Author Topic: The Henotikon  (Read 2308 times)

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
The Henotikon
« on: June 12, 2010, 07:07:14 PM »
I would also be interested to hear what people have to say about the Henotikon of Patriarch Acacius. Beforehand it would seem that the OO authorities required rejection of Chalcedon without compromise. Then Pope Peter III of Alexandria and Patriarch Peter "the Fuller" of Antioch accepted the Henotikon which did not include a condemnation of Chalcedon. Then it seems that there were some who began to reject the Henotikon, particularly St. Severus of Antioch and, if I remember correctly, the Second Council of Dvin.

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
Re: The Henotikon
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:32:01 PM »
The Henotikon contained an acceptable confession of faith, but it failed to either condemn or support Chalcedon and was therefore in the end unable to bring about unity. Just ignoring a problem never maes it go away.

Father Peter
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline HabteSelassie

• Ises and I-ity
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 06:15:59 PM »
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I was reading some Saint Severus and then some other histories about Emperor Zeno and Emperor Justinian and the whole Henotikon episode..

I was thinking:

Considering the sentiment expressed by the Orientals was sometimes more personality driven then ideological, perhaps then was the rejection of the Henotikon by the Oriental side more so because it lacked Anathemas against the individuals involved in the Chalcedon debates or because of its lacking of emphasizing a miaphysis?

It seems to me that when we dig into the historical sources, a lot of the beef was more individual and personality driven than any substantive doctrinal disputes, on both sides, the Byzantines seemed to be more upset with the Oriental personalities then the doctrines being discussed, and likewise the Orientals seemed to be more upset with the individuals in Byzantium polity rather than the doctrines themselves.  Yes, both sides ostentatiously claimed to be discussing theology, but when the rubber hits the road, it seems name-dropping was a lot more prevelant in their communications then doctrinal disputation.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:27:42 PM by HabteSelassie »
"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10

Offline Peter J

• still a CAF poster
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:22:30 PM »
It seems this thread didn't get too much action when it was first started, and possibly won't fare any better now.

Nevertheless, I'd like to add a question to the mix: in modern-day Orthodoxy (EO and OO) is the Henotikon something that only scholars talk about? Or is it something that might, say, come up in a homily/sermon every once in a blue moon?
- Peter Jericho

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 11:33:16 PM »
It seems this thread didn't get too much action when it was first started, and possibly won't fare any better now.

Nevertheless, I'd like to add a question to the mix: in modern-day Orthodoxy (EO and OO) is the Henotikon something that only scholars talk about? Or is it something that might, say, come up in a homily/sermon every once in a blue moon?

I have never, ever, heard anyone say the word 'Henotikon' let alone go into any detail, in Church.  I've rarely even read the word outside the context of OO-EO relations.
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:19:34 AM »
Its a word I use fairly regularly. The Henotikon is important from lots of points of views. Of course it depends in whose company I am in. But I would expect educated clergy and laity to know of it.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline Peter J

• still a CAF poster
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 12:10:46 PM »
I guess that leads into my next question: does the use of it vary from one Church to another? For example, one might suppose that the Syriac Church (OO) and the Antiochian Church (EO), which have close relations with one another, would use it a lot.
- Peter Jericho

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 07:20:29 PM »
Its a word I use fairly regularly. The Henotikon is important from lots of points of views. Of course it depends in whose company I am in. But I would expect educated clergy and laity to know of it.

But do you frequently use it in homilies?  Certainly most educated clergy and laity should know it, but most people - I find - are not educated enough (with the exception of many, if not most, priests) in Church history to the point where they would know much if anything about the Henotikon.
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 08:36:12 PM »
Is the Henotikon available to read as a paper book or online?
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline CoptoGeek

• of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 02:43:34 PM »

Biro, it starts at about a quarter of the way down the page.

CHAPTER XIV.
THE HENOTICON (INSTRUMENT OF UNION).

From Evagrius Scholasticus, Ecclesiastical History (AD431-594), translated by E. Walford (1846).  Book 3.

http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/evagrius_3_book3.htm
"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa

Offline Hiwot

• Christ is Risen!
  • OC.net guru
  • Job 19:25-27
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 03:16:57 PM »

CHAPTER XIV.

From Evagrius Scholasticus, Ecclesiastical History (AD431-594), translated by E. Walford (1846).  Book 3.

You, mon amie are a gem! ;D thanks for the link
To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 03:53:20 PM »

CHAPTER XIV.

Thank you.  :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist