OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 09:27:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Thomas Aquinas-the filioque  (Read 1927 times) Average Rating: 0
vasily

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox church in america

« on: February 02, 2012, 12:53:01 PM »

I have read some of St. Thomas's Summa Theologica, and I am confused. Question: In his writings does he support the filioque addition?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »

Why wouldn't he?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 01:38:47 PM »

I have read some of St. Thomas's Summa Theologica, and I am confused. Question: In his writings does he support the filioque addition?

Thomas Aquinas was one of several theologians who did not accept the concept of the Immaculate Conception, as it was not considered to be Catholic dogma then.

However, since he was born after the Great Schism (1054 A.D.) and the filioque was one of the main reasons for the schism between Catholics and Orthodoxy, yes, he supported the doctrine of the filioque. Nevertheless, he was on his way to the Council of Florence to help "solve" the schism when he died.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:45:37 PM »

Quote from: Maria
Nevertheless, he was on his way to the Council of Florence to help "solve" the schism when he died.

Now I'm sad.  Cry Cry

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 01:50:14 PM »

Nevertheless, he was on his way to the Council of Florence to help "solve" the schism when he died.

Now I'm sad.  Cry Cry

i doubt much would have come of it either way...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 01:52:40 PM »

Now I'm sad.  Cry Cry

Still, I can dream.  Wink

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 02:45:09 PM »

Now I'm sad.  Cry Cry

Still, I can dream.  Wink

Who knows?

Perhaps he would have joined the Orthodox Church?
In fact, the Dominicans, to which St. Thomas Aquinas belonged, did send two groups of Dominican friars to the East to help "solve" the schism: one to Constantinople, and the other to Georgia. Both priories converted to Orthodoxy. The ones in Georgia were known as the white monks as they did not have the funds to buy expensive black monastic robes. St. Seraphim of Sarov adopted the white habit and the Rosary devotion from these ex-Dominicans.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:46:42 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 04:17:28 PM »

Summa Theologica: First part. Question 36, article 2: Whether the Holy Ghost proceeds from the Son?
"...Hence also the Greeks themselves recognize that the procession of the Holy Ghost has some order to the Son. For they grant that the Holy Ghost is the Spirit "of the Son"; and that He is from the Father "through the Son." Some of them are said also to concede that "He is from the Son"; or that "He flows from the Son," but not that He proceeds..."
Thomas's exposition has to some extent been superceded by a recent document.
http://www.scoba.us/resources/orthodox-catholic/2003filioque.html
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 04:30:36 PM »

Thomas Aquinas was one of several theologians who did not accept the concept of the Immaculate Conception, as it was not considered to be Catholic dogma then.

However, since he was born after the Great Schism (1054 A.D.) and the filioque was one of the main reasons for the schism between Catholics and Orthodoxy, yes, he supported the doctrine of the filioque. Nevertheless, he was on his way to the Council of Florence to help "solve" the schism when he died.

Surely you mean the 2nd Council of Lyons (1272-1274), not the Council of Florence.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »

Surely you mean the 2nd Council of Lyons (1272-1274), not the Council of Florence.

Yes, you are correct as he was born in 1225 and died on 7 March 1274.
Thank you.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 03:45:46 PM »

Now I'm sad.  Cry Cry

Who knows?

In fact, the Dominicans, to which St. Thomas Aquinas belonged, did send two groups of Dominican friars to the East to help "solve" the schism: one to Constantinople, and the other to Georgia. Both priories converted to Orthodoxy. The ones in Georgia were known as the white monks as they did not have the funds to buy expensive black monastic robes. St. Seraphim of Sarov adopted the white habit and the Rosary devotion from these ex-Dominicans.

Cool.  Is there a source for this?

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 04:02:13 PM »

Now I'm sad.  Cry Cry

Who knows?

bummer

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »

Now I'm sad.  Cry Cry

Who knows?

Cool.  Is there a source for this?

Three of my Dominican professors at a Catholic university that I attended mentioned this defection. It is part of the Dominican history that they studied while undergoing the Dominican novitiate at St. Albert's Priory in Berkeley, California. Unfortunately, I did not have access to their novitiate texts. The fact that St. Seraphim of Sarov personally adopted not only the white monastic garb but also gave his nuns a form of the Dominican Rosary speaks volumes.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:18:55 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 05:01:12 PM »

Now I'm sad.  Cry Cry

Who knows?

Three of my Dominican professors at a Catholic university that I attended mentioned this defection. It is part of the Dominican history that they studied while undergoing the Dominican novitiate at St. Albert's Priory in Berkeley, California. Unfortunately, I did not have access to their novitiate texts. The fact that St. Seraphim of Sarov personally adopted not only the white monastic garb but also gave his nuns a form of the Dominican Rosary speaks volumes.

Yes...like that they really were secret Dominicans!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Just kidding!!!!  Couldn't resist it--it's Friday, and I'm gettin' punchy  Grin.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »

The Secret Dominicans is a good name for a band.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 05:06:12 PM »

Now I'm sad.  Cry Cry

Who knows?

Yes...like that they really were secret Dominicans!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Just kidding!!!!  Couldn't resist it--it's Friday, and I'm gettin' punchy  Grin.

Obviously, St. Seraphim saw the good and acknowledged it.
Pope John-Paul II mentioned St. Seraphim and St. Dominic in his book Threshold of Hope (I think it was called).
Both emitted the Holy Light of Christ from their foreheads, a foretaste of our own glorification at the Final Resurrection.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:07:12 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 05:06:27 PM »

Illuminati

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 05:07:20 PM »

What type of music do they play--Russian Reggae?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 05:07:43 PM »

Illuminati

laugh laugh laugh laugh

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 05:08:10 PM »

Illuminati

Illumined

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 05:09:33 PM »

Now I'm sad.  Cry Cry

Who knows?

Yes...like that they really were secret Dominicans!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Just kidding!!!!  Couldn't resist it--it's Friday, and I'm gettin' punchy  Grin.

Obviously, St. Seraphim saw the good and acknowledged it.
Pope John-Paul II mentioned St. Seraphim and St. Dominic in his book Threshold of Hope (I think it was called).
Both emitted the Holy Light of Christ from their foreheads, a foretaste of our own glorification at the Final Resurrection.

3 of my most favorite saints, by the way.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »

Now I'm sad.  Cry Cry

Who knows?

Cue a post from Stashko denouncing St. Seraphim for being a crypto-Papist.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 05:14:13 PM »

Now I'm sad.  Cry Cry

Who knows?

One can only hope.  Grin

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 05:16:31 PM »

Now I'm sad.  Cry Cry

Who knows?

Be careful what you wish for  Grin Grin!

Besides, when did Papist become crypto  Grin?

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 05:23:09 PM »

Now I'm sad.  Cry Cry

Who knows?

Oh, I'm not. Everybody knows how I feel about pretty much everything at this point.  Cheesy

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 05:28:42 PM »

Now I'm sad.  Cry Cry

Who knows?

Oh, I'm not. Everybody knows how I feel about pretty much everything at this point.  Cheesy

Phew!!  Had me worried for a nano-second  Cheesy!

MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 07:12:57 PM »

Thanks.  Doesn't really surprise me - there's a lot of vignettes like this in medieval/early modern history, especially in Eastern Europe, which are undiscovered or which are known only to a small group of historians. 

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: