OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 06:02:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whores will enter the kingdom of heaven befopre CEO's  (Read 3842 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2012, 06:05:19 PM »

laugh That conditional love so prevalent on this thread?
Careful now.  A fall off that high horse can make quite a thud.

"Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." Not "approves all things," nor "legitimizes all things."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2012, 06:12:26 PM »

You are a typical case in the conservative camp: your living on food-stamps is somehow justified since you were not lacking in all sorts of personal virtues that so many other put there-I would venture to say, of a different color than you, perhaps a different language- lack. So, you deserved a bit of support from the state because  you were industrious (virtuous), while those others  are worthy vessels of conservative wrath since they are "lazy" (lacking in virtue). A certain parable from a certain book comes to mind...
Yep, he who does not work, does not eat.

I did not "deserve" anything. I dont "deserve" anything. I asked the pull from the well that I have put something into, and it was approved. While pulling from that well, I still put something in it. I did not want anyone else to feed my family but me, so as soon as I could, I got off of it. im not surprised that you have a problem with that. Nor am I surprised that you would hurl your smug and superior bolts at me from on high.

PP

If you don't deserve anything, can I have back all the taxes I've paid over the years which benefit other people?
Im not the one to as. However, I was simply stating that I dont have a "I deserve this or that" attitude. I asked for help, and got it.

PP

I'm sure I've paid for the interstate highways and the protection of the military. Since nobody ever asks me if I want to do that, I'll expect my money soon.
I hear they are paying out by amount, so the 1% who pay 36.73% of the taxes for the Federal tab (while earning 16.9% of the adjusted gross income) will be pain first.  Given that the Federal Government is broke for Lord knows how long in the future, you're going to have a long wait, the very opposite of "soon."

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/250.html

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2012, 06:25:49 PM »

Oh, by the way, here's the connection: this thread really isn't off track at all. If gay people are taxed as much as straight people, yet they do not receive all the legal rights that straight people receive, are gay people not being subject to taxation without representation, as well as a lack of equal justice under the law?

This is not just a marriage issue.
But the those pushing it tell us it is a "private matter."

Gay couples do not form households geared to the perpetuation of society (neither do heterosexual shack-ups, which is why common law marriage is not federally recognized (only if one is in a state that recognizes and enforces it as a marriage contract)), the basis of legal recognition and support for marriage (and yes, in history childless couples have been penalized, something Griswold affected, but not done away with:witness the deductions per child).

While we are at it, why don't we first deal with something large and widespread on tax equity:the divorce court.  Parents have large percentages of their of their income taken before they receive it, and yet they not only have to pay tax on it, but they do not get to claim the children they are paying for as a deduction (and we are talking about tens, if not hundreds of billions).  I know that in Canada, this system was adopted relatively recently.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:32:12 PM by ialmisry » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:43:57 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2012, 06:46:45 PM »

laugh That conditional love so prevalent on this thread?
Careful now.  A fall off that high horse can make quite a thud.

I'll take the risk, thanks. 

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2012, 08:37:43 PM »

However, I'm not the greatest fan of the British monarchy anyways, because the monarch is essentially without the ability to actually use the few powers she has left, and I would prefer that she have even more power than she technically does.

James, do a search on "reserve powers" as it relates to constitutional monarchies.

The ability to dismiss a democratically-elected government is a power the British monarch, through her viceroys/governors-general, retains. And it has happened, in Australia, in 1975. How much more power would you want His or Her Majesty to have?

But what I mean is that the reserve powers she has are not ones that the public would take kindly to being used, except in very extreme cases.  For instance, if I'm not mistaken, the Queen must sign each law Parliament passes.  However, imagine the uproar if she did what is her right and refused to sign one?

I honestly would prefer absolute monarchies.
Are you also into bsdm? I suspect most conservatives are.

You've been here long enough to know that the Convert Issues board where you and Isa started this debate is reserved for discussion of issues revolving around conversion to the Orthodox Christian faith and that polemic debate is not permitted there. For being one of the prime movers in a heated off-topic debate on the Convert Issues board, you are receiving this warning to last for the next 40 days. If you think this warning unfair, please feel free to appeal it via private message to Veniamin.

- PeterTheAleut
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2012, 10:52:37 PM »

However, I'm not the greatest fan of the British monarchy anyways, because the monarch is essentially without the ability to actually use the few powers she has left, and I would prefer that she have even more power than she technically does.

James, do a search on "reserve powers" as it relates to constitutional monarchies.

The ability to dismiss a democratically-elected government is a power the British monarch, through her viceroys/governors-general, retains. And it has happened, in Australia, in 1975. How much more power would you want His or Her Majesty to have?

But what I mean is that the reserve powers she has are not ones that the public would take kindly to being used, except in very extreme cases.  For instance, if I'm not mistaken, the Queen must sign each law Parliament passes.  However, imagine the uproar if she did what is her right and refused to sign one?

No, you imagine most conservatives are.  I know many liberals are.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2012, 10:59:42 PM »

Conservatism is political BDSM. Conservatives love their "dominatrices" .
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2012, 11:07:33 PM »

only in your fantasies.  I remember the great hall in the National Museum in Romania, dedicated to the love to Domnitorul Ceaucescu (and Elena was no slouch as a dominatrix).

augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2012, 11:19:27 PM »

only in your fantasies.  I remember the great hall in the National Museum in Romania, dedicated to the love to Domnitorul Ceaucescu (and Elena was no slouch as a dominatrix).
Not really. In principle. It appeals to people for the same sort of reasons like BDSM: love to dominate or be dominated. Boundless respect for hierarchies: Yes sir/ma'am, yes sir/ma'am !
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2012, 11:28:29 PM »

Not really. In principle. It appeals to people for the same sort of reasons like BDSM: love to dominate or be dominated. Boundless respect for hierarchies: Yes sir/ma'am, yes sir/ma'am !
Yes comrade.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2012, 11:14:27 AM »

I'd rather have a chick hit me than get my kicks from picture of Lenin.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2012, 01:59:58 PM »

It's a corporatist state that's administering the beatings you get your fix from Grin
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2012, 02:02:15 PM »

It's a corporatist state that's administering the beatings you get your fix from Grin
No, I get my fix from not having such obvious hatred and envy for people and their possessions.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »

It's hard for me to see my own sins. I need to work on that.  Embarrassed

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Rdunbar123

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2012, 03:07:40 PM »

I have never been employed by a poor person. Thank God for everyone  including the rich. if you hate anyone you'd better consider where you want to spend eternity.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »

I have never been employed by a poor person. Thank God for everyone  including the rich. if you hate anyone you'd better consider where you want to spend eternity.
Not in company of CEO's, hopefully. Whores would make for  far better company.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:14:20 PM by augustin717 » Logged
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2012, 03:16:13 PM »

I have never been employed by a poor person. Thank God for everyone  including the rich. if you hate anyone you'd better consider where you want to spend eternity.
are you basing the comparison on experience?

augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »

Yes.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2012, 03:21:28 PM »

Yes.
I thought you were too pure to get involved with CEOs.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2012, 03:26:03 PM »

I have never been employed by a poor person. Thank God for everyone  including the rich. if you hate anyone you'd better consider where you want to spend eternity.

People who own shops are employed by low-income people all the time. You know, the ones who buy food?

augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2012, 03:26:17 PM »

Yes.
Only in a few occasions when i had no choice; plus we weren't on equal footing anyways, as i was working.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2012, 04:14:38 PM »

People who own shops are employed by low-income people all the time. You know, the ones who buy food?
And who provides the capital for those shopowners to have food to sell?

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2012, 04:15:21 PM »

Yes.
Only in a few occasions when i had no choice; plus we weren't on equal footing anyways, as i was working.
Evidently so were they, or you wouldn't be.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2012, 04:18:29 PM »

Who spends the money, which goes to the company?

It's circulation, not a chicken-or-egg situation. Money needs to slosh back and forth for the economy to be healthy at all levels. When it gets plugged up in one place, things come to a halt... as we've seen.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »

Yes.
Evidently so were they, or you wouldn't be.
No, they weren't working, they were sacrificing to the altar of Satan while adopting children just to make them drink dirty water......

PP

Gregory the Great

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2012, 04:20:06 PM »

Unlike the rest of you (most likely), I have a brother-in-law who has been, from time to time, a high level executive in various major corporations, including being CEO of a major energy firm. I am unwilling to rate his efforts towards getting into the kingdom, having not experienced them firsthand. In the running of the race, however, for all his other faults I suspect that Bill Gates is quite a ways ahead of Steve Jobs.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:20:34 PM by Keble » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »

Unlike the rest of you (most likely), I have a brother-in-law who has been, from time to time, a high level executive in various major corporations, including being CEO of a major energy firm. I am unwilling to rate his efforts towards getting into the kingdom, having not experienced them firsthand. In the running of the race, however, for all his other faults I suspect that Bill Gates is quite a ways ahead of Steve Jobs.
The same Steve jobs who was canonized here not too long ago?  laugh

PP

Gregory the Great

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2012, 04:23:52 PM »

He was not. I'm sorry you just can't deal with the fact that a lot of people liked him. I guess he showed that you could be successful in business and still treat people well- what a shame, huh?  Roll Eyes

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2012, 04:25:12 PM »

He was not. I'm sorry you just can't deal with the fact that a lot of people liked him. I guess he showed that you could be successful in business and still treat people well- what a shame, huh?  Roll Eyes

It was a joke refrencing the Steve jobs thread after he died and some of the stuff that was said. Sorry if I did not make that apparent.

PP

Gregory the Great

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2012, 04:26:20 PM »

Don't worry. I'm neither a wh--- or a CEO, but I'm not the first in line to get into Heaven, that's for sure.  Undecided Lips Sealed

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2012, 04:54:09 PM »

Steve Jobs?  I've never heard of him treating people well.  In fact, it was a horror to be employee, or his illegitimate child.

He was, however up front and frank, and made no pretense.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2012, 04:56:26 PM »

Steve Jobs?  I've never heard of him treating people well.  In fact, it was a horror to be employee, or his illegitimate child.

He was apologetic about his child, and his employees must have shown an incredible amount of love for someone else- from the pictures of people lighting candles that we saw on the news, I thought it was him. Oh well.

Or do you really believe everything you hear on the talk shows? Trust me, most people are not that angry.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2012, 04:58:47 PM »

Who spends the money, which goes to the company?

It's circulation, not a chicken-or-egg situation. Money needs to slosh back and forth for the economy to be healthy at all levels. When it gets plugged up in one place, things come to a halt... as we've seen.
Yes, it is a chicken-or-egg situation.  Shops don't pop out of nowhere, rise up out of the earth or fall from the sky.

Yes, having it plugged up in a rat hole makes everything come to a screetching halt.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2012, 05:03:49 PM »

Money doesn't come from nowhere. People 'born with money' had families who got their money from somewhere. If they had a company that made money, that is because the public spent money with them, allowing them to pile up the results.

Again: circulation. Us horrible peasants ought to be grateful the rich overlords don't shut off the taps, because they were born with gold, or it fell out of the sky, and they have divine right like the kings used to.

How sad, you know- because when I was in school and we read Adam Smith, he sounded a lot more like me than you. Gradual tax system, still running fine for hundreds of years. You earn more, you pay more. Simple.

Honesty isn't popular today, though.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »

How sad, you know- because when I was in school and we read Adam Smith, he sounded a lot more like me than you. Gradual tax system, still running fine for hundreds of years. You earn more, you pay more
The rich do pay more. Even with a flat tax they pay more. Bill Clinton, even if he was taxed at 1% would pay more than I do if I was taxed at 100%.

PP

Gregory the Great

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2012, 05:13:38 PM »

He was apologetic about his child, and his employees must have shown an incredible amount of love for someone else- from the pictures of people lighting candles that we saw on the news, I thought it was him. Oh well.

really? they must have really loved this guy I guess
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrvIM1ENcbA
A lot of people admired him as a genius, not love him as a person.  Btw, a lot of his personality problems are not surprising, given his background.  He overcame that in some ways, in other ways not, or rather late.

Or do you really believe everything you hear on the talk shows?

From people in a position to know, and with no contrary evidence and plenty to support it (for example, his ouster from his own company), yes.

Trust me, most people are not that angry.
I didn't know that you knew Jobs personally.  Good you are here to clear the record.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2012, 05:14:15 PM »

You do know what a proportion is, right? Sheer dollars are different from percentages--

Forget it.  Roll Eyes

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »

A lot of people admired him as a genius, not love him as a person.  Btw, a lot of his personality problems are not surprising, given his background.  He overcame that in some ways, in other ways not, or rather late.

From people in a position to know, and with no contrary evidence and plenty to support it (for example, his ouster from his own company), yes.

I didn't know that you knew Jobs personally.  Good you are here to clear the record.

What was that about for the judgement you judge, you shall be judged?

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2012, 05:35:50 PM »

Money doesn't come from nowhere
many seem to think it does.
People 'born with money' had families who got their money from somewhere. If they had a company that made money, that is because the public spent money with them, allowing them to pile up the results.
And that company fell from the sky, and the public gave them their money for nothing. Roll Eyes

Take Mr. Jobs, for instance.  He started with nothing, not even his birth parents (whom he saw as a sperm and egg donor, not without reason, and with a little bitterness).  He was, however provided with adoptive parents (to whom, AFAIK, he was fiercely devoted, in the Fifth Commandment way), the machinist father teaching him rudimentary electronics and the accountant mother teaching him reading before he entered school.  That's all. No company, no money. Just hard work, and using talents.

Again: circulation. Us horrible peasants ought to be grateful the rich overlords don't shut off the taps, because they were born with gold, or it fell out of the sky, and they have divine right like the kings used to.
You seem to labor under the misunderstanding that the "rich overlords" (and how much do you have to make to qualify for that position?) stuff their money under a mattress.  What do you think they do with it?

How sad, you know- because when I was in school and we read Adam Smith, he sounded a lot more like me than you. Gradual tax system, still running fine for hundreds of years. You earn more, you pay more. Simple.
Simply wrong, as always.  The federal gradual tax system is not even a century old:established (or enabled) by the XVIth Amendment, it was promised that it would only affect the very rich, and would be at most 2%.  Didn't work out that way, so don't know what you mean by "still running fine."

Honesty isn't popular today, though.
evidently not.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2012, 05:37:17 PM »

What was that about for the judgement you judge, you shall be judged?
What about it?

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2012, 05:38:43 PM »

You do know what a proportion is, right? Sheer dollars are different from percentages--
in either case, primuspilus has you.
Forget it.  Roll Eyes
that might be a good idea.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2012, 05:39:23 PM »

Forget it.  Roll Eyes
It doesn't matter. Nobody will be happy until the evil rich are driven out of the country. Keep dreaming this fool's dream. We need rich folks. Sorry.

Taxing the rich at 100% wont fix our ills. Taking everything the own in totality wont fix our ills.

What was that about for the judgement you judge, you shall be judged
The anthem of people with no argument.

PP
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:40:02 PM by primuspilus » Logged

Gregory the Great

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2012, 06:04:16 PM »

Could we talk some more about soiled doves?  This CEO talk is getting a little boring.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2012, 08:50:46 PM »

Forget it.  Roll Eyes
It doesn't matter. Nobody will be happy until the evil rich are driven out of the country. Keep dreaming this fool's dream. We need rich folks. Sorry.

Taxing the rich at 100% wont fix our ills. Taking everything the own in totality wont fix our ills.

Wanting the rich to pay tax at the same rate as the middle class isn't driving them out of the country.  Wanting to end entitlement programs for the rich isn't class warfare.   
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: