OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 05:59:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Anthony the Great: A Concise Biography  (Read 326 times) Average Rating: 0
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »

Amazon has a biography of St. Anthony the Great for $0.99 (for the Kindle version). Has anyone read it? Is it good?

- Jade (GTA)

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 11:34:39 PM »

The Life of St. Anthony, by St. Athanasius, is also available on kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/St-Athanasius-Life-Anthony-ebook/dp/B003ES5RP8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1327635025&sr=1-1

It's also available on Nook, but I haven't downloaded it yet.  I should do that.

mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 03:06:53 PM »

i don't know about the first one, but the life of saint anthony by saint athanasius is one amazing book and a testimony to God's work in the lives of these 2 Godly men who gave themselves to God's service, suffering great hardships.
saint anthony is one of the great fathers of monasticism and saint athanasius was a deacon at the council of nicea in 325AD (i think it is the right date). he was ordained a priest and diligently rebuked arius for his heresy and proved to all present how wrong that was.
later he became patriarch of the coptic church (then just the 'orthodox church of alexandria') and suffered a lot from the hands of the roman empire.

all through his suffering and running for his life, he never ceased to write tirelessly to encourage his church to remain true to the faith. he eventually died in exile, although later the church enjoyed more peaceful times. he was very humble and never left the principles of monasticism, prayer and fasting that he learnt at the feet of saint anthony; his spiritual father when he was a young monk in the desert. the relationship between them continued throughout saint anthony's life, as the aged father came down out of the desert on several occasions to assist and encourage the patriarch.

(source: iris habib al masry's book on coptic history which i am reading at the moment)
Tags: St. Anthony the Great  biography  amazon  kindle e-books St. Antony 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: