OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 06:10:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Q on Sirach 39:5  (Read 404 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: January 29, 2012, 06:11:53 AM »

I flipped to Wisdom of Sirach in my Orthodox Study Bible. In Sirach 39, we read about how different is the man who devotes himself to the study of the law of the Most High. Verse 5 reads:

He will give his heart to rising early
Before the Lord who created him,
And will make supplication to the Most High;
And he will open his mouth in prayer
And make supplication for his sins.

Does this mean basically that he gets up early to pray?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:12:10 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 01:12:21 PM »

That would seem to be the meaning, yeah. Fwiw, here are a couple other translations:

"His care is to rise early to seek the Lord his Maker, to petition the Most High, To open his mouth in prayer, to ask pardon for his sins." (NAB--Revised Edition)

"He will give his heart to resort early to the Lord that made him, and he will pray in the sight of the most High. He will open his mouth in prayer, and will make supplication for his sins." (Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition)

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 04:34:52 PM »

Does that mean that God wants us to be morning people or just that it should be the first thing we do each day?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:36:42 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 05:28:14 PM »

Does that mean that God wants us to be morning people or just that it should be the first thing we do each day?

I think it just means to talk about a certain way of doing things, but not the only way. There are other passages and prayers that talk about praying in the middle of the night or midnight, and some which speak of doing it according to the appointed hours of prayer (9am, 12 noon, etc.)   It's really about what works best in your own spiritual life, I think...

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 06:34:09 PM »

Thank you.

quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 07:54:50 PM »

Anastasia - when I read the Psalms, King David references several times how he rises early to pray - or he remembers the Lord even on his bed any time he wakes up through the night or when he first wakes up for the day.  

Asteriktos is right - I don't think this is a law of some sort stating you should get up early to pray - but more of a frame work of where your heart is. . .do you drag yourself to prayer or do you go to bed at night and know you'll miss Him while you sleep and can't wait to be in His presence in prayer as SOON as you are able?  

When my children were small - being able to pray meant sometime around lunch time, as this was the first opportunity I could actually pray with out interruption. . .and how I cherished that time, from the first moment. . . that was my morning.  

Another way to look at is in petitions - "Ok, I know this is important, let's call the doctor first thing in the morning."  Ever hear your mom say that?  It's not a crisis, you don't need to go to the emergency room, but it' is a high priority and the doctor needs to be first on the list for phone calls because this need does need to have care as soon as possible.  So in petitions, its a matter of knowing that it's a high priority that takes the 'first call in the morning' to our God.

It's a two way relationship.  In Psalm 5 - King David says that in the morning God hears his voice. . .so he prays in the morning.  

But, as Asteriktos said, it's not a thing that has to be done at a certain time. . .it's a 'first fruit', if you will, the moment you are aware you've had some time without Him in conscious thought - just like you would miss a lover for a time of separation. . . and knowing that the same is returned - as He hears us when we come to him with that longing.  So it's a heart tone more than a heart 'time'.  

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 07:56:33 PM by quietmorning » Logged
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 08:07:51 PM »

"From the morning watch even until night, let Israel hope in the Lord." Psalm 130

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: