Author Topic: Protestants, do you pray for this?  (Read 11475 times)

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
Re: Protestants, do you pray for this?
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »
Mainstream Protestants complain about American Evangelicals every bit as bitterly as I do.

Is there really a difference? Mainstream American Protestants are Evangelicals for the most part; it has become the new movement within all of the American Protestant Churches. The only mainstream American Protestant Church I would exclude from this would be the Lutherans, but even they are not considered mainstream and Evangelicals have problems with them.

Granted I've never been Protestant
Really? I thought you were now.

ouch...

Offline alanscott

• Elder
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »
I spy a call-out thread...

Pardon my ignorance but what is a 'call-out' thread?
There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Melkite Catholic
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2012, 12:56:33 PM »
Granted I've never been Protestant
Really? I thought you were now.

Why?
- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2012, 12:57:39 PM »
I spy a call-out thread...

Pardon my ignorance but what is a 'call-out' thread?

I don't know either, but I started this thread in response to something that was said on the Christian News forum. Perhaps it has something to do with that.

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2012, 02:58:03 PM »
A thread that was made in response to something someone specifically said, in order to "call them out" on what they said.

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2012, 03:23:27 PM »
A thread that was made in response to something someone specifically said, in order to "call them out" on what they said.

I don't believe you are correctly representing the purpose of this thread; but honesty I don't much care to argue about it. I pretty much gave up on the purpose of this thread almost a month ago. I refer you to what I said in post #61:

----------------------------------------

Dear all,

Since challenging podkarpatska's prayer request a couple days ago, I've received quite a few posts in reply. Some of them defended the prayer request, others described what's wrong with some or all Protestants (which I don't disagree with by the way), still others said that I was being provocative or picking a fight by challenging podkarpatska's request, or “too bad if the truth hurts”, among other thing (cf. my previous post to Schultz).

After many such posts, I was informed that when Orthodox pray for Protestants to be "kept at a distance" it doesn't refer to physical distance, and it was further hinted (I believe) that it is in fact equivalent to praying that the ministrations of American evangelicals fall upon deaf ears in those lands.

This has me at a great disadvantage, not only because I just recently learned something that most/all of you Orthodox posters knew from the start, but also because I really don't know whether Protestants who pray “for Orthodox to be kept at a distance from the US” are actually praying for the ministrations of Orthodox in the US to fall upon deaf ears, so I'm going to have to disqualify myself from that corner of the discussion.

But leaving that aside, I want to thank everyone who has posted on this thread, and also others like Fr. Ambrose and Wyatt, with whom I have conversed in the last month or so (which has been great by the way). Don't forget about me, I'll be back again before you know it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:24:46 PM by Peter J »

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2012, 03:29:37 PM »
I pretty much gave up on the purpose of this thread almost a month ago.

P.S. Although, as you may have already noticed, I didn't just roll over regarding the rumor that was started about me:

Dear Schultz,

With regard to whether I think that "Protestants and Orthodox are part of the same church" you said, "As for how I came to this,  your words in this very thread." But you haven't said which words. "Only someone who labors under the impression that the Orthodox and the Protestant missionaries, many of whom, as podkarpatska noted, view the Orthodox as NOT being Christian, are of the same "invisible" church." which I admit I don't understand.

I would really like to know what I said that gave you the idea that I think that "Protestants and Orthodox are part of the same church".

(Later you said that I "still haven't actually corrected anything", but I don't see how I can defend myself when you haven't shown me the evidence against me.)

Offline Wyatt

• Archon
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Latin Church
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2012, 11:42:25 AM »

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Western Rite Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: AOCNA - Diocese of Charleston and beyond
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2012, 11:52:45 AM »
I wondered for a while if I was "going Anglican" as you might say. But in the end, no, although I think I have more respect and liking for Anglicanism than I used to.

Addendum: A few weeks ago I started using the descriptor "High Church" to explain where I am religiously. Not long after that, I began to think that I should perhaps be a little more specific, to avoid misunderstandings.

This line of thought led me, especially, to one particular question: am I still a Catholic, or am I now an Anglican? (I don't want to get into a lengthy explanation of what Anglican means; but for the sake of interpreting the preceding sentence, suffice it to say that for me "Anglican" includes not only the Anglican Communion, but the Continuing Anglicans as well.) I pondered this question for some weeks, and in the end the answer seemed quite clear: I am a Catholic. I do have a great liking for Anglicanism, at least as understood by the Continuing Anglicans, but it isn't who I am.

Having said all that, I want to set the record straight for anyone who may be wondering if I'm SSPX. I'm not. I definitely believe that the SSPX is and has always been Catholic, and I definitely think that studying them has been very helpful to me as a Catholic, but I'm not SSPX myself.

Thanks for reading.  :)

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Western Rite Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: AOCNA - Diocese of Charleston and beyond
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2012, 12:02:17 PM »
Now who's "hipster"? 
Ah, turnabout is fair play my friend :) Good one :)

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Indocern

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2016, 01:57:57 PM »
Protestants, I'm wondering how many of you pray for Catholics and/or Orthodox to be "kept at a distance" from the US (or whatever country)?

I'd like to think not very many of you do; but I had to ask because on another thread, an Orthodox posted this regarding Eastern Europe:

Keep them all in your prayers so that the secularists and Protestants are kept at a distance.

Apparently it's okay for Orthodox and Catholics to be there but not Protestants.

Protestants want to attract more people to them to become protestants, that's why they don't keep us on distance. But we Orthodox must not fall to their blandishments.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:01:17 PM by Indocern »

Offline Daedelus1138

• High Elder
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2016, 10:06:24 AM »
If you truly wish to be a missionary and to save lost souls, to bring them the Good News, to educate them about Christ, then go to the lands that are NOT Christian. 

Somebody who is baptized once in a church and never darkened a church door once in their life, don't they need to hear the Gospel?  Russia and Eastern Europe have a lot of those sorts of individuals.  But instead the Orthodox Church in many of those countries seems to be preaching mostly nationalism and xenophobia... anything but the Good News of Jesus Christ.

I know MANY Lutheran churches, Mormons, etc. first hand, that travel to Russia and Ukraine to save their lost souls.  Their souls are not lost. 

They are lost to religious nominalism.  It sounds like an unevangelized land, frankly.  The Gospel, the forgiveness of sins and eternal life, is being co-opted by nationalist interests of the myth of "Holy Russia".  I'd say that's reason enough to evangelize.

Most of the Lutheran missionary work I have heard of in Russia is not looking to actively proselytize among devout Orthodox Christians.  In some cases there is no actual "conversion" that happens.  Mostly what happens is a liberal Russians of Orthodox background might prefer to go to a Lutheran or Methodist church because they feel alienated from the Orthodox Church.  And almost always their baptisms are recognized as valid.  Indeed, most Lutherans in Russia are ethnic minorities (German, Finnish), not actual ethnic Russians.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:16:29 AM by Daedelus1138 »

Offline juliogb

« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2016, 12:38:15 PM »

Nice pic.

Offline RaphaCam

• Hyperdox kid
  • OC.net guru
  • The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan!
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2016, 09:44:35 PM »
But instead the Orthodox Church in many of those countries seems to be preaching mostly nationalism and xenophobia... anything but the Good News of Jesus Christ. [...] The Gospel, the forgiveness of sins and eternal life, is being co-opted by nationalist interests of the myth of "Holy Russia".  I'd say that's reason enough to evangelize.
Do you actually know Russia? It sounds an awful lot like you're prejudicedly setting the most publicised problems of the Church as some kind of hegemony, as if there were 10 Dugins for each babushka there.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:45:27 PM by RaphaCam »
But the Lord is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him. (Holy Habakkuk 2:20)

Offline Porter ODoran

• Ex-Amish ex Appalachia
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2016, 09:50:30 PM »
Pure hubris, this idea that some upstart foreign sect could do the work of the Church and the Russian people better than they themselves can, or should do it for them at all.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline juliogb

« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2016, 07:27:27 AM »
Well, sincerely, some religious competition can be good sometimes, clergy starts to wake up and adress their problems and the problems of the faithfull, really, if russian orthodox clergy is so concerned with that, they really should teach people better, because a orthodox that knows his faith clearly, probably wont convert to seventh day adventism or whatever. If they want to prevent people from going to protestant churches they really should adress those matters, spend more time teaching, behavingly in a saintly manner and stop promoting nationalism if that is the case.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Elder
  • Old believers have that old-time religion!
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2016, 09:11:43 AM »
Since many Evangelicals say Orthodox and RC's are not Christians, they dont think of it as proseletyzing.

Indeed. On the other hand, many Orthodox speak about Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodists etc. as though we may as well not be Christian.

Sad, on both sides.
The difference is that the Orthodox can point to the exact anathemas against Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodists etc. that the actual Church enacted and that they are subject to. Between the Seventh Ecumenical Council and the Photian Council (sometimes called the Eight Ecumenical) and the Palamite Councils, there's multiple grounds for heresy.

Meanwhile the Evangelicals read one Bible verse and suddenly icon veneration is idol-worship. Or maybe not, because you have the right to your own private interpretation of the Bible based on what you think the Holy Spirit told you regardless of what anyone else has ever said. But try to use that to defend the Church's version and they will become grumpy. ::)
In 1666 the Orthodox Old-Believers were supposedly anathemized in Moscow.  Coincidence?