OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 02:21:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books for an agnostic  (Read 674 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« on: November 16, 2011, 09:21:58 PM »

If you had to recommend one Christian book to someone battling agnosticism, what would it be?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:33:02 PM »

The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality
by Kyriacos C. Markides

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 10:34:32 PM »

I think a bit more on the person's background, e.g. familiar with real Christianity, Orthodoxy or not, would be helpful for a sound recommendation.

That said, I still think C.S. Lewis' works like the Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity, Problem of Pain, and the Great Divorce (all can be found in one book) present a helpful, generic Christian perspective.  Is it high theology? Certainly not, but I get the feeling that people who demand exhaustively rigorous theology to shore up their faith may be in trouble.

St. Athanasius' On The Incarnation may be helpful.

Looking forward to additional suggestions.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:35:50 PM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 10:42:25 PM »

Perhaps, William, you could share with us what specifically you are struggling with? People become agnostics or atheists for divergent reasons. I personally for a long time struggled with materialism. Reading William Blake of all people did the most to help me out of it, but Blake is so not Orthodox that I'm not sure I can recommend him to everyone.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 10:22:41 AM »

I think a bit more on the person's background, e.g. familiar with real Christianity, Orthodoxy or not, would be helpful for a sound recommendation.

That said, I still think C.S. Lewis' works like the Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity, Problem of Pain, and the Great Divorce (all can be found in one book) present a helpful, generic Christian perspective.  Is it high theology? Certainly not, but I get the feeling that people who demand exhaustively rigorous theology to shore up their faith may be in trouble.

St. Athanasius' On The Incarnation may be helpful.

Looking forward to additional suggestions.
You may want to add C.S. Lewis' "Miracles" to the list.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 06:19:34 PM »

His mother is a very religious Catholic and he's been raised Catholic all his life. He doesn't identify with Catholicism anymore mostly because of a "lack of proof" and, I think, the traditional Christian teaching on homosexuality.
Perhaps, William, you could share with us what specifically you are struggling with? People become agnostics or atheists for divergent reasons. I personally for a long time struggled with materialism. Reading William Blake of all people did the most to help me out of it, but Blake is so not Orthodox that I'm not sure I can recommend him to everyone.
It isn't me.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 09:01:20 PM »

One way to battle agnositicsm is to read books written by the best agnostics, like Robert Ingersoll.

Still, Ingersoll did not embrace atheism, or belief in no God, and he was quick to explain why. "I do not deny," he writes in the essay, published three years before his death at age 66. "I do not know." Despite vehemently rejecting Christianity, then, he did not close the door on religious belief. Instead, like many other agnostics at the time -- including Leslie Stephen, George Eliot, Herbert Spencer, Charles Darwin and Thomas Huxley (who coined the term agnostic three decades earlier, in 1869) -- he thought belief should rest on evidence, not faith, but also that evidence itself was in some key instances wanting.

That stance irks absolutists on either side who have come to consider agnosticism as spineless and wishy-washy, and agnostics as people who can't or won't make up their minds. According to Quentin de la Bédoyère, science editor of the Catholic Herald, for example, the Catholic historian Hugh Ross Williamson respected firm religious belief and certain unbelief, but "reserved his contempt for the wishy-washy boneless mediocrities who flapped around in the middle." Richard Dawkins not only repeats the same line in his recent book, The God Delusion, but prefaces it with similar invective from a "robust Muscular Christian" preacher of his schooldays, for whom agnostics were "namby-pamby, mushy pap, weak tea, weedy, pallid fence-sitters."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:02:10 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 09:04:15 PM »

Handbook of Christian Apologetics - Peter Kreeft

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 09:24:38 PM »

Fr. John Romanides' Patristic Theology. This books covers such a wide variety of topics, that I typically recommend it to every single person, no matter the situation. In the case of agnosticism, Fr. John's witness to noetic prayer is especially powerful.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:28:01 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Isadore

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Mediterranean

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 09:30:08 PM »

It depends on how cynical the agnostic is. "The Brothers Karamazov" is always a powerful read and proof of Orthodox Christianity's influence in every day life.

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 09:31:10 PM »

This one.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 10:16:21 PM »

The author of that will actually be speaking at my parish in late February.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 10:40:10 PM »

If you had to recommend one Christian book to someone battling agnosticism, what would it be?

Sayings of the Desert Fathers

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 11:05:13 PM »

Climacus Conference?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 11:09:18 PM »

Yep.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: