Author Topic: Orthodox and X  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Orthodox and X
« on: February 12, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »
I think it is against canon law to be both Orthodox and a Mason, or Orthodox and Jewish. Are there canon laws against being both Orthodox and Muslim? Or Orthodox and, say, Confucian?
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Re: Orthodox and X
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 06:43:39 PM »
Or Orthodox and cannibal necro-zoolo-pedophile?

Your point is?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »

Man, I hope not . . .
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:54:12 PM »
I think it is against canon law to be both Orthodox and a Mason, or Orthodox and Jewish. Are there canon laws against being both Orthodox and Muslim? Or Orthodox and, say, Confucian?
Or Daoist?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 12:02:15 AM »

I guess my first question would be why would you want to pursue this course?  How on earth would that help you with theosis?  Secondly, how could you reconcile the differences between Christianity and Islam?   Put simply, there is no possible way to do this (regardless of what some rogue Anglican priestess says) as the two are vastly contradictory, incongruent, and mutually incompatible with one another.   I don't know too much about Confucianism, but from what I understand is that it's more of political/ethical weltanschuaang and wouldn't necessarily hinder your theosis, but then again, I don't think it's going to aid you too much either. 

A cafeteria approach to religion is, IMO, a case in point of immaturity and naivite and a sure-fire path to cognitive dissonance.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 01:53:26 AM »

Taking your posts seriously like I always do and not wanting to read the yeshuaisiam thread again, I would bet my savings on no to Muslims and I wouldn't make the same bet on Confucianism without knowing the precise rules of the game.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »

Your point is?
The Church made it a point early on to explicitly reject combining Christianity with Jewish practices. Since Islam and Orthodoxy have also existed side by side, it seems possible that explicit rejections of combining Christianity with Islamic practices might also have become part of canon law.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 10:13:36 AM »
Are we Roman Catholics to have everything in the Canon Law?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 10:37:14 AM »
Are we Roman Catholics to have everything in the Canon Law?
I'm not Orthodox, but an interested outsider observer.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 11:02:52 AM »

Your point is?
The Church made it a point early on to explicitly reject combining Christianity with Jewish practices. Since Islam and Orthodoxy have also existed side by side, it seems possible that explicit rejections of combining Christianity with Islamic practices might also have become part of canon law.

When somebody converts from Islam to Orthodoxy, the person has to directly reject Mohomet and his teachings.
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 11:07:26 AM »

Your point is?

When somebody converts from Islam to Orthodoxy, the person has to directly reject Mohomet and his teachings.
Do you mean, the convert has to explicitly say "I reject Muhammad" or something similar?
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 11:15:24 AM »
I'm not Orthodox, but an interested outsider observer.

OK. Your posts in the Faith Issues section will be read more carefully.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 11:29:07 AM »

Your point is?

Do you mean, the convert has to explicitly say "I reject Muhammad" or something similar?

Yes, exactly.

In the service book of the Holy Orthodox Catholic Apostolic Church by Isabel Florence Hapgood on PAGE 468 it reads:

"The mahomentan renounceth: The Mahometan faith, and its Sophistries; Mahomet, as being a false prophet; the Koran and all false legends, laws and traditions therein contained; the pilgrimage to Mecca for worship, as salutary to the soul; the inculcation of polygamy in this life, and the teaching as to sensual pleasures in Paradise; and the blasphemies which Mahometans utter touching Christ our Saviour, his most holy Mother, and Christians.

Forgive me I obviously understated what I said in the previous post.  You basically reject EVERYTHING Muslim AUDIBLY where the priest hears it and if present witnesses.

(Heh you should see the Roman Catholic renouncement!!!!!!)
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com