Author Topic: Blessings of the throats  (Read 3070 times)

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
Blessings of the throats
« on: February 03, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »
I had the blessings of the throat today for St. Blaise's Day, and it got me wondering, are there other parts that are blessed on other days like this? Feet, hands, etc?

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Re: Blessings of the throats
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:29:03 AM »
You had what?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:18:28 AM »
You had what?
I thought this was a generally Catholic practice, but St. Blaise is associated with throats (after healing a child who had a bone stuck in his throat), and it is common to bless throats on his feast day.

A bit of trivia, St. Blaise was Armenian.

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:32:47 AM »
This wont seem near as funny to you guys since you werent there, but my band was working at a presbyterian church in cleveland ohio.  It was for some youth event.  After one of the night sessions, a small group leader (who was a little on the creepy side) said he wanted to pray with before we went to our hotel.  We said sure.  So he and his group began to pray for us.  It lasted probably 20 min.  After about 15 min, he pulls out a little bottle of oil and rubs some on my throat, then in a really strange sensual manner, rubbed it down my chest too.  I began laughing hysterically under my breath, mainly because I had no idea what was happening. The laughter immediately spread to everyone else, but we somehow managed to somewhat contain it until he was done. This wasnt a priest doing this.  It was some 20 year old kid helping out with the youth for the weekend.  He then continued to the other band members and anointed their faces, feet, hands, etc.  It was really strange and unexpected.

Again, I guess you had to be there. I just love to share the story and since you mentioned anointing the throat, it reminded me of my experience.  I would maybe expect something like this at a Catholic or Orthodox church, but not at a presbyterian rock n roll youth event!
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 03:09:14 PM »
You had what?
I thought this was a generally Catholic practice, but St. Blaise is associated with throats (after healing a child who had a bone stuck in his throat), and it is common to bless throats on his feast day.

He's amazing.  He was one of those hermit fathers who lived in peace with the wild animals, and even healed them when they were sick.  I think his feast day in January comes the day before the feast day of St. Anthony the Great.

http://lusamut.net/սեբաստիայի-սուրբ-վլաս-եպիսկոպոսը/

I wish there was something in English about him.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 03:10:32 PM by Salpy »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 03:10:17 PM »
I like St. Blaise.  :angel:
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 03:11:05 PM »
You had what?

He's amazing.  He was one of those hermit fathers who lived in peace with the wild animals, and even healed them when they were sick.  I think his feast day in January comes the day before the feast day of St. Anthony the Great.

http://lusamut.net/սեբաստիայի-սուրբ-վլաս-եպիսկոպոսը/

I wish there was something in English about him.

The link won't work.   ???

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 01:49:44 PM »
This wont seem near as funny to you guys since you werent there, but my band was working at a presbyterian church in cleveland ohio.  It was for some youth event.  After one of the night sessions, a small group leader (who was a little on the creepy side) said he wanted to pray with before we went to our hotel.  We said sure.  So he and his group began to pray for us.  It lasted probably 20 min.  After about 15 min, he pulls out a little bottle of oil and rubs some on my throat, then in a really strange sensual manner, rubbed it down my chest too.  I began laughing hysterically under my breath, mainly because I had no idea what was happening. The laughter immediately spread to everyone else, but we somehow managed to somewhat contain it until he was done. This wasnt a priest doing this.  It was some 20 year old kid helping out with the youth for the weekend.  He then continued to the other band members and anointed their faces, feet, hands, etc.  It was really strange and unexpected.

Again, I guess you had to be there. I just love to share the story and since you mentioned anointing the throat, it reminded me of my experience.  I would maybe expect something like this at a Catholic or Orthodox church, but not at a presbyterian rock n roll youth event!

You'll want to talk with your priest about this for sure.   In the Canon of the Holy Apostles and I'm sure many Orthodox would agree, he was performing a "pseudo sacrament" of unction, which would be very heretical to Orthodox teaching.
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 02:13:37 PM »

You'll want to talk with your priest about this for sure.   In the Canon of the Holy Apostles and I'm sure many Orthodox would agree, he was performing a "pseudo sacrament" of unction, which would be very heretical to Orthodox teaching.
http://www.stgregoryoc.org/st-blaise-bishop-martyr/So, still say that hmm?

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 02:17:59 PM »
..he pulls out a little bottle of oil and rubs some on my throat, then in a really strange sensual manner, rubbed it down my chest too.  I began laughing hysterically...

Woh there cowboy! What exactly was going on here!?  :D ;D :police:
"We are all human beans. What is left now is for each of us to grow to our full potential in Christ." - Abba Hezekiah

Offline Monk Vasyl

• High Elder
    • Web site of our parish, St. Andrew UOCof USA
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 02:18:31 PM »
The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 02:45:13 PM »

Oh boy.  In my experience, when unknown persons want to pray with you, there is a >90% chance you are in for weird theatrics, especially at rock and roll youth events. 

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 04:22:21 PM »

Huh? Before your cast anathemas and declare heresy, especially you have professed your own separation from the True Faith, you ought to explain please, the distinction between the actions attributed to St. Blaise and those of our Presbyters anointing the faithful with the Holy Oil exuded by St. Nectarios at the services which have become popular in most of our Orthodox jurisdictions these past ten years or so in America or the anointing with the Holy Oil exuded by streaming Icons?

Interestingly enough, I came across this prayer from a very 'old time Latin' site regarding St. Blaise, a fourth century Bishop in modern-day Armenia:  from http://wdtprs.com/blog/2010/02/3-feb-st-blaise-and-the-blessing-of-candles-and-of-throats-2/

Per intercessionem Sancti Blasii, episcopi et martyris,
liberet te Deus a malo gutturis, et a quolibet alio malo.
In nomine Patris, et Filii +, et Spiritus Sancti.  Amen.

Through the intercession of St. Blaise, bishop and martyr,
may God free you from illness of the throat and from any other sort of ill.
In the name of the Father, and of the Son + and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.

Hmm, a pre-schism Saint recognized by east and west and a prayer which is thoroughly Orthodox in its orientation.

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 04:27:26 PM »

Huh? Before your cast anathemas and declare heresy, especially you have professed your own separation from the True Faith, you ought to explain please, the distinction between the actions attributed to St. Blaise and those of our Presbyters anointing the faithful with the Holy Oil exuded by St. Nectarios at the services which have become popular in most of our Orthodox jurisdictions these past ten years or so in America or the anointing with the Holy Oil exuded by streaming Icons?

Interestingly enough, I came across this prayer from a very 'old time Latin' site regarding St. Blaise, a fourth century Bishop in modern-day Armenia:  from http://wdtprs.com/blog/2010/02/3-feb-st-blaise-and-the-blessing-of-candles-and-of-throats-2/

Per intercessionem Sancti Blasii, episcopi et martyris,
liberet te Deus a malo gutturis, et a quolibet alio malo.
In nomine Patris, et Filii +, et Spiritus Sancti.  Amen.

Hmm, a pre-schism Saint recognized by east and west and a prayer which is thoroughly Orthodox in its orientation.

You are right. We Orthodox bless cats, dogs, cattle, fruit trees, turnip greens boats, closets, bathrooms, etc.. Why not the throat?

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 04:27:59 PM »

This is the prayer I always heard when we got our throats blessed during my formative years.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 04:37:37 PM »

In the name of the Father, and of the Son + and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.

This is the prayer I always heard when we got our throats blessed during my formative years.

and about the same as the one used at the St. Nectarios services for those seeking physical healing.

One of our neighbors was the priest at the old Lithuanian RC Church, long since consolidated. His aunt by marriage was our parishioner. Every year after house blessing my dad would inevitably lose his voice following the Christmas cycle and Theophany. His friend, Fr. J., would stop by with Holy Oil, say this prayer and bless my dad's throat. I can only remember one Pascha when my dad would be unable to sing during the fifty or so years of his ministry which I can recall. Just saying...I am not crediting the prayers of his RC brother, but I will always have disdain for those snidely would call him a heretic or that his prayers were insincere and unheeded.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 04:38:16 PM by podkarpatska »

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 12:11:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  Honestly, we sort of just brushed it off.  We assumed he had the best of intentions, but really had no idea what he was doing.  It has made a good story for us to share with friends, and its something we still laugh about together. 

Now, to clarify I dont think there is anything funny or weird about a priest using oil appropriately.  I guess you had to be there, but the environment and the creepiness of this particular guy made it so bizarre and uncomfortable.  And funny...

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »
..he pulls out a little bottle of oil and rubs some on my throat, then in a really strange sensual manner, rubbed it down my chest too.  I began laughing hysterically...

Woh there cowboy! What exactly was going on here!?  :D ;D :police:

oh wow.... haha. Its like its an excerpt from some weird romance novel...

Lets keep that in context!

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Monk Vasyl

• High Elder
    • Web site of our parish, St. Andrew UOCof USA
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 12:31:42 PM »
In all the years I was RC, our parish school would take time out of our classes to go to church and have our throats blessed, never once did I have any problems with my throat...not even a sore throat.
The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl