OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 02:37:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saints and animals  (Read 1622 times) Average Rating: 0
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: February 01, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »

I've always been drawn to Roman Catholic saints who had some sort of connection with animals.  Roman Catholic devotion to St. Francis, of course, is very popular.  But, I always liked the story of Don Bosco's dog, the big gray mastiff dog who showed up to save him from being harmed by robbers.  Then, there's a legend of a lion who became devoted to St. Jerome.    And,  the legend that Roman Catholic saint Rocco (or Svetyj Rok) who, while dying from the plague after tending to sick people, had a dog come and bring him food.   

I feel very blessed to have my Great Pyrenees dog who has protected both me and my mother on several occasions.  As I move to Orthodoxy, I would like to reflect on the Orthodox saints that had a special connection with animals, but I don't know who they are. 
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:48:36 PM »

Those are interesting stories!

For Orthodoxy

St. Seraphim of Sarov

One day a nun from the nearby convent of Diveyevo, coming to visit St. Seraphim at his hermitage in the woods near Sarov, found the old monk being visited by a bear. Terrified, the nun let out a scream. The staretz responded by patting the bear and sending it away, but when the nun came to sit beside the elder, the bear returned and lay down by Seraphim’s feet. “I was as terrified as before,” the nun later recorded, “but when I saw Father Seraphim, quite unconcerned, treating the bear like a lamb, stroking him and giving him bread, I calmed down.” Her fear left her entirely.

I know there are more Saints with stories involving animals, but St. Seraphim is the first off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:49:36 PM by Manalive » Logged

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 12:56:20 PM »

I don't know about special connection but prophet Elijah was fed by ravens.

Adela
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 02:30:24 PM »

Great!  These are very beautiful icons that you both so kindly shared....  angel   I will look up more about St. Seraphim of Sarov and the prophet Elijah....   I see that an earlier thread also mentioned St. Modestos, Patriarch of Jerusalem.  This is a very good start.....

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 02:39:07 PM »

St. Gerasimos befriended a lion.
elephant
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 03:23:34 PM »

Dear Adela,

this may be on another thread, but there is a nice book:

Animals & Man: A State of Blessedness (9780937032909): Joanne
Stefanatos D.V.M:

love, elephant
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 03:25:28 PM »

I will most definately seek out that book!  Thanks for the suggestion.  Smiley
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 03:32:07 PM »

a quick internet search also suggested St. Sergius of Radonezh for contemplation.   Referred to as very humble, he is said to have been befriended by wolves.  (Wow.)

You know, I looked up St Gerasimos and his story of the lion is exactly the same as St. Jerome.  Including the lion being tasked with guarding a donkey.    So I wondered, are these the same person but just different spelling of names?  No it turns out.  But, several websites relate that St Gerasimos lived in a monastary that was very close to St. Jerome's, maybe only 2 days of travel.  Their names are so similar with the latin version of Jerome being Gerominus (according to the web), that travellers got mixed up and related what happened to St. Gerasimos as if it happened to St. Jerome.  (According to the web.)  Now that's interesting.

I really like the icon of St Gerasimos as well as the others shared.  Smiley   Now there are quite a few to consider when I create my icon corner.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »

Elder Paisios, who reposed in the mid-90's and has yet to be glorified, but almost certainly will, had a large pet (of sorts) snake.  He was quite fond of snakes.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Saint Gebre Menfes Kiddus

It is said that Abba Gebre Menfes Kiddus rolled around with lions and leopards as if they were stray cats following him around to hear the word of God.

Saint Samuel

It is said that Abba Samuel rolled around with lions, sometimes he is even said to ride them

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 06:33:43 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

And they went according as the angel of the Lord commanded them, and they
found the body of Saint Bacchus, and by the side of it were a lion and wolves protecting it.
And these animals which were wont to eat only the flesh of men and animals had sat by it
for one day and one night, and they had been commanded by God Most High to protect the
body of Saint Bacchus.

Salutation to
Abba Zachariah who succeeded Philotheus, and whom the lions refused to eat.

And the angels of God inflicted pains on those who were beating her, but their torturing
affected Saint Tatus (Tatia) in no way. And the emperor also commanded the soldiers to
give her to a famished lion, but when the lion came to her he crouched at her feet and
licked them; and a voice came from heaven, saying, “Rejoice, O pure one, for I am with
thee.” And when the emperor saw that there was no way of touching her he commanded
the soldiers to cut off her head with the sword, and the soldiers did so, and she finished her
fight. And the Bishop of Rome came by night, and he wrapped her body up in costly
cloths, and laid it in a chest inlaid with gold and silver, and innumerable miracles took
place through her body. Salutation to Tatus (Tatia), perfect within and without, the dust at
whose feet the lion licked.

nd Theophilus said unto him, “I will only
sacrifice to my Lord Jesus Christ.” And the governor commanded the soldiers to throw
him to the lions, [and they did so], and the lions rushed at him and kissed his feet, but in
doing this by the Will of God they wounded him slightly, and he delivered up his soul to
God.

And of Abba Samuel, the lions, and the leopards, and all
kinds of terrifying wild beasts came to him, and bowed down before him, and licked the
dust at his feet. One day as he was going along the road he arrived at a valley (or river),
which was full of water. Now he had with him a book and some fire, and making a prayer
he entered the water..

And when they had said these words of praise they disappeared.
And the blessed Anthony said, “This is the soul of my father Abba Pawli (Paul) kneeling
on his knees with his face [to the ground], and his hands were spread out like a cross. And
he took him up and he seemed to be alive, and he covered him over, and wept over him,
saying, “Remember me, O my father, in the habitations of heaven wherein thou wilt
dwell.” Then Saint Anthony took him, and wrapped his body up in that garment, and he
took the Book and fulfilled over him the Canon of the Law of the Church, and he prayed
over him three times, and read over him the Four Gospels. And he took up his garment
made of the hair of a mule, and he wondered what he should do with it, for he had no
digging tool with him. and straightway there came unto him two lions, and they bowed
low before the body of Saint Pawli (Paul), and they saluted him. And Abba Anthony was
dismayed and was afraid when he saw the lions, and the lions bent their heads to Anthony,
as if they were asking him a question, and they licked his feet as if they had known him
before, and they made signs to him as if they would say unto him, “Where shall we dig a
grave for him?” And Abba Anthony understood their signs, and he measured out for them
a space as long as the body of Pawli (Paul), and he showed them how deep the pit was to
be, and the two lions dug, one towards the head and the other towards the feet, for a space
of four cubits. And Anthony made a sign to them and said unto them, “This is enough for
you”; and the lions came up out of the grave, and they crouched before Abba Anthony as if
they would say, “Forgive us, and remember us, and bless us.” And he blessed them, and
they went away from him, and Saint Anthony wrapped up the body of Saint Abba Pawli
(Paul) and buried him.

And on this day also died Abba Eulog (Eulogius), the writer and companion of lions..And he used to pray six (or, seven)
hundred prayers by day and night, and did not sleep, and he continued to fight this fight for
thirty years, and then he entreated his teacher [to be allowed to go into the desert]. And he
departed to the desert, and went into a little cell, wherein he fought the fight for fifty years;
and God gave him two lions, which ministered unto all his wants. And then he became
sick with a grievous sickness, and he said unto the lions, “I want to drink some hot water.”
And the lions went into the mountain, and they found a shepherd who was watching his
flocks, and [one of the lions] took this shepherd up and brought him to the door of the cell
of the holy manAnd when they heard the
report of him, all the people gathered together to him, and they brought to him all those
who were sick, and he healed them. And in those days his teacher Abba ‘Awgin wished to
go to the country of Fars (Persia), and to convert those who worshipped idols to the True
Faith, and he wished to take with him his son Abba ‘Eulog (Eulogius), but before he sent
him a message to this effect, the Holy Spirit made the lion to understand, and the lion
carried the cloak and the Gospel of the holy man, and made him signs concerning the road,
and the saint followed him, and arrived at the place where Mar ‘Awgin was; and when
‘Awgin saw him, he received him with gladness. And as they were traveling along the
road they came to the River Tigris, and the waters thereof were divided for them, and they
passed over. And when they arrived in the city, they converted the worshippers of idols to
the True Faith, and baptized them in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy
Ghost. One day when the holy men were hungry Mar ‘Eulog (Eulogius) commanded the
lions to seek some food for them, and when the lions had set out they found al old man
carrying a load of bread on a donkey, on which was a child; and the lions took this donkey
and brought him to the holy men. Now the child died of fright, but when Abba ‘Eulog
(Eulogius) had prayed, he restored him to life. And then he returned to his cell, and fell
sick a little, and he died and was buried with great honor. And the lions continued to
watch by his grave for twelve years, and then they returned to the desert..

One day when our
father Gabra Manfas Kedus was at prayer, [the angel] came unto him, and said unto him,
“Come, go up into heaven even as I bore thee thither before”; and he took him, and carried
him on his wing, and made him go up to heaven, and he brought him before God. And our
Lord brought Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and the Fifteen Prophets, and the Twelve
Apostles, and all the martyrs, and He brought all the saints and said unto them as He
placed himself by him, “Rise up, and embrace him that was born after you, and who
fighteth even as ye did, and whose glory shall be exalted. And I will be with him until My
coming, and he shall go with you, and he shall resemble me in purity like the angels. He
shall dwell at My right hand, and ye shall be with him.” And He sent to our father His
Person in His Trinity and He stretched out His hands, and embraced him, and He kissed his
mouth, and He said unto him, “There be many souls whom thou shalt make to escape the
Judgment through thy prayers and thy supplication. Get thee far from men. The blind and
the sick shall be healed through thy prayer. Henceforward withdraw thyself [from men]
and get thee into the Inner Desert. Dwell with the lions and the panthers; the lions shall be
sixty in number and the panthers sixty also.” And the saint said unto our Lord, “What will
the lions and the panthers feed upon and what will they eat?” And He said unto him, “If
thou treadest on the ground with thy foot they will lick the dust of thy foot, and they will
be satisfied until they obtain food; [and this shall be] until thy coming to Me.” When the
good angels heard these words they marveled, and when they saw the saint naked, and
without raiment, they kissed him, and embraced him.
[/size]
All these are from the Ethiopian Synaxarium
stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:34:23 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 06:53:12 PM »

I've always been drawn to Roman Catholic saints who had some sort of connection with animals.  Roman Catholic devotion to St. Francis, of course, is very popular.  But, I always liked the story of Don Bosco's dog, the big gray mastiff dog who showed up to save him from being harmed by robbers.  Then, there's a legend of a lion who became devoted to St. Jerome.    And,  the legend that Roman Catholic saint Rocco (or Svetyj Rok) who, while dying from the plague after tending to sick people, had a dog come and bring him food.   

I feel very blessed to have my Great Pyrenees dog who has protected both me and my mother on several occasions.  As I move to Orthodoxy, I would like to reflect on the Orthodox saints that had a special connection with animals, but I don't know who they are. 

Please post some photos of your Great Pyrenees! There's a "post photos of your pets thread" I started somewhere in the forum.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 12:03:24 AM »

Dont think he is a saint, just a monk...and his wolf!

I love dogs and animals in general----if u do also you might like this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIH0nfgvUt0
Clare G.

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 06:07:04 AM »

My own favourite is St Melangell and the hare:

http://www.greatorme.org.uk/melangell.html

For a lovely icon of her by Aidan Hart see:

http://www.aidanharticons.com/saints/St%20Melangell%20with%20hare_b.jpg

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 08:13:50 AM »

St. Gabriel's of Zwierki body was guarded by dogs.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 08:23:47 AM »

A lion dug the grave of St Mary of Egypt.

And, while not saints (at least, not yet!), it's a rare thing for monks not to have a fondness for cats. One hieromonk friend of mine once told me that "owning" a cat is virtually a canonical requirement for monks, followed closely by a love of coffee.  laugh laugh
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 09:30:29 AM »

Dont think he is a saint, just a monk...and his wolf!

I love dogs and animals in general----if u do also you might like this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIH0nfgvUt0

Wow, that's amazing......   angel 
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »

Saint Gebre Menfes Kiddus

It is said that Abba Gebre Menfes Kiddus rolled around with lions and leopards as if they were stray cats following him around to hear the word of God.

Saint Samuel

It is said that Abba Samuel rolled around with lions, sometimes he is even said to ride them

stay blessed,
habte selassie

These are such pretty icons that you shared.... The style is so unique, rather like naive art, but yet so deep....  Smiley
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 09:37:39 AM »

And, while not saints (at least, not yet!), it's a rare thing for monks not to have a fondness for cats. One hieromonk friend of mine once told me that "owning" a cat is virtually a canonical requirement for monks, followed closely by a love of coffee.  laugh laugh

There was an old National Geographic my grandfather gave to me that shows the lands of the former Byzantine Empire, and it had photographs of Mount Athos with an elderly monk giving fish to his cat.    Maybe after the photograph was taken he went and made himself some coffee....  Smiley

Here's a link that connects St. Helen to cats, when she had them brought to a island to get rid of snakes:
http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/the-holy-monastery-of-saint-nicholas-of-the-cats.html
Margaret S.

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 09:41:25 AM »

St Nectarios of Pentapolis shared his food with stray cats when he was reduced to begging and was frequently hungry. St Nektary of Optina also had a pet cat. And, for a monastic who truly loves his cat, if you haven't discovered Abbot Tryphon and Hammi the Norwegian Forest cat look here http://morningoffering.blogspot.com/   Smiley

Margaret
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 09:43:57 AM »

Please post some photos of your Great Pyrenees! There's a "post photos of your pets thread" I started somewhere in the forum.

I'll try to do that soon.....   Smiley  I'm planning my wedding, plus getting ready to move 2,000 miles, and taking care of my dog who just had surgery for a torn ACL....  So it may take awhile.....

Recenty I read a book about Great Pyrenees that was written by an Evangelical Christian.  He made the connection of these types of dogs and the dogs used by shepherds during Biblical Times.   WHen the shepherds left their flocks to behold the infant Jesus, they had to leave flockguard dogs to guard them.    They don't really herd, instead they fend off attacks from predators.  They are usually calm and gentle, despite their great size.  So I keep telling my dog, hey, you're in the Bible!

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 05:54:47 PM »

St Nectarios of Pentapolis shared his food with stray cats when he was reduced to begging and was frequently hungry. St Nektary of Optina also had a pet cat. And, for a monastic who truly loves his cat, if you haven't discovered Abbot Tryphon and Hammi the Norwegian Forest cat look here http://morningoffering.blogspot.com/   Smiley

Margaret

It was the abovementioned hieromonk who first sent me the links to Fr Tryphon's blog on the gorgeous Hammi.  Smiley
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 07:02:03 PM »

There was an old National Geographic my grandfather gave to me that shows the lands of the former Byzantine Empire, and it had photographs of Mount Athos with an elderly monk giving fish to his cat.    Maybe after the photograph was taken he went and made himself some coffee....  Smiley

Here's a link that connects St. Helen to cats, when she had them brought to a island to get rid of snakes:
http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/the-holy-monastery-of-saint-nicholas-of-the-cats.html

Interestingly enough, several Bishops i have known over the years had cats for pets. I know that as a priest one of them was a dog lover. I asked him, why the cat. The answer was simple, as a parish priest he was rarely away for any extended period of time. As Bishop he had to travel a great deal so it wouldn't be fair to have a dog as cats were less needy. Always a practical answer behind the story.....
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 07:45:23 PM »

Cats are great.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:50:44 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 07:58:08 PM »

Tongue

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:58:44 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 08:00:01 PM »

Cats and dogs, love em both. We have three and the cat is the only one that never keeps me up nights! But there is something about the loyal look of longing in a dog's sad eyes...
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 09:36:17 AM »

Cats and dogs, love em both. We have three and the cat is the only one that never keeps me up nights! But there is something about the loyal look of longing in a dog's sad eyes...

Yes, soooo true!    I always was a cat person, there's something about their independent natures where they allow us to coexist with them on their terms......   But, once I got my dog, wow, they are so loyal.

All those cat pictures were great!  I've read now about the saint and the hare and will get soon to reading about the Elder who liked the snakes.
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 10:05:03 AM »

St. John's Pigeon
http://www.urbanwildlifesociety.org/pigeons/SaintJohnsPij.htm
Once Archbishop John came home to discover that a pigeon was hurt, his wing was damaged, and was sitting outside the window. He opened the window and let it in. The bird could barely flutter, and Archbishop John bound its wing and fed it. That was enough to make it feel adopted. The bird stayed around, especially when the Saint would arrive and would feed it. Actually it remained a mystery how both of them conversed. But one thing we knew: the pigeon reacted to the words of St. John as if it understood what he said. I was told that both of them would sit facing each other, the man softly speaking and the bird making its pigeon sounds in agreement and peacefully walking to and fro, as if memorizing what it was taught. This company Archbishop John kept for a long time, until his death. The pigeon lived on that window ledge and would often fly around in the kitchen and the main visiting room, and in the little corner office of Mrs. Shakmatova in the northwestern corner of the house. I saw the bird fly around, and wondered why they had no cage for it, as for a canary. But I was told, "It is Archbishop John's friend and companion." It was a friendly bird, often eating from his hands.

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: