OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:46:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Those CRAZY Mexican Catholics!  (Read 1200 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: September 29, 2004, 09:03:49 PM »

MONTERREY, Mexico (Reuters) -- A fiberglass statue of Jesus that washed up on a sandbar in the Rio Grande three weeks ago is attracting scores of devout pilgrims to a police department lost-and-found and being hailed as a miracle.

Police in Eagle Pass, Texas, said up to 40 people a day are coming to pay homage to the five-foot-tall figurine, known as "The Christ of the Undocumented," which was found by U.S. Border Patrol agents in the river.

"Some come to pray, and some come and just touch it," police lieutenant Daniel Morales said by telephone on Monday. "We have never experienced anything like this before, and interest is growing by the day."

The border city, which lies opposite Piedras Negras in northern Mexico, has a large Mexican community. Many arrived illegally by way of the river, and most are devout Roman Catholics.

Morales said the life-like statuette, which turned up without a crucifix base, would probably be given to a church in the border city if no-one came forward to claim it within 90 days.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 09:05:59 PM »

Whatever "floats their boat"...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 09:28:24 PM »

Well, I know a crazy Mexican Orthodox who is leaving this week to "evangelize Mexico" with a friend.  He's been Orthodox all of a year or so.  God help him.
CatholicEagle
Banned
Elder

HH St.Pius X, Pope of Rome, Ecumenical Pontiff

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 09:52:56 PM »

Hey aren't there any oddities like this in Schismatic Orthodoxy? COme on hasn't an icon landed on the beach in Greece and has been taken to a church to be venerated?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 09:53:53 PM by CatholicEagle » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 09:57:25 PM »

Hey aren't there any oddities like this in Schismatic Orthodoxy? COme on hasn't an icon landed on the beach in Greece and has been taken to a church to be venerated?

Best to define 'Schismatic  Orthodoxy' if you want a polite response...on the other hand....

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 09:59:41 PM »

I don't know. Which Schismatic Orthodox are you referring to?  The Non-Chalcedonians?
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 10:42:57 PM »

Schismatic?
eh..only some crazy Trad. "catholic" would call Orthodox "Schismatics

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 11:12:57 PM »

This thread is really outrageous. I'm closing it.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: