OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 01:45:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: May be attending my first Vespers service this weekend  (Read 1040 times) Average Rating: 0
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« on: February 01, 2012, 07:58:04 PM »

Just now, my mother asked me to find out what times does St Nick's Orthodox Church (in Jamaica, NY) have Vespers this Saturday. I told her 5PM. She may be taking me there and attending the service with me.

What should I expect? Anything I need to do. It's gonna be my first actual visit to an Orthodox Church.

- GTA (Jade)

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:46:04 PM »

What to expect depends on the tradition followed, the language used, the size of the church, whether the choir sound like angels or dying cats, etc. Vespers consists mainly of singing, not much 'happens'. The priest/deacon will cense the church near the beginning of the service, then there's a small procession about half way through. Other than that it will be Psalm verses interspersed with resurrection hymns - this Saturday evening will be Tone 1. You can find the text here.

There's nothing you need to do. Just pray.

Hope it will be a blessed experience for you both!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 08:47:21 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Ava

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 12:12:09 AM »

I just attended my first Vespers this week.  I loved it. I hope you will too angel
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:08:54 AM »

About 30 minutes of service.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 11:41:23 AM »

I would just take it all in.  I had no idea what was going on my first vespers service.  People gave me a book to follow along in, but it wasnt really any help because I never knew what tone we were on. Ha! And half of it was in greek, and I only know about 4 words of greek...

As someone pointed out, this Saturday is tone 1.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »

I suggest you take it in and go in expecting nothing.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »

If you are referring to St Nicholas Albanian Orthodox Church in Jamaica Estates, the service may be conducted in English and Albanian. It would be a very good thing if you could follow along but you may wish to first just experience the service before delving more into it. Basically, Saturday Vespers is the first service of Sunday, which culminates in Divine Liturgy Sunday morning. I am enclosing some links to familiarize yourself with the Vespers service, but I must tell you that I sometimes feel privileged to be participating in a service that had its beginnings centuries ago--one that our Lord and his disciples participated in.

Excerpt from Father Hopko's excellent series on Orthodoxy. This one is short and sweet and a great introduction. http://oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith/worship/the-sacraments/vespers

Orthodox Wiki article. This is somewhat overwhelming in its details and I recommend you skip down to the "Theological Meaning of Vespers" section. http://orthodoxwiki.org/Vespers

A personal take on Vespers and worhship from the Blog ProtoEvangel. This one gives you a sense of what the worshipper does and experiences. http://protoevangel.blogspot.com/2007/01/couple-of-days-ago-i-asked-friend-to.html

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 01:55:04 PM »

I hope you enjoy it.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
GTAsoldier
Elder

GTAsoldier
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 02:10:11 PM »

If you are referring to St Nicholas Albanian Orthodox Church in Jamaica Estates, the service may be conducted in English and Albanian. It would be a very good thing if you could follow along but you may wish to first just experience the service before delving more into it. Basically, Saturday Vespers is the first service of Sunday, which culminates in Divine Liturgy Sunday morning. I am enclosing some links to familiarize yourself with the Vespers service, but I must tell you that I sometimes feel privileged to be participating in a service that had its beginnings centuries ago--one that our Lord and his disciples participated in.

Excerpt from Father Hopko's excellent series on Orthodoxy. This one is short and sweet and a great introduction. http://oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith/worship/the-sacraments/vespers

Orthodox Wiki article. This is somewhat overwhelming in its details and I recommend you skip down to the "Theological Meaning of Vespers" section. http://orthodoxwiki.org/Vespers

A personal take on Vespers and worhship from the Blog ProtoEvangel. This one gives you a sense of what the worshipper does and experiences. http://protoevangel.blogspot.com/2007/01/couple-of-days-ago-i-asked-friend-to.html

Yep, that's the one. Smiley

I'll read the links soon. Thanks.

- Jade

the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
GTAsoldier
Elder

GTAsoldier
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 06:18:57 PM »

Hi all,

Good news: I saw the church building in front of my eyes.
Bad news: No Vespers. Sad According their church bulletin, Vespers is on every Saturday at 5PM. The doors were locked at 5pm and after. We waited for a while and then We left.

I was slightly disappointed and mother went on a bit of tirade on church service scheduling. Although she was looking forward to the Vespers.

- Jade

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 06:41:25 PM »

Maybe another time.  Smiley

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 01:20:17 PM »

oh dear!
this happened to me, too, once.
i asked on this website and apparently people should telephone first to check that it is on, as in some cultures, things get rescheduled and people are only informed by word of mouth.

in my previous church, there would always be people hanging out in the church building on a saturday, so even if it was rescheduled, there would be someone to have a cup of tea with. in my current church there are less people that go to vespers, so it is sometimes rescheduled. i am working on increasing the communication, but it takes time...

may God console u and don't give up.

and welcome, ava, stay close to God too.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 05:45:24 PM »

Sorry. Vespers is my favorite service, although I don't get to go much. It's a shame you weren't able to attend.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »

Jade, I typed in the zipcode for St. Nicholas Albanian Orthodox Church in Jamica Estates on the Orthodoxy in America website and came up with quite a few parishes around that area. If St. Nicholas' isn't as active as other churches in your area perhaps the distance wouldn't be too much further from ones that are. The others were St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, St. Andrew Parish Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA, Russian Orthodox Church of the Assumption (ROCOR), and Three Hierarchs Church (OCA).

http://orthodoxyinamerica.org/lr_v10/locator.php

I hope you get to attend a service very soon.  Smiley

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
GTAsoldier
Elder

GTAsoldier
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 06:51:41 PM »

Thank you Smiley

GTAsoldier
Elder

GTAsoldier
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 05:47:54 PM »

Hey everyone,

I'm happy to say that I just attended my very first Vespers at St. Nick's church in Jamaica, NY. It was great. My parents and I were the only ones there and the priest was conducting the service and singing the hymns by himself.

Good experience. I hope to attend a divine liturgy someday. Smiley

- Jade
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 05:48:13 PM by GTAsoldier » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 09:56:23 PM »

Hey everyone,

I'm happy to say that I just attended my very first Vespers at St. Nick's church in Jamaica, NY. It was great. My parents and I were the only ones there and the priest was conducting the service and singing the hymns by himself.

Good experience. I hope to attend a divine liturgy someday. Smiley

- Jade

Glad you liked it.  angel

age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 10:30:47 PM »

Wonderful!

My parish sometimes cancels Vespers unannounced. It's frustrating but I'm glad you were able to go this weekend and enjoy it (despite the low attendance)!
Thankful
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 01:21:37 AM »

Glad you enjoyed it! I, too, hope you can go to a Liturgy soon.  The first time we went to a vespers service, the only other people there were two readers (it was a mission church so no priest for that service).  Another older gal came in halfway through the service.  That actually really spoke to me -- if the readers had been the only ones there, they'd still have done the service because that's what the church does.  It showed me that Orthodoxy is bigger/deeper/stronger than the individuals and personalities in the room (I came from a very evangelical background; no liturgy whatsoever).  
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 01:22:07 AM by Thankful » Logged

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 11:36:58 PM »

Thats about how my first vespers was too.  No one there.  Very awkward!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tags: vespers  inquirer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: