OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 09:17:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intentional misrepresentation?  (Read 6775 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2012, 04:05:04 AM »

I was going by your first stated intentions for the thread.   I did not read the one which you have included in a message to Stashko.
What's funny is that the message to stashko is the very same Reply #111 you listed earlier as evidence of the correctness of your interpretation of my purpose.

Is it?  I find this thread so despicable and shameful that I cannot think straight when I must engage it.

I have owned and moderated a Yahoo list since November 2000.  Never would I allow anything like this to continue.  It would be stopped as soon as I saw it.  I believe that this is correct ethical and professional behaviour in terms of the standards I want for my list.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2012, 04:11:31 AM »

I was going by your first stated intentions for the thread.   I did not read the one which you have included in a message to Stashko.
What's funny is that the message to stashko is the very same Reply #111 you listed earlier as evidence of the correctness of your interpretation of my purpose.

Is it?
Yes, it is. I just checked to make sure.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #227 on: February 02, 2012, 04:13:07 AM »

The Greek Orthodox Church (GOARCH) and the Antiochian Service Books that I have, do not have the Beatitudes listed in them. Nor do they sing them on Sunday. Only the Orthodox Churches who are part of the Genuine Orthodox Church of Greece (True Orthodox) or the Orthodox Churches who follow the Slavonic Typikon sing the Beatitudes during the Divine Liturgy.
Okay. I stand corrected, then. Thank you.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #228 on: February 02, 2012, 04:25:04 AM »

I didn't start this thread to state any suspicion I might have that Fr. Ambrose intentionally misrepresents Roman Catholic doctrine. I just note that he gets accused of this a lot, enough so that threads get derailed by these accusations. I'm finally giving him a chance to defend himself against these charges without threads getting derailed in the process.

So your first sentence (cleverly worded) means that you believe I intentionally misrepresent Roman Catholic doctrine but you do not want to come right out and say so?  Why not?  Let's hash it out.  If you believe that I intentionally misrepresent Roman Catholic doctrine please do me the courtesy of stating your position plainly.  I think this particular thread has stripped us of any polite veneer or logodaedaly.
 Irish Hermit,

After the first complaint regarding your conduct had been received by our staff, we allowed this thread and a few others to remain open to try to allow you to defend yourself against the accustaions made against you. It is now evident that you are unable to od so well, and so this thread has run its course. It is now time to take action.

In this thread alone while already in a Warned state, you have:

1. Impersonated a moderator (reply #183, using red text which is reserved only for members of the Mod staff); and

2. Publically disputed a Moderatorial decisions REPEATEDLY, even after being corrected AND having the corrections acknowledged by others participating in the thread (replies 184,215, 218, and 221).

You should be banned. There are many, many voices crying out for this action to be taken, and none of them are from the members of the ecclesiastical organization with which you are debating.

However, it is my wish to not ban you, which is the second time in a year I have decided to overule the pleas of many, and instead extend to you the following acts of mercy:

You will be muted for 99 days;
Placed on Post Moderation for 99 days afterwards; and
Warned for 99 days after that time period.

I want to state now to you and to everyone who is complaining to me regarding you receiving generous treatment that those making those statements are correct: I am being especially generous to you, on account of your past contributions to discussions here and elsewhere in the past.

But this is the last time. I will no longer protect you from the consequences of your conduct as I have in the past.

And, for all those who you will marshal to deluge me with PMs here to attempt to change my mind, feel free to do so. It will only confirm this decision that for the peace of the forum IrishHermit will need to go elsewhere for a period of time.

+FrChris
Administrator
 Irish Hermit,

Since your muting, you have regularly changed your profile signature to criticize the moderation you have earned.

In a rare unanimous decision by the moderatorial panel here, your conduct has been such that they have agreed you have earned the discipline of being banned. In the past I would have blocked such a decision, but as I had promised you before I can no longer protect you from the consequences of your actions here.

I very much regret doing so, but your conduct after being muted has earned this discipline.

+FrChris
Admin
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 04:34:28 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #229 on: February 02, 2012, 04:29:33 AM »

Is it?  I find this thread so despicable and shameful that I cannot think straight when I must engage it.

I have owned and moderated a Yahoo list since November 2000.  Never would I allow anything like this to continue.  It would be stopped as soon as I saw it.  I believe that this is correct ethical and professional behaviour in terms of the standards I want for my list.

Onward Orthodox Christian Solider, Marching As to War ,With The Cross Of Jesus Going on Before.... police

Fr.Bless ,Don't let Peter Break Your Spirit ,You Have Your Faith and Truth As Your Shield ....
Many Saints Were Accused Unjustly, They Kept Marching Onward ,Some Even unto Death ...

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #230 on: February 02, 2012, 05:58:32 AM »

Is it?
Yes, it is. I just checked to make sure.

There is, it seems to me, a lack of clarity and lack of direction in this thread and, predictably, it has devolved into what it is now because it was, imo, poorly conceived.
Delphine

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #231 on: February 02, 2012, 10:04:24 AM »

I've been lurking for a long time, and this thread finally made me want to register. 

I was born and raised Catholic, and I've been wavering between Catholicism and Orthodoxy for the past year. I might not have been participating in these threads, but the back and forth between the members of this forum, particularly between Fr. Ambrose and Mary, have been helpful to me and make me think. I sometimes turn what I read into discussion topics between me and the Orthodox priest I've been meeting with, and I always learn so much more. 

Fr. Ambrose, I do not doubt your experiences in the Catholic Church. Many of the things you say sound like things my grandfather learned to be facts as a boy, and I know that he struggled greatly with remaining Catholic after the opinions of predominant Catholic scholars changed. My grandfather was then told for the first time that all of his supposed "facts" were simply highly regarded scholarly opinions. This was never much of a problem for me, because as a post-Vatican II child, I was taught up front that just because something is the opinion of scholars, saints, even Popes, that doesn't make it dogma.

In my experience, when it comes to theological ideas not set in stone as dogma, Catholics tend to take the opinions of modern scholars and the current Pope. It's their ideas that we hear the most. When it comes to ideas that are currently out of favor, Catholic posters are naturally going to ask for evidence from Councils, which can't be changed, and the Catechism. It doesn't matter how well regarded a saint is if you're presenting an idea that most modern Catholics reject.

Could some of the contention be from Fr. Ambrose showing evidence that people at various points in history were taught and acted on currently out of favor things that were never actual dogma, and Catholic posters are focusing on doctrine and ideas currently prevalent in the Catholic Church?

Hopefully I haven't crossed any lines. I know you don't know me, but I've learned so much from each one of you. 
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #232 on: February 02, 2012, 10:47:19 AM »

This thread has deviated far from my stated purpose for starting it, so it is now locked to keep it from becoming an even greater embarrassment to this forum community and to this thread's participants.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: