Author Topic: Incorrupt bodies  (Read 872 times)

Offline eaden

• Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: SSPX, Supplied
Incorrupt bodies
« on: October 01, 2016, 09:39:03 PM »
 Is it possible for orthodoxy to have Incorrupt bodies of catholic canonized saints?
"Pray the Rosary everyday in order to obtain peace for the World" Our Lady of Fatima; May 13, 1917

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
Re: Incorrupt bodies
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 10:50:35 PM »
I have a friend who would always bring this up, until I started saying that we have our accounts of incorruptibility, and that this fact in itself is not an indicative of sainthood:

Death to the world dodos.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 11:15:35 PM »
I don't understand. Are you asking if we should turn our relics over to Rome?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 11:22:23 PM »
I think he wants to know if there are Orthodox saints whose bodies were incorruptible.
In a time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • recovering zealot
  • Faith: ortho-wannabe
  • Jurisdiction: goaa--with pews, organs, the works!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 11:43:13 PM »
No no, he's resting!  ;) er...meditating it looks like.

Sounds like the question is if Orthodox think only Orthodox saints are incorrupt, and the answer is no, here's a counterexample: not even Christian, but incorrupt.

Of course with being pumped full of embalming fluid like every modern mortician wants to do -- probably everyone is now "incorrupt"!  ::)

Crist aras! Soþlice he aras! (on West Saxon Englisch)

Offline RaphaCam

• Holy Martyr Mercurius
  • Archon
  • Please pray for my family and for myself
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 12:48:39 AM »
I don't understand. Are you asking if we should turn our relics over to Rome?
I understood the opposite, that he's asking if we might be interested as Orthodox in obtaining relics of RC saints.
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Como posso lidar com minha condição pecadora?

Offline Vanhyo

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Bulgaria
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 09:03:59 AM »
i did not understand the question so - nvm
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 09:06:54 AM by Vanhyo »

Offline eaden

• Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: SSPX, Supplied
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 03:48:31 PM »
Ok, let me change the question:
A saint is a man who had extraordinary virtues during life by the grace of God. Is it possible to have saints out of the Orthodox Church?
"Pray the Rosary everyday in order to obtain peace for the World" Our Lady of Fatima; May 13, 1917

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox and Postpositivist
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 04:09:04 PM »
A saint is a man who had extraordinary virtues during life by the grace of God. Is it possible to have saints out of the Orthodox Church?

I'm open to the idea insofar that it is understood that by "outside the Orthodox Church" it is meant "visibly outside the formal institution, yet spiritually part of the Body of Christ."
"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion." - Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.” - Lord Pococurante in Candide by Voltaire

Check out my new blog: Shameless Orthodoxy Latest Post:  Latin Divorce & Remarriage: A Forgotten History

Offline RaphaCam

• Holy Martyr Mercurius
  • Archon
  • Please pray for my family and for myself
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 04:30:23 PM »

I'm open to the idea insofar that it is understood that by "outside the Orthodox Church" it is meant "visibly outside the formal institution, yet spiritually part of the Body of Christ."
+1

Also, it is almost impossible that he be liturgically commemorated, even if many Orthodox may privately recognise his sainthood.
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Como posso lidar com minha condição pecadora?

Offline Onesimus

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 04:39:33 PM »
Just a note on the photo thE OP posted of possible "incorruption." The image of the Buddhist monk above is most likely Dashi-Dorzho Itigilov.   As I looked at the photo, I presu,Ed the white powdery substance on his lower body was ice.   It turns out it may have been salt - a preserving and mummifying agent that the body was packed in, according to investigative sources.

Anyway...there are many way that bodies are kept incorruption through natural mechanisms, such as the various "bog bodies" and, apparently - being pack in salt.   

The following article talks about Dashi-Dorzho Itigilov, but also is fascinating because it speaks of a Japanese method of self mummification used by monks.   

The steps involved in mummifying one’s own body were extremely rigorous and painful. For the first 1,000 days, the monks ceased all food except nuts, seeds, fruits and berries and they engaged in extensive physical activity to strip themselves of all body fat. For the next 1,000 days, their diet was restricted to bark and roots. Near the end of this period, they would drink poisonous tea made from the sap of the Urushi tree, which caused vomiting and a rapid loss of body fluids. It also acted as a preservative and killed off maggots and bacteria that would cause the body to decay after death.
In the final stage, after more than six years of torturous preparation, the monk would lock himself in a stone tomb barely larger than his body, where he would go into a state of meditation. He was seated in the lotus position, a position he would not move from until he died. A small air tube provided oxygen to the tomb. Each day, the monk rang a bell to let the outside world know he was still alive. When the bell stopped ringing, the tube was removed and the tomb sealed for the final thousand day period of the ritual

http://www.ancient-origins.net/news/mummified-remains-monk-still-lotus-position-found-mongolia-002623

Offline Cavaradossi

• 法網恢恢,疏而不漏
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 06:13:46 PM »

No, because only the grace which God gives the Church can produce saints. It is possible that God can afford those outside of the Church with some measure of grace as He did for the Jews who labored under the law, but the grace of the new covenant surpasses what could be gained under the law. In this way, though we may speak of virtuous and even righteous people outside of the unity of the Church, we do not generally refer to them as saints, with a few dubious exceptions.
Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.

Offline Charles1967

• Jurisdiction: California
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 08:16:44 PM »
Many pics on the web stating incoruptible Saints. But many are decomposed partialy or a lot. Only a few I have noticed truly look like a miracle. One is St.  Bernadette
And there is one of a martyr from 1600 years ago. St.Silvan

Amazing photos

https://bibliothequedecombat.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/14146524sainte-bernadette-soubirous-jpg.jpg

http://i2.wp.com/listverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/silvan1-tm.jpg?resize=435%2C300

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Archon
  • St. Arsenios of "Saint-Producing" Cappadocia
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 09:14:38 PM »
Many pics on the web stating incoruptible Saints. But many are decomposed partialy or a lot. Only a few I have noticed truly look like a miracle. One is St.  Bernadette

Amazing photos

https://bibliothequedecombat.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/14146524sainte-bernadette-soubirous-jpg.jpg

http://i2.wp.com/listverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/silvan1-tm.jpg?resize=435%2C300
Masks.
You sound like a professional who knows what he's talking about.  That's because you are.

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Vanhyo

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Bulgaria
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 01:26:05 PM »

No, because only the grace which God gives the Church can produce saints. It is possible that God can afford those outside of the Church with some measure of grace as He did for the Jews who labored under the law, but the grace of the new covenant surpasses what could be gained under the law. In this way, though we may speak of virtuous and even righteous people outside of the unity of the Church, we do not generally refer to them as saints, with a few dubious exceptions.
I find this answer agreeable.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 01:31:11 PM »
I'm surprised anyone's willing to declare God has absolutely deserted Roman Catholic people.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 01:33:11 PM by Porter ODoran »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 01:55:14 PM »
You have just described my late grandmother, a person of extraordinary virtues by the grace of God, the problem is that's not what a saint is
Ἦχος Βαρύς

Ὁπλιτικῆς φάλαγγος οἰκεῖον μέλος
ὁ τοῦ βάρους σὺ κλῆσιν εἰληφῶς φέρεις.
Ἧχον τὸν ἁπλοῦν τὸν βάρους ἐπώνυμον
ὁ τοὺς λογισμοὺς ἐν βοαῖς μισῶν φιλεῖ.
Ἀνδρῶν δὲ ἄσμα δευτερότριτε βρέμεις.
Ὧν ποικίλος δὲ τοὺς ἁπλούς ἔχεις φίλους.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 07:51:26 PM »

Amazing photos

Masks.
And wax hands.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"