OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 07:07:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holiness  (Read 360 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« on: February 09, 2012, 09:02:57 PM »

What is holiness?

How can we increase in it (i.e. know we're on the right track) without pride getting in the way?  Huh

Thanks for any help.  angel

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 11:35:53 AM »

Holiness is hard to define because it is a genuine attribute of God.  The only way creatures can know what holiness is and become holy is through God's revelation, by experiencing God directly through His Grace (Uncreated Energies).   So, I'd say that Holiness is everything that God is. To become holy ourselves we need to follow Christ and become Christ-like in every way through The Grace of The Holy Spirit. Holiness also means that one is genuinely humble, so there is no room for pride whatsoever.  If we are proud that means that we want attention for who we are, or that we believe we are something outside of the ordinary; this obviously violates the law of love, that is that love has to be devoid of any self-interest, it has to become one's actual nature as it is God's.  Hope this helps somewhat! Smiley
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:36:43 AM by IoanC » Logged

podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 11:40:56 AM »

Holiness is hard to define because it is a genuine attribute of God.  The only way creatures can know what holiness is and become holy is through God's revelation, by experiencing God directly through His Grace (Uncreated Energies).   So, I'd say that Holiness is everything that God is. To become holy ourselves we need to follow Christ and become Christ-like in every way through The Grace of The Holy Spirit. Holiness also means that one is genuinely humble, so there is no room for pride whatsoever.  If we are proud that means that we want attention for who we are, or that we believe we are something outside of the ordinary; this obviously violates the law of love, that is that love has to be devoid of any self-interest, it has to become one's actual nature as it is God's.  Hope this helps somewhat! Smiley

Justice Potter Stewart, writing a famous opinion when the United States Supreme Court was struggling with a definition for obscenity wryly observed, 'You will know it when you see it.'

I think that the same could be applied to holiness.

Good luck on your journey. You are on the right path.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 12:21:57 PM »

Thank you very much.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

spcasuncoast.org
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 12:29:30 PM »

check out this article, sister:

http://www.antiochian.org/node/17685
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 12:51:25 PM »

Excellent! Thanks.   angel

spcasuncoast.org
Tags: holiness  theosis  growth  faith 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: