OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 03:37:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: T.D. Jakes Embraces Doctrine of the Trinity, Moves Away from 'Oneness' View  (Read 2137 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 01, 2012, 12:33:20 AM »

AURORA, Ill. (BP) -- Bishop T.D. Jakes says he has moved away from a "Oneness" view of the Godhead to embrace an orthodox definition of the Trinity -- and that some in the Oneness Pentecostal movement now consider him a heretic.
Jakes -- who once made the cover of Time magazine, which asked if he might be the next Billy Graham -- said he was saved in a Oneness Pentecostal church. Oneness Pentecostalism denies the Trinity and claims that instead of God being three persons, He is one person. In Oneness Pentecostalism, there is no distinction between the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. It is also called "modalism," and it is embraced by the United Pentecostal Church International.
Not everything Jakes said will make Trinitarians happy. He said he considers both sides of the issue to be Christians, and that his church has affiliations with both camps. He also said "we're all saying the same thing."
The doctrine of the Trinity -- embraced by all three historical branches of Christianity -- holds that God is three persons, each person is distinct, each person is fully God, and that there is one God.
Jakes said he prefers the term "manifestations" instead of the term "persons" -- a position he has stated before.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:43:09 AM »

Jakes said he prefers the term "manifestations" instead of the term "persons" -- a position he has stated before.

Modalism by another name.
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 01:19:26 AM »

He has seen the true light.

He has received the Heavenly Spirit.

He has found the true faith.

He adores the undivided Trinity.

Even though he got saved in a Oneness Pentecostal church.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 01:25:37 AM »

Driscoll: "Do you believe this is the perfect, inspired, final authority Word of God?" [Driscoll held up a Bible.]

Jakes: "Absolutely."

Too bad their belief in that doesn't unite them in one faith.

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 02:35:45 AM »

Modalism by another name.

I thought William Brenham was the only guy to, in order to curry favor with both Modalists and Trinitarians, claim that "three manifestations" is the same thing as "three persons."  I wonder if Jakes believes in Serpent Seed theology too?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 02:38:46 AM »

Driscoll: "Do you believe this is the perfect, inspired, final authority Word of God?" [Driscoll held up a Bible.]

Yep.

I'd be even more impressed if they took just the New Testament and tried to come out with the Trinity doctrine.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 02:43:16 AM »

Yep.

I'd be even more impressed if they took just the New Testament and tried to come out with the Trinity doctrine.

One of the reasons, for a time before I left Protestantism, that I was a Modalist was precisely because of the Bible. 

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 02:48:55 AM »

Yep.

One of the reasons, for a time before I left Protestantism, that I was a Modalist was precisely because of the Bible. 

Please explain Christ's agony in the garden using a modalist framework. kthx.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 02:51:21 AM »

Yep.

I mean how does one truly believe that God the Father doesn't exist while God the Son is present?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 03:36:27 AM »

Yep.

That was one thing that threw me - but I generally viewed it the same way I did the Lord's Prayer, as merely an example, not any sort of real prayer.  This was how I also viewed the temptations of Christ by Satan, as an example for us to follow.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 03:36:51 AM »

Yep.

I mean how does one truly believe that God the Father doesn't exist while God the Son is present?

Well, if you think that God the Father is God the Son, then it is quite easy.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 04:08:29 AM »

Yep.

Well, if you think that God the Father is God the Son, then it is quite easy.
Not in Modalistic terms though. From my understanding God the Father ceases to exist when God the Son is born then God the Son resurrects and then ceases to exist for God the Holy Spirit to be there.

Maybe I have modalism wrong here.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 04:08:53 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »

Yep.

When God the Father took birth in human form, He intentionally relinquished His omniscience for that time. Thus, Jesus, not being omniscient, and as a inheritor of the Jewish tradition, did what Jews do, and prayed to the Father -- not knowing, of course, that He was the Father Himself in human form.

At the Resurrection, He re-acquired awareness of His true Identity.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 12:36:36 PM »

Yep.

When God the Father took birth in human form, He intentionally relinquished His omniscience for that time. Thus, Jesus, not being omniscient, and as a inheritor of the Jewish tradition, did what Jews do, and prayed to the Father -- not knowing, of course, that He was the Father Himself in human form.

Wow, how many heresies can we throw into one box?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 12:47:28 PM »

Yep.

PP
Speaking hypothetically as a modalist, of course.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 01:21:07 PM »

Yep.

PP
Speaking hypothetically as a modalist, of course.
Oh yeah, I wasn't saying thats what you believed, but your explanation was excellent.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 02:37:52 PM »

I listened to an Orthodox podcast some time ago on the Trinity. The Priest wisely prefaced it by pointing out that the Trinity was the most difficult aspect of Christianity to fully explain or understand. His reasoning was simply that we are attempting to define God, and in our limited fallen state as man it is not really possible to 'fully' comprehend Him.

I certainly enjoyed the sermon; also I did not hear any major conflicts between the Orthodox view and the definition of the Trinity (Triune) as I have received from Protestant teachings. With love and respect to our Pentecostal friends I have never felt led to find and worship God on that path, or any other modalistic Church, so my understanding of such is a bit weak.

As I consider myself in infancy spiritually speaking, may I inquire if Orthodoxy would agree to the following definition copied from the 'Articles of Faith' at the Church I currently pray, and my understanding of it?

I. The Triune God - We believe in one eternally existent, infinite God, Sovereign of the universe; that He only is God, creative and administrative, holy in nature, attributes, and purpose; that He, as God, is Triune in essential being, revealed as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.      

My limited understanding in brief summary is:
*Our Father is the First Person of the Godhead; Creator and Sustainer of life, completely Holy and perfect in existence.
*Jesus Christ, the Second Person of the Godhead; is eternally one with the Father, took the form of flesh and blood as our Lord, Savior, and Intercessor to The Father on our behalf.
*The Holy Spirit, the Third Person of the Godhead, eternal, is ever present in our lives, efficient in revealing man of sin, regenerating those who repent and believe, and guiding us into all Truth as it is in Jesus.

Of course the more I learn the less I know.  The interrelations between three aspects of one being can/does cause me a bit of confusion at times.

Peace & Grace,

Scott

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 02:55:06 PM »

it scares me that such a mainstream pastor can hold such heretical viewpoints...and for the most part go unnoticed for it!
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 05:29:47 PM »

it scares me that such a mainstream pastor can hold such heretical viewpoints...and for the most part go unnoticed for it!
A couple of reasons:

1. Most American Christians could not name you 2 heresies that were addressed by the Church (pre or post 1054). You cant defend against heresy if you cant define what it is.
**There are some who can, but Im talking about the rank and file**
2. The buffet style of spirituality really makes it a moot point. If your beliefs are wrong, simply go to another church where your beliefs are right and nobody is the wiser, and you're both still a member of the invisible body.

PP

Gregory the Great

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 05:59:02 PM »

The average American Christian (from my experience) sees no major difference between saying that 1 God "manifests" in 3 different ways, and that 1 God exists as 3 "persons". They might notice the difference after you explain to them what all these words mean, though.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 06:01:58 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

meh..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:03:16 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 08:18:19 PM »

The average American Christian (from my experience) sees no major difference between saying that 1 God "manifests" in 3 different ways, and that 1 God exists as 3 "persons". They might notice the difference after you explain to them what all these words mean, though.

well i was pretty much referring to his beliefs as they were before...
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 11:49:18 AM »

You cant defend against heresy if you cant define what it is.

A simple fact and one basic reason I'm on here.

Perhaps I'm missing something (not surprising)...
Isn't that like claiming a belief in the Divinity of Jesus Christ but that Jesus Christ was not aware of His own Divinity?

Also, how does the modalist belief explain the Holy Spirit descending upon Christ at the Jorden river in addition to the voice of God Himself?
Doesn't the baptism of Jesus Christ confirm the doctrine of the trinity? Seems to me there were 3 distinct separate 'Persons' presented there;
God the Father Almighty, Jesus the Son of God, and the Holy Spirit descending from Heaven.

Is there question to my understanding of this? 

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 01:19:48 PM »

meh..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I'll take two 'meh' 's....
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 04:07:59 PM »

Isn't that like claiming a belief in the Divinity of Jesus Christ but that Jesus Christ was not aware of His own Divinity?

Also, how does the modalist belief explain the Holy Spirit descending upon Christ at the Jorden river in addition to the voice of God Himself?
Doesn't the baptism of Jesus Christ confirm the doctrine of the trinity? Seems to me there were 3 distinct separate 'Persons' presented there;
God the Father Almighty, Jesus the Son of God, and the Holy Spirit descending from Heaven.

Right, God the Father voluntarily relinquished His omniscience, so that Christ would not know that Christ is the Father, until after the Resurrection or maybe even not until after the Ascension.

The Holy Spirit descended "like a dove" upon Christ, true. That's because before the Father become Christ, the Father briefly became the Holy Spirit (thus explaining how the Holy Spirit was responsible for the conception in Mary's womb). At the time of Christ's birth, a portion of the Holy Spirit remained separate -- until it entered Christ at Christ's baptism, at which time the Holy Spirit ceased existing independently for the time being.

The voice was  symbolic of Christ's understanding of who He was at the time: the very favored Son of the Father (but not yet believing that Christ was in fact the Father).

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 04:11:45 PM »

Right, God the Father voluntarily relinquished His omniscience, so that Christ would not know that Christ is the Father, until after the Resurrection or maybe even not until after the Ascension.

The Holy Spirit descended "like a dove" upon Christ, true. That's because before the Father become Christ, the Father briefly became the Holy Spirit (thus explaining how the Holy Spirit was responsible for the conception in Mary's womb). At the time of Christ's birth, a portion of the Holy Spirit remained separate -- until it entered Christ at Christ's baptism, at which time the Holy Spirit ceased existing independently for the time being.

The voice was  symbolic of Christ's understanding of who He was at the time: the very favored Son of the Father (but not yet believing that Christ was in fact the Father).
That is quite possibly, the silliest thing I have ever read. How on God's Green Earth people can glean this and be sola scriptura is beyond me.....

PP

Gregory the Great

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 11:07:07 PM »

You cant defend against heresy if you cant define what it is.

A simple fact and one basic reason I'm on here.

Don't let jetavan play with your head. I think he's trying to present to us the modalist system of thought as he understands it. You could say he's engaging in a type of "know your enemy" exercise. As I read your musings on the Trinity, your beliefs are actually quite close to Orthodox.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 11:17:26 PM »

I think a Modalist would be forced to describe Christ in Nestorianizing tendencies.  This is perhaps the best way to explain all these verses of Christ and the dove and the voice from the Father "This is my beloved Son."

Other explanations was that it was all for show, so that we can attain the same words.  In other words, He did these as examples for us, so that God may also say of us, "This is my beloved Son" and that we can say "Our Father."

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 04:16:49 PM »

The voice was  symbolic of Christ's understanding of who He was at the time: the very favored Son of the Father (but not yet believing that Christ was in fact the Father).

O.K. I appreciate your answering.

At this point let me simply thank you for your reply and wish you God's Peace, Grace, and Understanding.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:31:30 PM by alanscott » Logged

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 04:19:01 PM »

The voice was  symbolic of Christ's understanding of who He was at the time: the very favored Son of the Father (but not yet believing that Christ was in fact the Father).
Starting off your reply with the word ‘right’ would indicate that my statement was in agreement with your point of view. If that is the case I am sorry that my words were misunderstood.
At this point let me simply thank you for your reply and wish you God’s Peace, Grace, and Understanding.

I was giving you a possible modalist response. To paraphrase Christine O'Donnell, "I'm not a modalist."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:19:30 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 04:56:30 PM »

Starting off your reply with the word ‘right’ would indicate that my statement was in agreement with your point of view. If that is the case I am sorry that my words were misunderstood.
At this point let me simply thank you for your reply and wish you God’s Peace, Grace, and Understanding.

I was giving you a possible modalist response. To paraphrase Christine O'Donnell, "I'm not a modalist."
LOL Forgive me! I totally misunderstood. On the bright side it is an indicator that your very good at that sort of thing!  Smiley
I truly thank you for the reply. It is well beyond my understanding of how that could be seen, considered, or felt as Truth. To each their own I guess.

alanscott
Elder

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 05:03:51 PM »

Don't let jetavan play with your head. I think he's trying to present to us the modalist system of thought as he understands it. You could say he's engaging in a type of "know your enemy" exercise. As I read your musings on the Trinity, your beliefs are actually quite close to Orthodox.

Yea, he is VERY good at that! I just apologized as I did in fact misunderstand him to be a modalist. Oops!

Thanks for clarifying my interpretation of the Trinity as well.

Peace & Grace,

Scott

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: