OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 04:17:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Splinter OO groups  (Read 6688 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« on: September 27, 2004, 11:53:42 AM »

Are there any or many "splinter" OO groups, like ROAC, ROCiE, TOC and whatnot amongst the OO communion?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 12:13:25 PM »

Not really, although there is a breakaway Indian Church (not either of the 2 factions that everyone considers to be "real" Orthodox, but a third independent diocese in India somewhere that has existed for 200 years...Phil???)

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
JohnCassian
At Least Semi-Augustinian

St. John Cassian

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 12:35:48 PM »

Well, I have encountered this fellow:

http://www.archbishopashe.com/

He claims to be a validly consecrated Archbishop in the OO Tradition via the Malankara Church.  He's also frequently on TBN pacing the stage in a red cassock and mopping his brow as he preaches Pentecostal-style.  TBN's site actually links to his...he's a little ways down the list from MC Hammer ministries.  I think he's in his 20's.

Its always been my assumption that he's vagante...but now that I think about it, Paul Crouch did manage to get to see H.H. Pope Shenouda somehow so...is it possible that there's some group within the O.O. trying to reach out to Pentecostals/Evangelicals this way?

"Do leave off speaking of me as an ill-educated and uncouth and unfriendly man, not even worthy to live." - St. Gregory the Theologian in a Letter to St. Basil the Great
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 01:22:25 PM »

Yes, okay, I have seen that guy on TBN occasionally.  Some of the things he said weren't your everyday normal Evangelical things and I found it odd.  It sort of makes sense now.

"Sort of" being the operative term there.  I'm still fuzzy on a) who this guy is and b) what he's doing on TBN.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 05:24:22 PM »

There is a group in India called the Independent Thozhiyoor church. It is a small church of few hundred families. They keep the essential aspects of OO faith, but not part of any Synod.

-Paul
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 06:04:44 PM »

Yes, okay, I have seen that guy on TBN occasionally.  Some of the things he said weren't your everyday normal Evangelical things and I found it odd.  It sort of makes sense now.

"Sort of" being the operative term there.  I'm still fuzzy on a) who this guy is and b) what he's doing on TBN.

a) He came to Tulsa while I was at ORU and spoke at the Azuza Campmeeting (a gathering of mostly African-American Pentecostal preachers) one year.  He was a pentecostal evangelist for many years. He received the "baptism in the Holy Ghost" while he was very young, and hasn't lost familiarity with this spiritual experience (he teaches seminars on the prophetic) and continues to "move in the Spirit" (in the charismatic sense of receiving spontaneous divine guidance) even as an Orthodox bishop.

b) While my only times listening to him were done just before I became a catechumen, his style of preaching definitely makes charismatics feel comfortable (not that he does it in precisely the same manner in his OO Church) while at the same time giving what I remember as very sound theology -- which, compared to most Azuza stuff, isn't saying much, but I digress -- I think he spoke on the Incarnation and theosis, all very Orthodox, but in the style of "fiery preachin.'"  Don't really know, when all is said and done, what to make of him.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 08:55:18 PM »

Ashe is not Orthodox!  I don't know what the Pope was doing on TBN, and it doesn't concern me.  But this Ashe is not Orthodox by any means; he's vagante.

The group Anastasios was referring to is the one Paul mentions.  They're not in communion with any of us, but to my knowledge they have not deviated from the Orthodox faith.  It seems they "flirt" with Protestants now and then, however, and that is a little problematic.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 08:59:53 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Thomas Daniel (Reji)
Chevalier
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Archdiocese of Syriac Orthodox Church

Proud to say belongs to Syriac Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 02:17:46 AM »

Slomo

I agree with Paul & Phil, they are not part of any synod.

Oh.. Morth Mariam Yoldath Aloho (Mother Of God)Pray For Us
paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 10:23:04 AM »

While we discuss the splinter groups, we need to be careful that we do not judge any one. If they are truly OO in faith, they are justified by their faith. I think there should be a process to start diologue with the splinter groups, especially the OO splinter groups origintating from Bishop Rene Vilatte succession.  This also depends on how much the OO churches can guide them, which requires effort.  I know that H.G. Mar Makarios visited and had dialogue with few of these groups. I think we need the space open for those who wish to remain in the OO faith.

One of these groups is in communion with the Thozhiyoor Church and the Thozhiyoor church is in unity with the Mar Thoma Church of India.

I wish the Christians linking to Apostle Thomas remain united.

-Paul
paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 10:25:18 AM »

Dear Reji,  I have a question to you. In which Synod the Knanaya Bishop in India attends on a regular basis? My assumption is that the Knanaya Bishop is almost independent and so is the Simhasana and Evangelical Association Bishops. Please educate me if I am wrong.  There is a canon that a bishop should be part of the Synod and should regularly attend Synod meetings.

-Paul
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2004, 08:48:32 PM »

Somehow, I don't think so.  Ask the SSPX.  Smiley

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Thomas Daniel (Reji)
Chevalier
Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004, 09:04:47 AM »

Dear Reji,  I have a question to you. In which Synod the Knanaya Bishop in India attends on a regular basis? My assumption is that the Knanaya Bishop is almost independent and so is the Simhasana and Evangelical Association Bishops. Please educate me if I am wrong.  There is a canon that a bishop should be part of the Synod and should regularly attend Synod meetings.

-Paul

Dear Paul
Slomo

I don’t know if it is genuine doubt to understand the fact or finding another excuse to start the Malankara fight. Wink Anyhow as you asked precisely to me, I will answer.

Knanaya bishop attend the synod of the Universal Syriac Orthodox Church, were all Archbishops from all over the word comes, including Catholicose of India along with Simhasana and Evangelical Association Bishops (In the Universal church Malankara as whole is treated as Archdiocese of Syriac Orthodox Church)

In Malankara Synod, Knanaya bishop attends as an invitee only without any voting power.

If any dispute between Knanaya Bishop and the Knanaya Diocese, the case will be brought to the Catholicose and he will decide the matter.

I will not enter into further debate on this subject

paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2004, 03:16:16 PM »

Dear Thomas,  The aim is totally not to discuss Malankara-Damascus issues.  I want to learn why this type of model is adopted. I think this belongs to the category of dissociated bishops.  Up to about 1972 the Knanaya bishop was one of the members of the Malankara Synod, as the bishop of Knanaya Diocese.  I am trying to learn why the Knanaya bishop is now having a very different (almost independent) existence with no voting powers.

I think we should not encourage numerous divisions and splinter groups like Thozhiyoor church, and try to do averything possible to have a single Synod in India.  Kindly educate me the benefits of having different groups for the same faith.

-Paul
paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 03:21:38 PM »

Dear Thomas, I have one more question related to this, within the Syrian Orth. church (excluding Malankara), how their dioceses are divided? Do they have any bishops like Simhasana, Knanaya etc.

-Paul
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 12:37:30 PM »

Ashe is not Orthodox!  I don't know what the Pope was doing on TBN, and it doesn't concern me.  But this Ashe is not Orthodox by any means; he's vagante.

The group Anastasios was referring to is the one Paul mentions.  They're not in communion with any of us, but to my knowledge they have not deviated from the Orthodox faith.  It seems they "flirt" with Protestants now and then, however, and that is a little problematic.  

I agree 100%.  Veron Ashe is not Oriental Orthodox.  the Pope was on TBN for the same reason that Orthodox clergy appear of EWTN, to represent out pov and witness the truth of Orthodoxy.  He has written several books on Pentecostal/Charismatics heresies, such as the teaching of "salvation in a moment" and their warped understanding of who the Holy Spirit is and what He does.

There is a group in India called the Independent Thozhiyoor church. It is a small church of few hundred families. They keep the essential aspects of OO faith, but not part of any Synod.

It seems to me that they fail to keep the essential aspects of the OO Faith if they are willing to give whatever legitimacy they can to this Ashe fellow without requiring him to abandon Pentecostal/Charismatic theology, i.e. :He received the "baptism in the Holy Ghost" while he was very young, and hasn't lost familiarity with this spiritual experience (he teaches seminars on the prophetic) and continues to "move in the Spirit" (in the charismatic sense of receiving spontaneous divine guidance) even as an Orthodox bishop as Pedro has described.  There cannot be a "Charismatic Orthodox Church" remade in the image of Benny Hinn, Morris Cerullo, & co.

I wish the Christians linking to Apostle Thomas remain united.

Me too Paul, so long as they are united in the Orthodox Faith, and not solely on the basis of the St. Thomas lineage, regardless of whether they teach Protestantism, Charismatic blasphemy, or whatever else.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 04:20:10 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
jdudan54

OC.net

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2004, 01:12:39 AM »

Wink   Vernon Ashe is centered out here in California, Fresno i believe. you could probably find his church on the web.....last i saw i think he had a seminary or something similar going as part of his ministry. I think he had some vague connection to the Mar Thoma church here in the states, and used that piece to elevate his stature as "Orthodox." From there, he broke off and went on his own, and god knows where he's headed......perhaps a 'steady' on TBN......................
          Does anyone know of or is familiar with, the Mar Gregorios society here in America? Their affiliated with the Malankara church; i do know Mar Gregorios was a prolific writer for the O.O. ...............joe

NULL
Thomas Daniel (Reji)
Chevalier
Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2004, 01:42:05 AM »

Paulos Mor Gregorios Metropolitan, was a great Christian philosopher, very active in the ecumenical and inter-religious movements. He challenged humankind to think in terms of one global state in which all religions flow together.
For more informations please visit following links
http://www.paulosmargregorios.info
http://www.geocities.com/gregorianstudycircle

He was the Bishop of Indian Orthodox Church and its Delhi diocese
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 01:48:20 AM by Thomas Daniel (Reji) » Logged

Antonious Nikolas
Archon

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2004, 03:52:45 PM »

Paulos Mor Gregorios Metropolitan, was a great Christian philosopher, very active in the ecumenical and inter-religious movements. He challenged humankind to think in terms of one global state in which all religions flow together.

I am not familiar with the writings of Mar Gregorios, but I am not sure that the idea of all religions flowing together is Orthodox, or even Christian.  Please elaborate.

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
jdudan54

OC.net

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2004, 12:11:18 AM »

I don't know about the concept of 'all religions flowing together'; it may be he speaks of his Indian continent where every concievable religion on earth seems to dwell. i think Thomas may answer that better than i. I have used three of his books towards papers with favorable response. His book, 'The Cosmic Man' is , i think, a great exposure of Gregory of Nyssa in light of the western influence of Augustine, and shows the Christian world the debt it owes to the thought of Gregory. It is not 'light' reading.....but then again, reading Mar Gregorios presumes one has moved from 'milk' to meat.  No offense you 'vegans' out there! I think a sound intro into Mar Gregorios is his work, 'The Church and Authority.'          ..............................peace, joe

NULL
Sean

Faith: Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2004, 05:44:51 PM »

My godfather is a priestmonk in the Ethiopian Church, and he told me that the Ethiopians are separated into three groups. The group to which he belongs is called by some the "Haile Selassie Church," (not to be confused w/ Rastfarianism) which is headed by Abuna Yesehaq, who has been the main Ethiopian Orthodox hierarch in North America for decades now. They recently broke communion with the Patriarchate for pretty much the same reasons the White Russians broke communion with the Moscow Patriarchate. What makes this division even more interesting is that Abuna Yeshaq and Patriarch Paulus of Ethiopia are first cousins.

THE CRUX OF THE BISCUIT IS THE APOSTROPHE.
SaintShenouti

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004, 11:32:15 AM »

All these splinters in the Body are the source of grief for many in the church.  What ever happened to unity under the leadership of one's beloved patriarch and the God-fearing bishops of one's church?  Personally, I haven't heard of Abba Shenouda being on TBN, and I would hardly conceive TBN as being a dignified channel to represent the pope.  I concur with Brother Nikolas, our Abba has written much against their heretical "instant salvation" standpoint.

By the way, I was reading in an English version of "El-Keraza" Coptic news magazine (an older edition), and I saw awesome photos of Abba Shenouda with Patriarch Alexei of Moscow.  I just thought it was a neat picture- the Egyptian and the Russian patriarchs.  I'm a big fan of the Russian church, and admire their glorious liturgy, particularly the part of the Great Ektenia in the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom.
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2004, 07:36:13 PM »

Shenouti,

I have personally seen His Holiness Pope Shenouda on tbn, but both times I saw him it was merely as interviews and another time Mr. Crouch from tbn gave His Holiness a tour of their studios and gave His Holiness some cheezy gifts, including a statue of flying doves and a pen!  Shocked WOW! Roll Eyes

In Christ,
Aaron
SaintShenouti

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2004, 08:29:54 PM »

Heheh, how thoughtful.
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2004, 09:32:17 PM »

Wink   Vernon Ashe is centered out here in California, Fresno i believe. you could probably find his church on the web....

http://www.archbishopashe.com/qanda.html#q1

Vernon Ashe is AKA Mar Enoch.

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2004, 11:03:40 PM »

Heheh, how thoughtful.

My sentiments exactly!  Cheesy
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2004, 09:12:29 PM »

and continues to "move in the Spirit" (in the charismatic sense of receiving spontaneous divine guidance) even as an Orthodox bishop.

Interesting, are they similar to Bowel Movements?

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Antonious Nikolas
Archon

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2004, 10:53:14 AM »

Interesting, are they similar to Bowel Movements?

LOL!  They are the precise spiritual equivalent!

joe77

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2005, 12:00:14 PM »

If any dispute between Knanaya Bishop and the Knanaya Diocese, the case will be brought to the Catholicose and he will decide the matter.

I will not enter into further debate on this subject

Dear Reji this is not for a dispute but can  i ask some questions about  what you siad here
Did you mean a dispute between  members of Knanaya diocese and their bishop will be brought to the Catholicose and he will decide the matter or did you mean issues between Knanaya diocese and rest of SOC  diocese in India

If you menat the first part i dont think thats right  as far as i am aware even though Knanaites accept and respect HB he dont interfire in interanal matters of Knanaya diocese it will normaly be brought to Patirach HH  Mor ignatius Zaka 1 he will decide for example after the departure of Mor Clemis the late Cheif Metropolitan of east  there where some troubles in Knanaya Diocese this was acthualy brought to HH not HB.And in the intial years of second split in malankara in 1972  when  Mor Clemis tryed to stay with Augun 1  for very short  period at that time Knanaya association requested to HH for a clear clrification of Mor Clemis position  but as Mor Clemis soon realised it he never showed any more passion to Augan 1 didnt actualy needed any action from HH
                                    But i must admit Knannaites  do give a  great position for HB as spiritual leader of Malankra in which Knanaites is part.

NULL
joe77

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2005, 12:31:49 PM »

ÃƒÆ’‚ I want to learn why this type of model is adopted. I think this belongs to the category of dissociated bishops.  Up to about 1972 the Knanaya bishop was one of the members of the Malankara Synod, as the bishop of Knanaya Diocese.  I am trying to learn why the Knanaya bishop is now having a very different (almost independent) existence with no voting powers.
-Paul

Dear Paul  Knanaya Bishop's stay out is not because of dissociation .you are right Knanaya Bishop was  a memeber of Malankara Synod till 1972 the reason for step out is for the intrest of Knanaya Diocese; Knanaites didnt want to be the part of Malankara court case but they been draged to it but by the grace of God our church didnt struggle.Before the union Knanaya Bishop even held the postion of malankara metropolitan at once but after union in Malankara synod knanaya diocese asked for some explanation about their postion there was a commattie appointed to study about this issue but before any decision took place the church spilted again .Knanaites decided to stay separate to avoid anymore trouble as Kottayam Catholicose allready claimed  for Knanaya Diocese we didnt want give same chance for SOC if anyhting gose wrong in the future.
                       And if you ever studied about Knanaites they allways kept a seperate identity.Till early 20th century malankara church wasnt divided according to geographical diocese and Knanites accepted Malankara bishop as their Bishop too.But when they smelled the new Diocese concept they didnt want seperate they stayed togther as  an association this eventualy formed Knanaya Diocese.Knaaite where allways strong strong followers of Patriarch so they wanted a seperate Diocese and bishop to avoid the strom which hitted and splited malankara church.When HH Mor Elias 3rd the great Patriach of Antioch visited Kerala to bring peace Knanaites requested him to approve Knanaites intrest to stay under direct authority of HH(so that they can avoid any split or trouble which may arise in malankara church inthe future).So but hill bull Knanaites gained a seperate postion which garanted their dioces will never be headed by a non Knanaites and whatever happens in Malnakra they been garanted to be under HH.And we are glad our fore fathers took that wise decision.
                It has nothing to do with disagreement I am sure Knanaites will only be happy to be part of malankara church, member of synod ,and association as long as they can keep their autonmy and garantte that their church will not splited .

NULL
Tags: vagante schism Indian Orthodox Syriac Orthodox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: