was a guy dressed as the Pope.

However, this wasn't the reason why most Christian circles are angry with her. This is why.

The President of the Catholic League wrote this response.

I didn't see the performance when it actually happened (I did see her with the "pope" at the red carpet), but from the looks of it, the whole thing was distasteful to say the least.

- GTA
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:18:00 PM by GTAsoldier » Logged

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2012, 10:18:29 PM »

Well she did copy Lil Kim's style anyway...

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
GTAsoldier
Elder

Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2012, 10:30:31 PM »

Well she did copy Lil Kim's style anyway...

Hahaha word  Cheesy. She ain't touching' the Queen Bee.

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Punch
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »

History is nothing other than lies that have been agreed to.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2012, 10:47:22 PM »

History is simply the version of what happened that the victors have written
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2012, 10:55:13 PM »

History is simply the version of what happened that the victors have written
History is what the historians say it is.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2012, 10:58:12 PM »

Something that would look nice on a mug.

Paisius
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2012, 11:02:22 PM »

All I can say is what a jack***.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2012, 11:35:01 PM »

It's a shame one can't look to the grammys for examples of moral uprightness anymore.  Wink

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2012, 11:38:01 PM »

It's a shame one can't look to the grammys for examples of moral uprightness anymore.  Wink

laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: