OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 06:45:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top Ten Saints  (Read 3268 times) Average Rating: 0
trifecta
Fairly newly illumined

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: December 21, 2007, 11:14:57 AM »

I was recently explaining to a friend (by email) who St. Athanasius was.
I said he was a top 10 non-apostolic saint in Orthodoxy.

Then, it occurred to me, who are the top 10 non-apostolic saints?

I'm relatively new to all this, so, I am asking you.

born Catholic, became a Protestant, now and hereafter an Orthodox Christian
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 11:25:35 AM »

Hmm....just my opinion, but St. Nicholas of Myra and St. Mark of Ephesus would both have to be in there.  St. John Chrysostom, of course.  So many to choose from, though, so I'm not sure who else I would include.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 12:09:33 PM »

I was recently explaining to a friend (by email) who St. Athanasius was.
I said he was a top 10 non-apostolic saint in Orthodoxy.

Then, it occurred to me, who are the top 10 non-apostolic saints?

I'm relatively new to all this, so, I am asking you.

In terms of their honor amongst the Orthodox?

Well, exclude along with the Apostles the Panagia and St. John the Baptist.  Their honor is above all others, including the Apostles.

In order of popularity and honor, I would suppose:

1. St. Nicholas
2. St. John Chrysostom
3. St. George
4. St. Basil

Then it gets kind of fuzzy... You have some pairs that are not spoken of seperately very often:

5. Sts. Cyril and Methodios
6. Sts. Constantine and Helen
7. Sts. Athanasios and Cyril (we EO keep them closely associated)

Then you have some with more regional importance that are not as widely venerated as the top 7, including:

8. St. Demetrios
9. St. Nektarios
10. St. Vladimir

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 12:51:38 PM »

And, of course, Cleveland's ranking is among the GOA...'your results will vary depending upon your personal situation'. It works for him and for me (mostly, with the following exception as explained) but then we're both in the GOA!

As an example (I am sure it was an oversight) but St. Christopher the Great Martyr, potentially the third greatest saint in all of Christianity, was not present on Cleveland's list!  Shocked Shocked

This clearly shows that the list he may have drawn up in his youth will need to be adjusted based on the experiences of his elders, who have greater vision and experience in these things... Wink
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 01:07:01 PM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 12:52:08 PM »

In terms of their honor amongst the Orthodox?

Well, exclude along with the Apostles the Panagia and St. John the Baptist.  Their honor is above all others, including the Apostles.

In order of popularity and honor, I would suppose:

1. St. Nicholas
2. St. John Chrysostom
3. St. George
4. St. Basil

Then it gets kind of fuzzy... You have some pairs that are not spoken of seperately very often:

5. Sts. Cyril and Methodios
6. Sts. Constantine and Helen
7. Sts. Athanasios and Cyril (we EO keep them closely associated)

Then you have some with more regional importance that are not as widely venerated as the top 7, including:

8. St. Demetrios
9. St. Nektarios
10. St. Vladimir

St. Gregory Palamas
St. John Clamacus
St. Gregory of Nyssa
St. Seraphim
St. Xenia
St. Gregory Diologos

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>St. John the Baptist<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 01:03:35 PM »

In the OCA, I'd say we agree with Cleveland's top 7, but the next three would have to be St. Seraphim of Sarov, St. Tikhon, and St. Herman of Alaska. But again, these three are of regional importance to us.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 01:05:45 PM »

I don't like ranking saints, but I have to wonder where is St. John of Damascus on everybody's list.

And I agree with Anastasios regarding St. Christopher.  He is not given the attention due him.  But I'm not biased since Christopher is also my name.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 01:08:11 PM »

I know these aren't tops among all Orthodox, but some of the very tops in my book (in addition to those already named, of course) are:

The righteous ancestors Joachim and Anna
St. Phanourios
SS Raphael, Irene, and Nicholas
St. Philothea
St. Mary Magdalene
St. Nicholas Planas
SS Cosmas and Damianos

Otherwise, I definitely agree with Cleveland's assessment

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 01:08:40 PM »

And I agree with Anastasios regarding St. Christopher.  He is not given the attention due him.  But I'm not biased since Christopher is also my name.

Well, in that case, I nominate Hieromarter Veniamin of Petrograd (my namesake).

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 05:42:52 PM »

Don't forget St. Andrew. He was the one who brought St. Peter to Christ, and he continues to help Christians everywhere, especially the Scottish, of whom he is the patron saint. His influence on the salvation of the world cannot be overestimated.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 05:55:08 PM »

God bless !

What's about the great and righteous St. Joseph the Betrophed ?

In CHRIST
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 05:59:44 PM »

Indeed.

Really, in any Top Ten list, we're going to have to leave out many people who had a profound influence on us and our salvation. Perhaps that's why we pray "...and all the saints"?

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 06:10:10 PM »

Well, excluding the Theotokos, John the Baptist, and the Apostles I would assume that any list should include (in no particular order):

St. Basil the Great
St. Gregory the Theologian
St. Gregory of Nyssa
St. John Chrysostom
St. Athanasios of Alexandria
St. Cyril of Alexandria
St. Maximos the Confessor
St. Symeon the New Theologian

Other potential candidates would be some of those listed above by others, especially St. Gregory Palamas, Sts. Cyril and Methodios, St. Ignatios of Antioch, Sts. Constantine and Helen, Sts. Joachim and Anne, St. John of Dimascus, and others I'm probably forgetting.

Then, there's always the ranking found in a prayer in Orthros:

O God, save your people and bless your inheritance. Look upon your world with mercy and compassion. Raise the Orthodox Christians in glory, and send down upon us your rich mercies, through the intercessions of our most pure Lady the Theotokos and ever‑Virgin Mary; the power of the precious and life‑giving Cross; the protection of the honorable, bodiless Powers of heaven; the supplications of the honorable and glorious prophet, and forerunner John the Baptist; the holy, glorious, and praiseworthy Apostles; our Fathers among the Saints, the great hierarchs and ecumenical teachers, Basil the Great, Gregory the Theologian and John Chrysostom, Athanasios, Cyril, and John the Merciful, patriarchs of Alexandria; Nicholas, bishop of Myra, Spyridon, bishop of Trimythous, the wonder workers; the holy, glorious great Martyrs George the Victorious, Demetrios the Myrobletes, Theodore the Teron, and Theodore the General, Menas the Wonderworker and Charalambos the Hieromartyr; the holy, glorious, and victorious martyrs; the glorious great Martyr and all‑laudable Euphemia; of our holy God‑bearing Fathers; [the patron saint of the church]; the holy and righteous ancestors of righteous ancestors of God Joachim and An­na; [the saint of the day]; and of all your Saints; we beseech you, only merciful Lord, hear us sinners who pray to you and have mercy on us.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 08:14:49 AM »

We pray this same prayer, but after the Wonderworkers we mention Holy Prince Vladimir, St. Seraphim of Sarov, St. Tikhon, St. John Kucharov, St. Innocent, and St. Herman of Alaska, and maybe a couple of others I'm forgetting. I'm pretty sure that last part varies regionally.

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 09:07:15 AM »

We pray this same prayer, but after the Wonderworkers we mention Holy Prince Vladimir, St. Seraphim of Sarov, St. Tikhon, St. John Kucharov, St. Innocent, and St. Herman of Alaska, and maybe a couple of others I'm forgetting. I'm pretty sure that last part varies regionally.

We normally mention a number of Russian saints, followed by all the North American saints, including St. John of Shanghai.  (Once when I asked Father why he commemorated him as "of Shanghai" rather than "of San Francisco" and he said he had a parishioner in the past who complained that since St. John of San Francisco was in ROCOR, he wasn't "really" Orthodox.  The next week, Father named him as St. John of Shanghai and the parishioner never knew the difference.)

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 10:32:01 AM »

^LOL!

I wanted to mention St. John as well, but I wasn't sure if we commemorated him in that prayer or elsewhere. He's commemorated at least once a week in our parish, in one of the prayers.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 01:46:10 AM »

Well, excluding the Theotokos, John the Baptist, and the Apostles I would assume that any list should include (in no particular order):

St. Basil the Great
St. Gregory the Theologian
St. Gregory of Nyssa
St. John Chrysostom
St. Athanasios of Alexandria
St. Cyril of Alexandria
St. Maximos the Confessor
St. Symeon the New Theologian

Other potential candidates would be some of those listed above by others, especially St. Gregory Palamas, Sts. Cyril and Methodios, St. Ignatios of Antioch, Sts. Constantine and Helen, Sts. Joachim and Anne, St. John of Dimascus, and others I'm probably forgetting.

Then, there's always the ranking found in a prayer in Orthros:

O God, save your people and bless your inheritance. Look upon your world with mercy and compassion. Raise the Orthodox Christians in glory, and send down upon us your rich mercies, through the intercessions of our most pure Lady the Theotokos and ever‑Virgin Mary; the power of the precious and life‑giving Cross; the protection of the honorable, bodiless Powers of heaven; the supplications of the honorable and glorious prophet, and forerunner John the Baptist; the holy, glorious, and praiseworthy Apostles; our Fathers among the Saints, the great hierarchs and ecumenical teachers, Basil the Great, Gregory the Theologian and John Chrysostom, Athanasios, Cyril, and John the Merciful, patriarchs of Alexandria; Nicholas, bishop of Myra, Spyridon, bishop of Trimythous, the wonder workers; the holy, glorious great Martyrs George the Victorious, Demetrios the Myrobletes, Theodore the Teron, and Theodore the General, Menas the Wonderworker and Charalambos the Hieromartyr; the holy, glorious, and victorious martyrs; the glorious great Martyr and all‑laudable Euphemia; of our holy God‑bearing Fathers; [the patron saint of the church]; the holy and righteous ancestors of righteous ancestors of God Joachim and An­na; [the saint of the day]; and of all your Saints; we beseech you, only merciful Lord, hear us sinners who pray to you and have mercy on us.

Definitive atheists give definitive answers definitively.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 03:35:48 AM »

In my small corner of the World nobody seems to sell any other icons than those of Mother of God and Sts. Nicholas, Seraphim of Sarov, Sergei and Herman of Valaam so I guess they are the most important Saints of all time. Tongue

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 07:58:04 AM »

No St. Anthony the Great?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 12:22:27 PM »

St. Michael

angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 01:22:31 PM »

In my small corner of the World nobody seems to sell any other icons than those of Mother of God and Sts. Nicholas, Seraphim of Sarov, Sergei and Herman of Valaam so I guess they are the most important Saints of all time. Tongue

Exactly  Grin

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »

In the OCA, I'd say we agree with Cleveland's top 7, but the next three would have to be St. Seraphim of Sarov, St. Tikhon, and St. Herman of Alaska. But again, these three are of regional importance to us.

the same would go for my Church.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »

How about St. Augustine of Hippo? Even though he made a ton of theological mistakes his book 'The Confessions' has reached out, evangelised and touched more people than probably all of the other saints combined, making him probably the most influental saint of all time, for better or for worse. I think that people need to take his conversion story into account and understand that beyond his theological mistakes he made many contributions to the Eastern Orthodox Church in terms of killing polytheism and fighting Manicheanism, but most of all, the millions of converts and people he reached out to.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 02:55:14 PM »

How about St. Augustine of Hippo? Even though he made a ton of theological mistakes his book 'The Confessions' has reached out, evangelised and touched more people than probably all of the other saints combined, making him probably the most influental saint of all time, for better or for worse.

Can you prove it?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 03:10:42 PM »

How about St. Augustine of Hippo? Even though he made a ton of theological mistakes his book 'The Confessions' has reached out, evangelised and touched more people than probably all of the other saints combined, making him probably the most influental saint of all time, for better or for worse.

Can you prove it?

Go anywhere and ask someone if they know who St. Augustine of Hippo is and I guarantee you that six out of ten people will be aware of him. On the other hand, go anywhere and ask someone who St. John Chrysostom is and I guarantee you that barely anyone will know who he is. St. Augustine brought me here and touched me spiritually, whereas the other Saints have only reached out to me intellectually. There is a reason why Augustine is so popular compared to the others, because he reaches out to the common man, he is someone you can really relate to.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 03:20:06 PM »

Can you prove it?

Go anywhere and ask someone if they know who St. Augustine of Hippo is and I guarantee you that six out of ten people will be aware of him. On the other hand, go anywhere and ask someone who St. John Chrysostom is and I guarantee you that barely anyone will know who he is.

Are we talking about the Orthodox?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 03:21:36 PM »

Can you prove it?

Go anywhere and ask someone if they know who St. Augustine of Hippo is and I guarantee you that six out of ten people will be aware of him. On the other hand, go anywhere and ask someone who St. John Chrysostom is and I guarantee you that barely anyone will know who he is. St. Augustine brought me here and touched me spiritually, whereas the other Saints have only reached out to me intellectually. There is a reason why Augustine is so popular compared to the others, because he reaches out to the common man, he is someone you can really relate to.

In terms of St. Augustine and the Orthodox he is not as greatly venerated in the Old Countries. Among Westerners, I'm sure he is well known. But even among Orthodox in the West he is not the most influential. He's a wonderful saint and his Confessions is a great source of Orthodox wisdom but his influence among the likes of St. John Chyrsostom, St. Basil the Great, and St. Gregory the Theologian is not as widespread. It doesn't take away his 'saintliness' by any means though.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:22:03 PM by Manalive » Logged

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 04:04:35 PM »

i hope this question of Top Ten doesn't show up on Letterman some night.... Wink
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 04:12:42 PM »

In terms of St. Augustine and the Orthodox he is not as greatly venerated in the Old Countries.

Hardly any Western Saint is venerated in the Old Eastern Countries. The question is how greatly St. Augustine was venerated in pre-Schism West.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: