OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 02:04:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgical language of the Armenian Orthodox Church  (Read 422 times) Average Rating: 0
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« on: March 02, 2012, 07:33:40 AM »

As I mentioned in the topic, I have question for our Armenian brothers. I know that you use in the Liturgy Grabar, which is very old version of modern Armenian language. Is it understood by laity? I've herad that in some parishes people have books with translations. How much is Grabar diffrent from modern language? I know only that in Grabar there are 2 less letters. Can be this situation comparated with Greek koine and modern Greek or Church-Slavonic and e.g. Russian or Bulgarian? I suppose that not only prayers and hymns, but also liturgical readings from Bible are done in Grabar?
And I have also a request: could you post (or give a link) for the same prayer in Grabar and in the modern Armenian? I found only translations to English.
 Thank you in advance

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:34:04 PM »

i have only been once to armenian morning prayers, so am not an expert! but i have heard most people can't understand the liturgy unless the grew up in the church and got used to it. i think if an armenian person just walked in who was not used to going to church, he would not understand.
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 05:23:40 AM »

The liturgical language of the Armenian Church is Classical Armenian.

Picture it like this:
Classical Armenian - Modern Armenian
Koine Greek - Modern Greek
Latin - Italian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_Armenian

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: