OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 09:31:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is the NSRV - Catholic Edition OK for Orthodox Christians?
Yes - 2 (15.4%)
No - 10 (76.9%)
Probably - 1 (7.7%)
There are better Go-Anywhere Bibles - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The NRSV Catholic Edition- OK for Orthodox Christians?  (Read 943 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: January 29, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062048368/ref=s9_simh_bw_p14_d0_g14_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=01P2C4DJ1REEHKH7KCV9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1321581422&pf_rd_i=283155

I like the ease of portability and the fact that the Apocrypha is included.  Thoughts?  Recommendations?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 04:47:02 PM »

I don't think the NRSV translation is okay for anyone (really, horrible translation). Unfortunately, as this is the first I've heard of "go-anywhere" or "thinline" Bibles I cannot make a counter-recommendation. If you can find an RSV in this format, go for it.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »

Fr. Hopko recommended the original RSV in his podcast, currently sold as the Ignatius Bible - RSV Ed.

http://www.ignatius.com/Products/IB2-P/ignatius-bible-rsv-2nd-edition.aspx

He didn't like the the NRSV very much. If I recall correctly, it was due to some of the gender-inclusive language and such distorting the meaning of certain passages, as well as some other reasons.

English Translations of the Bible (From Speaking the Truth in Love, Nov 22, 2010)
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/hopko/english_translations_of_the_bible

I learned a lot from that particular podcast & hope you find it of benefit.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 01:55:48 PM »

This was probably the best RSV (picked up one for $1 at a library sale):

There have been many adaptations of the RSV over the years.

[edit] Common BibleThe Common Bible of 1973 ordered the books in a way that pleased both Catholics and Protestants. It was divided into four sections:

The Old Testament (39 Books)
The Catholic Deuterocanonical Books (12 Books)
The additional Eastern Orthodox Deuterocanonical Books (three Books; six Books after 1977)
The New Testament (27 Books)
The non-deuterocanonicals gave the Common Bible a total of 81 books: it included 1 Esdras (also known as 3 Ezra), 2 Esdras (4 Ezra), and the Prayer of Manasseh, books that have appeared in the Vulgate's appendix since Jerome's time "lest they perish entirely", but are not considered canonical by Catholics and are thus not included in most modern Catholic Bibles. In 1977, the RSV Apocrypha was expanded to include 3 Maccabees, 4 Maccabees, and Psalm 151, three additional sections accepted in the Eastern Orthodox canon (4 Maccabees again forming an appendix in that tradition), although it still does not include additional books in the Syriac and Ethiopian canons. This action increased the Common Bible to 84 Books, making it the most comprehensive English bible translation to date in its inclusion of books not accepted by all denominations. The goal of the Common Bible was to help ecumenical relations between the churches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revised_Standard_Version

Antiochian OC N.A.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: