OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 04:44:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very controversial, Orthodox Freemasons  (Read 12890 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #315 on: September 20, 2013, 06:48:18 PM »

How did you know that is my favorite hobby?!

Because I've lived in Pennsylvania, I know just how bored one can get.  Tongue

Been there, done that...the Pennsylvania thing, not the kicking thing....
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #316 on: September 20, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »

Why are you screaming???  Are you trying to get us killed?

"And I wanna apologize to Josh's mom ... (sniff) ... and Mike's mom ... (sob) ... and my mom ..." etc. etc. [/end Blair Witch reference]

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Babalon
Resident Occultist

Faith: Gnosis
Jurisdiction: A.'.A.'.

I am everywhere the centre.

« Reply #317 on: October 17, 2013, 12:38:09 AM »

The Golden Dawn of modern Greece is a Neo-Nazi political party, nothing more. You're confusing it with the Hermetic Order of The Golden Dawn, which was an initiatory magic order formed in the 19th century:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermetic_Order_of_the_Golden_Dawn

Other than the name, the two organizations share absolutely nothing in common.
I believe that the Greek Neo-Nazis got their name from the Occult group. The Greek Neo-Nazis writings include occultism in their magazine, as I discussed on another thread about Golden Dawn you can find on the forum.

Where else did they pick their name from? They are both occult groups, although one is largely a political party.

I can't seem to find much evidence that this political party has anything to do with the occult. Apart from the apparent fact that during the 1980's they had "roots in neopaganism" whatever that means. They also seemed to be largely anti-masonic and anti-christian, which automatically excludes them from being tagged as an occult order in any way similar to the original Golden Dawn. Especially since the old Golden Dawn system was firmly rooted in and based on freemasonry and the Christian mythos.

In any case, the group seems to have "embraced" Greek Orthodoxy as of today. These guys apparently don't know which way is up..

Nikolaos Greek
Last among equals

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Greece

« Reply #318 on: October 17, 2013, 08:37:55 AM »

Golden dawn does not embrace in real Orthodoxy. Just to win the people.
The highest embers have write sogns about the enemy.

God is Love.
Ό Θεός ἀγάπη ἐστί.
There is no luck, there is no fate. There are always two ways. One is God's and one is devil's. And in each step of your life you have to pick one, always.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #319 on: October 17, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »

A timely post from Sanidoupoulos reporting a Smiley leading Greek Bishop condemning Golden Dawn and a renegade monastery.

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2013/10/declaration-on-golden-dawn.html
Babalon
Resident Occultist

« Reply #320 on: October 17, 2013, 06:15:49 PM »

Golden dawn does not embrace in real Orthodoxy.

I completely agree with you. They also don't embrace the esoteric teachings of the original Golden Dawn.

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #321 on: October 17, 2013, 07:08:36 PM »

'Orthodox Freemasons', an oxymoron surely?
Babalon
Resident Occultist

« Reply #322 on: October 17, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »

Depends on who you ask.  police

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #323 on: October 17, 2013, 10:14:30 PM »

A useful waste of time for some and an open secret to others.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:14:52 PM by rakovsky » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #324 on: October 17, 2013, 10:40:40 PM »

Speaking of oxymorons, isn't much of the relationship between Christianity and Masonry "oxymoronic", or rather contradictory.

Take for example the Orthodox Square Club (http://www.osca-int.org)

The website talks about Fr. James Stathakios in Detroit as a priest overseeing their activities, and says "at present there are 16 Chapters on the Organisation's roster." Yet how can there be open "Masonic" Orthodox organizations if there Church statements disagreeing with it?

On their website they have this announcement about their "Traditional Easter Feast", which of course has a Christian theme.

The curious thing is the red cross with INRI. Why does it use Latin letters if it is Orthodox? Perhaps that is just a typo and the red color and rose are random? Or maybe it has a different meaning?

EWTN reports:
The Catholic Church has difficulties with Freemasonry because it is indeed a kind of religion unto itself... INRI (For Christians... Jesus of Nazareth King of the Jews) means for Masons "Igne Natura Renovatur Integra" ("the fire of nature rejuvenates all) referring to the sacred fire's (truth and love) regeneration of mankind, just as the sun regenerates nature in the Spring.
http://www.ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/WHATMAS.HTM

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:42:53 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #325 on: October 18, 2013, 12:58:32 AM »

A timely post from Sanidoupoulos reporting a Smiley leading Greek Bishop condemning Golden Dawn and a renegade monastery.

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2013/10/declaration-on-golden-dawn.html

Metropolitan Seraphim has also been quite vocal in the past few months against Golden Dawn. Although, he spends a lot of time condemning their pagan influences
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:59:16 AM by Gunnarr » Logged

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #326 on: October 18, 2013, 01:00:12 AM »

there are confirmed "orthodox freemasons" bishops so no not an oxymoron, unless we stop calling those bishops orthodox

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #327 on: October 18, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »

there are confirmed "orthodox freemasons" bishops so no not an oxymoron, unless we stop calling those bishops orthodox
Like who? Proof?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #328 on: October 18, 2013, 11:12:13 AM »

Gunarr,
Can't people be "oxymoronic"? For example, what about some of Jesus' descriptions of the pharisees as making rules that do not follow other principles?

If the Orthodox Church makes statements about Masonry, yet some bishops are freemasons, shouldn't you look at both and decide which makes sense? For example, do Orthodox criticisms of Masonry as a religious group make sense? Or are there Orthodox reasons why a bishop should be Masonic?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:13:05 AM by rakovsky » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #329 on: October 18, 2013, 11:36:21 AM »

Like who? Proof?
Primus,

I am not interested in discouraging people about Orthodoxy. We should have right faith, not faith in individual hierarchs. I don't know which bishops Gunarr has in mind or what his proof would be.

One article that has a noncanonical viewpoint says that in April, 1963
Greek Archbishop James of North and South America (a Freemason of the 33rd degree)... in April, 1963... said: “It would be utterly foolish for the true believer to pretend or to insist that the whole truth has been revealed only to them, and they alone possess it. Such a claim would be both unbiblical and untheological… Christ did not specify the date nor the place that the Church would suddenly take full possession of the truth.”
http://www.orthodoxchristianbooks.com/articles/281/ten-reasons-why-ecumenical-patriarchate-is-not-orthodox
Granted, the article does not say where it got the claim he was a freemason from. I tend to think the bishop's statement is correct- we do not know everything. On the other hand, our Church is supposed to be Catholic, ie. it has the fullness of the faith. It feels strange that he says it would be foolish to say we alone have the whole truth. Orthodoxy considers itself to have more truth than other religions.

Another article, about Orthodox Freemasons, says Antiochian Archbishop Niphon Sabbas of Lebanon is a 33 Degree Freemason and includes this photo:

(http://www.scribd.com/doc/130103744/Greek-Orthodox-Freemasons-Hierarchs-Clergymen-Who-Have-Been-Members)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:39:10 AM by rakovsky » Logged
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #330 on: October 18, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »

No offense, but that website doesn't exactly scream scholarly investigation.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #331 on: October 18, 2013, 01:05:51 PM »

Like who? Proof?
Primus,

I am not interested in discouraging people about Orthodoxy. We should have right faith, not faith in individual hierarchs. I don't know which bishops Gunarr has in mind or what his proof would be.

One article that has a noncanonical viewpoint says that in April, 1963
Greek Archbishop James of North and South America (a Freemason of the 33rd degree)... in April, 1963... said: “It would be utterly foolish for the true believer to pretend or to insist that the whole truth has been revealed only to them, and they alone possess it. Such a claim would be both unbiblical and untheological… Christ did not specify the date nor the place that the Church would suddenly take full possession of the truth.”
http://www.orthodoxchristianbooks.com/articles/281/ten-reasons-why-ecumenical-patriarchate-is-not-orthodox
Granted, the article does not say where it got the claim he was a freemason from. I tend to think the bishop's statement is correct- we do not know everything. On the other hand, our Church is supposed to be Catholic, ie. it has the fullness of the faith. It feels strange that he says it would be foolish to say we alone have the whole truth. Orthodoxy considers itself to have more truth than other religions.

Another article, about Orthodox Freemasons, says Antiochian Archbishop Niphon Sabbas of Lebanon is a 33 Degree Freemason and includes this photo:

(http://www.scribd.com/doc/130103744/Greek-Orthodox-Freemasons-Hierarchs-Clergymen-Who-Have-Been-Members)
Once I read this:

“The leadership of many local new calendar Churches that is, bishops, other clergy, theologians, etc. have been overcome by Masonry.”
I knew what this thing was. Gonna have to do better than that.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #332 on: October 18, 2013, 01:48:37 PM »

Once I read this:
“The leadership of many local new calendar Churches that is, bishops, other clergy, theologians, etc. have been overcome by Masonry.”
I knew what this thing was. Gonna have to do better than that.
I think the statement you quoted is too vague and is misleading, as if New Calendar bishops, clergy, and theologians were very often Masons, when in fact only certain individuals would be. Yet how is one to say that is never the case? What about the photograph?

A reliable website, the Greek Archdiocese's, relates a curious story about Gerasimos Papadopoulos: Bishop of Abydos, The Wise Abba of America. It says that in 1934,
an unexpected and inexplicable event troubled his peaceful monastic life. Someone, whose name he never learned, sent him a copy of the periodical Anaplasis, which had a commentary on the position of the Professors of the School of Theology at the University of Athens regarding the Order of Masons. Their position was neither for nor against. But it sparked tremendous questions in the spirit of the young monk, who did not have the necessary education to judge for himself. There was no qualified person to help him with the agonizing question, nor could he find one. He was pondering over this issue day and night, wondering why the professors spoke the way they did. He wondered what Masonry is and what influence it had upon the Church. Since he could not find an answer, he thought of going "out into the world" - as the monks of the Holy Mountain say - in order to find appropriate people, to ask them, to have things explained to him.
http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith8175
What does it mean that it sparked the monk's interest, and why does the author say that there was no one at the monastery to answer about it? Why did he go "out into the world" to find the answer, and what did he do there? The article does not give the result of his inquiries about it either.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:59:01 PM by rakovsky » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #333 on: October 18, 2013, 02:04:21 PM »

Aren't masons among Old Calendar bishops too?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #334 on: October 18, 2013, 04:14:52 PM »

Just about the least interesting topic , in my mind , that has been discussed to tears.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #335 on: October 19, 2013, 11:46:06 AM »

Freemasons are bogeymen and they control the world.  It just happens that the majority of them were initiated in the 1950s and '60s.  Old men wearing aprons spook me.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #336 on: October 19, 2013, 01:40:19 PM »

hecma925,

In America I assume is largely older people, but perhaps there is a different situation in some other countries? As to the issue of bishops, are two articles you can read in Russian claiming Masonic activity by bishops in the Bulgarian Church.

The first says that Bulgarian Orthodox made a petition saying "Bishop Paul of Levkiysk and Metropoliatn Galaktion of Stara Zagora are Masons who even organized in 2009 an 'Annual Council of Knights Templars' in Stara Zagora." The article mentions a Masonic funeral in a Bulgarian church.
http://ruskline.ru/news_rl/2010/06/04/cel_masonstva_unichtozhenie_pravoslaviya/

"On October 4 in Stara-Zagora in the hotel "Vereya" there was a Council (dukhovniy sobor) of Bulgarian Templars. In the work of the Council 180 Templars participated, and also a large number of Orthodox priests."

http://ruskline.ru/monitoring_smi/2010/02/04/vnimanie_iniciirovana_ocherednaya_provokaciya_protiv_rpc

Why there would be such an interest in modern Bulgaria in Templars, in case it is true, escapes me.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:42:33 PM by rakovsky » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #337 on: October 19, 2013, 06:08:06 PM »

Templars were the original international bankers and the legend was they found something of import during the Crusades in Jerusalem.  I think by claiming and identifying with the title is a way to "capture" that lost historical power.  Which is why the Templars is an order within Freemasonry.  All Templars are Mason, not all Masons are Templars.

There is somewhat of a revival in some Grand Lodges.  A lot of young men that had grandfathers in the Blue Lodges are finding it appealing to have that brotherhood and networking.  But it's not widespread.  For the most part, in my region, most lodges are older men.  Prince Hall Mason lodges, OTOH, always have young men coming in.

I do not know about other Grand Lodges in other countries.  Perhaps someone can share knowledge as to what kind of age composition we're looking at in other countries?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:09:49 PM by hecma925 » Logged

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: