OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 08:11:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this icon canonical/ok?  (Read 1229 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 08, 2012, 01:16:41 PM »

For my user name, I picked St. Timon who is celebrated on my birthday.  A long time ago, I asked if anyone knew where I could find an icon of him.  Someone referred me to this link... http://www.redbubble.com/people/allamel/works/5313507-apostle-timon?p=mounted-print

I recently heard that some icons arent canonical or ok to use, but I dont know how to tell.  Can anyone help me out here?  I do have him hanging in my icon corner.  The one I actually bought from that site is a print that I framed, and it is actually a post card that only cost around $1, so it wont hurt my feelings of I need to take it down.  Ha!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:32:22 PM »

I don't see anything "uncanonical" with it.

I think it's a beautiful icon.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 01:33:11 PM »

The icon looks "kosher"  Wink (canonical) to me.  Actually its beautiful.  Thanks for sharing that link with us.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:45:53 PM »

cool. 

it does say in the artists bio that she was commissioned by her bishop to do icons for the Church.  her bio is here.. http://www.redbubble.com/people/allamel

i just wanted to double check and make sure since this is the only icon I have that didnt come from a monastery.  and its a post card. ha! i guess it wouldnt hurt to have a priest bless it?

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 02:33:33 PM »

Very beautiful. Enjoy your new icon! Grin

It would be perfectly appropriate to have it blessed by your priest. Depending on the jurisdiction, he'll either pray over it and sprinkle it with holy water, or lay it on the altar during a Liturgy. Then, he'll return it to you.

O Holy Apostle Timon, pray to God for us!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 02:45:21 PM »

Fear not! There's always somebody who finds something wrong in it.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 02:53:59 PM »

Indeed!

Some purists would argue against any paper icons at all, so the fact that it's a postcard would make it uncanonical.

Grin
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 03:12:14 PM »

Indeed!

Some purists would argue against any paper icons at all, so the fact that it's a postcard would make it uncanonical.

Grin

Years ago, I remember one zealous iconographer was given a bulletin with an icon painted from New Skete, he threw is down and said, "That's NOT an icon!" and walked away. After that I read in a ROCOR publication where a priest said, "We do not worship an art form."  Look at the icon St. Seraphim prayed before and even died in front of while praying, it was very western.  Ideally, we should have properly made icons, but how many 3rd world countries are overjoyed to receive old bulletins for their icons on them?

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 03:25:40 PM »

I once read somewhere that there was this very pious staretz (esteemed older monk) who was very respected for his advice, etc.  A man who always thought of himself as being very religious came to visit him.  This man tried to have all the appropriate Orthodox accoutrement's in his home - canonical, golden icons; elaborate candle sticks; incense burners, etc.

The elderly monk invited him in to his abode where the man saw little old table against the wall.  On the wall was a wrinkled and soot darkened paper icon, on the table was a tin cup which served as an incense burner and another filled with sand for his candles.

It doesn't matter how fancy or proper the items are....it's what you do with them....and how you do it....with a clean, pure heart with earnestness and humility.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 03:30:25 PM »

Here is the church I normally attend to. It's almost like a collection of these heretical way-too-realistic Russian icons. It's a refreshing experience to attend services in a church like that after spending too much time with netodoxy.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 03:38:18 PM »

I once read somewhere that there was this very pious staretz (esteemed older monk) who was very respected for his advice, etc.  A man who always thought of himself as being very religious came to visit him.  This man tried to have all the appropriate Orthodox accoutrement's in his home - canonical, golden icons; elaborate candle sticks; incense burners, etc.

The elderly monk invited him in to his abode where the man saw little old table against the wall.  On the wall was a wrinkled and soot darkened paper icon, on the table was a tin cup which served as an incense burner and another filled with sand for his candles.

It doesn't matter how fancy or proper the items are....it's what you do with them....and how you do it....with a clean, pure heart with earnestness and humility.

Very good to hear, and I agree with what you said. 

— Chrysostom

BLOG
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 04:08:17 PM »

For my user name, I picked St. Timon who is celebrated on my birthday.  A long time ago, I asked if anyone knew where I could find an icon of him.  Someone referred me to this link... http://www.redbubble.com/people/allamel/works/5313507-apostle-timon?p=mounted-print

I recently heard that some icons arent canonical or ok to use, but I dont know how to tell.  Can anyone help me out here?  I do have him hanging in my icon corner.  The one I actually bought from that site is a print that I framed, and it is actually a post card that only cost around $1, so it wont hurt my feelings of I need to take it down.  Ha!

It looks fine to me.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 07:36:29 PM »

Nothing at all wrong with that icon, and it's quite well-painted, too. As for print vs hand-painted, there are some hardline iconographers who regard even the use of acrylic paints as practically heretical, and who say only egg-tempera is worthy. Nonsense. Saying that is like saying that chrismation only as the means of reception into the Church is inferior to full baptism. I guess such folks don't accept that St Elizabeth the Grand Duchess is truly a saint.  Roll Eyes

We have (but one example of many) the myrrh-streaming icon of St Nicholas, a humble mounted print, which even had a flaw in the mounting process. Yet, God has chosen to manifest His grace through this imperfect vessel. The stone that the builders rejected ...

Get your postcard icon blessed, Timon!

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 07:50:55 PM »

How humbling!

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 07:59:57 PM »

We have (but one example of many) the myrrh-streaming icon of St Nicholas, a humble mounted print, which even had a flaw in the mounting process. Yet, God has chosen to manifest His grace through this imperfect vessel. The stone that the builders rejected ...

Somewhere on this site is a record of an exchange between myself and another poster, where the other poster was arguing that icons needed to be created only with materials that he considered 'traditional', while I was making the point that modern materials such as acrylic paints are fine.

I am glad to read that other people here do understand that icons are not magical spells that must be created using the "correct spell components".   Roll Eyes

More than once I have read an account of a geronda not throwing away an icon that was on a church bulletin or any other material that we may discard. On account of these stories I save any bulletin I may happen to have been given.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »

Somewhere on this site is a record of an exchange between myself and another poster, where the other poster was arguing that icons needed to be created only with materials that he considered 'traditional', while I was making the point that modern materials such as acrylic paints are fine.

I am glad to read that other people here do understand that icons are not magical spells that must be created using the "correct spell components".   Roll Eyes

More than once I have read an account of a geronda not throwing away an icon that was on a church bulletin or any other material that we may discard. On account of these stories I save any bulletin I may happen to have been given.

we started not using icons on the front of our bulletin exactly for this reason.  we were tired of seeing icons in the trash or in the bathrooms. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 08:15:51 PM »

I, too, am not all that pleased with icons on church bulletins and the like. If they must be used, then it is of utmost importance that people are made aware by their priests or others that any such prints are burned or buried when they are to be disposed of.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 08:58:05 PM »

Here is the church I normally attend to. It's almost like a collection of these heretical way-too-realistic Russian icons. It's a refreshing experience to attend services in a church like that after spending too much time with netodoxy.

That's a beautiful little church. I really like the icons even if they are "way-too-realistic."

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 08:58:40 PM »

Now that's just like home. Smiley Although were I to be involved in the building of a new church today I would expect that we would use a traditional iconographic format - keeping in mind that there are more than one 'styles' and 'schools' which produce 'proper' iconography.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:01:26 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 10:48:29 PM »

This is why I have a stack of copies of The Word even though it is of very little interest to me.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 12:01:19 AM »

Just as many ancient iconographers used line icons with written descriptions as guides to "write" or paint icons from. So modern iconographers often use icon prints, post cards, and paper icons to refer to as they "Write" or painticons for today.

Egg Tempera is traditional but so are the use of Encaustic methods, and more recently in the past 3 centuries the use of oil [Paints on canvas or canvas covered boards were used in many Orthodox countries. Those today who nay say Acrylic icons as unnatural fail to realize that acrylics use a polymer made from soy beans that is used as the emulsion medium in place of egg yolk---soy beans are natural thus the "non=toxic  acrylic paints.

Originally Encaustic icons were done by painting with table icons were painted directly over a raw sanded board panel.  Original Egg Tempera icons were painted over Gessoed boards. During the Western Renaissance Period Byzantine iconographers began to glue canvas onto the boards and then Gesso and sand the canvas covered boards until they were as smooth as marble and then painted with Egg Tempera on the canvas covered boards . By the 18th Century the rise of western style icons began to show up in Russia and later into Greece  painted on canvas covered boards that were only lightly gessoed, in some areas this resulted in the abandonment of the board and simply canvas mounted on stretchers came into use. In the 20th century Fotios Kontoglou encouraged the Byzantine revival of iconography based upon classic icon styles of the heighth of the Byzantine empire and the return to the  materials and methods used at that time.

The use of paper icons began to rise as the Moslem persecution of Orthodox reduced access to iconography for the common Orthodox Christian resulting in Orthodox patronizing western (read that Roman Catholic) printing houses for icon holy cards. Russia joined in publishing paper icons to help supply the Antiochian and Jerusalem Patriarchates with holy cards for the common man to call their own and soon paper holy cards were given out for feasts and in almost every icon corner.

Traditionalists and "Purists" often forget that the icon has always evolved and will likely evolve as we continue to grow as a Church.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 01:23:46 AM »

That looks like a very nice icon.

Just keep in mind that a low-quality print off of an icon is as worthy of veneration as a 1,000 year old hand-painted icon from Mt. Athos Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 01:34:03 AM »

Just as many ancient iconographers used line icons with written descriptions as guides to "write" or paint icons from. So modern iconographers often use icon prints, post cards, and paper icons to refer to as they "Write" or painticons for today.

Egg Tempera is traditional but so are the use of Encaustic methods, and more recently in the past 3 centuries the use of oil [Paints on canvas or canvas covered boards were used in many Orthodox countries. Those today who nay say Acrylic icons as unnatural fail to realize that acrylics use a polymer made from soy beans that is used as the emulsion medium in place of egg yolk---soy beans are natural thus the "non=toxic  acrylic paints.

Originally Encaustic icons were done by painting with table icons were painted directly over a raw sanded board panel.  Original Egg Tempera icons were painted over Gessoed boards. During the Western Renaissance Period Byzantine iconographers began to glue canvas onto the boards and then Gesso and sand the canvas covered boards until they were as smooth as marble and then painted with Egg Tempera on the canvas covered boards . By the 18th Century the rise of western style icons began to show up in Russia and later into Greece  painted on canvas covered boards that were only lightly gessoed, in some areas this resulted in the abandonment of the board and simply canvas mounted on stretchers came into use. In the 20th century Fotios Kontoglou encouraged the Byzantine revival of iconography based upon classic icon styles of the heighth of the Byzantine empire and the return to the  materials and methods used at that time.

The use of paper icons began to rise as the Moslem persecution of Orthodox reduced access to iconography for the common Orthodox Christian resulting in Orthodox patronizing western (read that Roman Catholic) printing houses for icon holy cards. Russia joined in publishing paper icons to help supply the Antiochian and Jerusalem Patriarchates with holy cards for the common man to call their own and soon paper holy cards were given out for feasts and in almost every icon corner.

Traditionalists and "Purists" often forget that the icon has always evolved and will likely evolve as we continue to grow as a Church.

Thomas

Very good post.  Very interesting. 

So how long before we see an "icon corner" iphone app??  Cheesy

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 01:35:57 AM »

Thomas

Very good post.  Very interesting. 

So how long before we see an "icon corner" iphone app??  Cheesy

My bishop said that he forsees the shelves and shelves of liturgical books we have at Church to one day be put on an ipad.  What a space saver that would be!   Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 10:35:18 AM »

I came across this icon today.    I am assuming this is Christ, but, I have NEVER seen Him depicted in this way.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:35:50 AM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

—St. Isaac of Syria
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 10:57:18 AM »

Liza, this is a proper icon of Christ as the Ancient of Days. The imagery is derived from the vision in the Book of Daniel; the scroll in Christ's hand reads: From the womb, before the morning star, I have begotten you.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 11:01:12 AM »

I was hoping you would log in, because I KNEW that YOU would know the answer, LBK!

Grin

—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 11:07:40 AM »

So, what about this one?  Who is this?

My Greek is non-existent.  Note to self:  LEARN GREEK!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:08:11 AM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

—St. Isaac of Syria
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 11:14:33 AM »

I love the music.  Thanks for the link.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 11:24:29 AM »

So, what about this one?  Who is this?

My Greek is non-existent.  Note to self:  LEARN GREEK!

Prophet Elijah. His scroll reads: “I have been very zealous for the Lord God of hosts; because the children of Israel have forsaken You[r covenant]". It's part of verse 14 from 1 Kings 19.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 11:25:43 AM »

Excellent! Thanks, LBK!

—St. Isaac of Syria
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 11:35:50 AM »

No problem, my dear Liza. Happy to help.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:36:03 AM by LBK » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2012, 03:41:18 AM »

St. Elijah has very nice icons because he has his epic cloak on his shoulders.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: