OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:40:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should Orthodox Churches be Part of the World Council of Churches?
Yes - 12 (23.5%)
No - 28 (54.9%)
It was OK in the past, but not now. - 5 (9.8%)
It was bad in the past, but it may be OK in the future. - 1 (2%)
Never! - 5 (9.8%)
Total Voters: 51

Pages: 1 2 3 4 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy and the WCC  (Read 5732 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: February 11, 2012, 07:27:16 PM »

What say ye?

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 09:27:56 PM »

I like the stance of the RCC: sending observers to the WCC (thus participating in a limited way) without actually joining. The WCC operates essentially on the principle that all denominations are part of the Body. This is not in harmony with our understanding of what the Church is.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 09:46:36 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
Abune Paulos

High resolution, please credit: Peter Williams/WCC
WCC president (Oriental Orthodox)
His Holiness Abune Paulos is the patriarch of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church, which has a membership of 40 million. He has been instrumental in encouraging interfaith dialogue in Ethiopia, and has participated in many international meetings, including the World Economic Forum and the World Summit of Religious and Spiritual Leaders at the United Nations. He has shown keen interest in youth, women's issues and HIV/AIDS, acting as patron of the national programme on HIV/AIDS. In recognition of his outstanding contributions to the protection and welfare of refugees, he was awarded the Nansen Medal for Africa by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in 2000. He has served as a member of central committee and the Faith and Order commission, and attended the Nairobi assembly.
http://www.oikoumene.org/who-are-we/organization-structure/governing-bodies/biographies-of-wcc-officers-and-presidents/abune-paulos.html

By the way, HIM Haile Selassie was a major part of the formation of the WCC
January 12, 1971
Mr. Chairman, Eminences and Distinguished Members of the Central Committee,
It is with feelings of great spiritual and personal happiness that We witness the convening of this meeting of the Central Committee of the World Council of Churches in Our capital city.
This is particularly so as it is more timely than ever for followers of Christ to gather to deliberate on current vital issues affecting international peace and justice.
Man's egoistic motives and his selfish desire to pursue exclusively his own individual interests, thus failing in his God-given task of following the goal of the unity of all, is witness to the feebleness of human nature, and constitutes the major obstacle to the unity of all Christians towards which we strive.
How long will we, who are disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, who are taught by the same Holy Bible, continue to remain divided amongst ourselves?
Realizing that the time has come for the Church of Christ, divided for many centuries up till now, to come together in unity and work together, it is imperative for all of us to strive together, in accordance with the words of the Apostle, Ephesians, Chapter 4, verses 5 and 6 to clear the way and open it up for the realization of unity. Each church and all churches have the obligation, derived from their covenant with God, to proclaim the Gospel, to make disciples of all nations and thus to make the faith grow and bear fruit.
We Christians living by the faith of Christ, the Head and Pillar on whom the Church is founded, cannot escape the responsibility to work for the peace of the world, and to ensure equality for all human beings created by God, lest we fail in our duty by being mere passive witnesses to the gruesome spectacle of human beings, created in the image of God, being deprived by virtue of their color or their poverty, of the benefits and blessings that are the birthright of every man and all men, and suffering in agony, cast forth from the pale of full human existence.
Man does not live by bread alone. The spiritual life does not deny, however, the need for bread. Therefore, the spiritual life of humanity must necessarily include the common aspiration of all of us for a better standard of living and for greater improvement in the quality of human existence.
May God our Creator, the Helper and guiding Light of us all, grant you His wisdom that your meeting may bear fruit for His glory. We sincerely wish you all success and pray that God may lead you to that unity which Christians all over the world eagerly await.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1111/j.1758-6623.1971.tb01118.x/asset/j.1758-6623.1971.tb01118.x_p1.png?v=1&s=5dedcc78fc4d7a3122c5e37d64c2667940c8ad26

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:47:27 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 10:47:46 PM »

Hey, HabteSelassie, would it be possible to downsize that pic?
I cannot even see the man's face, but only about 1/4 of it at one time.

Anyway, the entire idea of the WCC and the NCC is scary.
Do we need a one world religion reduced to its minimum?

I voted NO before I saw NEVER.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 11:23:23 PM »

It's a waste of time.  The Protestants continue to drift further and further away from the orthodox teachings of Christianity and they have little to no interest in Orthodoxy save for trying to drag us down the same road of relativism.  As long as Orthodox Christians remain faithful to the teachings of the church, the more the WCC will try to exert influence on our hierarchs to get them to accept clearly heterodox if not out right heretical teachings all for the sake of meaningless "unity." 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 03:29:38 AM »

As a someone who loves His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selasie I and has always trusted his judgment, I must admit that I have never been comfortable with the Orthodox participation in the WCC. I haven't actually voted in my own poll yet, but I think I'm going to vote that it may have been OK in the past but that it's not OK now. Too much potential for moral pollution and theological compromise. The Church can be thoroughly evangelistic without making strange bedfellows. As for Abuna Paulos, I cannot pass judgment. He is controversial to say the least, but I confess that I'm not familiar enough with the issues regarding the unfortunate division between the contesting EOTC Patriarchates to state an opinion. I pray for Abuna Paulos as for all Orthodox leaders. May God grant him wisdom.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 03:55:43 AM »

It's a waste of time.  The Protestants continue to drift further and further away from the orthodox teachings of Christianity and they have little to no interest in Orthodoxy save for trying to drag us down the same road of relativism.  As long as Orthodox Christians remain faithful to the teachings of the church, the more the WCC will try to exert influence on our hierarchs to get them to accept clearly heterodox if not out right heretical teachings all for the sake of meaningless "unity." 

I agree with you completely and I do see a lot of the relativism that you are talking about. I recently heard of some Orthodox converts who are all about uniting with Evangelical Protestants on the idea that they aren't that different (these are the same people who will talk about how different and heretical Roman Catholics are!). I think the Orthodox Church should take a similar position of Rome and withdraw because I do have a fear that if the participation continues and more converts from Protestants believe that Evangelicals are "no different" then I fear that Orthodoxy (in America at least) will become no different than just another Protestant denomination that has Saints and veneration of Mary (but not as much as the Catholics as some claim).
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 08:41:30 AM »

divided for many centuries up till now,
Garbage. 

There hasn't been any division in Christ's Church.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 12:28:30 PM »

Garbage. 

What are you talking about? Our bishops are hardly ever on the same page.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »

Garbage. 

But they are members of the Body, which is I believe what is being intimated here Smiley

Now, my take. The WCC is not something that our Church should be a member of. I mentioned this in another thread about my argument. I'll see if I cant find it.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 02:51:40 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Garbage. 

But they are members of the Body, which is I believe what is being intimated here Smiley

Now, my take. The WCC is not something that our Church should be a member of. I mentioned this in another thread about my argument. I'll see if I cant find it.

PP

I can respect y'all opinions and understand the skepticism and apprehensions, I have them as well, but I am obliged to follow the discipline and example of both my Emperor and my Patriarchs, in their continual involvement with the WCC since its inception, and HIM Haile Selassie was a personal fan, as HIM was extending the reach of Ecumenism beyond just the Oriental and Eastern Orthodox dialogues of the 1960s where HIM was declared the Defender of the Faith, but also with the Protestants and Evangelical groups who were ministering across Africa.  HIM had the opposite of the divide and conquer Imperial strategy, HIM was a fan of the co-opt in and therefore have the agency to keep an eye on approach to international and inter-African and inter-faith affairs. 

HIM played the chess game of realpolitik far to well, even in the context of the Faith.  After all, read the Orthodox history, the Councils, the Anathemas, realistically sometimes conflict in the past has been far more a matter of personalities than doctrine.

I accept the Ethiopian Church's involvement with the WCC as a matter of faith, which is all I can do in reverence to the discipline of my Holy Mother the Church. I go where she goes trusting in God Almighty.  After all, sometimes she is commissioned to unfriendly territory to evangelize herself Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 07:33:05 PM »

I voted NEVER.  The WCC is nothing other than a tool of the Antichrist.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »

The WCC is a complete waste of time.  The reps have to jump through hoops to remain true to Christianity. 
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 09:10:51 PM »

The WCC is a complete and total waste of time.  I would much prefer to see any and all resources (including time) spent on WCC matters, by the Orthodox, used instead on EO and OO reconciliation.  That is something that has the potential to bear fruit BEFORE the second coming of Christ.

Anyways, His Imperial Majesty was either speaking heresy or was using a very poor choice of words in proclaiming the Church to be divided.  The Church can never be divided.  People can separate themselves from the Church, and the Church can formally recognize that they have done so, but the Church is never divided.  By saying it is, you are either claiming that the Body of Christ has been cut in two, or you are choosing your words without much care, because the Protestants will latch onto those words and take it as evidence that the Orthodox see themselves as just one more denomination.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 09:36:50 PM »

I      you not. I really thought Gebre was suggesting the OC have something to do with WC.

This I could get behind and actually pull off logistically at my parish. Easily walking distance from one another.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 09:51:35 PM »

Anyways, His Imperial Majesty was either speaking heresy or was using a very poor choice of words in proclaiming the Church to be divided.  The Church can never be divided.  People can separate themselves from the Church, and the Church can formally recognize that they have done so, but the Church is never divided.  By saying it is, you are either claiming that the Body of Christ has been cut in two, or you are choosing your words without much care, because the Protestants will latch onto those words and take it as evidence that the Orthodox see themselves as just one more denomination.
Thank you. Truly.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 10:02:04 PM »

I voted NEVER.  The WCC is nothing other than a tool of the Antichrist.
Bingo.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 12:36:14 AM »

Anyways, His Imperial Majesty was either speaking heresy or was using a very poor choice of words in proclaiming the Church to be divided.  The Church can never be divided.  People can separate themselves from the Church, and the Church can formally recognize that they have done so, but the Church is never divided.  By saying it is, you are either claiming that the Body of Christ has been cut in two, or you are choosing your words without much care, because the Protestants will latch onto those words and take it as evidence that the Orthodox see themselves as just one more denomination.
You are of course free to your opinions, and I of course have already expressed my own apprehensions about this organization, however (A) there seems be to be no reason to make it personal about HIM Haile Selassie I and further make accusations of heresy against the Defender of the Faith and (B) I am duty bound to respect the discipline of my jurisdiction, and if His Holiness Abune Paulos actively works with the WCC, as has the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church for some decades now, I must respect and defend such as a matter of faith.

Further, Gebre Menfes Kidus is the OP, and I am equally obliged to let that brother know where our jurisdiction stands on this matter as he shares such and further asked the question specifically.

It seems we need to look at this speech again folks read it a bit wrong:

It is with feelings of great spiritual and personal happiness that We witness the convening of this meeting of the Central Committee of the World Council of Churches in Our capital city.
This is particularly so as it is more timely than ever for followers of Christ to gather to deliberate on current vital issues affecting international peace and justice.
Man's egoistic motives and his selfish desire to pursue exclusively his own individual interests, thus failing in his God-given task of following the goal of the unity of all, is witness to the feebleness of human nature, and constitutes the major obstacle to the unity of all Christians towards which we strive.
How long will we, who are disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, who are taught by the same Holy Bible, continue to remain divided amongst ourselves?
Realizing that the time has come for the Church of Christ, divided for many centuries up till now, to come together in unity and work together,
it is imperative for all of us to strive together, in accordance with the words of the Apostle, Ephesians, Chapter 4, verses 5 and 6 to clear the way and open it up for the realization of unity. Each church and all churches have the obligation, derived from their covenant with God, to proclaim the Gospel, to make disciples of all nations and thus to make the faith grow and bear fruit.
We Christians living by the faith of Christ, the Head and Pillar on whom the Church is founded, cannot escape the responsibility to work for the peace of the world, and to ensure equality for all human beings created by God, lest we fail in our duty by being mere passive witnesses to the gruesome spectacle of human beings, created in the image of God, being deprived by virtue of their color or their poverty, of the benefits and blessings that are the birthright of every man and all men, and suffering in agony, cast forth from the pale of full human existence.
Man does not live by bread alone. The spiritual life does not deny, however, the need for bread. Therefore, the spiritual life of humanity must necessarily include the common aspiration of all of us for a better standard of living and for greater improvement in the quality of human existence.
May God our Creator, the Helper and guiding Light of us all, grant you His wisdom that your meeting may bear fruit for His glory. We sincerely wish you all success and pray that God may lead you to that unity which Christians all over the world eagerly await.

If folks can't see that the Church is divided, y'all are simply lying to yourselves.  The Body of Christ is eternally unified, but folks continue to assert their imaginary divisions, and this is what HIM is addressing, that indeed the Church is of course united as One Body, so perhaps its time we all act like it instead of continually splintering into Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Anglican, Roman Catholic, Byzantine-Catholic, Melkite Catholic, Lutheran, etc etc..

HIM couldn't have made up such a silly story if HIM tried, let alone the reality that HIM was just pointing  out history.  Further, lets focus on the highlight of that speech, " lest we fail in our duty by being mere passive witnesses to the gruesome spectacle of human beings."  Unity is strength. Let us pray for such as HIM ended HIM speech saying "We sincerely with you all the success and pray that God may lead you to that unity.."

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:37:29 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 01:31:34 AM »

No, Habte, what Selassie is assterting here is that the Church has always been divided and that includes the Protestants. The problem here is the Protestants were never a part of the Church nor did they protest against the Orthodox Church. We should not even be dialouging with them, insofar as union.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 02:31:17 AM »

Habte, if Ethiopian Orthodox are required to "defend as a matter of faith" the decision by your hierarch to be in the WCC, your faith and mine have nothing to do with each other.

Further, unity isn't strength.  God is strength.  The Church is the Body of Christ, the Holy Spirit dwells within each of its members.  Therefore, the Church is strength, no imaginary need for "unity."  The Church is made NO stronger by John Q. Smith joining.  It is made NO weaker by Jacob Bobson leaving.  It is not, in ANY way, harmed by the existence of schisms, because the truth is that those who are not in the Church - because of schism - are not in the Church.  They have not wounded the Body of Christ, but merely themselves. 

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 02:39:01 AM »

Anyways, His Imperial Majesty was either speaking heresy or was using a very poor choice of words in proclaiming the Church to be divided.  The Church can never be divided.  People can separate themselves from the Church, and the Church can formally recognize that they have done so, but the Church is never divided.  By saying it is, you are either claiming that the Body of Christ has been cut in two, or you are choosing your words without much care, because the Protestants will latch onto those words and take it as evidence that the Orthodox see themselves as just one more denomination.
You are of course free to your opinions, and I of course have already expressed my own apprehensions about this organization, however (A) there seems be to be no reason to make it personal about HIM Haile Selassie I and further make accusations of heresy against the Defender of the Faith and (B) I am duty bound to respect the discipline of my jurisdiction, and if His Holiness Abune Paulos actively works with the WCC, as has the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church for some decades now, I must respect and defend such as a matter of faith.

Further, Gebre Menfes Kidus is the OP, and I am equally obliged to let that brother know where our jurisdiction stands on this matter as he shares such and further asked the question specifically.

It seems we need to look at this speech again folks read it a bit wrong:

Realizing that the time has come for the Church of Christ, divided for many centuries up till now, to come together in unity and work together,
it is imperative for all of us to strive together, in accordance with the words of the Apostle, Ephesians, Chapter 4, verses 5 and 6 to clear the way and open it up for the realization of unity. Each church and all churches have the obligation, derived from their covenant with God, to proclaim the Gospel, to make disciples of all nations and thus to make the faith grow and bear fruit.

If folks can't see that the Church is divided, y'all are simply lying to yourselves.  The Body of Christ is eternally unified, but folks continue to assert their imaginary divisions, and this is what HIM is addressing, that indeed the Church is of course united as One Body, so perhaps its time we all act like it instead of continually splintering into Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Anglican, Roman Catholic, Byzantine-Catholic, Melkite Catholic, Lutheran, etc etc..

HIM couldn't have made up such a silly story if HIM tried, let alone the reality that HIM was just pointing  out history.  Further, lets focus on the highlight of that speech, " lest we fail in our duty by being mere passive witnesses to the gruesome spectacle of human beings."  Unity is strength. Let us pray for such as HIM ended HIM speech saying "We sincerely with you all the success and pray that God may lead you to that unity.."

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Good thoughts brother. Like you, I too defer to the wisdom of His Majesty and the security of the Tewahedo Church. That's why I included the option of "It was OK in the past but not OK now." I wonder if His Majesty would support the EOTC's involvement in the WCC today? I have no idea. But I think it's worth reconsidering. His Majesty dealt with so many important issues, being politically shrewd without compromising or sacificing Orthodox truth and Orthodox values.

As for whether or not the Church is divided, this is my humble opinion: The Church itself cannot be divided, for Christ preserves it always. However, there are most certainly internal divisions within the Church. And I agree that His Majesty was referring to these internal divisions that must be ameliorated through the reconciliation that is born form humility, love, and understanding.

Christianity is fractured, but the Church is not. Ecumenical efforts to unify Christianity are futile at best and demonic at worst. But ecumenical efforts to heal the internal divisions within Orthodoxy are quite necessary and productive in my humble opinion.

Selam

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 03:27:50 AM »

I voted for "Yes" provided that it doesn't contradict with Orthodox ecclesiology. Despite all the nonsense connected with ecumenism I still believe that we should work for Christian unity no matter how hard it might seem.
vasily
Warned

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox church in america

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »

No! No! No! The Orthodox involvement in any of these ecumenical movements have been pursued blindly and are delusional in their thinking that something positive will take place, that our presence is needed and that some "common ground" will be pursued or achieved. A true dialogue implies an exchange of views with a possibility of persuading the participant to attain an agreement. The Church addresses to them a monologue inviting them to return to its fold through rejection of any dissenting doctrines.

Union with all the Orthodox Churches should come first, so that peace and love will exist among the Eastern Orthodox Churches and faithful. Then let's contemplate union with the other confessions , only if they sincerely desire to embrace Orthodox dogmas, theology and traditions.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 09:14:52 AM »

No! No! No! The Orthodox involvement in any of these ecumenical movements have been pursued blindly and are delusional in their thinking that something positive will take place, that our presence is needed and that some "common ground" will be pursued or achieved. A true dialogue implies an exchange of views with a possibility of persuading the participant to attain an agreement. The Church addresses to them a monologue inviting them to return to its fold through rejection of any dissenting doctrines.

Union with all the Orthodox Churches should come first, so that peace and love will exist among the Eastern Orthodox Churches and faithful. Then let's contemplate union with the other confessions , only if they sincerely desire to embrace Orthodox dogmas, theology and traditions.

I agree with you but I do think that we should have observer status in order to keep abreast of developments and to provide continuing witness. 

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 01:05:09 PM »

I agree with you but I do think that we should have observer status in order to keep abreast of developments and to provide continuing witness. 
+1,000

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 02:14:34 PM »

I like the stance of the RCC: sending observers to the WCC (thus participating in a limited way) without actually joining. The WCC operates essentially on the principle that all denominations are part of the Body. This is not in harmony with our understanding of what the Church is.

This is one of the times the RCC is right.  Observe but don't get involved.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 02:41:02 PM »

^I agree

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Father H
Archon

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 11:05:31 PM »

And I think you are correct that this is what we need to do.  As observers no ridiculous hoop jumping has to be done. 
Father H
Archon

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 11:20:13 PM »

I voted for "Yes" provided that it doesn't contradict with Orthodox ecclesiology. Despite all the nonsense connected with ecumenism I still believe that we should work for Christian unity no matter how hard it might seem.

No doubt.  But the question is whether the WCC with its semi-pagan prayer rituals and ridiculous leanings toward trans-galactic Orkan heresies is the forum in which this can even happen realistically.  It is just a bizarre organization at this point.  Just go and attend as an observer one of the state versions of the NCC meetings.   You'll just feel creeped out and dirty from attending.  I speak from experience.  There are more respectible forums that do the same thing and cannot be mistaken for a commerical for a sci-fi film. 
vasily
Warned

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 08:09:30 AM »

Personally, I am against even observer participation. The Orthodox Church in North America has many issues to confront, such as the jurisdictional and unity problems. I am a firm believer in missionary work to spread and teach about the Orthodox Faith. Our involvement in any of these ecumenical circles has not accomplished or changed anything. Have converts come to the Orthodox Church because of our presence in these movements?

As a side note, I can not understand why certain Orthodox jurisdictions are still involved with these Catholic-Orthodox theological discussions. Have any real problems been resolved?
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 10:30:10 AM »

As a side note, I can not understand why certain Orthodox jurisdictions are still involved with these Catholic-Orthodox theological discussions. Have any real problems been resolved?
From what i've read and heard, in the US alot has been accomplished.

PP

Gregory the Great
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »

Have converts come to the Orthodox Church because of our presence in these movements?

Yes.

There are more respectible forums that do the same thing and cannot be mistaken for a commerical for a sci-fi film. 

LOL. I meant exactly these kind of things with "all the nonsense connected with ecumenism". Still, are there any alternatives to WCC? Are there any other global organizations for ecumenical discissussion?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:24:00 PM by Alpo » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 01:00:31 PM »

Yes.
Source please. I'd LOVE to read someone saying "I was Muslim then converted to Orthodoxy because of the WCC, or I was Baptist and saw the error of my ways at a WCC meeting and came back to the original Church....

I meant exactly these kind of things with "all the nonsense connected with ecumenism". Still, are there any alternatives to WCC?
Such as, alternatives to sitting around and making predcictable statements and doing really nothing? Yes.

Are there any other global organizations for ecumenical discissussion?
I dont know about global, but there are other groups formed nationally (NCC) and they're equally worthless.

Direct dialogue is best. In America, real progress is being made between the Orthodox and the Roman Church. That is how it should be done. These 2 churches want to find common ground, and pray for rejoining. When is the last time you heard a 7th day adventist or a baptist pray the same thing? I say look no further than Western Rite Orthodoxy. That had nothing to do with some grand ecumenical group, but direct communication between Episcopalians and the Orthodox.

These grand congresses of denominations do nothing but diminish what Orthodoxy says. That we are the Church of Christ handed down from the Apostles and that we are the fullness of the faith and the Body. Sitting around a round table with these folks who have no intention of rejoining the Church is a waste of time and money that can better be used to minister to the faithful and spread the Gospel.

Everything else, as King Solomon said so succinctly, is vanity.

PP

Gregory the Great
Father H
Archon

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 03:35:56 PM »

Have converts come to the Orthodox Church because of our presence in these movements?

Yes.

There are more respectible forums that do the same thing and cannot be mistaken for a commerical for a sci-fi film. 

LOL. I meant exactly these kind of things with "all the nonsense connected with ecumenism". Still, are there any alternatives to WCC? Are there any other global organizations for ecumenical discissussion?

No there are no worldwide orgs.  I was remarking on the NCC and state chapters in particular.   The only worldwide "orgs" are not organizations, but individual dialogues (Orthodox-RCC, Orthodox-Anglican, Orthodox-Lutheran, etc.).  These probably are better than an organization anyway.  How can we be "members" of a para-ecclesial organization anyway? 
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2012, 04:25:41 PM »

Yes.
Source please. I'd LOVE to read someone saying "I was Muslim then converted to Orthodoxy because of the WCC, or I was Baptist and saw the error of my ways at a WCC meeting and came back to the original Church....

Learn Finnish first. Wink Anyway, they'd probably be something like "Gee, they aren't Mary-worshipping Pagans after all!"

Such as, alternatives to sitting around and making predcictable statements and doing really nothing? Yes.

I think clearing the misconceptions is more than nothing. The most staunchly anti-ecumenist folks seem to be those who doesn't know what other Christians actually believe. And by "staunchly anti-ecumenist" I don't mean strict adherence to Orthodox doctrines. I'm rather rigid on that area myself.

How can we be "members" of a para-ecclesial organization anyway?  

It's not para-ecclesial organization if we're talking about WCC. I believe there is a document that clearly states that membership in WCC doesn't mean accepting other members as legitimate local churches.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:30:25 PM by Alpo » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2012, 05:02:03 PM »

I believe there is a document that clearly states that membership in WCC doesn't mean accepting other members as legitimate local churches.

Ditto.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2012, 05:15:07 PM »

I believe there is a document that clearly states that membership in WCC doesn't mean accepting other members as legitimate local churches
Saying that means nothing. Actions mean far more. So you mean to tell me that all these folks sit down together knowing that they're not the legitimate Chruch? Then these pople are far more stupid than I originally thought.

PP

Gregory the Great
Father H
Archon

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2012, 06:17:02 PM »

"Membership," its a problem, no? 
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2012, 11:16:34 PM »

And I think you are correct that this is what we need to do.  As observers no ridiculous hoop jumping has to be done. 

Our hierarchs and representatives can just sit there and be insulted by the more "enlightened" Protestants.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Father H
Archon

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2012, 11:23:18 PM »

Our hierarchs and representatives can just sit there and be insulted by the more "enlightened" Protestants.

I don't know.  I don't think that people who watch the circus from the stands are insulted by the clowns and jugglers.  But still does not hurt to be in proximity just in case they want to bail on the circus owners and use their talents for more noble things. 
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 02:27:31 AM »

Actions mean far more.

What actions you had in mind?

So you mean to tell me that all these folks sit down together knowing that they're not the legitimate Chruch? Then these pople are far more stupid than I originally thought.

I find it as an expression of good manners. They might think that we are a little eccentric and old-fashioned but tolerating others while disagreeing with them is rather nice for a change. Back in the good old days different kind of Christians were killing each other. I rather like the present situatiot in that we talk and understand instead of attack and kill.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 06:52:17 AM »

I find it as an expression of good manners. They might think that we are a little eccentric and old-fashioned but tolerating others while disagreeing with them is rather nice for a change. Back in the good old days different kind of Christians were killing each other. I rather like the present situatiot in that we talk and understand instead of attack and kill.

Smiley

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 09:17:37 AM »

Actions mean far more.

What actions you had in mind?

So you mean to tell me that all these folks sit down together knowing that they're not the legitimate Chruch? Then these pople are far more stupid than I originally thought.

Exactly.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2012, 10:25:37 AM »

Ok, good manners. Fine. So we blow all this time and money on good manners and get nothing accomplished except for issuing statements that should not need to be stated. Ok, yeah we all get it. AIDS is bad. We should work together. Hungry people are hungry. "AIDS and the Church as a Healing Community". Yeah big whoop. Has it done anything? No.

Its just another exercise of self feather stroking.

Nice statements, feel good words, and smileys wont change that.

PP

Gregory the Great
vasily
Warned

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2012, 10:31:25 AM »

From what i've read and heard, in the US alot has been accomplished.

PP

These theological dialogues between the Catholics and Orthodox are local. Are we to believe that Rome will return to orthodox teachings and denounce the Latin teachings of purgatory, Immaculate Conception, Original Sin, Papal infallibility, celibate clergy, and to omit the filioque in the Creed? The Eastern Rite dilemma has yet to be seriously confronted. What about the Latin Patriarchs that exist in traditionally Orthodox cities?

What is the solution? I personally think that any dialogue should be on a Patriarchal level. with all Orthodox bishops in total agreement on the agenda at hand. Common ground is out of the question, when it is Rome who should desire to return to Orthodoxy.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2012, 10:37:49 AM »

These theological dialogues between the Catholics and Orthodox are local. Are we to believe that Rome will return to orthodox teachings and denounce the Latin teachings of purgatory, Immaculate Conception, Original Sin, Papal infallibility, celibate clergy, and to omit the filioque in the Creed? The Eastern Rite dilemma has yet to be seriously confronted. What about the Latin Patriarchs that exist in traditionally Orthodox cities?
Thats why I think in the US there has been some progress. Because we dont have the historical problems that would make such dialogues impossible in countries like Ukraine.

I personally think that any dialogue should be on a Patriarchal level. with all Orthodox bishops in total agreement on the agenda at hand
As we've discussed earlier, and in other threads that would be a feat in and of itself.

PP

Gregory the Great
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2012, 10:59:58 AM »

Has it done anything?

I'm not that hopeful about impending Chrstian unity in my lifetime. Still, we most certainly should work for it how hard it might seem.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2012, 11:00:36 AM »

Frankly, the WCC has become more or less irrelevant in the modern world so I don't lose any sleep over it.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2012, 11:48:23 AM »

I'm not that hopeful about impending Chrstian unity in my lifetime. Still, we most certainly should work for it how hard it might seem
Of course we should pray for unity, but unity in the manner of the WCC is not unity as Orthodox or RC's would see it. You can not have unity in that way if half or more of the members refuse to even acknowledge a physical Church, and only say the Church is invisible.

PP

Gregory the Great
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2012, 12:10:21 PM »

pp is correct on one lever regarding unity.

However, if all Christians can speak with one voice on issues where we MUST agree - persecution, oppression etc... we can all benefit. Should we not speak out as Christians against the violence directed at Copts in Egypt, Chaldeans in Iraq, Catholics in Nigeria and Protestants in other parts of the world? If we focus on what divides us, which in many cases is insurmountable, how can we witness and speak out on that which we share? Tough call, not an easy choice indeed.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2012, 12:16:10 PM »

However, if all Christians can speak with one voice on issues where we MUST agree - persecution, oppression etc... we can all benefit. Should we not speak out as Christians against the violence directed at Copts in Egypt, Chaldeans in Iraq, Catholics in Nigeria and Protestants in other parts of the world? If we focus on what divides us, which in many cases is insurmountable, how can we witness and speak out on that which we share? Tough call, not an easy choice indeed.
I agree with this. The point which I probably did not make very well was if this group only issues these statements, which are needed but rather predictable and does nothing else, what good is it? This group was not formed to work towards recompiling to the One Church of Christ.

PP

Gregory the Great
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2012, 12:21:04 PM »

I agree with this. The point which I probably did not make very well was if this group only issues these statements, which are needed but rather predictable and does nothing else, what good is it? This group was not formed to work towards recompiling to the One Church of Christ.

PP

While some militant Orthodox may disagree on this, perhaps the WCC could do more to actually encourage all who profess belief in Christ as the Savior of Mankind to be more tolerant of those who so profess but in a different manner than oneself? On the local level our county's  Council of Churches runs an ecumenical community based food bank, sponsors programs to assist senior homeowners, victims of our recent floods etc... We don't try to 'commune' together, but we do try to live together.

Less doctrinal discussion, more community action and the WCC might be a valuable witness to the apathetic world. But that is probably too much to hope for.....
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 12:23:33 PM »

While some militant Orthodox may disagree on this, perhaps the WCC could do more to actually encourage all who profess belief in Christ as the Savior of Mankind to be more tolerant of those who so profess but in a different manner than oneself?
That would be a start.

On the local level our county's  Council of Churches runs an ecumenical community based food bank, sponsors programs to assist senior homeowners, victims of our recent floods etc... We don't try to 'commune' together, but we do try to live together
I wish we could do something like that here, but we're filled with churches that believe Anglicans, Orthodox, and Roman Catholics are not really Christians, so that would go over as well as a fart in Church.

Less doctrinal discussion, more community action and the WCC might be a valuable witness to the apathetic world. But that is probably too much to hope for.....
Aint that the truth.

PP

Gregory the Great
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2012, 12:36:07 PM »

While some militant Orthodox may disagree on this, perhaps the WCC could do more to actually encourage all who profess belief in Christ as the Savior of Mankind to be more tolerant of those who so profess but in a different manner than oneself?
That would be a start.

On the local level our county's  Council of Churches runs an ecumenical community based food bank, sponsors programs to assist senior homeowners, victims of our recent floods etc... We don't try to 'commune' together, but we do try to live together
I wish we could do something like that here, but we're filled with churches that believe Anglicans, Orthodox, and Roman Catholics are not really Christians, so that would go over as well as a fart in Church.

Aint that the truth.

PP

Those groups which believe that Anglicans, Orthodox and RC's are not Christian usually shun local councils of churches and the WCC. Not much you can do about them except pray.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2012, 12:37:57 PM »

unity in the manner of the WCC is not unity as Orthodox or RC's would see it.

Nor it tries to be. WCC most certainly doesn't claim to be a church.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2012, 12:47:08 PM »

I know it does not claim to be a church, but to me, it is very hypocritical for RC's and orthodox to sit down with folks that outright deny these Church's main claim. That they are the visible Church of Christ.

This council was not created to work towards unity, but to really just issue statements. I just think it is a waste of time.
PP

Gregory the Great
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »

I know it does not claim to be a church, but to me, it is very hypocritical for RC's and orthodox to sit down with folks that outright deny these Church's main claim. That they are the visible Church of Christ.

This council was not created to work towards unity, but to really just issue statements. I just think it is a waste of time.
PP

So we should stop working for Christian unity because it's hard and because someone might disagree with us? Smiley
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »

So we should stop working for Christian unity because it's hard and because someone might disagree with us?
They're not working on Christian unity, at least not in the way Orthodox and Roman Catholics view unity.

Issuing a joint statement is not unity. It is a joint statement ascribed to by different parties.
If the WCC wanted unity, they would meet to try to hammer out theological and practical disagreements to make the attempt to unite into one Church, as it was in the beginning. They are not doing that. It is not unity, and is a waste of time.

It is simply the NCC on a bigger scale.

PP

Gregory the Great
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »

We already have Christian Unity.  What we are discussing is "dialogue" with pagans and heretics. 

PP

So we should stop working for Christian unity because it's hard and because someone might disagree with us? Smiley

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 03:08:26 PM »

We already have Christian Unity.  What we are discussing is "dialogue" with pagans and heretics. 

Not really. We have ecclesiological unity. However I've yeat to hear any Orthodox of any Old Calendarist or New Calendarist variety who refuses to call the Heterodox as Christians.

Anyway, call it whathever you want. We still have sort of obligation to "have dialogue with pagans and heretics".
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2012, 04:31:55 PM »

We already have Christian Unity.
We do? Evidently Im not Mr. Current Events......

We still have sort of obligation to "have dialogue with pagans and heretics".
We do. However, dialogue does not equal unity.

PP

Gregory the Great
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2012, 04:53:36 PM »

We have been discussing a biased definition of unity as "uniting the Church", which obviously both Protestants and Orthodox/Catholic disagree, otherwise there wouldn't be division in the first place! Protestants have their own criticisms of the Church, and the Church has obvious criticisms about Protestantism, and so to be "united" with these is obviously stretch.  Much like the Arabs and the Israelis, we may not be able to settle our existential differences, but surely we'll have to learn to get along one way or the other.   I don't think that the unity of Christians which HIM was speaking of in 1971 was some kind of crypto-reunion, because such is realistically an impossibility.  Simply put, if Protestants want to unite, all they have to do is be baptized and convert or return from their straying and be Chrismated back into their rightful fold.  This is the only "unity" which could be acceptable to the Orthodox perspective, let alone the complications in reunion between Latins, Orthodox, and Orientals.  However, I think the unity which HIM was implying is a function of acting in unison in social and political causes.  We share inherent Christian values and political ideologies as well as cultural and psychological principles, we should be building on this.  If we can't unite as One Church, the least we can do is begin to act more in unison as a society of Christians.  It is the same as the expectations which HIM had for the plurality of the Ethiopian population, and which the American ideals aspire towards, that a pluralistic society can at least learn to get alone more or less.  While the be united is surely an impossibility, to learn to cooperate and act in unison is surely a pragmatic goal.  We all work with, attend school with, and are neighbors of many different kinds of people, and we seem to find a way to work out our differences and act in unison to get our jobs done, to succeed in our educations, and to live side by side as neighbors, shouldn't Christians, albeit theologically divergent, to at least settle for a neighborly cooperation? What is the mechanism of this acting towards unison, mutual dialogue.  What do we need for dialogue, a mutual forum for discussion.  This is precisely why HIM was a founding father of both the League of Nations, the United Nations, the Organization of African Unity, the Conference of Oriental Churches, and yes, even the World Council of Churches.

Unity is strength.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2012, 05:09:37 PM »

We still have sort of obligation to "have dialogue with pagans and heretics".
We do. However, dialogue does not equal unity.

Agreed.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »

so perhaps its time we all act like it instead of continually splintering into Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Anglican, Roman Catholic, Byzantine-Catholic, Melkite Catholic, Lutheran, etc etc..

At the risk of going off on a tangent, Roman Catholics, Byzantine-Catholics, and Melkite Catholics are already in full communion with one another.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2012, 07:09:16 PM »

But what about the possibility of retaining membership but at the same time avoiding the hoop-jumping? (Not a rhetorical question, I'm really wondering.)

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »

No, Habte, what Selassie is assterting here is that the Church has always been divided and that includes the Protestants. The problem here is the Protestants were never a part of the Church nor did they protest against the Orthodox Church.

Indeed the Reformation happened at a time when East and West were estranged from each other. I'd say that's a key reason that the Reformation was, well, the way that it was.

We should not even be dialouging with them, insofar as union.

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2012, 12:17:01 AM »

Not really. We have ecclesiological unity. However I've yeat to hear any Orthodox of any Old Calendarist or New Calendarist variety who refuses to call the Heterodox as Christians.

Anyway, call it whathever you want. We still have sort of obligation to "have dialogue with pagans and heretics".

If I can be a Christian outside the Church, then I guess that I do not need the Church.  We have no obligation for dialogue.  Our obligation is to proclaim the Truth, not engage and be part of pagan rituals and common prayer with heretics.  Proclamation is a one way process.  We do not need dialogue since the heterodox have nothing to offer us, if we are indeed the True Body of Christ.  The message that we send, regardless of our caveates and weasle words, is that there is more than one Church, and that it is divided (or there would be no need for unity).  Membership is a form of unity.  Observation is not.  The WCC is Antichrist and taints us by our membership.  I have seen a lot of cooperation among religions at the local level without them praying together, holding rituals together and the like.  Why are these things required at such a high and very public arena.  The Orthodox membership in the WCC is a great stumbling block to other Christians (yes, privately I believe some of them are, in spite of what some of the Fathers say).   

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2012, 12:17:49 AM »

But what about the possibility of retaining membership but at the same time avoiding the hoop-jumping? (Not a rhetorical question, I'm really wondering.)

What is so important about membership?  Isn't being a member of Christ's Body enough?

Father H
Archon

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2012, 01:22:22 AM »

What is so important about membership?  Isn't being a member of Christ's Body enough?

And that is a major problem with having "membership" in such a body.  Can a patriarchate be a "member" of anything else other than Christ's Church?  There is something ecclesiologically very wrong with that.   We can have "representatives" but cannot be as a Body a member of some other body.   
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2012, 03:21:30 AM »

If I can be a Christian outside the Church, then I guess that I do not need the Church.

Of course the Heterodox can't be Christians in the same sense as we are.

We have no obligation for dialogue.

We seek and we pray for our return to that time when, being united, we spoke the same things and there was no schism between us.
- St. Mark of Ephesus

We seek not conquest but the return of our brethren, whose separation from us is tearing us apart.
- St Gregory of Nazianzen

Our obligation is to proclaim the Truth, not engage and be part of pagan rituals and common prayer with heretics.

Ecumenism does not need common prayers and Pagan rituals. I generally refrain from common prayers with non-Orthodox myself.

We do not need dialogue since the heterodox have nothing to offer us, if we are indeed the True Body of Christ.

We need dialogue so that the Heterodox understand our doctrine and so that we understand the various Heterodox doctrines. And sometimes so that some Heterodox will understand that our doctrines are better than their own doctrines.

The message that we send, regardless of our caveates and weasle words, is that there is more than one Church, and that it is divided (or there would be no need for unity).  Membership is a form of unity.

I'm a member of an Finnish Pentecostal internet forum. Does that make me a Pentecostal? Smiley
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2012, 10:47:20 AM »

Thats the thing. most of these folks adhere to them ALL being a member of Christ's invisible Church. This poses a slight problem....

There is something ecclesiologically very wrong with that.   We can have "representatives" but cannot be as a Body a member of some other body.
I think that would be fair to do.

I'm a member of an Finnish Pentecostal internet forum. Does that make me a Pentecostal?
No that makes you a more frequent partaker of headache medicine Wink

PP

Gregory the Great
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2012, 11:02:51 AM »

I am just posting to the original point & not in step otherwise. I voted, "no" because I think the ecclesial & theological breakdown in the "main line" Protestant churches has become irreparable & any concession to it would be like introducing a virus into the ecclesia (non tradtional marriage, clergy gender issues etc.). True there remain "orthodox" Protestants & I  pray for their perseverance to Christian faith. Perhaps dialogue outside the WCC & with tradtional leanin Christians like the confessing Methodists, Anglican Catholics etc. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:05:06 AM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »

Thats the thing. most of these folks adhere to them ALL being a member of Christ's invisible Church. This poses a slight problem....

Most of them probably haven't heard very much in the way of alternate theories.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2012, 03:54:03 PM »

Most of them probably haven't heard very much in the way of alternate theories.
Quite possible Smiley

PP

Gregory the Great
vasily
Warned

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2012, 08:41:26 AM »

If I can be a Christian outside the Church, then I guess that I do not need the Church.

Of course the Heterodox can't be Christians in the same sense as we are.

We have no obligation for dialogue.

We seek and we pray for our return to that time when, being united, we spoke the same things and there was no schism between us.
- St. Mark of Ephesus

We seek not conquest but the return of our brethren, whose separation from us is tearing us apart.
- St Gregory of Nazianzen

Our obligation is to proclaim the Truth, not engage and be part of pagan rituals and common prayer with heretics.

Ecumenism does not need common prayers and Pagan rituals. I generally refrain from common prayers with non-Orthodox myself.

We do not need dialogue since the heterodox have nothing to offer us, if we are indeed the True Body of Christ.

We need dialogue so that the Heterodox understand our doctrine and so that we understand the various Heterodox doctrines. And sometimes so that some Heterodox will understand that our doctrines are better than their own doctrines.

The message that we send, regardless of our caveates and weasle words, is that there is more than one Church, and that it is divided (or there would be no need for unity).  Membership is a form of unity.

I'm a member of an Finnish Pentecostal internet forum. Does that make me a Pentecostal? Smiley

Since the Orthodox doctrines are the right ones(not the better ones), why do we need to understand the various heterodox doctrines? The truth is avoided when one seeks common ground. It is they, the heterodox, who have separated themselves from the true faith, the true theology and teachings. The Church addresses to them a monologue inviting them to return to its fold through rejection of any dissenting doctrines. We have become delusional in our thinking that our presence is vital in any of these church councils. We have become distracted and in some aspects have tried to fit in. The priority in the Orthodox Church is missionary work, to educate those outside the church. Lectures and other programs should be scheduled. We invite you to come and see. This should be done on a parish level and even on a community level, if there exists more than one Orthodox community in the area. We should be working together to go and teach all nations.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2012, 09:00:31 AM »

Since the Orthodox doctrines are the right ones(not the better ones), why do we need to understand the various heterodox doctrines?

In order not to bear false witness against our neighbour. Which seems to be favourite hobby of most vocal anti-ecumenists.

The Church addresses to them a monologue inviting them to return to its fold through rejection of any dissenting doctrines.

And The Church also tries to understand and discusses with all kinds of people.

The priority in the Orthodox Church is missionary work, to educate those outside the church.

I don't see how is contradictiory to ecumenism. We can and should have both.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »

Since the Orthodox doctrines are the right ones(not the better ones), why do we need to understand the various heterodox doctrines?

In order not to bear false witness against our neighbour. Which seems to be favourite hobby of most vocal anti-ecumenists.

The Church addresses to them a monologue inviting them to return to its fold through rejection of any dissenting doctrines.

The priority in the Orthodox Church is missionary work, to educate those outside the church.

I would just add that one reason for talking to each other is too determine if any of the expressions and words that others may use to describe this or that concept are truly at odds with Orthodox teaching or if they are simply misconstrued and whether any perceived differences have been exaggerated over time as a result of linguistic usage, distance and by the use of heated polemic as a rhetorical tool.
vasily
Warned

« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2012, 12:14:53 PM »

What has been gained by the involvement of the Orthodox in any of these ecumenical circles? Has our presence ,after all these years as members, produced anything positive?
Has any of the heterodox seen the true light and converted to Orthodoxy en masse, because of our presence?

The involvement of the Orthodox, from the very beginning, was to present an opportunity for an articulate Orthodox witness, as the Orthodox Church is the True Faith. This idea has not become reality. The heterodox have left or separated from the True Faith, changed theology, teachings etc. They have become the lost sheep and it is our responsibility to have them return to the true fold. Has this occurred because of our involvement in any of these ecumenical movements? Have our discussions with the heterodox and our understanding of them proved anything?  Like I stated previously, some who support our involvement have become delusional in their thinking that something positive will occur.

I cannot stress the importance of our involvement in missionary work, though certain community programs, lectures, ethnic fairs(this is a great opportunity to hand out Orthodox materials), etc.

Missionary work is contradictory to ecumenism. I am totally unaware that the Orthodox were doing any kind of missionary work at these ecumenical council meetings. I do not recall any large groups from these ecumenical meetings converting to Orthodoxy.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »

In order not to bear false witness against our neighbour. Which seems to be favourite hobby of most vocal anti-ecumenists
nobody is bearing false witness, I just think that Orthodoxy does not need to "play house" with other groups that have no intention of having 1 united Christian Church.

I would just add that one reason for talking to each other is too determine if any of the expressions and words that others may use to describe this or that concept are truly at odds with Orthodox teaching or if they are simply misconstrued and whether any perceived differences have been exaggerated over time as a result of linguistic usage, distance and by the use of heated polemic as a rhetorical tool
You dont need to join a group and be identified with others to know what they believe.

What has been gained by the involvement of the Orthodox in any of these ecumenical circles? Has our presence ,after all these years as members, produced anything positive?
Has any of the heterodox seen the true light and converted to Orthodoxy en masse, because of our presence?
I'll answer, since someone said WAY back that folks have converted because of such things, but gave no evidence because non exists. no, I am pretty darn sure nobody has converted for it.

The involvement of the Orthodox, from the very beginning, was to present an opportunity for an articulate Orthodox witness, as the Orthodox Church is the True Faith. This idea has not become reality. The heterodox have left or separated from the True Faith, changed theology, teachings etc. They have become the lost sheep and it is our responsibility to have them return to the true fold. Has this occurred because of our involvement in any of these ecumenical movements? Have our discussions with the heterodox and our understanding of them proved anything?  Like I stated previously, some who support our involvement have become delusional in their thinking that something positive will occur
+1

One more thing, let us look at the Apostles and the Fathers. Did the Apostles form a a group to "understand and be united with our brothers in Judaism?" Nope. What about the schismatic churches? Did Orthodoxy form a group to better "understand" and "stand with" the Nestorians after they were deemed heretical? Nope. Why should we?

PP

Gregory the Great
vasily
Warned

« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2012, 01:58:45 PM »

These ecumenical councils have included Jews, Muslims, animists, Hindus, and other non-Christian groups. I have absolutely nothing against learning about other religions, but I have no real need to understand their so called doctrines, since Orthodox, is the true faith.My purpose when confronted by a non-Orthodox ,is to educate them about the Orthodox Faith, not find commonalities. Do you discuss doctrines when confronted by a Jehovah Witness? As the late Father Florovsky stated," Reunification will only happen by way of a process of recognizing the delusion and pride which have caused schisms and by way of repentance." The Orthodox Church is Living Tradition, which is sacred and Holy. The Orthodox Church, in witnessing Christ among the heterodox, can never regard herself as just another denomination among a multitude of others, or another branch of some wider Church. The Orthodox are not linked to another church outside of Orthodoxy. The WCC would have you think otherwise, since we all pray to the same God and that we should embrace all religions. Joint prayer, joint cooperation, and co-signing of its pronouncements help this confederation  to cultivate its consciousness as an 'ecumenical church", embracing everyone and stressing our commonalities. What place does Holy Orthodoxy have in a pan-heretical organization which has turned into a club for religious people and groups in which, indeed, it is not necessary that they even be Christian. What real contribution does the Orthodox make by remaining in these types of "clubs"? Has our presence spread the Truth of Orthodoxy? Has the heterodox returned to the unity of the Orthodox Faith and Church through dialogue in these ecumenical councils? Are the Orthodox, who feel the dire necessity, to continue to participate in these ecumenical clubs finally accepting an ecclesiological minimalism, a unity with the heterodox that is merely ethical in nature, a unity of syncretistic co-existence?
vasily
Warned

« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2012, 02:09:15 PM »

I would just add that one reason for talking to each other is too determine if any of the expressions and words that others may use to describe this or that concept are truly at odds with Orthodox teaching or if they are simply misconstrued and whether any perceived differences have been exaggerated over time as a result of linguistic usage, distance and by the use of heated polemic as a rhetorical tool.

Pure nonsense. Any faith outside of Orthodoxy is at odds with Orthodox teaching.  It is "they" that need to come back to the True Faith and denounce any false teachings.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2012, 02:54:05 PM »

vasily, I think you should study up on church history and learn what an ecumenical council is.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2012, 03:01:08 PM »

vasily, I think you should study up on church history and learn what an ecumenical council is.
I think by that, vasily is meaning like the WCC, the NCC, et al. Not THE councils.

PP

Gregory the Great
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2012, 03:02:46 PM »

Pure nonsense. Any faith outside of Orthodoxy is at odds with Orthodox teaching.  It is "they" that need to come back to the True Faith and denounce any false teachings.

If you ever have the opportunity, I would encourage you to ask Bishop Michael of the NY/NJ OCA Diocese, or Metropolitan Jonah for that matter, if this statement is, as you label it 'pure nonsense.' I suspect you would take issue with the response.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2012, 03:04:36 PM »

Alpo and podkarpatska stop being so reasonable.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »

In order not to bear false witness against our neighbour. Which seems to be favourite hobby of most vocal anti-ecumenists
nobody is bearing false witness

Many people most certainly are doing just that. Or have we forgot propaganda about worship of Mary? Or that we try to save ourselves by works and not at all by faith? etc.

One more thing, let us look at the Apostles and the Fathers.

Like St. Basil, St Gregory of Nazianzen and St. Mark of Ephesus?

Did the Apostles form a a group to "understand and be united with our brothers in Judaism?"

Inter-religious dialogue and ecumenism are two different things.

What about the schismatic churches? Did Orthodoxy form a group to better "understand" and "stand with" the Nestorians after they were deemed heretical? Nope.

Somehow I doubt that the Fathers refused to listen and learn what they believe in and pontificated on an internet forum instead. Smiley

Why should we?

Because we're Orthodox Christians.

Quote from: vasily
Missionary work is contradictory to ecumenism.

Why?

Pure nonsense. Any faith outside of Orthodoxy is at odds with Orthodox teaching.  It is "they" that need to come back to the True Faith and denounce any false teachings.

I don't think this is how the Fathers approached the issue.

EDIT: The funny thing is that I'm actually rather critical of ecumenism and here I find myself defending it.  Tongue
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:52:25 PM by Alpo » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2012, 03:51:21 PM »

Quote from: podkarpatska

Pure nonsense.

So you're saying that it could never happen that "expressions and words that others may use to describe this or that concept" appear to be at odds with Orthodox teaching but really aren't.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:52:27 PM by Peter J » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »

The funny thing is that I'm actually rather critical of ecumenism and here I find myself defending it.  Tongue

I'm rather critical of ecumenism, but on OCnet I feel like I'm always defending it!  Shocked   Grin

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:56:29 PM by Peter J » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2012, 03:58:20 PM »

The funny thing is that I'm actually rather critical of ecumenism and here I find myself defending it.  Tongue

I'm rather critical of ecumenism, but on OCnet I feel like I'm always defending it!  Shocked   Grin

I have the same relationship with Roman Catholicism.

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2012, 04:07:30 PM »

Quote from: podkarpatska

Pure nonsense.

So you're saying that it could never happen that "expressions and words that others may use to describe this or that concept" appear to be at odds with Orthodox teaching but really aren't.

As a simplistic example consider that Academic A may describe Mount Everest as " a very big mountain." Academic B may describe Everest as "a really tall mountain." Academic C may describe Everest as "a very tall, really big and 'difficult to climb mountain'. A, B and C are expressing variations of the same concept, but using different descriptive methods to convey each one's point.

If they are not discussing mountain climbing, A and B may take offense at C's gratuitous inclusion of the fact that Everest is difficult to climb. A and B may quibble about the distinction between big and tall. And so on....

That being said, as to that tiny, little fragment of a concept regarding the nature of the mountain, one can not say that A, B and C have a meaningful disagreement.

Now, if A asserts that Everest is a very big mountain, B asserts that 'bigness' is a relative concept and C wonders how can we determine what is, or is not, really a mountain; but if it is a mountain, than it is really tall and very big - then you have an insolvable dilemma.

Discussion - not compromise - allows one to separate the first example of disagreement from the second one. At that point you can begin to persuade B and C that there are such things as mountains and that  GPS technology can accurately determine their size.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2012, 04:09:33 PM »

Many people most certainly are doing just that. Or have we forgot propaganda about worship of Mary? Or that we try to save ourselves by works and not at all by faith? etc
So this is what the WCC does? Educate on other traditions? Really? How has these views changed? Oh, thay haven't because that is not what the WCC does.

St. Mark of Ephesus?
The same St. Mark that fought against heresies? The same St. Mark that refused to give the west an inch? The same St. Mark that charged his disciple to defend Orthodoxy? Awesome example Smiley

St. Basil, St Gregory of Nazianzen
The same who fought Arianism and didn't try to "find common ground as Christians?"

Inter-religious dialogue and ecumenism are two different things
As I said before, dialogue can (and has) been done without ascribing to some great "big-tent".

Somehow I doubt that the Fathers refused to listen and learn what they believe in and pontificated on an internet forum instead
Well since the internet wasn't around...in other news I believe some councils were set up stating what the faith was, and what it wasn't. So yeah, they did refuse to give creedence to those in schism. If they were here on earth today, I doubt they'd play house with folks who ordain an openly gay bishop who divorced his wife to practice homosexuality and call him bishop (Episcopal Church), or blesses same sex marriages (United Church of Christ), or those that deny the Eucharist (most protestants). There is no way that the fathers would dare be seen hand in hand with these folks. Would they say that they are not Christian? I can't say, but I dont think they would judge like that. But they would keep these folks at least, at arms leangth.

I am not saying there should not be dialogue, but it should be done from the outside, giving assistance when it is possible. We can claim to be the true faith all we want, but if we get in the water with fish, you're gonna get wet.

PP

Gregory the Great
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2012, 04:15:13 PM »

St. Mark of Ephesus?
The same St. Mark that fought against heresies? The same St. Mark that refused to give the west an inch? The same St. Mark that charged his disciple to defend Orthodoxy? Awesome example Smiley

The St. Mark that attended Florence and was a full participant up until the point they actually enacted a false union.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »

St. Mark of Ephesus?

The St. Mark that attended Florence and was a full participant up until the point they actually enacted a false union.

but if he stopped participating after this full union, how is that a plus for using him as a model for the WCC?

PP

Gregory the Great
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2012, 04:19:49 PM »

in other news I believe some councils were set up stating what the faith was, and what it wasn't.

And I suppose the Orthodox Churches that participate in the WCC don't state what the faith is and what it isn't?  Roll Eyes

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »

in other news I believe some councils were set up stating what the faith was, and what it wasn't.

And I suppose the Orthodox Churches that participate in the WCC don't state what the faith is and what it isn't?  Roll Eyes
That is not what I was stating. That was in regard to the argument that the fathers would have given ear to the other denominations. History shows otherwise by the councils.  Roll Eyes

PP

Gregory the Great
witega
OC.net guru

« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2012, 04:24:56 PM »

St. Mark of Ephesus?

but if he stopped participating after this full union, how is that a plus for using him as a model for the WCC?

PP

How is our current participation in the WCC any different than the actual example of St. Mark?

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2012, 04:27:54 PM »

I am not saying there should not be dialogue, but it should be done from the outside, giving assistance when it is possible. We can claim to be the true faith all we want, but if we get in the water with fish, you're gonna get wet.

PP

True, but fish, crustaceans and water-dwelling mammals all share a vested interest in preserving their habitats. That doesn't stop sharks from eating other fish, killer whales from eating dolphins, big crabs from eating little crabs and from them all eating each other. They co-exist in the same oceans and are adapted to  protecting themselves from their predators. Are we Orthodox no less capable of protecting our own interests in a big sea than a lowly crustacean?
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »

St. Mark of Ephesus?

PP

How is our current participation in the WCC any different than the actual example of St. Mark?
There is nothing being done. Is there more understanding between the various traditions? No. Is there more education on what the others believe? No. Is this council's purpose to unite into 1 Church? No.

Sitting around and giving the predicted answers to issues does nothing. Yes, hunger is bad, so is war, injustice, torture, evil, racism, and poverty. These are the statements coming out of the WCC. It is a waste of time and resources. These are statements that need no council to issue.

If the WCC actually accomplished something, I would be 100% behind it.

If the Church wants to have dialogue about beliefs, let it be 1-on-1. There is actual proof that such dialogue DOES work. But on such a scale nothing has been accomplished. I think that St. Mark would have walked away as well, simply because such a council would be considered a fool's errand.

PP
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:40:39 PM by primuspilus » Logged

Gregory the Great
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »

St. Mark of Ephesus?

PP

I didn't see this post at first. Even now that I do see it, it doesn't make sense to me. Has there been a union as the result of Orthodox participation in WCC? I'm sure there are some individual Orthodox, somewhere or other, who are in the process of converting to other Christian bodies, but that can hardly be attributed to the Orthodox participation in WCC.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:21:57 PM by Peter J » Logged

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »

I didn't see this post at first. Even now that I do see it, it doesn't make sense to me. Has there been a full union as the resultof the WCC? I'm sure there are some individual Orthodox, somewhere or other, who are in the process of converting to other Christian bodies, but that can hardly be attributed to the Orthodox participation in WCC
Sorry, I was referring to St. Mark walking away from the council after the union was reached. If he walked away, not willing to find common ground, my question was how can he be used as an example?

Sorry if I was confusing.

PP

Gregory the Great
witega
OC.net guru

« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2012, 05:26:05 PM »

I didn't see this post at first. Even now that I do see it, it doesn't make sense to me. Has there been a full union as the resultof the WCC? I'm sure there are some individual Orthodox, somewhere or other, who are in the process of converting to other Christian bodies, but that can hardly be attributed to the Orthodox participation in WCC
Sorry, I was referring to St. Mark walking away from the council after the union was reached. If he walked away, not willing to find common ground, my question was how can he be used as an example?

PP

I'm still not following your train of thought. St. Mark's attendance at Florence shows he was willing to talk. His behavior after Florence showed he was unwilling to accept a false union. Since no one is signing any union documents (false or otherwise) at the WCC, it is his response to talking, not to false union which seems the relevent example.

If the Church wants to have dialogue about beliefs, let it be 1-on-1. There is actual proof that such dialogue DOES work. But on such a scale nothing has been accomplished. I think that St. Mark would have walked away as well, simply because such a council would be considered a fool's errand.

And if someone else has the personal opinion that St. Mark wouldn't walk away, what makes your opinion more valid than theirs?

(BTW, I'm in somewhat the same position as Alpo--I *agree* with you that the modern WCC is waste of time and resources and the best thing the Church could do at this point would be to walk away. But that's not my call to make, it's the bishops. And while I think they should make a different decision than they currently do, I can't argue that their decision is actually illegitimate. After all, the EO-OO talks were initiated under the auspices of the WCC--and I think there is ample proof that those talks actually have led to some significant progress.)

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2012, 05:29:42 PM »

He was most certainly willing to find common ground. If he wasn't he wouldn't have discussed with Catholics. Also, him walking away is a prime example of proper ecumenism since unity with false compromises is bad unity and bad ecumenism.

Sitting around and giving the predicted answers to issues does nothing. Yes, hunger is bad, so is war, injustice, torture, evil, racism, and poverty. These are the statements coming out of the WCC. It is a waste of time and resources. These are statements that need no council to issue.

So since the World already knows what Christianity teaches we can stop evangelism?

The same who fought Arianism and didn't try to "find common ground as Christians?"

The same who said that separation from other Christians tears them apart. That's how we all should feel.

As I said before, dialogue can (and has) been done without ascribing to some great "big-tent".

Now you lost me. What do you mean?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:31:41 PM by Alpo » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2012, 05:46:03 PM »

So since the World already knows what Christianity teaches we can stop evangelism?
The goal of the WCC is not evangelism.

He was most certainly willing to find common ground. If he wasn't he wouldn't have discussed with Catholics
yeah, but when they would not move, he left and would not be associated with them.

And if someone else has the personal opinion that St. Mark wouldn't walk away, what makes your opinion more valid than theirs?
Nothing. As I have said on multiple threads multiple times. This is my opinion. You're entitled to yours. I'll argue, but I wont sit here and yell thunderbolts that "Your opinion is of satan" or some other rubbish. Just the opinion of one guy...nothing more.

Also, him walking away is a prime example of proper ecumenism since unity with false compromises is bad unity and bad ecumenism
That's the thing. There is no talks of union. I just feel that St. Mark would not sit down with folks who outright deny the eucharist and have the stances these people take.

I can't argue that their decision is actually illegitimate
No. I would never say that the bishop's decisions are illegitimate. Never. This is my opinion. If my bishop (for some insane reason) asked me to join him in going to one of these meetings, I would go (maybe they need a computer to be fixed, or need a bouncer....) Wink

Big-Tent = Im ok, you're ok, our differences dont matter, all that matters is Jesus.

PP

Gregory the Great
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2012, 05:58:38 PM »

The goal of the WCC is not evangelism.

Nope but your idea seemed to be that there is no need for statements on Christian ethics since everybody already knows what Christianity teaches.

yeah, but when they would not move, he left and would not be associated with them.

Yes, because of false union. That's how ecumenism works. He did however associate them in the sense that he travelled a long way to talk with them in a seemingly hopeless situation.

That's the thing. There is no talks of union.

After having this discussion I'm not sure whether I'd like to hear the outrage about pan-heresy ecumenism if there was. Tongue Union of all is the aim but since we aren't there yet we can always talk about specifics of union. Such as Christian ethics or ecclesiology.

I just feel that St. Mark would not sit down with folks who outright deny the eucharist and have the stances these people take.

Well he did sit down with folks who believed in Filioque, papacy, purgatory etc. Those are heresies too.

Big-Tent = Im ok, you're ok, our differences dont matter, all that matters is Jesus.

I don't think this is how WCC works. Surely there are people within WCC who think like that but that isn't the official policy.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:03:12 PM by Alpo » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2012, 09:03:22 PM »

PP

Oh that's alright. I just want to let you know that you (inadvertently) argued against your own position.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2012, 12:02:56 PM »

Nope but your idea seemed to be that there is no need for statements on Christian ethics since everybody already knows what Christianity teaches
No, my idea is that such statements can be made. But we dont need to be of some body, wasting time and resources to do it.

Having a group set up for such purposes is meaningless.

Yes, because of false union. That's how ecumenism works. He did however associate them in the sense that he travelled a long way to talk with them in a seemingly hopeless situation
True, he did meet, and left. We met and stayed....and are still there.

Well he did sit down with folks who believed in Filioque, papacy, purgatory etc. Those are heresies too
Sitting down and discussing I have no problem with. It's staying when it is obvious that they have no desire nor inclination to unite.

PP

Gregory the Great
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2012, 12:11:32 PM »

Yes, because of false union. That's how ecumenism works. He did however associate them in the sense that he travelled a long way to talk with them in a seemingly hopeless situation
True, he did meet, and left. We met and stayed....and are still there.

You just don't seem to get what people are saying here. Mark of Ephesus rejected the union that was declared; but in the current situation, no union has been declared between the Eastern Orthodox and the RCC, or ACNA, or the Anglican Communion, or the ELCA ...

Hence, there isn't an opportunity for an Orthodox bishop to stand up, as new Mark of Ephesus if you will, and say "I reject this union."

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »

Tell you what. I just read the assumptions from the toronto statement on their website. You can definitely keep them now. Im going to end my participation because I'll not be able to add anything of value. Folks can read it and come to their own conclusions. I will not be convinced that this body has merit. This body in my opinion is a waste of time. However, if other hold to a differing opinion, God bless you and good luck.

PP

Gregory the Great
vasily
Warned

« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2012, 10:50:21 AM »

I am familiar with what ecumenical councils are and represent. The WCC & NCC do not constitute an ecumenical council. The Ecumenical Councils made decisions concerning the One. Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

I think that one must seriously consider whether the Orthodox presence and our dialogue in both the WCC & the NCC has been productive? Since both the WCC and the NCC stress the "branch" theory, that all Christian groups hold certain truths, and a commonality, how has the Orthodox presence changed this? Should the Orthodox consider other alternatives to evangelizing the heterodox?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2012, 12:33:08 PM »

I am familiar with what ecumenical councils are and represent.

Yeah, alright. [/sarcasm] Talk to the person who said

Has the heterodox returned to the unity of the Orthodox Faith and Church through dialogue in these ecumenical councils?

searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2012, 04:23:31 PM »

I am familiar with what ecumenical councils are and represent.

Yeah, alright. [/sarcasm] Talk to the person who said

Has the heterodox returned to the unity of the Orthodox Faith and Church through dialogue in these ecumenical councils?

I think there may be some confusion here when using the term "ecumenical council," as one may be using that term in regards to the modern day councils such as the NCC and WCC, modern councils which are often described as being "ecumenical" because they include a variety of different Christian denominations. Not to be confused with the Holy 7 Ecumenical Councils.

So I think Vasily may understand the difference between the two but maybe he just didn't type clearly what he was meaning to say, which is easy to do on here.

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2012, 04:36:08 PM »

I dont get it. Its pretty obvious what Vasily was talking about.

WCC, et al. = ecumenical council

The councils = Ecumenical Councils

PP

Gregory the Great
searn77

Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2012, 04:38:39 PM »

PP

Yea I thought so too, but sometimes it's easy to misread what people mean to say.

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2012, 04:40:54 PM »

PP

Yea I thought so too, but sometimes it's easy to misread what people mean to say.
Totally understandable.

PP

Gregory the Great
vasily
Warned

« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2012, 10:17:53 AM »

So far, in this poll, around 26% agree with the Orthodox involvement in the WCC. I would seriously know why you feel this way? I am out to defend the other side of the fence on this issue, so lets begin the debate.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2012, 10:25:13 AM »

How can you teach people anything if you don't go and talk to them?

What you might gain is a chance to alert people of the history of the Church and thereby make them more sympathetic to you. Many Protestant churches today deny the history of the faith and assert pretty bizarre things in its place. Are we saying it's not important to go and wake them up out of that?

I don't get the 'we don't gain anything' argument. Is your mission to convert the world, or not?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2012, 11:45:45 AM »

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you there. The WCC and the NCC don't call themselves either "Ecumenical Councils" or "ecumenical councils". Neither does ARCIC for that matter.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:46:51 AM by Peter J » Logged

searn77

« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you there. The WCC and the NCC don't call themselves either "Ecumenical Councils" or "ecumenical councils". Neither does ARCIC for that matter.

Here's a link that somewhat defines the modern popular usage of the word ecumenism when speaking from a Christian standpoint:
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Ecumenism

So keeping this in mind, calling the WCC or NCC an ecumenical council is understandable.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2012, 09:21:25 AM »

Then I submit a new name for them.

ecumenist councils Smiley

PP

Gregory the Great
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2012, 09:57:31 AM »

What you might gain is a chance to alert people of the history of the Church and thereby make them more sympathetic to you. Many Protestant churches today deny the history of the faith and assert pretty bizarre things in its place. Are we saying it's not important to go and wake them up out of that?

I don't get the 'we don't gain anything' argument. Is your mission to convert the world, or not?

Again and again we meet this tired equation of ecumenism with missionary work. What actually goes on at these meetings? A bunch of official representatives of the various groups come together, discuss some points, find some superficial agreements, and hammer out a statement bland enough to express them. That is not an effective way of preaching Orthodoxy. Has anyone heard of an official representative at the WCC, NCC, etc. converting to Orthodoxy because of our "witness" there? Maybe it's happened, I don't know.

More broadly, how many on-the-ground Methodists, Presbyterians, etc. actually pay any attention (close or otherwise) to the goings-on at these meetings? If they do, what impression are they getting of the Orthodox, and how is that perception being filtered? 

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2012, 10:00:42 AM »

Again and again we meet this tired equation of ecumenism with missionary work. What actually goes on at these meetings? A bunch of official representatives of the various groups come together, discuss some points, find some superficial agreements, and hammer out a statement bland enough to express them. That is not an effective way of preaching Orthodoxy. Has anyone heard of an official representative at the WCC, NCC, etc. converting to Orthodoxy because of our "witness" there? Maybe it's happened, I don't know.

More broadly, how many on-the-ground Methodists, Presbyterians, etc. actually pay any attention (close or otherwise) to the goings-on at these meetings? If they do, what impression are they getting of the Orthodox, and how is that perception being filtered? 
Thank you!!!!!!

Gregory the Great
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2012, 10:20:42 AM »

Again and again we meet this tired equation of ecumenism with missionary work.

That cuts both ways, though. If it is true that ecumenism shouldn't present itself as missionary work, it equally true that missionary work shouldn't present itself as ecumenism.

Quote from: Vatican II
However, it is evident that, when individuals wish for full Catholic communion, their preparation and reconciliation is an undertaking which of its nature is distinct from ecumenical action. But there is no opposition between the two, since both proceed from the marvelous ways of God.

(Sorry if I'm going a little off-topic.)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:21:08 AM by Peter J » Logged

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2012, 10:37:25 AM »

I said I would not come back into the discussion....looks like that didn't go too well.

As I have said. Not a soul has been converted to Orthodoxy because of the WCC (at least it was not reported). Also, I know the WCC has a mission to share in missionary efforts, but is that something Orthodoxy really wants to do?

I think it can really bring up conflict when groups who are branch Theorists missionize (a word?) with orthodox who are vehemently against this.

PP

Gregory the Great
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2012, 11:37:25 AM »

I said I would not come back into the discussion....looks like that didn't go too well.

As I have said. Not a soul has been converted to Orthodoxy because of the WCC (at least it was not reported). Also, I know the WCC has a mission to share in missionary efforts, but is that something Orthodoxy really wants to do?

I think it can really bring up conflict when groups who are branch Theorists missionize (a word?) with orthodox who are vehemently against this.

Can you show that this even happens? I'm not saying definitely that it doesn't, but I'm skeptical.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:38:18 AM by Peter J » Logged

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2012, 12:18:16 PM »

http://www.oikoumene.org/en/news/news-management/eng/a/article/1637/christians-reach-broad-co.htmlThis is the url about the mission statement agreed upon in the WCC. At the bottom is the actual statement. It seems innocent enough, but it really makes it difficult for Orthodox to stand on principle if such a thing were to happen.

I apologize if I alluded to the contrary, but no such missionizing (still not sure if thats a word) has happened yet to my knowledge. However, the door is open for such things based upon the statement which was agreed to all. More than a few of the members of the WCC do adhere to the Branch Theory (as it is really just an extension of the Invisible Church theory).

Sorry if I confused.

PP

Gregory the Great
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2012, 12:42:46 PM »

http://www.oikoumene.org/en/news/news-management/eng/a/article/1637/christians-reach-broad-co.htmlThis is the url about the mission statement agreed upon in the WCC. At the bottom is the actual statement. It seems innocent enough, but it really makes it difficult for Orthodox to stand on principle if such a thing were to happen.

I read the webpage you linked to. Is there something in it that you object to?

I haven't yet read the document in question, but I'll probably do so later today.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2012, 12:46:18 PM »

I haven't yet read the document in question, but I'll probably do so later today.
What I object to is not what is written, but what it implies. My opinion is that the statement pushes the idea of "Im ok, you're ok, its all for Christ". For me, that is simply too broad of a statement if Orthodox are to stand on principles on what is believed. If going to Africa to missionize with a WCC group, you'll have some folks saying that the magic prayer is the only way, some say that it is in the Church, others saying its some kind of convoluted semi-Calvinistic way.

"Its all about Jesus" is nice on paper, but in practice it would be a nightmare.

Please understand, this is simply the way I took it.

PP

Gregory the Great
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2012, 02:12:02 PM »

What I object to is not what is written, but what it implies. My opinion is that the statement pushes the idea of "Im ok, you're ok, its all for Christ". For me, that is simply too broad of a statement if Orthodox are to stand on principles on what is believed. If going to Africa to missionize with a WCC group, you'll have some folks saying that the magic prayer is the only way, some say that it is in the Church, others saying its some kind of convoluted semi-Calvinistic way.

"Its all about Jesus" is nice on paper, but in practice it would be a nightmare.

Please understand, this is simply the way I took it.

PP

Thing is, none of us can really challenge, or do anything about, the way that you took it. We're not inside of you.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2012, 04:55:09 PM »

Thing is, none of us can really challenge, or do anything about, the way that you took it. We're not inside of you
I was just reiterating that it was an opinion. I dont think I have to tell you how many folks pontificate about certian things and if you dont agree, you're a moron.....

Gregory the Great
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #129 on: February 29, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »

This is from the blog article The Goal of Ecumenism (omitting some of the descriptions):

Ecumenism: Progression of Stages
This “ministry towards unity” is always present, however, it need not be carried out in exactly the same (practical) manner in every particular circumstance.  Nor must it necessarily take place suddenly or all at once.

Stage 1:  Charity in Truth

Stage 2: Dialogue

Stage 3: Cooperation

Stage 4: Conversion of Hearts

Stage 5: Final Preparation and Reconciliation
The various preliminary stages above are supposed to lead to conversion in the sense of formal enterance into the Catholic Church (i.e., "full and visible communion").  Therefore, this last step is not considered ecumenism, strictly speaking, but rather is considered as the ultimate goal of ecumenism.   

vasily
Warned

« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2012, 11:48:56 AM »

Some points to ponder on.

It seems that Protestant involvement in ecumenism, being pluralistic in doctrine and activistic in orientation, is seeking agreement on social issues, so that together with other ecumenical groups it may work effectively for the solution of social problems. With the existence of all the different Protestant sects teaching their own interpretations of Scriptures and ideology, there will never be an agreement on what is truth. Roman Catholic involvement is directed to uniting all the rest of the Christians under the Pope as the head of all Christian bodies. History alone has proven this. (One must fully understand that the First Vatican Council taught and put into doctrine," We must hold as of the Faith, that out of the Apostolic Roman Church there is no salvation; that she is the only ark of safety, and whosoever is not in her perishes in the deluge." This has been reaffirmed many times, "that there is no salvation outside of the Catholic Church." Per Vatican II, this is also part of the Catechism of the Catholic Church( no. 776)). Orthodox involvement,as it was conceived by George Florovsky and was carried on by Orthodox theologians, prior to the innovations of Patriarch Athenagoras, was a movement to conduct missionary activity and to convert the non-Orthodox to the Orthodox Church. This has yet to became a reality.

Patriarch Athenagoras replaced the doctrinal approach of Orthodox ecumenism by a political approach. The Patriarch appears to have believed that by avoiding discussions on the doctrinal differences which separate the Orthodox from the heterodox the Patriarch would win support of the heterodox and in turn would put pressure on the Turkish government. (This was in 1963) The beginning of the active participation of the Orthodox Church in the ecumenical movement dates from 1924. That year Patriarch Meletios Metaxakis introduced the new calender into the church in Constantinople. The Patriarch introduced the new calender without any consultation with the other Orthodox  Churches. Was this calender change an effort to conform to the heterodox? This decision went against the synodal form of decision making that existed in the church. This was to divide the Orthodox.

Those Orthodox who are involved in the ecumenical and interfaith movements are disregarding the Holy Canons. The 45th and 65th Apostolic Canons. The 65th Canon is contained in the rudder, the constitution of the Orthodox Church and states," If any clergyman. or layman, enter a synagogue of Jews or of heretics, to pray, let them be both deposed and excommunicated." The intent of these Canons is to protect the Orthodox Faith from any kind of relativistic misunderstanding.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2012, 11:58:49 AM »

I would like to give my views on the below points:

Stage 1:  Charity in Truth
This can definitely happen with the WCC

Stage 2: Dialogue
This is also happening, but I must ask dialogue on what? Theological dialogue? Social dialogue? Morality?

Stage 3: Cooperation
Again, cooperation on what? Helping the poor? Ok, that is good. Victims of tragedies? Ok sure. Missionary activities? Should we do that as Orthodox? Missionize with say, Lutherans? This doesn't ring alarm bells?

Stage 4: Conversion of Hearts
Ok, conversion of hearts how? For love? That would be good, but what if its Christian conversion of hearts. That is when you run into real problems.

Final preparation for what? Unity? There is only 1 unity that is acceptable. That is all coming back to the faith of the Apostles, which is Orthodoxy. I doubt very seriously that any of the above would do anything to bring all back to Orthodoxy.

I would ask, has any "denomination" came back to Orthodoxy from ANY group like this?

PP

Gregory the Great
vasily
Warned

« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »

In these ecumenical groups comes the "branch theory" of the Church, where there exists many Christians Churches and the Orthodox is just one of many. This branch theory stands in glaring contradiction to the Orthodox Symbol of Faith, the Creed, which states that there is only One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. Of all the Christian bodies, the Orthodox Church is the only one that remained the faithful keeper of the whole Sacred Tradition, avoiding heretical doctrines and other unwarranted innovations. The Faith does not alter with the times, it does not deteriorate from circumstances, but remains the same, both old and new.

So how is union with the heterodox to the Orthodox Faith even possible through our involvement in ecumenical circles? Is the search for the Truth important in these ecumenical circle? I seriously think it is time for the Orthodox who participate in any of these ecumenical or interfaith movements to reconsider their position. After all these years of our involvement the West has yet to grasp anything Orthodox. Have any of our goals of the Orthodox been achieved?  Our continued involvement disregards what the Lord told His Disciples, "Go ye therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you. And lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world." (Matt. 28:19-20).

Would Christianity exist today, if the Holy Apostles ,instead of preaching repentance, as they were commanded by our Lord and God, had undertaken interfaith dialogues and cooperated with idolaters for the supposed good of the world? What purpose does the Orthodox have in interfaith participation when the CC has had speakers such as the Presbyterian  theologian Dr. Chung and the Dalai Lama? Are these speakers and others , the 'speakers" of Truth?
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2012, 12:16:34 PM »

I just think Orthodoxy needs to approach groups in a singular fashion. The Orthodox and the RC's are making headway here in the USA (of course I doubt union any time soon but real, measurable progress is made). More than one group joined Orthodoxy due to direct talks. I will be chrismated in a month directly because of such talks. Talking directly with groups who are interested in Orthodoxy does so much more than grouping with folks and hoping for the best.

PP

Gregory the Great
vasily
Warned

« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2012, 12:29:59 PM »

Meanwhile, incidents have happened behind our backs. After the liberation of Romania in 1989, 10,000 copies of the Bible in the Romanian language were sent to Romanian Orthodox parishes by a Protestant source in the USA. It was discovered that the word "idol" had been consistently translated "icon" in an attempt to undermine Orthodox dogmatic teachings. While the Oecumenical Patriarch and the Pope exchange greetings in the spirit of a "theology of love", the Ukrainian Catholics are proselytizing among the Orthodox and taking over Orthodox Churches by force. After the fall of communism, all the Protestant and Evangelical groups sent to Eastern Europe, Russia, and Ukraine to convert those "people" to Christianity.

Recommendations:
1. Withdraw and break off all relations and dialogues with the ecumenical and interfaith movements.
2. Cultivate pan-Orthodox unity, cooperation to the highest degree possible, so that peace and love will exist among all the Eastern Orthodox.
3. Rekindle the Eucharist life and the concord of Faith. Educate and create an awareness concerning Orthodoxy, the history, traditions and teachings of the church.
4. Promote the Liturgical, theological wealth of Patristic Traditions and return to the purity of the Orthodox Faith. (Let us discard/eliminate any Western innovations that have invaded the Orthodox Church).
5. To develop in love and humility all of the invaluable gifts of charismatic Orthodoxy, s a responsible missionary offering and invitation to the contemporary world.

I would like to thank and highly recommend the following authors for their works on this subject matter. They have written what I think. Thank God for the Truth seekers.

Ecumenism Examined by Constantine Cavarnos-Institute for Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies
The Rush to Embrace by Archpriest Alexey Young-Nikodemos Orthodox Publication Society
Orthodox Christianity and the Spirit of Contemporary Ecumenism by Father Daniel Degyansky-Center for Traditionalist Orthodox Studies
Against False Union by Alexander Kalomiros-St. Nectarios Press
Ecumenism: A Movement for Union or a Syncretistic Heresy? by Bishop Angelos of Avlona-Center for Traditionalist Orthodox Studies
Orthodox and the Ecumenical Movement by Archimandrite Cyprian Agiokyprianites- Center for Tradtionalist Orthodox Studies
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2012, 06:20:02 PM »

Also, not all Protestants belong to the WCC.  The Conservative factions of several denominations will have nothing to do with the WCC and consider it Antichrist.  In fact, membership in the WCC is one of the main stumbling blocks that I have found when trying to evangelize conservative Lutherans.  I have been told, on more than one occasion, that while much of what we teach makes good sense to them, the fact that we are members of the Antichrist WCC is proof enough that we teach falsely.  Heck, even the Catholics know better than to join the masons and belong to the WCC.  That is quite a statement coming from a conservative Lutheran!  Truth be told, it was the Antiochian membership in the WCC (and the abundance of open Masons) that first sent me to the ROCOR one year after my conversion.  I got tired of making excuses.

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2012, 06:30:36 PM »

Meanwhile, incidents have happened behind our backs. After the liberation of Romania in 1989, 10,000 copies of the Bible in the Romanian language were sent to Romanian Orthodox parishes by a Protestant source in the USA. It was discovered that the word "idol" had been consistently translated "icon" in an attempt to undermine Orthodox dogmatic teachings. While the Oecumenical Patriarch and the Pope exchange greetings in the spirit of a "theology of love", the Ukrainian Catholics are proselytizing among the Orthodox and taking over Orthodox Churches by force. After the fall of communism, all the Protestant and Evangelical groups sent to Eastern Europe, Russia, and Ukraine to convert those "people" to Christianity.

Recommendations:
1. Withdraw and break off all relations and dialogues with the ecumenical and interfaith movements.
2. Cultivate pan-Orthodox unity, cooperation to the highest degree possible, so that peace and love will exist among all the Eastern Orthodox.
3. Rekindle the Eucharist life and the concord of Faith. Educate and create an awareness concerning Orthodoxy, the history, traditions and teachings of the church.
4. Promote the Liturgical, theological wealth of Patristic Traditions and return to the purity of the Orthodox Faith. (Let us discard/eliminate any Western innovations that have invaded the Orthodox Church).
5. To develop in love and humility all of the invaluable gifts of charismatic Orthodoxy, s a responsible missionary offering and invitation to the contemporary world.

I would like to thank and highly recommend the following authors for their works on this subject matter. They have written what I think. Thank God for the Truth seekers.

Ecumenism Examined by Constantine Cavarnos-Institute for Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies
The Rush to Embrace by Archpriest Alexey Young-Nikodemos Orthodox Publication Society
Orthodox Christianity and the Spirit of Contemporary Ecumenism by Father Daniel Degyansky-Center for Traditionalist Orthodox Studies
Against False Union by Alexander Kalomiros-St. Nectarios Press
Ecumenism: A Movement for Union or a Syncretistic Heresy? by Bishop Angelos of Avlona-Center for Traditionalist Orthodox Studies
Orthodox and the Ecumenical Movement by Archimandrite Cyprian Agiokyprianites- Center for Tradtionalist Orthodox Studies

Post of the month nomination!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2012, 09:25:43 AM »

Final preparation for what? Unity? There is only 1 unity that is acceptable. That is all coming back to the faith of the Apostles, which is Orthodoxy. I doubt very seriously that any of the above would do anything to bring all back to Orthodoxy.

Well, the author of that blog is Catholic, so I'm sure that he/she does not agree with you that the faith of the Apostles is Orthodoxy. But if you read the rest of what I quoted, I'm sure you will see that he/she does agree with you that the goal is "all coming back to the faith of the Apostles" (which he/she understands to be Catholicism):

The various preliminary stages above are supposed to lead to conversion in the sense of formal enterance into the Catholic Church (i.e., "full and visible communion").  Therefore, this last step is not considered ecumenism, strictly speaking, but rather is considered as the ultimate goal of ecumenism.   
(emphasis added)

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2012, 09:31:06 AM »

Meanwhile, incidents have happened behind our backs. After the liberation of Romania in 1989, 10,000 copies of the Bible in the Romanian language were sent to Romanian Orthodox parishes by a Protestant source in the USA. It was discovered that the word "idol" had been consistently translated "icon" in an attempt to undermine Orthodox dogmatic teachings.

Can you provide a link? I would like to read up on that incident.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: