OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 01:46:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mary as Co-Redemptrix and Mediatrix  (Read 9256 times) Average Rating: 0
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #180 on: December 29, 2011, 06:09:13 PM »

I am only presenting these Orthodox sources to counter the accusation that the Catholic Church teaches heresy when she teaches that the Mother of God is mediatrix.

It is apparently a shared teaching.

The Mother of God - cause of her own Immaculate Conception.

Yes, you are probably right.   For example, how many of the Fathers share the teaching that the Mother of God, being the Mediator of all graces, was the cause of her own Immaculate Conception, conferring the grace upon herself, in anticipation of the merits of Her Son upon the Cross.

Of course...only in your mouth.

witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2011, 12:13:04 AM »

You will notice that all of the patristic citations that I have offered to date come from Orthodox sources.  [snip]I am only presenting these Orthodox sources to counter the accusation that the Catholic Church teaches heresy when she teaches that the Mother of God is mediatrix.

Except no one is disputing that she is a mediator. What has been disputed is that she is the 'mediator of all graces'. And 'mediator' does not equal 'mediator of all graces' no matter how many of the thousands of Patristic statements about her being a mediator you post.

I also notice that you have never gone back to address the St. Maximus' quote, the one that is the clearest expositional teaching on this thread (as opposed to the poetic language of devotionals referring to her unique role as the Birthgiver of Christ, the savior and unique mediator between God and man), and which quite clearly precludes any attempt to claim that 'all Grace' comes through the Theotokos.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:13:28 AM by witega » Logged

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2011, 12:31:31 AM »

I am only presenting these Orthodox sources to counter the accusation that the Catholic Church teaches heresy when she teaches that the Mother of God is mediatrix.

So far that is my only point.

I am a priest.  I am a mediator between God and man.  See Aquinas.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:32:16 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2011, 01:24:30 AM »

Of course...only in your mouth.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #184 on: December 30, 2011, 02:09:49 AM »

Except no one is disputing that she is a mediator.
I think this is the key to understanding the various texts that mention Mary's mediation, because she is a mediator between God and man - in an exemplary fashion - but she is still only one mediator among many.

After all, Christians in general are mediators of the graces of God to humanity, for through baptism the whole Church participates in Christ's sole mediation.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:10:46 AM by Apotheoun » Logged

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2012, 02:19:50 AM »

CONTEXT NOTE: The following posts originally submitted here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,41224.0.html  -PtA

It is an authentic teaching of Catholic tradition,whether or not it is considered to be a teaching from scripture. The Catholic Church and and Orthodox churches don't just  cull their doctrines from scripture through Catholic tradition,they also teach doctrines that have been passed on from the apostles and ancient theologians which are not found in scripture. Some Catholic doctrines are confirmed by visitations of Jesus and ary to saints. Instead of just criticizing the doctrine based on scripture and Greek and Eastern tradition,you should consider whether Mary really appeared to St. Bernadette and told her "I am the Immaculate Conception".

Eagerly awaiting the day when the Lady reappears and says "I am the Quasi-Incarnation."  

More likely Father, it will be "I am the Co-Redeemer,"  "you have offended me and need to make reparations or calamities will strike," that sort of thing.

Mary is indeed co-redeemer with Christ. When that is proclaimed as a Church dogma,it will bring great grace upon the Church.

http://fifthmariandogma.com/

http://www.ewtn.com/library/MARY/MEDIATRI.HTM

Since we are all called to be co-redeemers with Christ, I do not hope for this particular truth to be dogmatized for the Mother of God alone.  Only those truths which are unique to the Mother of God should be defined as such.  Not those which are more universal and apply to all of humankind as we are adopted sons and daughters of the Father, and brothers and sisters of the Son, and spiritual children and pupils of the Holy Spirit.  In that way we are all called to participate in the redeeming acts of our Lord and Savior, Jesus, the Christ.

M.

Tags: Theotokos Co-Redemptrix 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: