OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 10:38:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Words, meaning and the language of discourse  (Read 298 times) Average Rating: 0
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« on: February 12, 2012, 07:29:42 PM »

In reference to several threads recently active here:

At what point does one have to resort to using an original language because English (or German, French, whatever) doesn't "properly carry its connotations"?

Examples we often see of people using original languages instead of an English equivalent include the endless debate about Theotokos vs. "Mother of God." Or the insistence on saying "theologoumena" rather than "pious opinion," Prelest vs. "spiritual delusion," Kenosis vs "emptying", etc.?

These, of course, are not words that would stand out for those more learned than I, just the ones that I thought of just now.

So, are there Orthodox words that one must use because they don't have an equivalent? And if they don't have an equivalent, how does one explain the concept?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:30:11 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 07:38:22 PM »

In reference to several threads recently active here:

At what point does one have to resort to using an original language because English (or German, French, whatever) doesn't "properly carry its connotations"?

Examples we often see of people using original languages instead of an English equivalent include the endless debate about Theotokos vs. "Mother of God." Or the insistence on saying "theologoumena" rather than "pious opinion," Prelest vs. "spiritual delusion," Kenosis vs "emptying", etc.?

These, of course, are not words that would stand out for those more learned than I, just the ones that I thought of just now.

So, are there Orthodox words that one must use because they don't have an equivalent? And if they don't have an equivalent, how does one explain the concept?

The word LOVE comes to mind. We only have one word that must be clarified with the use of adjectives, but Greek, being the more precise theological language, has at least four words for love.

For example, when we exclaim, "O God, the only Lover of Mankind" this phrase in English can mean different things to different folks depending on their state of mind.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:03:23 PM »

I think you should resort to the original language when a translation would be a good deal longer (say, for instance, the original is one word, but an English translation would require at least three or four to make the same point) or when the translation has a connotation that stands in contrast to the meaning meant to be conveyed.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: