OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 08:17:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very controversial, Orthodox Freemasons  (Read 13519 times) Average Rating: 0
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #270 on: September 13, 2013, 10:45:52 PM »

FYI, just so everyone knows, I actually got expelled from masonry about three years ago for arguing too strongly (and on a blog, no less!) that the Christianity in Masonry was critically important to it.
That's strange. You got expelled for arguing something on an internet blog someplace?
Your argument doesn't seem baseless if it's a requirement for part of the York Rite.

That requirement seems strange to me, except that I have the feeling it was added later in the 19th century, since that's when some parts of the York Rite Royal Arch were added.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #271 on: September 13, 2013, 11:29:16 PM »

FYI, just so everyone knows, I actually got expelled from masonry about three years ago for arguing too strongly (and on a blog, no less!) that the Christianity in Masonry was critically important to it.
That's strange. You got expelled for arguing something on an internet blog someplace?
Your argument doesn't seem baseless if it's a requirement for part of the York Rite.

That requirement seems strange to me, except that I have the feeling it was added later in the 19th century, since that's when some parts of the York Rite Royal Arch were added.

I don't find the requirement of being a Christian strange if one were to try to become a Templar (which is just a part of the York Rite here in the States, I believe it is its own entity elsewhere in the world). I mean, could you imagine a Muslim trying to become a Templar?

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #272 on: September 14, 2013, 01:45:52 AM »

Back in the day, the Square Club was a big deal in many areas.... it was viewed back then as a means to show the Protestant small town ruling class that the Orthodox  really weren't  a weird secret sect, what with all that incense and pictures on the church walls and stuff.... Wink

You know what's ironic? That Pope Francis told professional soccer players "people follow your example and you have a social responsibility"

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #273 on: September 14, 2013, 07:13:50 PM »

FYI, jus :)t so everyone knows, I actually got expelled from masonry about three years ago for arguing too strongly (and on a blog, no less!) that the Christianity in Masonry was critically important to it.

Like Groucho Marx is reputed to have once observed, "I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as one of its members.”   Smiley
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #274 on: September 14, 2013, 07:34:20 PM »

Username,

You wrote:
It's fun really, and I don't care what anyone says.  Unless you've been through degree rituals you wouldn't understand.  No one gets hurt.  
Unfortunately, I learned this is not necessarily true, depending on the group. The History Channel had an interview with a Mason explaining where the term "getting the 3rd degree" comes from. Previously I thought this was just a vague allegation by detractors. The program was not specific, but it sounded from the program like the lodge members beat the person up.

The History Channel? Home of "Ancient Aliens", "Nostradamus 2012" and "UFO Hunters"? And you find them credible because ... ?  Huh

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #275 on: September 14, 2013, 11:20:36 PM »

Username,

You wrote:
It's fun really, and I don't care what anyone says.  Unless you've been through degree rituals you wouldn't understand.  No one gets hurt.  
Unfortunately, I learned this is not necessarily true, depending on the group. The History Channel had an interview with a Mason explaining where the term "getting the 3rd degree" comes from. Previously I thought this was just a vague allegation by detractors. The program was not specific, but it sounded from the program like the lodge members beat the person up.

The History Channel? Home of "Ancient Aliens", "Nostradamus 2012" and "UFO Hunters"? And you find them credible because ... ?  Huh
Because the person interviewed on camera was the editor of a leading Masonic magazine.

If the History Channel interviewed Nostradamus or a UFO Hunter, they could also be credible if talking about themselves. It does not mean you have to believe them, but they would be something to point to at least.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:21:44 PM by rakovsky » Logged
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #276 on: September 15, 2013, 03:08:02 PM »

Username,

You wrote:

The History Channel? Home of "Ancient Aliens", "Nostradamus 2012" and "UFO Hunters"? And you find them credible because ... ?  Huh
Because the person interviewed on camera was the editor of a leading Masonic magazine.

If the History Channel interviewed Nostradamus or a UFO Hunter, they could also be credible if talking about themselves. It does not mean you have to believe them, but they would be something to point to at least.

So, you don't trust a Mason that does not reveal secrets, despite their oaths against such things, but you trust a Mason that does reveal secrets despite taking an oath not to?

Who really is the most trustworthy here?

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #277 on: September 15, 2013, 04:51:57 PM »

Please stop.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #278 on: September 15, 2013, 06:15:42 PM »

Please stop.
It was and probably is still common for fraternities to haze new members in college with excessive pranks, beating with wooden boards, etc. so it shouldn't be a complete surprise that it reflects a part of the Freemasons' third degree.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #279 on: September 15, 2013, 07:01:44 PM »

There is no hazing in the Blue Lodge 3rd degree. Anyone that said there was is lying. Could this thread be done now? So much disinformation. If you really REALLY want to know what they do, how about joining a Lodge?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #280 on: September 15, 2013, 07:29:58 PM »

Please stop.
It was and probably is still common for fraternities to haze new members in college with excessive pranks, beating with wooden boards, etc. so it shouldn't be a complete surprise that it reflects a part of the Freemasons' third degree.

I thought "third degree" meant the seriousness of a burn or bruise injury.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #281 on: September 16, 2013, 08:42:39 AM »

Any time I hear someone talking about the nefarious freemasons and their plans to turn the world over to Satan, I just assume said individual has an IQ sub 80.

Next topic:
How the reptilians are taking over the world and turning us all into believers of their secret reptilian sect.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #282 on: September 16, 2013, 08:46:22 AM »

Any time I hear someone talking about the nefarious freemasons and their plans to turn the world over to Satan, I just assume said individual has an IQ sub 80.

Next topic:
How the reptilians are taking over the world and turning us all into believers of their secret reptilian sect.

Pray tell, what is the symbolism behind the hood?  Of what need do reptilians need hoods?  Is it similar to the apron?  Huh Huh Huh

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #283 on: September 16, 2013, 08:49:10 AM »

Little known fact:  They have ears that are 3 ft long.  If they did not wear a hood, they would stick up high into the air.  Very hard to blend in with the local populace.  That is why anytime you see someone wearing a hood, you should assume they are reptilian.  Why do you think George Zimmerman was fighting to defend our planet?

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #284 on: September 16, 2013, 08:59:44 AM »

Little known fact:  They have ears that are 3 ft long.  If they did not wear a hood, they would stick up high into the air.  Very hard to blend in with the local populace.  That is why anytime you see someone wearing a hood, you should assume they are reptilian.  Why do you think George Zimmerman was fighting to defend our planet?

I'm shocked that this was not brought up during the trial.  Are these reptilians from outer space or from the core of the Earth?

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #285 on: September 16, 2013, 09:02:16 AM »

Little known fact:  They have ears that are 3 ft long.  If they did not wear a hood, they would stick up high into the air.  Very hard to blend in with the local populace.  That is why anytime you see someone wearing a hood, you should assume they are reptilian.  Why do you think George Zimmerman was fighting to defend our planet?

I'm shocked that this was not brought up during the trial.  Are these reptilians from outer space or from the core of the Earth?
It is my understanding that they are from another galaxy, but came here before humans and buried deep into the earth.  They come up every so often to see how their nefarious plans are going. Their gateways are Masonic lodges.  I guess you could say they come from both.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:02:49 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #286 on: September 16, 2013, 09:05:13 AM »

Little known fact:  They have ears that are 3 ft long.  If they did not wear a hood, they would stick up high into the air.  Very hard to blend in with the local populace.  That is why anytime you see someone wearing a hood, you should assume they are reptilian.  Why do you think George Zimmerman was fighting to defend our planet?

I'm shocked that this was not brought up during the trial.  Are these reptilians from outer space or from the core of the Earth?
It is my understanding that they are from another galaxy, but came here before humans and buried deep into the earth.  They come up every so often to see how their nefarious plans are going. Their gateways are Masonic lodges.  I guess you could say they come from both.

I see what you're saying.  So the many orders in Freemasonry (including other lodges, i.e. Oddfellows, Elks, etc.) are the different reptilian classes/clans?  This is a real eye-opener.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #287 on: September 16, 2013, 09:08:13 AM »

I see what you're saying.  So the many orders in Freemasonry (including other lodges, i.e. Oddfellows, Elks, etc.) are the different reptilian classes/clans?  This is a real eye-opener.
Shhhh!!! Not so loud, you have probably just been marked for termination just by delving into these arcane secrets.  I shouldn't have involved you.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #288 on: September 16, 2013, 09:10:46 AM »

Shhhh!!! Not so loud, you have probably just been marked for termination just by delving into these arcane secrets.  I shouldn't have involved you.
  That explains the wrecking ball coming through my wall.  BRB, I'm about to get into an international mystery game of cat and mouse, and will be on the run for the next 72 hours.   Hopefully, some hot babe will help me out along the way.  i'm sure it will happen.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #289 on: September 16, 2013, 09:16:02 AM »

I'm sending my secret agent to assist you. If she asks you if the cat has jumped over the chair, just respond by saying the mouse is green.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #290 on: September 16, 2013, 09:20:09 AM »

I'm sending my secret agent to assist you. If she asks you if the cat has jumped over the chair, just respond by saying the mouse is green.

Tell her I'll meet her at that bistro in Saint-Saturnin-Les-Apt, near that one store.  I'm sure she knows.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #291 on: September 16, 2013, 09:48:43 AM »

She must be an iconoclast: every time I see her in this thread, she's aiming a gun at Christ or St Seraphim.  Too bad. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #292 on: September 16, 2013, 09:51:25 AM »

Better?   laugh

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #293 on: September 16, 2013, 09:54:41 AM »

MUCH BETTER!!

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #294 on: September 16, 2013, 10:24:25 AM »

I see what you're saying.  So the many orders in Freemasonry (including other lodges, i.e. Oddfellows, Elks, etc.)...

The Odd Fellows are linked, so to speak, with Freemasonry, but they are not the same. Elks and other fraternities have NOTHING to do with Blue Lodge Masonry folks!
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #295 on: September 16, 2013, 10:26:26 AM »

I see what you're saying.  So the many orders in Freemasonry (including other lodges, i.e. Oddfellows, Elks, etc.)...

The Odd Fellows are linked, so to speak, with Freemasonry, but they are not the same. Elks and other fraternities have NOTHING to do with Blue Lodge Masonry folks!
Quiet everyone!  We are being infiltrated by a Reptilian.  Phasers, set to stun.  Let's see if we can take this one alive.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #296 on: September 16, 2013, 10:27:50 AM »

Quiet everyone!  We are being infiltrated by a Reptilian.  Phasers, set to stun.  Let's see if we can take this one alive.

I got your six. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Nikolaos Greek
Last among equals

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Greece

« Reply #297 on: September 20, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »

You believe in reptilians?

God is Love.
Ό Θεός ἀγάπη ἐστί.
There is no luck, there is no fate. There are always two ways. One is God's and one is devil's. And in each step of your life you have to pick one, always.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #298 on: September 20, 2013, 02:28:12 PM »

Quiet.  There's another one.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #299 on: September 20, 2013, 02:31:28 PM »

Quiet.  There's another one.

Typing smaller won't work. They can see your words through their sense of smell.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #300 on: September 20, 2013, 02:34:11 PM »

Why are you screaming???  Are you trying to get us killed?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #301 on: September 20, 2013, 02:41:02 PM »

Why are you screaming???  Are you trying to get us killed?

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #302 on: September 20, 2013, 02:47:16 PM »

STOP STARING AT ME

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #303 on: September 20, 2013, 02:50:02 PM »

STOP STARING AT ME

And after I took all that time using a machete to cut down that thicket I was growing in my nose, just to make myself presentable. Humph!
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #304 on: September 20, 2013, 02:52:52 PM »

Is it me, or has almost every thread as of late degenerated into complete absurdity, while totally derailing at the same time? Don't we have Random Postings for a reason?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #305 on: September 20, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »

Is it me, or has almost every thread as of late degenerated into complete absurdity, while totally derailing at the same time? Don't we have Random Postings for a reason?

You can't make a thread any more absurd when the very topic of the thread is the most absurd thing imaginable.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:56:42 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #306 on: September 20, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »

LOL.  Actually, I agree with you.  I like absurdity as much as anyone else here, but some of the recent stuff is like exhuming someone's body and laying it on the ground just to resume kicking him while he's down.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #307 on: September 20, 2013, 03:06:18 PM »

I don't find the requirement of being a Christian strange if one were to try to become a Templar (which is just a part of the York Rite here in the States, I believe it is its own entity elsewhere in the world). I mean, could you imagine a Muslim trying to become a Templar?

While technically both York Rite and Scottish Rite Shriners must be Masons, the Shrine is not a recognized, or legal part of Freemasonry. Masons have three degrees, period. Degrees 4 - 33 are Shriners. True, Masons must be Christian to enter the Shriners through the York Rite. Jews and Muslims take the Scottish Rite in.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #308 on: September 20, 2013, 03:24:50 PM »

On the outside it looks like those are Byzantine double headed eagles, but the meaning is that they are phoenixes. What do the columns mean on either side of it though on their website?

The American Serbian Eastern Rite Brothers (ASERB) are Americans of Serbian descent who are members of the ancient fraternity of Free and Accepted Masons. The ASERB organization was formed in 1963 and is comprised predominately of Serbian-American Masons living in the tri-state area of Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia. There are currently over 250 active ASERB members, however, Serbian membership in Freemasonry goes well back into the 1800's.

In addition to promoting Masonic fellowship among its members, the main objective of the ASERB is to provide college scholarships for graduating high school seniors who attend any one of 17 different Serbian Eastern Orthodox Churches in the tri-state area.
http://www.pagrandlodge.org/aserb/ASERB-WhoWeAre.html
How many people belong to Serbian Churches in the tri state area? 2500? So this is claiming 10% are Masons?

About Yugoslavia it says:
It was in the second half of the 18th century that Freemasonry sprang into existence in that country. Among the foreign travelers to the Balkans were many Freemasons, who erected Lodges in Belgrade, Bucharest, Athens, and Widdon. On of the most important members of the Belgrade Lodge was Mustapha Pasha, the Governor-General of the Serbs, who was so humane to the depressed Serbs that he is cited in their national poems as Mustapha Pasha, the parent of the Serbs.

This lodge followed its benefit work up to 1862, when Prince Michael Obrenovich became ruler of Serbia. Various signs give reason to believe that he himself was a Freemason. During his short reign he planned the distribution of European Turkey among the Serbs, Greeks, Rumanians, and Montenegrins. This plan, which is noteworthy in the history of the Balkan Peninsula; is so much more so because it was the work of the Freemasons. Prince Michael Obrenovich, a man of rare energy; patriot in the strictest sense of the word, was convinced that the liberation of the Christians from under the Turkish yolk could only be effected thru a joint action of all nations in this liberation, and he, therefore obtained the consent of all the other rulers in the Balkans. Besides this, Prince Michael was in rather close connection with these notable Freemasons, Garibaldi and Mazzini, who both considered this as a good idea and promised to assist Prince Michael with numerous volunteers. Not only his connections with these well-known Freemasons, but also his general actions show that he must have been a member of the Craft.
http://www.pagrandlodge.org/aserb/ASERB-History.html
It is interesting. Freemasons played a leading role in freeing Greece from the Turks, and there were many lodges in France at the time of their revolution, and here it mentions their role in Serbia's and Italy's revolutions. Plus, we know they played a leading role in the American revolution too.

I like countries making democracy and freeing them from Turkish rule, but why would the freemasons in particular be the springboard for this?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 03:29:56 PM by rakovsky » Logged
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #309 on: September 20, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »

LOL.  Actually, I agree with you.  I like absurdity as much as anyone else here, but some of the recent stuff is like exhuming someone's body and laying it on the ground just to resume kicking him while he's down.

How did you know that is my favorite hobby?!

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #310 on: September 20, 2013, 04:40:54 PM »

On the outside it looks like those are Byzantine double headed eagles, but the meaning is that they are phoenixes. What do the columns mean on either side of it though on their website?

The two columns in Freemasonry stand for the columns in Solomon's temple representing strength and wisdom.  One is named Boaz and the other Jachin.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:41:12 PM by hecma925 » Logged

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »

The two columns in Freemasonry stand for the columns in Solomon's temple representing strength and wisdom.  One is named Boaz and the other Jachin.
That's right. What is the Zodiac there for?

Also, the Masons say that they have meanings behind meanings in their symbols.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #312 on: September 20, 2013, 04:57:49 PM »

Sometimes it's globes.  I would think it represents the universality of Freemasonry as well as being rooted in the secrecy that the sciences used to operate under like astronomy (think Copernicus/Galileo).  I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that though.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:58:29 PM by hecma925 » Logged

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #313 on: September 20, 2013, 05:13:26 PM »

How did you know that is my favorite hobby?!

Because I've lived in Pennsylvania, I know just how bored one can get.  Tongue

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #314 on: September 20, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »

People complain about being bored and having nothing to do wherever they live. Even people I've known in places like San Diego complain about how they have nothing to do where they live. Jeez, get a hobby  Cool
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: