OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 04:26:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Salvation, doing stuff, following, being saved...  (Read 311 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: February 03, 2012, 12:46:45 AM »

Some Protestant people say that we don't need to do anything to be saved. In a recent conversation, a Protestant/non-denominational I know said that she wonders how well she follows Christ (because she is between churches, sort of), and noted that James says even the demons believe. Isn't following doing? How then are we saved? What is the Orthodox answer? (Church Father comments appreciated.)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:47:28 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 03:06:16 AM »

Some Protestant people say that we don't need to do anything to be saved. In a recent conversation, a Protestant/non-denominational I know said that she wonders how well she follows Christ (because she is between churches, sort of), and noted that James says even the demons believe. Isn't following doing? How then are we saved? What is the Orthodox answer? (Church Father comments appreciated.)

To follow, you must move.  If you do not act, you can't possibly follow anyone.  St. James says that even the demons believe, and he also says that faith without works is dead.  If you have no works to show for your faith, you never really believed.  You may have had an intellectual assent to the idea that God exists, to the idea that He came to Earth and became Man; but this is what the demons had before any of us were born, yet they have still set themselves against God.  If you truly believe - that is, if you have turned yourself towards God - you cannot help but act on that.  God is love and love is action.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 05:01:23 AM »

Those who followed Christ were secure and "saved" as long as they followed Him. But they had no security and no salvation when they turned away. Just as the prodigal son was lost when he left his father's home and wallowed in the sins of the world, but he was secure and "saved" when he returned and remained with his father. St. Peter followed Christ and professed undying faith in Him, then he turned away and forsook Our Lord, but ultimately he repented and followed Christ to his death on an upside down cross. As St. James writes, "Faith without works is dead," so we see that authentic belief in Christ means actively following Him and continually receiving Him in and through the sacramental life of His Church.

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: