OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 07:50:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lenten triodion?  (Read 836 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: August 08, 2011, 07:50:29 PM »

What is the "Lenten Triodion"?

It is sold in my parish bookstore.  What would a laymen do with it?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 07:57:10 PM »

"The Lenten Triodion is the service book of the Orthodox Church that provides the texts for the divine services for the pre-Lenten weeks of preparation, Great Lent, and Holy Week. The Lenten Triodion is the title of a classic and popular English book translated with an extensive and helpful introduction by Metropolitan Kallistos and Mother Mary; it provides many (but not all) of the texts necessary to observe the great fast. In Greek and Slavonic it is simply called the triodion. It is called the triodion because the canons appointed for Matins during this period are composed of three odes each."

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Lenten_Triodion

I presume it would be useful if a layman were to hold reader's services at home--he would have service texts that could be adapted for use without a priest, at least in some cases. It would also be useful for chanters, choir members, and other laymen involved in liturgical chanting.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 08:03:03 PM »

I have a copy, and it came in handy this past Lent.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 08:06:30 PM »

"The Lenten Triodion is the service book of the Orthodox Church that provides the texts for the divine services for the pre-Lenten weeks of preparation, Great Lent, and Holy Week. The Lenten Triodion is the title of a classic and popular English book translated with an extensive and helpful introduction by Metropolitan Kallistos and Mother Mary; it provides many (but not all) of the texts necessary to observe the great fast. In Greek and Slavonic it is simply called the triodion. It is called the triodion because the canons appointed for Matins during this period are composed of three odes each."

I presume it would be useful if a layman were to hold reader's services at home--he would have service texts that could be adapted for use without a priest, at least in some cases. It would also be useful for chanters, choir members, and other laymen involved in liturgical chanting.
I see.  As a new reader, I may just have to pick that one up.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 08:14:15 PM »

I have a copy too. I like to read the Sixth Hour during Lent, because there are special Old Testament readings for each day.

The Triodion is also helpful as a devotional book, I think. It's nice to have the full service texts at home so you can meditate on them—they're exceedingly rich, as we all know!

(Having a festal menaion is nice too, for the same reasons.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:14:48 PM by bogdan » Logged
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 09:58:12 AM »

The Triodion is useful not only as a service book, but also as a reference. A great deal of the Theology of the Church is contained in these hymns.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 12:14:58 AM »

Came upon this old thread, and am bumping it because it will soon reach its annual relevance.  Cheesy

The triodion is the book that has the specifics of the services of the day throughout Lent.  It would be extremely profitable to read ahead prior to services so you can be better prepared for them, to read it to see what's in the services you may have missed/that your parish may not do, and to read it to get a sense of what's going on throughout Lent. 

The essays by Metropolitan Kallistos are good, too.  Wink

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 12:19:24 AM »

Came upon this old thread, and am bumping it because it will soon reach its annual relevance.  Cheesy

The triodion is the book that has the specifics of the services of the day throughout Lent.  It would be extremely profitable to read ahead prior to services so you can be better prepared for them, to read it to see what's in the services you may have missed/that your parish may not do, and to read it to get a sense of what's going on throughout Lent. 

Going to be "that guy", huh ?

Smiley   I am going to be picking it up (it's still in the bookstore!!!).  As an altar boy, it will be nice to understand the service more.

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 01:24:02 AM »

I see.  As a new reader, I may just have to pick that one up.

I would strongly encourage you to read the entire preface to the Lenten Triodion which covers any number of themes from what is true fasting, the themes of the individual days and commemorations as well as structures of the various services (especially useful for someone who is a new reader).  In fact, Bishop JOSEPH of the Antiochian Diocese of the West mandates for all his priests, deacons and chanters and readers to read this as preparation for the Great Fast.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 01:49:08 AM »

Going to be "that guy", huh ?

Smiley   I am going to be picking it up (it's still in the bookstore!!!).  As an altar boy, it will be nice to understand the service more.

I bumped this for the whole board.  But if it gets you to finally buy one, all the better.  Cheesy Cheesy

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 05:55:39 AM »

What is the "Lenten Triodion"?

It is sold in my parish bookstore.  What would a laymen do with it?

The most beautifil liturgical book the Church possesses.

Get the translation of Bishop Kallistos and Mother Mary.  It contains the first week of the Great Fast, the Sundays of the Fast, the whole of the last week (Holy Week) and a few other major days in the Fast.

Reading it will work wonders in your spiritual life.  Compunction and beauty and good solid theology will flood into your soul.  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:57:34 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: