OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:13:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rejoicing 175 years: Local black Catholics marking historic anniversary  (Read 584 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 30, 2012, 09:54:43 AM »

The history of black Catholicism will be celebrated beginning today at Charleston’s St. Patrick’s Church, which is turning 175. It is marking its anniversary with a special Mass and series of events extending through 2012.
On Monday, a handful of members, along with the Rev. Henry N. Kulah, pastor of St. Patrick’s, unfurled a newly minted anniversary banner and contemplated how to mount it to the front of the building on St. Philip Street.

The parish has come a long way from its early days.

It was founded in 1837 by a small group of blacks and whites when Catholics living outside the city limits requested a parish toward the Neck Area. They didn’t want to travel downtown to St. Mary’s on Hasell Street, the first Catholic parish of Charleston, established in 1789, or to the Cathedral of St. Finbar on Broad Street (now St. John the Baptist), which opened in 1821, Krebsbach writes in her essay.

Bishop John England, the first leader appointed by the Vatican to the fledgling diocese in 1820, was forced to navigate both anti-Catholic prejudice and racial discrimination. When he opened a school for free blacks, it quickly attracted 80 students, writes Krebsbach, but the bishop was forced to shut it down under threat of lynching.

That interest in education persisted, however, and years later, in 1904, the diocese opened Immaculate Conception School on Coming Street, a parochial day school for blacks. In 1961, then-Bishop Paul Hallinan announced the diocese’s Catholic schools would be integrated.

There was lots of both anti-Catholic and anti-Black sentiment, historically, in the South. The post-1915 KKK was explicitly anti-both. How did the KKK view the Orthodox, or were there simply not enough Orthodox in the South (except for maybe Florida) for the KKK to pay attention? But then again, the KKK was quite active in the north, too, where the Orthodox population would be relatively high.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:55:48 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »

The history of black Catholicism will be celebrated beginning today at Charleston’s St. Patrick’s Church, which is turning 175. It is marking its anniversary with a special Mass and series of events extending through 2012.
On Monday, a handful of members, along with the Rev. Henry N. Kulah, pastor of St. Patrick’s, unfurled a newly minted anniversary banner and contemplated how to mount it to the front of the building on St. Philip Street.

The parish has come a long way from its early days.

It was founded in 1837 by a small group of blacks and whites when Catholics living outside the city limits requested a parish toward the Neck Area. They didn’t want to travel downtown to St. Mary’s on Hasell Street, the first Catholic parish of Charleston, established in 1789, or to the Cathedral of St. Finbar on Broad Street (now St. John the Baptist), which opened in 1821, Krebsbach writes in her essay.

Bishop John England, the first leader appointed by the Vatican to the fledgling diocese in 1820, was forced to navigate both anti-Catholic prejudice and racial discrimination. When he opened a school for free blacks, it quickly attracted 80 students, writes Krebsbach, but the bishop was forced to shut it down under threat of lynching.

That interest in education persisted, however, and years later, in 1904, the diocese opened Immaculate Conception School on Coming Street, a parochial day school for blacks. In 1961, then-Bishop Paul Hallinan announced the diocese’s Catholic schools would be integrated.

There was lots of both anti-Catholic and anti-Black sentiment, historically, in the South. The post-1915 KKK was explicitly anti-both. How did the KKK view the Orthodox, or were there simply not enough Orthodox in the South (except for maybe Florida) for the KKK to pay attention? But then again, the KKK was quite active in the north, too, where the Orthodox population would be relatively high.

I would guess that the KKK did not distinguish between Catholics and Orthodox, but who knows. AHEPA was started in Atlanta GA to combat the KKK:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Hellenic_Educational_Progressive_Association

In Utah, the American Legion and the KKK were involved in anti-Greek:
http://www.media.utah.edu/UHE/g/GREEKS.html

That is the extent of my "off-hand" knowledge.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:10:55 PM »

The Klan was active in upstate New York during the 1920's and held a massive 'pro-America' rally during 1928 in Johnson City, NY ( part of the so-called 'Triple Cities' which included Binghamton, NY)  - home to thousands of eastern European and Italian immigrants who worked the railroads and shoe factories of the day. In speaking with 'old timers' when I was in high school in the late 1960's, they recounted as to how the Klan treated any non-Protestant with equal disdain and hatred - made no difference if you were a Papist or a 'Katzap' (derogatory term for Russian Orthodox during that era.) 1928 was significant in that Roman Catholic Governor Al Smith, an Irish-American, was the Democratic candidate for President and the Klan was terrified by the prospect of the election of 'one of them'.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan

Second KKK
In 1915, the second Klan was founded and remained a small organization in Georgia. Starting in 1921, it adopted a modern business system of recruiting (which paid most of the initiation fee and costume charges to the organizers) and grew rapidly nationwide at a time of prosperity. Reflecting the social tensions of urban industrialization and vastly increased immigration, its membership grew most rapidly in cities, and spread to the Midwest and West out of the South. The second KKK preached "One Hundred Percent Americanism" demanded the purification of politics, calling for strict morality and better enforcement of prohibition. Its official rhetoric focused on the threat of the Catholic Church, using anti-Catholicism and nativism.[18] Its appeal was directed exclusively at white Protestants.[19] Some local groups took part in attacks on private houses and carried out other violent activities. The violent episodes were generally in the South.[20]
The second Klan was a formal fraternal organization, with a national and state structure. At its peak in the mid-1920s, the organization claimed to include about 15% of the nation's eligible population, approximately 4–5 million men. Internal divisions, criminal behavior by leaders, and external opposition brought about a collapse in membership, which had dropped to about 30,000 by 1930. It finally faded away in the 1940s.[21] Klan organizers also operated in Canada, especially in Saskatchewan in 1926-28, where it attacked immigrants from Eastern Europe.[22]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:11:40 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:16:18 PM »

I wonder how the Klan feels about the Supreme Court having six Catholics and three Jews.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 01:33:01 PM »

I wonder how the Klan feels about the Supreme Court having six Catholics and three Jews.

VEEERY UNHAPPY....Thank God they marginalized themselves over the years. Supporting the Nazi's prior to ww2 was a 'bad move' on their part. Thank God for that!
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 02:29:47 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

VEEERY UNHAPPY....Thank God they marginalized themselves over the years. Supporting the Nazi's prior to ww2 was a 'bad move' on their part. Thank God for that!

Really, I'd think being an extremist, right-wing, terrorist militia would have been the nail in the coffin Wink

Quite literally, the KKK is the Taliban of America, and further, they are even worse and more backwards!!

Besides A LOT of Americans supported the Nazis before WWII, including the wealthy banking elites and many of them did just fine.  Therefore I would say the terrorism and backwards racism is what was obviously marginalizing for the KKK, and God please further marginalize their organization and their ideas well out of existence!

I like this thread, I always noticed the authenticity of Christianity because folks like Mexicans and black folks adopts Catholicism and Christianity at the hands of exploitation, racism, slavery, and even genocide, and yet these victims became the good Christians, living the ideals of Christianity, while the supposed Christian Europeans and Americans clearly fell short of the mark..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:30:08 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 02:53:23 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Really, I'd think being an extremist, right-wing, terrorist militia would have been the nail in the coffin Wink

Quite literally, the KKK is the Taliban of America, and further, they are even worse and more backwards!!

Besides A LOT of Americans supported the Nazis before WWII, including the wealthy banking elites and many of them did just fine.  Therefore I would say the terrorism and backwards racism is what was obviously marginalizing for the KKK, and God please further marginalize their organization and their ideas well out of existence!

I like this thread, I always noticed the authenticity of Christianity because folks like Mexicans and black folks adopts Catholicism and Christianity at the hands of exploitation, racism, slavery, and even genocide, and yet these victims became the good Christians, living the ideals of Christianity, while the supposed Christian Europeans and Americans clearly fell short of the mark..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Do we not *all* clearly fall short of the mark, no matter our skin color, language, or nationality? 

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 03:13:40 PM »

As someone whose own family members and childhood friends were/are in the Klan, it can get pretty weird trying to figure out exactly who they dislike.  Obviously any and all non-whites are hated.  But even some whites are hated.  If you have black friends or are sympathetic to African-Americans?  You're a "N**ger Lover" and hated.  Catholics are hated.  Jews are hated.  Liberals are hated.  Homosexuals are hated.  If you're a foreigner, and you're white European, you're you're looked upon with suspicion until you 'prove' your allegiance to America and you don't like non-whites, Catholics, or Jews.   Thankfully my father saw through their silliness and educated my brother and I.  But it wasn't easy.  Growing up in Kentucky, my family were dirt poor and ended up living in an area where other poor whites and blacks lived.  Everyday, my brother and I were attacked by the black kids.  Years later, when we moved to the Ozarks, the area was heavily segregated.  I decided to visit the black side of town (on Juneteenth no less) to try and make friends and learn more about their culture.  I was immediately surrounded and threatened with it being made clear I wasn't welcome and if I came back, "We gon' carve da white off y'all".  My cousins and friends tried desperately to use these instances to prove their rhetoric.  They knew my family was pretty religious so they used Ephesians' 'master and slave' advice on me as well.

The KKK are fairly easy for me to deal with since I'm white, Southern and have acquaintances with them.  They don't like that I'm married to an Asian-American woman, though.  I don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm chummy with 'em, because I ain't.  

Now with Neo-Nazis and Skinheads, you never know what to expect.  They're all about white power this and white power that, but they actually like some Orthodox Christian countries because of their involvement with the Jewish Pogroms.  Just as an arbitrary example, they don't see Serbians as white but they like "them Orthodox boys 'cause they knew how to handle their Jews!" *  

* This was a quote taken from Stormfront, a racist, white-power site run by Skinheads but has members from all types of hate groups.  Sadly, I know some Orthodox Christians who visit and participate there often (One of them showed me the quote about 'Orthodox Christians' I just used.  

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 03:26:40 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Do we not *all* clearly fall short of the mark, no matter our skin color, language, or nationality?  

"For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives but to save them.”
Luke 9:56
Yes, but when Christ asks us to spread the Gospel out of love, and some Christians in history have spread it under the coercion of colonialism, slavery, and even genocide, CLEARLY these could hardly be called Christians by their behavior, and if any folks who were victimized by this history decided that Christianity was a hypocritical myth I could completely understand, because some of us Christians had clearly misrepresented our faith.  Rather, that these victimized societies, peoples, and civilizations instead became some of the most devout Christians (I'm talking about Mexican and Central American Catholicism and southern black Protestants)m that is a testimony to the truth of Jesus Christ which even Pontius Pilate confessed..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:29:50 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: