OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 12:54:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prostrations/kneelings during Pre-Sanctified Liturgy  (Read 1411 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: February 07, 2012, 01:55:56 AM »

last year, His Grace, Bishop BASIL of DOWAMA graced us (no pun intended) with his presence during Pre-Sanctified Liturgy.  We chanters noticed him kneeling and making prostrations at points in the LIturgy which took us by surprise such as "Let my prayer arise" and the Lord's prayer. we, naturally followed his lead.  Today, I found this article which confirms what Bishop BASIL did, but it's from a Russian Orthodox Church.  http://www.stelizabeth.net/?q=node/190

My question:  Are the rubrics indicated here for people prostrating/kneeling the same for those who observe the modern Greek/Arabic typicon?  Thanks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 07:28:31 AM »

last year, His Grace, Bishop BASIL of DOWAMA graced us (no pun intended) with his presence during Pre-Sanctified Liturgy.  We chanters noticed him kneeling and making prostrations at points in the LIturgy which took us by surprise such as "Let my prayer arise" and the Lord's prayer. we, naturally followed his lead.  Today, I found this article which confirms what Bishop BASIL did, but it's from a Russian Orthodox Church.  http://www.stelizabeth.net/?q=node/190

My question:  Are the rubrics indicated here for people prostrating/kneeling the same for those who observe the modern Greek/Arabic typicon?  Thanks.

I read the link. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never seen that many prostrations done during any Liturgy. Ever.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 09:36:27 AM »

Is it possible that the churches who were under the Ottoman Muslim yoke changed in part because of a perceived need to have as few things in common with the Muslims as possible?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 11:34:25 AM »

Why wouldn't be there any prostrations as it's neither Saturday nor Sunday?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
David Leon

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »

In an OCA parish in the southern US,  and this is pretty close to the practice in our parish.  The linked article has a couple of prostrations that we don't do, but in general this is very familiar to me. 
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:45:29 AM »

I don't think I'll be able to do prostrations in my church - we usually have the Pre-Sanctified Liturgies in the chapel, and it's a really small space in there. If we try, there will be some awkward nose-to-pew moments.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 11:54:36 AM »

This is done in my parish, too, though we were given a more Russian typicon (our parish entered the Bulgarian diocese 12 years ago). I had been to an Antiochian church for Pre-Sanctified two years ago, but I can't remember if they did any prostrations outside of St. Ephrem's prayers. Those pesky pews get in the way!  Cheesy

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 05:14:27 PM »

Is it possible that the churches who were under the Ottoman Muslim yoke changed in part because of a perceived need to have as few things in common with the Muslims as possible?

More likely the Russians have come up with as many ways as possible to complicate things which need not be complicated, as they have a tendency to do. Nothing particularly wrong with that, of course, it's just not how the Greeks do things.

The Greeks are often accused by the Slavs of taking things out of the Liturgy which were never there to begin with.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »

More likely the Russians have come up with as many ways as possible to complicate things which need not be complicated, as they have a tendency to do. Nothing particularly wrong with that, of course, it's just not how the Greeks do things.

The Greeks are often accused by the Slavs of taking things out of the Liturgy which were never there to begin with.

Make that Russians - not Slavs as a whole - as Ukrainians and others often follow the older Greek customs. When the unia transformed many of them into Eastern Catholics they were called, after all - Greek Catholics - not Russian Catholics for that very reason!  Wink
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »

I think we need to see a Greek or Arabic Old World Typikon before anybody starts making generalizations. It seems unlikely that Bishop Basil would would go around following the Slavic Typikon on this 'just because'. If the prostrations are not in the Old World Typikon, akimori is right that it is at least as, if not more likely that the Russians added it than that the Greeks and Arabs removed it. On the other hand, if it's in the Old World Typikon, it's entirely possible that the practice changed in North America for the reason several people have alluded to--it's very difficult to do lots of prostrations in a sanctuary with lots of pews.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 05:41:34 PM »

That is my bishop and we do prostrations on Presanctified Liturgies, most notably during the prayer of St. Ephraim.

we did kneel at other times.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:42:42 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 05:54:48 PM »

I think we need to see a Greek or Arabic Old World Typikon before anybody starts making generalizations. It seems unlikely that Bishop Basil would would go around following the Slavic Typikon on this 'just because'. If the prostrations are not in the Old World Typikon, akimori is right that it is at least as, if not more likely that the Russians added it than that the Greeks and Arabs removed it. On the other hand, if it's in the Old World Typikon, it's entirely possible that the practice changed in North America for the reason several people have alluded to--it's very difficult to do lots of prostrations in a sanctuary with lots of pews.

Archbishop Basil Krivoshein, Archbishop of Brussels and Belgium had written a treatise on the differences between the Greek and Russian practices in 1975. I read it in the Preachers' Institute at http://preachersinstitute.com/2011/06/25/some-differences-between-greek-and-russian-divine-services-and-their-significance/. It seems that in some instances, the Russians had continued the older Greek practices while the Greeks changed theirs. So, it is not really a matter of Old Country practice versus the practice in the United States.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 06:00:41 PM »

I'm mildly annoyed that few seem to realize that besides the Greek and Russian practices, there is also, at least one more, probably less unified now but still recognizable: the tradition of the churches once part of the Habsburg/Dual Monarchy.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »

I'm mildly annoyed that few seem to realize that besides the Greek and Russian practices, there is also, at least one more, probably less unified now but still recognizable: the tradition of the churches once part of the Habsburg/Dual Monarchy.

What is something in between that two...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 06:06:50 PM »

And that tradition is familiar to folks who reside in North America and constitute most of the members of this blog?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 06:58:27 PM »

I wasn't aware they had different traditions.  Do you have a link or something, in order for me to learn more?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 07:02:57 PM »

Archbishop Basil Krivoshein, Archbishop of Brussels and Belgium had written a treatise on the differences between the Greek and Russian practices in 1975. I read it in the Preachers' Institute at http://preachersinstitute.com/2011/06/25/some-differences-between-greek-and-russian-divine-services-and-their-significance/. It seems that in some instances, the Russians had continued the older Greek practices while the Greeks changed theirs. So, it is not really a matter of Old Country practice versus the practice in the United States.

That article has plenty of errors in it. I would not regard it as authoritative.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 07:11:59 PM »

Of one thing I think we can all be safely assured on this issue. There will be no score book at the Final Judgment regarding the number, depth and style of your physical prostrations in life. There will surely be a subjective analysis of the same, but objective? I hope not.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 07:17:49 PM »

My point is that so far, we don't seem to know what the "Old Country practice" is, at least as regards the Greeks and Antiochians. We know what the practice our North American posters are familiar with is, and we know what the Russian (Slavic?) Old Country practice is. But the original question was based on the fact that Bishop Basil did not follow the 'normal' NA Antiochian practice as most of us would think of it--so was he using, for some reason, the Russian practice, or was he representing the actual Old Country Antiochian practice?

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 07:42:34 PM »

I wasn't aware they had different traditions.  Do you have a link or something, in order for me to learn more?

I'd also like to cure my ignorance!

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 07:43:34 PM »

Make that Russians - not Slavs as a whole - as Ukrainians and others often follow the older Greek customs. When the unia transformed many of them into Eastern Catholics they were called, after all - Greek Catholics - not Russian Catholics for that very reason!  Wink

Apologies for lumping you all in together like that.

I know that, as a Greek, I usually feel quite at home in a Serbian or Bulgarian parish, so shouldn't make such generalisations.

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 11:24:20 AM »

I don't think I'll be able to do prostrations in my church - we usually have the Pre-Sanctified Liturgies in the chapel, and it's a really small space in there. If we try, there will be some awkward nose-to-pew moments.  Smiley

Well, that's what you get for having pews!

Is outrage!

Wink

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: