OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 12:43:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baptism Question  (Read 277 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: January 26, 2012, 05:39:25 PM »

I had a question about Baptism, being a catechumen. How come the Orthodox Church will Baptise infants even though they are incapable of making a decision. (I have no problem with this, I left that Protestant doubt behind a long time ago) But, when a convert comes into the Church (Like me) we have to spend 1-3 years preparing to show that we really want it before we can be Baptised? It seems kind of odd and unfair to me in a way. It is like we allow infants to get Baptised, but when a convert gets Baptised we practically make it into a 'Believer's Baptism' process by making us prepare for such a long time. I was wondering if anyone had any insight or answers.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 05:58:51 PM »

One of the first things my Priest said to me as he was preparing me for baptism was: "Are you sure you want to do this? This is a life-time commitment and if you leave the Church after you're Orthodox, you're soul is damnable, because you will belong to Christ and if you turn your back on him, it's like a slap in the face."

So someone that just gets baptized after attending services for the span of a few months might not be properly brought up or know what they need to to "stay in the race" or not do harm to himself for leaving after deciding it's not what they wanted. Infants have the advantage of being raised in an Orthodox household. Their family is already Orthodox, so (theoretically) they aren't going to run away from it.

Just my opinion without getting into any theological aspects of infant baptism.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:02:52 PM by Manalive » Logged

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 07:10:15 PM »

An infant comes willing and prepared to be taught. An older person almost always needs to be "untaught". It is that process which can be especially difficult, to become, as far as is reasonably possible, an infant again without preconceptions.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 07:33:25 PM »

Infant baptism was most commonly practiced in thoroughly-Christianized cultures.

Even in the time of St. John Chrysostom, baptism was often postponed in places with a larger pagan presence (St. John Chrysostom himself was not baptized as an infant).

I think the Church needs to pastorally re-examine the possibility of decreasing infant baptism in re-paganized cultures. Who knows? Just pondering here.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: