OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 12:57:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protestants, do you pray for this?  (Read 4311 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »

Mainstream Protestants complain about American Evangelicals every bit as bitterly as I do.

Is there really a difference? Mainstream American Protestants are Evangelicals for the most part; it has become the new movement within all of the American Protestant Churches. The only mainstream American Protestant Church I would exclude from this would be the Lutherans, but even they are not considered mainstream and Evangelicals have problems with them.

Granted I've never been Protestant
Really? I thought you were now.

ouch...
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »

I spy a call-out thread...

Pardon my ignorance but what is a 'call-out' thread?

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2012, 12:56:33 PM »

Why?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2012, 12:57:39 PM »

I spy a call-out thread...

Pardon my ignorance but what is a 'call-out' thread?

I don't know either, but I started this thread in response to something that was said on the Christian News forum. Perhaps it has something to do with that.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2012, 02:58:03 PM »

A thread that was made in response to something someone specifically said, in order to "call them out" on what they said.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2012, 03:23:27 PM »

A thread that was made in response to something someone specifically said, in order to "call them out" on what they said.

I don't believe you are correctly representing the purpose of this thread; but honesty I don't much care to argue about it. I pretty much gave up on the purpose of this thread almost a month ago. I refer you to what I said in post #61:

----------------------------------------

Dear all,

Since challenging podkarpatska's prayer request a couple days ago, I've received quite a few posts in reply. Some of them defended the prayer request, others described what's wrong with some or all Protestants (which I don't disagree with by the way), still others said that I was being provocative or picking a fight by challenging podkarpatska's request, or “too bad if the truth hurts”, among other thing (cf. my previous post to Schultz).

After many such posts, I was informed that when Orthodox pray for Protestants to be "kept at a distance" it doesn't refer to physical distance, and it was further hinted (I believe) that it is in fact equivalent to praying that the ministrations of American evangelicals fall upon deaf ears in those lands.

This has me at a great disadvantage, not only because I just recently learned something that most/all of you Orthodox posters knew from the start, but also because I really don't know whether Protestants who pray “for Orthodox to be kept at a distance from the US” are actually praying for the ministrations of Orthodox in the US to fall upon deaf ears, so I'm going to have to disqualify myself from that corner of the discussion.

But leaving that aside, I want to thank everyone who has posted on this thread, and also others like Fr. Ambrose and Wyatt, with whom I have conversed in the last month or so (which has been great by the way). Don't forget about me, I'll be back again before you know it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:24:46 PM by Peter J » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2012, 03:29:37 PM »

I pretty much gave up on the purpose of this thread almost a month ago.

P.S. Although, as you may have already noticed, I didn't just roll over regarding the rumor that was started about me:

Dear Schultz,

With regard to whether I think that "Protestants and Orthodox are part of the same church" you said, "As for how I came to this,  your words in this very thread." But you haven't said which words. "Only someone who labors under the impression that the Orthodox and the Protestant missionaries, many of whom, as podkarpatska noted, view the Orthodox as NOT being Christian, are of the same "invisible" church." which I admit I don't understand.

I would really like to know what I said that gave you the idea that I think that "Protestants and Orthodox are part of the same church".

(Later you said that I "still haven't actually corrected anything", but I don't see how I can defend myself when you haven't shown me the evidence against me.)

Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2012, 11:42:25 AM »

Why?
Anglicans are Protestants.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2012, 11:47:21 AM »

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2012, 11:52:45 AM »

I wondered for a while if I was "going Anglican" as you might say. But in the end, no, although I think I have more respect and liking for Anglicanism than I used to.

Addendum: A few weeks ago I started using the descriptor "High Church" to explain where I am religiously. Not long after that, I began to think that I should perhaps be a little more specific, to avoid misunderstandings.

This line of thought led me, especially, to one particular question: am I still a Catholic, or am I now an Anglican? (I don't want to get into a lengthy explanation of what Anglican means; but for the sake of interpreting the preceding sentence, suffice it to say that for me "Anglican" includes not only the Anglican Communion, but the Continuing Anglicans as well.) I pondered this question for some weeks, and in the end the answer seemed quite clear: I am a Catholic. I do have a great liking for Anglicanism, at least as understood by the Continuing Anglicans, but it isn't who I am.

Having said all that, I want to set the record straight for anyone who may be wondering if I'm SSPX. I'm not. I definitely believe that the SSPX is and has always been Catholic, and I definitely think that studying them has been very helpful to me as a Catholic, but I'm not SSPX myself.

Thanks for reading.  Smiley

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2012, 11:54:12 AM »

Now who's "hipster"?  Tongue  Cheesy

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2012, 12:02:17 PM »

Now who's "hipster"? 
Ah, turnabout is fair play my friend Smiley Good one Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: