OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 05:37:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Voluntary Muting  (Read 994 times) Average Rating: 0
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« on: February 05, 2012, 07:40:28 PM »

Quick question: can a Forum member request 'voluntary muting'?  The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of extending my Lenten fasting of my internet participation in a new way, and was wondering how I could 'switch off' my account so that I don't get into any unprofitable squabbles during a season frought with temptations.  Is this possible?

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:43:36 PM »

Quick question: can a Forum member request 'voluntary muting'?  The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of extending my Lenten fasting of my internet participation in a new way, and was wondering how I could 'switch off' my account so that I don't get into any unprofitable squabbles during a season frought with temptations.  Is this possible?

We have had posters here do a "voluntary muting" by exerting their own self control and not logging in.

If a person wants us to mute them, how does it stretch anyone's self control to not do something that they couldn't do anyway?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:01:17 PM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 07:58:39 PM »

ozgeorge used to post in his signature line "I am not posting here during Lent."  I suppose if you do that and you also logged out from the site with your browser, you would have to go through the process of logging in to post on the site so that might be a deterrent.

Or you could install web filtering software and put our website in the blocked list Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 09:34:45 PM »

Oh, I think it is helpful at times to have an extra layer of security at times.  Kind of like a seatbelt.   Grin

Quick question: can a Forum member request 'voluntary muting'?  The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of extending my Lenten fasting of my internet participation in a new way, and was wondering how I could 'switch off' my account so that I don't get into any unprofitable squabbles during a season frought with temptations.  Is this possible?

We have had posters here do a "voluntary muting" by exerting their own self control and not logging in.

If a person wants us to mute them, how does it stretch anyone's self control to not do something that they couldn't do anyway?

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:26:37 AM »

I suppose we're already planning our annual Clean Monday site blackout for 2012-02-27.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:26:56 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:00:18 PM »

I like to think of web filtering and the like as a sorta chemical castration, which I have been doing for some time.

Works wonderfully.

EDIT: The chemical castration, not the web filtering. Let's not get carried away here.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:01:01 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 06:35:02 PM »

Quick question: can a Forum member request 'voluntary muting'?  The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of extending my Lenten fasting of my internet participation in a new way, and was wondering how I could 'switch off' my account so that I don't get into any unprofitable squabbles during a season frought with temptations.  Is this possible?

I have found that just not turning on the power switch on my PC does the same thing. That one must struggle a little to resist the temptation to just peek is not a bad thing during the fast  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 10:41:11 PM »

Father,

Wouldn't being muted prevent you from seeing the many prayer requests that are made on OC.net daily?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 12:14:50 AM »

Father,

Wouldn't being muted prevent you from seeing the many prayer requests that are made on OC.net daily?
No. One who is muted can read posts on this forum but cannot write posts.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 12:28:23 AM »

My point being that if he wants to limit his time on OC.net maybe the Prayer forum is the best place to be.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 12:32:33 AM »

I think I know how one might procure a 'voluntary muting', although he would not be able to dictate the length of his muting if he attempted to obtain one.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: