OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 10:07:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Since I had LotR out  (Read 15100 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2005, 10:02:32 AM »

I'm glad that you liked the Hubble pic.  It *is* pretty amazing. 

That as wallpaper... neat idea.. also could be ummm  un-nerving to the unsuspecting.
 Grin

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2005, 12:43:48 PM »

Hooray for LotR nerds!

I'm still meaning to translate the Jesus Prayer and some other short Ortho-things into Quenya, but I've not got the time to relearn the language.  At the moment.  Maybe I should just print off the lessons from Ardalambion again and give myself a refresher course...

+IC XC NIKA+
-Philip.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2005, 09:08:53 PM »

An atmospheric phenomenon for today:

"Fingers of Gollum" from yesterday's Earth Science Picture of the Day:
http://epod.usra.edu/archive/epodviewer.php3?oid=255776

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2005, 09:17:53 PM »

OK, now this is just plain silly, but it *does* have a Lord of the Rings link... with Vegetables!!!

Big Idea, the creators of "Veggietales" (Yes, you can have working of David and Bathsheba for children when it has Larry the Cucumber as King George who is greedy for someone elses bath duckie.)  and "3-2-1 Penguins" (sort of Monty Python and Loony Tunes meets the Book of Proverbs with "A rocket ship and flightless birds")  are coming out at the end of October with

The Lord of the Beans!!

The story of the Bean of Power, a gift to Toto Baggypants, that is being sought by an army of Sporks.  Toto's companions include Ear-A-Corn, Leg-o-Lamb, Randulf the wizard and more.   

Here is the link to the Big Ideas page:

http://www.bigidea.com/videos/veggietales/vt026/

We have most of the VeggieTales and Penguins videos.  They are well done, adults can watch them too (unlike some children's programming) and do have Biblical lessons. 

If you get a chance you should see "The Sumo of the Opera" DVD. The lesson is perserverance and is shown in three tales: a silent take on the 3 Stooges, a "Flannelgraph" Life of St. Patrick (a riot) and "The Sumo of the Opera" which combines "The Mikado" with "Rocky".   Trust me, it does work and the songs are well done.

Well, we can't *always* be serious. Cheesy

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2005, 09:36:32 PM »

Tolkein geekery rides again!

Today in the reckons of Men is the birthday of both Bilbo and Frodo Baggins.  A pint of ale or tea and a nice bit of cake as your preference to make the occasion.

Wink

Ebor

Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2005, 01:18:22 AM »

Many Years in the country of the Valar to Frodo and Bilbo! Smiley

hmmmm...
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2005, 02:51:29 PM »

edit: well good grief i totally missed you posting about lord of the beans up there, i was just posting about that too!!! LOL Dont you love veggietales? Minnesota Cuke is a faorite here at home.

*runs off singing Barbra Manateeeee...you are the one for meeeeee*
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 02:53:32 PM by aurelia » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2005, 01:39:24 PM »

VeggieTales *are* excellent.  I think we may have all but one.  Our youngest is on a "LarryBoy" kick at the moment with "The Lie from Outer Space" and "The Rumour Weed".  He also likes "Jonah".

The Silly Songs are always a kick too.  One of our particular favourites is "The Dance of the Cucumber" performed by Larry in "Authentic Argentinian garb"  Grin

Ebor

"If you like to waltz with potatoes....."

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2005, 05:40:47 PM »

OK, we have "Lord of the Beans" and the children have watched several times (they had a day off from school).  It doesn't follow the whole story (how could it?) but has the theme of everyone has a gift and using it for the right purpose.  Toto Baggypants, a young Flobbit, has the Bean of Power as a gift from his uncle "Billboy".  But what is it for?  The Wizard, Randulf, and a set of companions (the ranger Earacorn, dwarf Grumpy, elf Legolamb and his brother the "Other Elf") help him to try and find out, as well as to keep the Bean from the villain "Scaryman" and his army of "sporks".   The art is a take on the Peter Jackson movies and there same can be said for the score.  It's a nice tribute.  It's amazing how a scallion can look so much like Christopher Lee  Cheesy 

The middle section is "Silly Songs with Elves" that has Larry as an Elvish Elvis.  There are a couple of direct quotes from the movies, a excruciating pun or two.  It may not be as rollicking as "Sumo of the Opera" but it's good and it does have a good lesson about using our gifts.  Our children enjoy it very much.

Ebor

aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2005, 01:17:43 PM »

Our favorite part is the silly song...watching the elven maid just telling larry what she thinks, and he is so clueless...

But I did enjoy the whole movie, love larry with a beard and hair!  Wink
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2005, 05:23:50 PM »

Yes, the elven maid is very funny and that song is where one of the excruciating puns happens.

We also loved the Spork saying "We ain't nothin' but maggoty bread..." right out of the LotR movies Cheesy

Ebor

aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2005, 02:14:58 PM »

My boys particularly enjoy "cookie man say no" they loooove that, fall into fits of giggles every time.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2006, 10:15:15 AM »

Today is the birthday of John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.  It is a custom of the Tolkien Society to mark the day with a toast at 9:00 PM local time to "The Professor"

http://www.tolkiensociety.org/toast/2006/index.html

If one likes, there is a form to register the beverage and toast made. 

It's 12 hours early in my time zone, but it's 9 PM somewhere.  "The Professor!"

Ebor

aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2006, 01:36:11 PM »

oh darn, I missed it!  :'(
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2006, 11:58:36 AM »

In the midst of turmoil and angst here is something for both LotR AND Sports fans. The Spanish team in the World Cup has a striker named Fernando Torres.  Here is a link to a couple of pictures in which it can be seen that he is also a Tolkien fan:

http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/1899/view/17761
http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/1899/view/17762

That tattoo is his name in the Tengwar Script.  Cheesy

Ebor

Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2006, 02:11:08 PM »

awe. some. Smiley thanks for sharing!

D

hmmmm...
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2006, 08:53:19 AM »

I'm glad you liked it.  Smiley  I shall continue in the search for more

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2006, 06:19:16 PM »

Actually, since I like to see what the Wikipedia topic of the day is..

The TotD until this evening is: J. R. R. Tolkien.  You can find it on the Wiki front page at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2007, 07:11:40 PM »

Just a reminder that today, September 22nd, is counted is called by some "Hobbit Day" and is the shared birthdays of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins according to the reckoning of Men.

(On a side note, I read in my hometown newspaper on-line, that a man there had his "Eleventy-First" birthday yesterday.  Just a little sychronicity maybe)

So a pint of ale or some tea and cake and maybe a few fireworks

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Ebor

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2007, 07:42:16 PM »

No ale, but some fine aged brandy, cakes and tea...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2007, 09:17:11 PM »

Ebor, do you know Tolkien's favorite ale?

I was at the liquor store today, but I didn't know what to get for the occasion. I was delighted to find a six-pack of Franziskaner there (which happens to be the Pope's favorite beer---and one of mine), but I settled on something more appropriate---some porters and ales from a rural Suffolk establishment called St. Peter's Brewery. The beer comes in very old-fashioned bottles. Never tried (or seen) them before. We shall see. Tolkien, at least, would have liked the name.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2007, 09:18:51 PM »

Just tasted one. Wow. Good choice. A toast to Mr. Frodo and Mr. Bilbo!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 09:19:06 PM by lubeltri » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2007, 10:35:41 PM »

I was delighted to find a six-pack of Franziskaner there (which happens to be the Pope's favorite beer

Interesting little bit of info.  Time for a Maß....too bad Franziskaner is so expensive this side of the pond.  Pabst anyone?
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2007, 10:47:50 PM »

“He who drinks ale sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes  to heaven. Amen.”

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2007, 11:12:18 PM »

Ah Boulder, Hoover and White River!  I missed it!

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2007, 12:40:45 AM »

Interesting little bit of info.  Time for a Maß....too bad Franziskaner is so expensive this side of the pond.  Pabst anyone?

It was $6.99 for a six-pack. Not bad! About what I pay for a six-pack of Sam Adams or Newcastle. I'll be back there to get it when my St. Peter's runs out. Of course, I could get Franziskaner on tap at an old German bar and restaurant in the city, but a pint of it sets you back almost as much as the six-pack! I don't pay more than $6.00 for a beer unless it's my birthday, and in that case, somebody else is buying. . .

BTW, Pabst at that same German restaurant is $5.00 a pitcher.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2007, 01:03:59 AM »

Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter

I don't know if this is among the best export beers the U.K. has to offer, but it sure is good. Smiley
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2007, 01:05:46 AM »

Pabst anyone?
You mean that fuzzy colored urine water?
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2007, 01:10:20 AM »

How about a hefeweizen by Paulaner?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2007, 02:04:35 AM »

Hey now, don't be down on Pabst.  For its price range it isn't too bad - it definitely beats Miller High Life or Budweiser. 

Paulaner - now that is an amazing beer.  I really like Franziskaner and feel there must be some grace imparted by drinking it. 

Now to really bring this back on topic to an Orthodox board Wink  I was in BevMo the other day and saw Zhigulevskoe.  I didn't buy it, but was shocked to see that of all Russian brands was being exported.  That stuff was so terrible one had to be seriously imbibed already in order to drink it (but at about fifty cents for 1.5 liters you can't go too wrong).  If you see Baltika 7 (good standard beer), 8 (Hefeweizen, not German quality but still good) or 9 (packs a serious punch with 8% alcohol) they are worth sampling.  But, my favorite is the Petersburg classic, Stepan Razin - about a dollar for a liter and actually very decent.  And for Heorhij's sake, I'll give honorable mention to Obolon. 

My favorite good American stuff that isn't too expensive is the Trader Joe's store brand.  Anybody else a fan?  It is also marketed as Gordon Biersch (I think it is the same stuff, just different packaging and more expensive).   

And don't get me started on Polish beer, otherwise I'll be posting all night. 

And no post would be complete without a patristic quote, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 02:06:33 AM by Νεκτάριος » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2007, 02:51:15 AM »

Hey now, don't be down on Pabst.  For its price range it isn't too bad - it definitely beats Miller High Life or Budweiser.
Actually, my experience with Pabst is very close to yours; it's pretty good for its price range, much better than that fake Budweiser brewed by Anheuser Busch, the stuff I really like to call fizzy urine water--I understand that the real Budweiser is brewed in the Czech Republic.  I was just dissing you in good fun because I much prefer the higher priced imports and local microbrews. Wink
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 02:53:32 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2007, 03:13:30 AM »

--I understand that the real Budweiser is brewed in the Czech Republic.

Yeah.  That stuff is amazing.  West Slavs know how to get it done. 
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2007, 03:23:50 AM »

Paulaner - now that is an amazing beer.  I really like Franziskaner and feel there must be some grace imparted by drinking it. 

Hmmm....Franziskaner vs Paulaner Hefeweizen....tough choice as they're rather equitable.  That St. Peter's stuff (don't suppose I can find that ligature to connect the t and s) is not bad either.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2007, 09:39:19 AM »

Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter

I don't know if this is among the best export beers the U.K. has to offer, but it sure is good. Smiley

Samuel Smith's . . . mmmmmmmm. . . They are all good---Nut Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Imperial Stout.

I also have a taste for Old Speckled Hen.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2007, 09:42:51 AM »

Actually, my experience with Pabst is very close to yours; it's pretty good for its price range, much better than that fake Budweiser brewed by Anheuser Busch, the stuff I really like to call fizzy urine water--I understand that the real Budweiser is brewed in the Czech Republic.  I was just dissing you in good fun because I much prefer the higher priced imports and local microbrews. Wink

A step below that is Bud Light and Coors Light. If you want to go even lower, there is Keystone, Milwaukee's Worst, and Natural Light (offered for free at a local bar near my university). Of course, my father and all his brothers love it (I tell them they like it because it's cold, not because it's good).

Honestly, American beer was a total wasteland before the microbrews came.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2007, 12:59:53 PM »

Ebor, do you know Tolkien's favorite ale?

I must admit that I don't know what the Professor preferred to drink in particular.  Perhaps I can find something in my books.  Smiley  I'm pretty sure that a nice cup of tea was acceptable to him at times (can't drink a pint while grading exams I expect. )

Ebor

Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2007, 02:58:14 PM »

Try St. Arnold's Stout.  It G-E-W-D gewd!

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2007, 03:28:57 PM »

I must admit that I don't know what the Professor preferred to drink in particular.  Perhaps I can find something in my books.  Smiley  I'm pretty sure that a nice cup of tea was acceptable to him at times (can't drink a pint while grading exams I expect. )

Ebor

No, but I suspect some of my profs to have been well into a fifth  Cheesy

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2007, 04:48:11 PM »

Now I can enjoy some ale(later on), bowl of black cavendish & Tolkein talk...

I am also in the process of hiring a X man to find out who borrowed the contents of my last Chimay...

« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 04:49:40 PM by Jakub » Logged

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2007, 07:42:48 PM »

No, but I suspect some of my profs to have been well into a fifth  Cheesy

I vaguely recall something from Tolkien's published letters about C.S. Lewis pounding them down one after another. He loved to drink and to talk, that's for sure. As for Tolkien, I only recall him writing about having a pint of ale---no brand mentioned, in my recollection.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 07:43:24 PM by lubeltri » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2007, 04:28:31 PM »

It's possible that there wasn't a brand. Many Europeans drink the house beer at a microbrewery.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2007, 04:55:45 PM »

Budweis Budvar, AKA the "real" Budweiser, is a fantastic beer, but it's difficult to find undamaged in the States.  Packaged in green bottles, it oftentimes finds its way to the consumer light-damaged (one of the sources of the "skunky" taste one finds in imported lagers).  If you're lucky, and I mean LUCKY, to find a bar that has it on tap, do not hesitate to get a pint.  I've had that once and it was one of the best beer experiences I've ever had.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #132 on: September 24, 2007, 05:08:15 PM »

Well the Inklings drank at the Eagle and Child Pub (still open). Breweries brewing in Oxford at the time were Hook Norton (still brewing), Brakspear, Morland and Morrells  (all now brewed elsewhere).

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2007, 11:14:03 PM »

I have just found a site (thanks to someone on my WoW guild site) that I think is pretty cool for any Tolkien fans.  Using the idea of the meanings of name and then putting those meanings into Quenya as closely as possible, here is a site in which one may find his/her name-meaning in that language:

http://www.elvish.org/elm/names.html

For example for some of the forum members who have posted in this thread:

Jacob/James - from Hebrew' "supplanter'; in QL we can find kaita- "to place" (it may be not valid and clashes with a word for 'lie'!), whence we could form *encaita- "replace" close to the meaning of 'supplant', then maybe Encaitar 

Ian/John - "Yochanan = "Yo (Yahweh, Jehovah) Is Gracious". I cannot think of any perfect Quenya rendering, but Eru [ná] antala means "God Is Giving". Treating the participle as an adjective, we construct the name Eruantalon. Perhaps it can be contracted to Eruntalon." 
"Eruantalon or Eruntalon or better Erufailon"

Peter - "from Greek 'stone'; sar "[little] stone", ondo "stone", thus Sardo or just Ondo; some Peter uses Gondo, which might be a Sindarin-Quenya mix-up"

Philip - "Greek for "horse-lover" (philos "loving" + hippos "horse"), in Quenya Roccondil"

Elisha - "Heb. 'God is generous'; Eru "God"; faila "generous, fair-minded", thus Erufailo, cf. ALISHA 

Christopher - "Erucolindo; based on suggestion above it also could be Lavincolindo or Laivincolmo or Lavincólo (*colmo, *cólo "bearer"); or we may adopt 'Christ' to Quenya if someone cannot accept Eru, so Hristocolindo; or Elpinocolindo (see CHRISTIAN)"

And there are many other names there. too

Ebor

aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2007, 08:34:52 AM »

Oricon=Heather

sounds like a boy name, thought, I think. ah well.

This reminds me, with the holidays and breaks coming up, do any of you do an annual "watch the entire LOTR dvds in one go" thing?  It's almost time for me to do it.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: