OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 03:37:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Epistle Reading  (Read 2191 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2013, 07:23:05 PM »

back in the fourth century (or "back in the day")

Only on oc.net . . .

Fantastic.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2013, 04:48:14 AM »

Yes. "Wisdom, arise, let us hear the Holy Gospel..."

An interesting, trick question for our Koine translators or our OCS ones as well. Since many here hold a passionate hatred for pews, some even calling them an heretical (yikes) innovation, why then the need for the command to ARISE for the proclamation of the Holy Gospel? Seems redundant in that context?

Because, back in the fourth century (or "back in the day"), people sat for the epistle.

I can't see how it is that the congregation sat during the Epistle---typically, there would not be enough seats, "stathidia."  The churches did not have pews, just a few seats along the walls of the nave for the aged and infirmed who physically could not stand for the duration of the Divine Services.  It's been my understanding, and I can't recall the source, but I thought "arise," "orthi,"supported "Sophia," "Wisdom," thus, there is wisdom herein, therefore, "arise"= raise your attentiveness, or be more alert, because the Word of God is about to be presented.  I'm not aware of sitting in the early church, but I won't argue the point, just throwing this understanding out for comment.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2013, 07:24:31 AM »

An interesting, trick question for our Koine translators or our OCS ones as well. Since many here hold a passionate hatred for pews, some even calling them an heretical (yikes) innovation, why then the need for the command to ARISE for the proclamation of the Holy Gospel? Seems redundant in that context?

Because, back in the fourth century (or "back in the day"), people sat for the epistle.

I can't see how it is that the congregation sat during the Epistle---typically, there would not be enough seats, "stathidia."  The churches did not have pews, just a few seats along the walls of the nave for the aged and infirmed who physically could not stand for the duration of the Divine Services.  It's been my understanding, and I can't recall the source, but I thought "arise," "orthi,"supported "Sophia," "Wisdom," thus, there is wisdom herein, therefore, "arise"= raise your attentiveness, or be more alert, because the Word of God is about to be presented.  I'm not aware of sitting in the early church, but I won't argue the point, just throwing this understanding out for comment.

I have been in parishes without pews where people simply sit on the floor during these times.  I assumed that is why the churches put rugs down.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2013, 07:43:24 AM »

With the exception of elderly people I don't think I have ever seen anyone sitting during epistle.

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »

we have to stand when the priest is censing (often continues into the first epistle reading - we always have 2 of these) and after that we can sit, unless the gospel is being read or the priest or deacon has said stand, or we are singing (e.g. the Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal).

i try not to stand if everyone else is sitting (trying not to be hyperdox!)
also i sit more than everyone else if i have some injury or illness.
about the kneeling on sunday thing, some of the egyptian/sudanese/british etc. copts do it, and i assume it's because people immigrated from countries where their main liturgy was friday because sunday was a normal working day.

one other thing about copts sitting down - many of them are actually in semi prostration position, but the abundance of chairs/pews prevents proper prostration.
in one church i know well, there is a regular english liturgy in the adjoining church hall, and after the sermon (which is after the gospel), all the chairs are pulled away  Smiley for the rest of the liturgy. then i see several people prostrating (yes, on a sunday...) when they otherwise would have been sitting in the chairs with their heads bowed.

ethiopians/eritreans in uk are most likely to be seen on their knees (prostration) than in any other posture as far as i can tell!
i don't know why that is, but i also break the 'rule' and kneel (prostrate) on entering an eritrean church as they seem to assume people who don't do this are not orthodox! you have to do it 3 times, and of course you leave your shoes at the church entrance.
i assume ethiopians living in sweden in the winter either wear 3 pairs of socks or have very good heating!
does this frequent prostration in ethiopian/eritrean churches happen in america/africa?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2013, 11:44:29 PM »

The Desert Fathers sat on mats on the floor.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2013, 04:06:39 PM »

The Desert Fathers sat on mats on the floor.

Indeed. Some of the ancient liturgies have the deacon calling out "You who are seated, stand," so sitting was obviously common in ancient times as well. They just sat on the floor rather than on pews or stasidia. Basil's ""arise"= raise your attentiveness" is a nice theological interpretation, but I think it's safe to assume that it also simply meant "stand up".

As for the OP, the answer is quite simple: we should stand for prayer but may sit for instruction. During the readings - OT, Epistles, Kathismata, Synaxarion readings - and the sermon we are passive listeners, not active participants. For that reason we may sit. The Gospel - the only book kept on the holy altar - is the exception, and our standing in reverence reflects this.
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2013, 04:12:26 PM »

Quote from: Rule of St. Benedict (+543), Chapter IX
Duo responsoria sine Gloria dicantur; post tertiam vero lectionem, qui cantat dicat Gloriam. Quam dum incipit cantor dicere, mox omnes de sedilia sua surgant ob honorem et reverentiam sanctæ Trinitatis.

Let two of the responsories be said without the Gloria, but after the third lesson, let him who is chanting say the Gloria. When the cantor beginneth to sing it, let all rise at once from their seats in honor and reverence of the Blessed Trinity.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 04:13:40 PM by Romaios » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: