Author Topic: The most recognisable Church to early Christians  (Read 612 times)

Offline 786SalamKhan

• Faith: Attracted to Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: Considering the Catholic Church
The most recognisable Church to early Christians
« on: September 08, 2016, 08:47:53 PM »
Which Church would be the most recognizable to Early Christians?
What I mean to ask is, if somehow a Christian from 120AD until right before the 4th century AD, ended up in our time, which church could he (or she) walk into and instantly recognize it as his (or her) church?

Please don't factor in language barrier or theological differences.

I heard it would be the Oriental Orthodox Church in Egypt, but anyway, please state why in your answers/opinions.

Thanks in advance and God bless.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:07:30 PM by 786SalamKhan »

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
Re: The most recognisable Church to early Christians
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 09:36:24 PM »
What I mean to ask is, if somehow a Christian from 120AD until right before the 4th century AD, ended up in our time, which church could he (or she) walk into and instantly recognize it as his (or her) church?
None.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:36:45 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 09:52:11 PM »
As usual, wrong answer ^

Any Orthodox Church.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 10:02:50 PM »
Of course it would be an Orthodox church, because it was based on the synagogue worship like they had in the 1st century.
The EOs were careful to preserve the liturgies from the time you ask about.

Greek and Aramaic were two major NT languages and they are found in the Orthodox churches.

If you really want to get specific for the 1st century, I would say the Syriac church (EO or OO) because of the same language use. (Syriac=Aramaic)

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 10:05:14 PM »
I would think there is no worship service that taken in its entirety is the same as Christian worship before A.D. 200. The closest might be some monastic services, or some of the Lenten-season services. The reason being that we have less Bible reading than they did (including "Old Testament") and more ceremony and singing (certainly they did not have musical compositions at the Byzantine level). That said, any Orthodox Divine Liturgy, Eucharistic portion, would be immediately comprehensible.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 10:07:17 PM »
Of course it would be an Orthodox church, because it was based on the synagogue worship like they had in the 1st century.

Greek and Aramaic were two major NT languages and they are found in the Orthodox churches.

If you really want to get specific for the 1st century, I would say the Syriac church (EO or OO) because of the same language use. (Syriac=Aramaic)

The center of Christianity moved rather quickly away from the Middle East and toward Rome and Grecia. I know it's not the consensus critical view, but in my opinion finding Greek-language services even in the lifetime of St. Paul would not have been uncommon.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 10:09:33 PM »

The center of Christianity moved rather quickly away from the Middle East and toward Rome and Grecia. I know it's not the consensus critical view, but in my opinion finding Greek-language services even in the lifetime of St. Paul would not have been uncommon.
Yes. Consider the Corinthians.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 10:14:11 PM »

Yes. Consider the Corinthians.

The Church at Corinth is one example of about fifteen we read about in the Epistles and the Acts. It's hard to believe the Greek-centered churches were limited to only what we read, as well, since we know that the Apostles not only started Churches themselves but commissioned their own disciples to do the same, including the early bishops which St. Paul said that Apostles should "appoint in every city." My guess is that, before the persecution of Nero, the Church probably at least had small missions in almost every Roman city and province.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 10:14:28 PM »
As usual, wrong answer ^

Any Orthodox Church.
Instantly recognize, Isa? As their church?
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Offline RaphaCam

• OC.net guru
  • New Martyr Elizabeth
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 10:15:54 PM »
A small and improvised Eastern rite parish would probably be the most familiar place, although not identical for the reasons named above and others.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:17:06 PM by RaphaCam »
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 10:18:06 PM »
As usual, wrong answer ^

Any Orthodox Church.
Instantly recognize, Isa? As their church?

So are we talking about Christian people on the way to the agora in 150 A.D. suddenly being swept up thru time and space so that they enter an Orthodox service without being aware? Or are we talking about saints who somehow return from heaven, in our times, and are well aware of our situation? Or something in between? I think that our denomination situation might confuse early Christians for a while; conversely, however, there's no doubt in my mind that they would not question the Christianity of an Orthodox DL if they walked in on it.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • The icon is of myself
  • Faith: Dyophistie / anti-severian/
  • Jurisdiction: With Pews
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 10:38:16 PM »
OCA
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:40:08 PM by augustin717 »
Holy martyr Proterius, patriarch of Alexandria,  pray for us!
Pro-homosexual Hypocrite in residence

Offline 786SalamKhan

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 04:40:03 AM »
^Why?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 04:42:50 AM by 786SalamKhan »

Offline 786SalamKhan

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 05:18:47 AM »

I heard it would be Egypt, since Egypt didn't have a lot of outside influence, hence why the see of Alexandria was a beacon of orthodoxy during the Arian crisis and why Egypt was able to give rise to monasticism.

Offline mike

• Pink Mafia
  • Protostrator
  • Pray for Christians in Radom!
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 01:51:56 PM »

I heard it would be Egypt, since Egypt didn't have a lot of outside influence, hence why the see of Alexandria was a beacon of orthodoxy during the Arian crisis and why Egypt was able to give rise to monasticism.

But first Christians have never heard of monasticism.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 01:59:21 PM »
I think they'd be most alarmed by the glowing exit signs, the priest's voice coming out of holes in the wall, and chandelier candles burning without melting or flickering.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline RaphaCam

• OC.net guru
  • New Martyr Elizabeth
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 02:31:49 PM »
I think they'd be most alarmed by the glowing exit signs, the priest's voice coming out of holes in the wall, and chandelier candles burning without melting or flickering.
I LOL'd.  :laugh: They would probably be horrified by this debate, too.
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Offline Onesimus

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 02:34:44 PM »

What do you think John the Baptist was?

The Essenes?

Monasticism is older than people believe...it just started taking different forms and "rules."

Offline RaphaCam

• OC.net guru
  • New Martyr Elizabeth
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 02:51:15 PM »
The faithful Jews would retire to the desert to live in communities in the times of King Manasseh, too. (VII century BC)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 02:51:39 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 03:16:15 PM »
If we're talking second century Christians, any kind of iconostasis would be foreign to them.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline 786SalamKhan

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 03:34:56 PM »
If we're talking second century Christians, any kind of iconostasis would be foreign to them.

It doesn't have to be 2nd century Christians, it could be 3rd century.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »

I think that even a 3rd century Christian would take some time to figure out that any existing church was their kind of church.

I think perhaps you are seeing this as a sort of litmus test or indicator of continuity from the 3rd century to today. But is it bringing out the important points?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 03:41:37 PM by NicholasMyra »

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 04:21:56 PM »

You'd have to get to about the fifth before that became a common thing, and even then it looked nothing like today's icon screen.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 04:22:37 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline 786SalamKhan

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2016, 04:55:05 PM »

I think that even a 3rd century Christian would take some time to figure out that any existing church was their kind of church.

I think perhaps you are seeing this as a sort of litmus test or indicator of continuity from the 3rd century to today. But is it bringing out the important points?

If I was seeking continuity then I would look for theology instead.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 05:27:31 PM »

You can walk into a church and instantly recognize theology sans external accruements?

Offline wgw

• Protokentarchos
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2016, 05:31:06 PM »

What about the ancient House Church and the icon-adorned synagogue excavated at Dura Europos?

Also, St. Epiphanius ripped down a curtain at a church in Palestine or Jordan which featured what he considered an inappropriate depiction of our Lord Jesus Christ (this does not mean as suggested by some Protestants that he was an iconoclast).  That was in 380.

In Oriental Orthodox churches, especially Syriac Orthodox churches, instead of an iconostasis per se you often have a curtain with a picture of our Lord on it, but the function is the same.

I believe the liturgical veil dates to at least the fourth century, in the form of a curtain and templon, and I think icons and having walls covered in them dates back to the late first century based in part on archaeological evidence (the Dura Europos synagogue).
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2016, 05:38:59 PM »
This is a weird topic. 
Quote from: Fr Alexander Schmemann
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2016, 05:42:56 PM »

What about the ancient House Church and the icon-adorned synagogue excavated at Dura Europos?

Also, St. Epiphanius ripped down a curtain at a church in Palestine or Jordan which featured what he considered an inappropriate depiction of our Lord Jesus Christ (this does not mean as suggested by some Protestants that he was an iconoclast).  That was in 380.

In Oriental Orthodox churches, especially Syriac Orthodox churches, instead of an iconostasis per se you often have a curtain with a picture of our Lord on it, but the function is the same.

I believe the liturgical veil dates to at least the fourth century, in the form of a curtain and templon, and I think icons and having walls covered in them dates back to the late first century based in part on archaeological evidence (the Dura Europos synagogue).

Icon on walls =/= icon screens.

It's not a hill I'm going to die on, but at least in the Byzantine rite what we have now is much closer to what one would have seen 1,000 years ago rather than 2,000 years ago. The thought of liturgical development doesn't scare me.

Offline wgw

• Protokentarchos
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2016, 05:57:09 PM »

Icon on walls =/= icon screens.

It's not a hill I'm going to die on, but at least in the Byzantine rite what we have now is much closer to what one would have seen 1,000 years ago rather than 2,000 years ago. The thought of liturgical development doesn't scare me.

On this point you are certainly correct.  Actually, the rites in their present forum as used by all Eastern and Oriental Orthodox churches, setting aside recent changes to the calendar and developments in music, the liturgical text, in its present rescension, is on average about 500 years old.  But there are elements which strech back to the beginning.  Which is whynall the rites have commonalities; most of the Eastern Rites have had the Trisagion since the fourth century, Ho Monoges since the sixth, and so on.  Kyrie eleison is ubiquitious, as is the Sursum Corda at the start of the Anaphora.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline 786SalamKhan

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2016, 07:25:03 PM »

You can walk into a church and instantly recognize theology sans external accruements?

No, where did I even say that? He asked me if I was looking for continuity in external appearance, despite the more important points (such as theology). I merely clarified that if I was looking for continuity, I would focus on the more important points (such as theology).

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2016, 07:30:36 PM »

gotcha

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2016, 07:36:47 PM »
Probably the Church of Catacombs and Graves described after the burial and resurrection of Christ.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2016, 08:59:12 PM »

Eusebius testified otherwise
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf201.iii.vii.xviii.html
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2016, 09:01:24 PM »
^Why?
augustin has a vendetta against America in general, so the OCA just combines that with his mockery of taking Orthodoxy seriously.

It has nothing to do with your topic, just with his issues.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 09:01:52 PM by ialmisry »