OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:49:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clarification: Font Color  (Read 3651 times) Average Rating: 0
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« on: February 11, 2012, 02:23:51 AM »

I was wondering, in the rules, it states that moderators will make requests in the color green:
Occasionally a moderator will make a formal request (i.e. in green font, explicitly stating that they're asking as a mod and not a user)...
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=rules

However, in this thread, it is stated that moderators will use "colored font" to make requests.
Occasionally a moderator will make a formal request (i.e. in a colored font, or whatnot, explicitly stating that they're asking as a mod and not a user)...
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13455.msg220111.html#msg220111

My question is simple. Many posters here, myself included, have used in the past colored font in their posts (taking care to avoid green of course) for emphasis. Other than green, are we restricted from using other colors so as not to appear to be impersonating moderators? If so, what colors, if any are we allowed to use? Some clarification on this matter would be helpful.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 03:08:32 AM »

I would steer away from;
blue
green
and for sure red.

Just sayin' as a moderator.  also context and colour are a must, ie, if you were to use red and act in authority in that forum, that's a big no no.  The rules say that we have a right to enforce things that we feel is wrong.  so in other words, stay clear or the green, red and blue.  -username! section moderator

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 03:14:39 AM »

I would steer away from;
blue
green
and for sure red.

Just sayin' as a moderator.  also context and colour are a must, ie, if you were to use red and act in authority in that forum, that's a big no no.  The rules say that we have a right to enforce things that we feel is wrong.  so in other words, stay clear or the green, red and blue.  -username! section moderator

That helps, thank you.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 08:49:07 AM »

stay clear or the green, red and blue.

Green I can understand. Self-explanatory.

Red has been used quite frequently for emphasis in ordinary posts, as well as by moderators when issuing a warning or banning, accompanied by a colored dot. It's pretty simple to distinguish these two uses, the former which has occurred without a shred of complaint from the powers that be. Until now.

Blue? Thomas uses it in his welcome to converts, and it's been used countless times for block quotes and for people's usernames within an otherwise black-letter post, again, without a shred of complaint from the powers that be. Until now.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 09:39:24 AM »

For the record, I am fine with the blue that is used by many folks here.

I think what Username may have been referring to is that funky bluish-purple that only shows up when the level below banning and above post moderation is given out.

Just in general, the levels of discipline on the Ladder are:

-Private PM
-Public message
-Public warning (the green dot)
-Post Moderation
-Muting
-Banning.

So, if a person is already in the Warned status, and then commits three infractions, this person is actually subject to being banned. 5 infractions while warned is especially egregious.

Any action is taken with the consensus of the Moderators. No one person can go out and discipline anybody; there has to be agreement among the moderators. I can, and have, overruled the Moderators before, but 90% of the time this is actually to soften the punishment.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 02:11:16 PM »

stay clear or the green, red and blue.

Green I can understand. Self-explanatory.

Red has been used quite frequently for emphasis in ordinary posts, as well as by moderators when issuing a warning or banning, accompanied by a colored dot. It's pretty simple to distinguish these two uses, the former which has occurred without a shred of complaint from the powers that be. Until now.

Blue? Thomas uses it in his welcome to converts, and it's been used countless times for block quotes and for people's usernames within an otherwise black-letter post, again, without a shred of complaint from the powers that be. Until now.

I think context and what is being said has a lot to do with it. 

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 06:04:53 PM »

The thing is to steer clear of acting like a moderator.
Using a colour when acting like a moderator will draw attention and always ends up with some form of contact by the mod team.

If say, the thread becomes heated and someone were to say;

hey(insert name) can't say that, I demand you give a quote for it or prove where you are coming up with that theory"
Is probably going to get you in some sort of hot water with the administration team.
Unless it is a moderator saying it, I always put my username! + section moderator at the end of a formal moderator step in.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: