OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 04:21:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "To Jesus, through Mary"  (Read 4400 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2012, 01:08:18 PM »

I was wondering if we are all lost souls, trapped here, condemned to discuss the same stuff over and over and over again never reaching a common shore of consensus......just a thought.....
Maybe this is purgatory

Then I'm afraid all Orthodox must leave, as they don't believe there is a purgatory  Grin laugh angel!

On the other hand, if it *is* purgatory, there is hope for all of us Catholics here  Grin Grin Grin!

Toll Houses, anyone?

At my age, I'm beginning to think more about senior condominiums  Grin Grin.  But...thanks, anyway  Wink.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »

...To echo Papist from his post above, how do you explain to your Protestant friends whom you are evangelizing for the Roman Catholics, the phrase/notion, "Most Holy Theotokos, save us!"
I know that Mary can pray for us and can intercede for us, but I did not know that she had the power to save people. I thought that we were saved by God's grace?

I'm coming a bit late to this discussion, but I'm going to jump on the proverbial bandwagon and say that I too am interested in the explanation of "Most Holy Theotokos, save us".

Could it be as simple as a shortened and slightly re-worded version of something like "Through the prayers of thy most pure mother, O Savior save us"?  An Orthodox version of "To Jesus, through Mary"....perhaps?
No, this thread has established quite clearly that "To Jesus, through Mary" is neither Orthodox in origin or practice. In fact, no Roman Catholic in this thread admits to want to "become dependent on Mary in all things: to offer all our prayers and oblations to God through Mary, and to seek every gift from God through Mary". So please, don't offer misleading comparisons like that.

The person who coined the phrase didn't mean what you are saying here either.

So I think it is pretty safe to say that what you are asserting by the phrase and not the phrase itself, is neither Catholic nor Orthodox.

So you are right...Your assertions and presumptions here, having nothing to do with the phrase itself, are wrong.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2012, 01:33:28 PM »

To be honest, it's still entirely clear to me what Clemente is saying it means.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2012, 01:39:31 PM »

Here's a related question that I'm very curious about: in my personal experience, I have very often heard "to Jesus through Mary", but I have very rarely heard "to Jesus, through the saints" or "to Jesus, through Mary and the saints".

Is this your experience as well?

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2012, 03:07:22 PM »

Here's a related question that I'm very curious about: in my personal experience, I have very often heard "to Jesus through Mary", but I have very rarely heard "to Jesus, through the saints" or "to Jesus, through Mary and the saints".

Is this your experience as well?

Can't say I've heard either of the latter two expressions, at least not worded specifically that way.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2012, 03:47:50 PM »

...To echo Papist from his post above, how do you explain to your Protestant friends whom you are evangelizing for the Roman Catholics, the phrase/notion, "Most Holy Theotokos, save us!"
I know that Mary can pray for us and can intercede for us, but I did not know that she had the power to save people. I thought that we were saved by God's grace?
I'll take a crack at this.

We are saved by God's grace. Yet we are also called to "work out" our "salvation in fear and trembling". "Salvation" in Orthodoxy is both justification and sanctification or theosis. So just as St. Paul prayed in Phil 1:19 "For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ", we can ask others, including the saints, to pray for our "salvation" or deliverance from sin through their prayers and the power of the Holy Spirit. Yet all by God's grace--that "sola" still makes sense.

So in your view there is nothing wrong with asking the saints to save us? For example, it is OK to address a prayer to St. Photius such as: St. Photius, save us?
Clemente

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Europe

« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2012, 06:14:08 PM »

We are saved by God's grace. Yet we are also called to "work out" our "salvation in fear and trembling". "Salvation" in Orthodoxy is both justification and sanctification or theosis. So just as St. Paul prayed in Phil 1:19 "For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ", we can ask others, including the saints, to pray for our "salvation" or deliverance from sin through their prayers and the power of the Holy Spirit. Yet all by God's grace--that "sola" still makes sense.

So in your view there is nothing wrong with asking the saints to save us? For example, it is OK to address a prayer to St. Photius such as: St. Photius, save us?
Fortunately, I don't have to spend Great Lent contemplating that question, since "St Photius, save us" is about as Orthodox as "To Jesus, through Mary"...
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2012, 06:29:37 PM »

Fortunately, I don't have to spend Great Lent contemplating that question, since "St Photius, save us" is about as Orthodox as "To Jesus, through Mary"...

Then substitute, say, St. Basil the Great......

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2012, 09:26:38 PM »

From the Orthodox point of view is there a difference between asking Mary to save us and asking a saint to save us?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »

From the Orthodox point of view is there a difference between asking Mary to save us and asking a saint to save us?

I was wondering that too.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2012, 10:10:54 PM »

I was wondering that too.

Someone else might disagree, but I will proffer an answer: no.

Even in theology (let alone ordinary use), the Greek "soson" does not carry the same connotations as the English "save" has come to.

"Yperaghia Theotoke soson imas" / "most holy Theotokos save us" is intoned halfway through "tis panayias, ahrantou ..." / "commemorating our most holy ...":

--------------------------------------------

Tis panayias, ahrantou, yperevlogimeni, endhoxou dhespinis imon Theotokou ke aeiparthenou Marias, meta panton ton ayion mnimonevsantes eaftous ke allilous ke pasan tin zoin imon Hristo to Theo parathometha.

Commemorating our most holy, pure, most blessed and glorious lady, the God-bearer and ever-virgin Mary, with all the saints, let us commend ourselves and one another and our whole life unto Christ our God.

--------------------------------------------

The above makes it clear that the Theotokos is pre-eminent amongst the saints who we commemorate and beg for speedy intercession and help, but it is Christ-God to whom we commend ourselves, each other and our whole life.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: