OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 02:06:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheeler Banned  (Read 2768 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: September 23, 2004, 08:41:51 PM »

I banned Wheeler in consulation with Phil (Mor Ephrem). Since Wheeler takes pride in masculinity I won't bother coming up with any PC reasons.  We just decided to take him out since he was so out there.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 08:59:34 PM »

I guess that it was for the best that my browser choked and died on me in the middle of a reply to Wheeler.  I was flat out declaring non-recognition of any authority or "Truth" in his fulminations.  A character flaw on my part, perhaps, but there you are.   Wink

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 10:05:49 PM »

Banned for what? For quoting scripture? For being non-PC?
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 10:13:14 PM »

Banned for what? For quoting scripture? For being non-PC?

For being a troll.  Good riddance.  May God have mercy on his soul (and ours).
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 10:19:37 PM »

For being a troll.

Please don;t use that word! Next thing you know some geek will be referencing LOTR again!  Grin
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 10:43:20 PM »

Phil and I banned him for being rude, and pushing an agenda.  He was detracting from the general flow of the board and it was annoying.

Welcome back, Tom!

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 10:45:47 PM »

Was he banned just becuse his ideas are not in the majority here?? I don't think I saw him insult anyone personally. I read some of his post & disagreed with him on some things, but I'll admit he did have some good points also. I sure hope I'm not next because I'm sure I bug some people here, especially the leftist  Cheesy....

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 10:48:39 PM »

Was he banned just becuse his ideas are not in the majority here?? I don't think I saw him insult anyone personally. I read some of his post & disagreed with him on some things, but I'll admit he did have some good points also. I sure hope I'm not next because I'm sure I bug some people here, especially the leftist  Cheesy....

We tolerate a lot.  But Wheeler was offending our women, our Church, and being over the top.  If an Amway salesman came to our site and pushed his product, while it would not be "offensive" it would be overly pushy and hence we might ban him too.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 10:54:28 PM »

We tolerate a lot.  But Wheeler was offending our women, our Church, and being over the top.  If an Amway salesman came to our site and pushed his product, while it would not be "offensive" it would be overly pushy and hence we might ban him too.

Ohhhh wow, I didn't know that. I didn't read all the post so I wasn't aware that was going on.......

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 11:42:04 PM »

Well, Nacho, some of my ideas aren't in the majority here (being Anglican and a G.H. and all) but the Admins haven't banned me yet.    Then again, I don't think you or I have ever come here presenting ourselves as God's Gift to the Benighted Fora, the Speaker of All Truth(TM) and Definer of What Human Beings Are or Ought to Be. Rudely trumpeted an opinion, declaring that it is the Truth and treating anyone who didn't agree with me as a lesser life form. (At least I *hope* not.  If I ever do, a board up side the head should be applied.  

Take some of the bald assertions about women for example and change the noun. If someone new came here and started to fulminate at length about "Men are natural slaves" "Men are weaker then women." some people here, understandably, would not accept this dictate.      

You say he had some points.  Well, maybe we can discuss any that you found.  It'll be a good sight more productive as you can discuss, not use a verbal bludgeon of posts as long as my arm to take up space, but that don't have clear points.  And you are not adverse to explaining yourself in order to be more clear. Otoh, I don't recognize Plato, Socrates or Aristotle as the be-all and end-all of social opinions.  And it's not any aversion to "reading Dead White Guys"; I just don't accept patterning all humanity on one plan of life.  

Sorry if this is rambly,  I'm tired

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 11:46:03 PM »

"While we do the utmost to protect your privacy, Administrators may at any moment monitor your forum activity, including posts and instant messages. If deemed inappropiate, they may be deleted and you may be banned. As a guest on our system, we reserve the right to do this without cause or notification."

This is from the registration agreement everyone on this forum agreed to when registering (emphasis mine).
As on every other forum I've taken part in, the Administrators must make a judgement call re: when to ban someone. If two moderators talked it over and came to the same conclusion, I think it was done fairly. This forum tolerates much more dissent and variety of viewpoint then most religious forums.  Case in point: I was banned from a Catholic site for suggesting that Christian pro-life org's should work more closely with secular and non-Christian pro-life groups. No warning, one moderator banned me with no discussion.  I think things are handled fairly here.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 11:48:09 PM by Crucifer » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
gphadraig

OC.net

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2004, 06:32:20 AM »

I agree with the administrators action and the reasons given......................

Age is honourable and youth noble
Strelets
Стрелец
Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 04:35:27 PM »

Anastasios,

Just wanted to say you've been an awesome moderator and the rapid-fire de-licing of the boards before they mutate out of control is great.  Keep up the fair and balanced work.

"The creed is very simple, and here is what it is: to believe that there is nothing more beautiful, more courageous, and more perfect than Christ; and there not only isn't, but I tell myself with a jealous love, there cannot be." ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2004, 08:40:50 PM »

I appreciate the kind words.  I wouldn't be able to serve you all without the help of my fellow admins and mods though Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: