OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:08:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was this experience, how does it relate to Orthodoxy?  (Read 631 times) Average Rating: 0
What is the Light

Faith: Trying to figure my religion out
Jurisdiction: Don't have one

« on: February 11, 2012, 07:58:45 PM »

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but here it is.

Years ago I was cooking and as I was standing there I had this experience. The world stopped for a moment a feeling of lightness, joy, emptiness (in a good way), and the cessation of thought. For a moment all my worries were gone, so was everything else. When I think of this I remember a white light, I don't know if that was from the experience actually. It was there for a moment then it was gone, fading away. I've never had a clue of what this was. Does this correlate to any thing in Orthodoxy?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 08:04:41 PM »

Usually only with those most advanced in the practice of hesychastic prayer. Since talking about their experiences is very often a temptation to pride, they're generally very reticent to speak of them except to their spiritual elders, kinda like St. Paul and his experiences of the highest heaven, which he related only by talking of his experiences as though they were someone else's. At least this is how I understand it according to my limited knowledge.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 08:07:00 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
What is the Light

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 08:37:43 PM »

So perhaps just let it be a mystery?
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 01:30:54 AM »

So perhaps just let it be a mystery?

It could have been a spontaneous gift of Grace given to you because God knew it would be good for you. It could have been a random neuron misfire. It could have been many things. I think the point is that even if there is anyone on this forum qualified to make such a judgment (and I'm certainly not one of them), they wouldn't be able to do so through some sort of anonymous discussion on the internet. What you described does have possible correlates in Orthodoxy. But the exploration of what it actually was is something that should be undertaken in the context of a personal relationship with a spiritual father. If you have a parish priest, discuss it with him. If that is not possible for you at this time, then, yes, probably best to just 'let it be a mystery' until you are in a position to discuss it fully with a confessor.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
What is the Light

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 09:04:08 AM »

Witega: good point.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »

Many are called...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 07:59:13 PM »

A mini-stroke?

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 12:17:26 AM »

It does seem to remind me of some things I think I've read in lives of Saints, but then it also reminds me of an LSD flashback, and an experience I had with some fireworks when I was a child. While I would not say God is constrained in manifesting himself only to those we think he should, I am also mindful that there is much delusion in the world and much harm that can come from drawing conclusions on our own without proper guidance. I agree with witega take it up with a priest.

Countdown to our Baptisms and Chrismations:

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 10:08:18 AM »

very good answers.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 12:28:22 PM »

It's probably hard to determine what it was.  But if you think about too much, or if it confuses you, try to put it aside.  Maybe leave it up to God to explain to you what it was, if/when He thinks it's the right time.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: