OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 02:01:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Since I had LotR out  (Read 14704 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2004, 07:09:36 PM »

Ahhhhhh, but which one?   ;-)

In Christ,
Aaron

Why, the one used by your country/time/jurisdiction, of course.  8-) (smilie in place, in case it doesn't show)

Ebor
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 07:10:13 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2004, 07:17:25 PM »

Have fun at the symphony Ebor! It's a great event. I saw it once in Houston (Tx) and once in Seattle with Howard Shore. The singing is fantastic as well. I've heard that Howard Shore is going to make a CD of the concert, so those who can't make it, will get to hear it as well.

Now if the LOTR exhibit will make it to Houston soon! Cheesy

Only less than a week before the SE! Woo Hoo! And the previews seem wonderful! Cheesy

Greetings, Nimloth!  I can tell by your nikname that you are another Tolkien fan. 8-)  The Exhibit will be in Australia for a while, then on to Houston for opening June 5, 2005 until Aug. 28, 2005 from what I've read.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2004, 08:08:52 PM »

So there we were at the Meyerhoff in Baltimore on Wednesday evening for the Lord of the Rings Symphony.

The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra was in the front part of the stage with high risers behind them for the Baltimore Choral Arts Society Symphonic Chorus and 32 trebles and altos from the Maryland State Boy Choir: Boys in the center, surrounded by the adults.

The three soloists: Susan Egan, Tammy Tyburczy and the boy soprano who is not listed in the program, but his name was annouced were seated in front of the orchestra center with the conductor, John Mauceri at the formost. Maestro Mauceri also worked with Howard Shore to adapted the movie score to the symphonic form.When the soloists sang they would come forward to microphones.

Above the orchestra was suspended a large screen to show the illustrations and maps.  One interesting affect was that the over-all colour of the stage lights would change depending on the music.  During "The Bridge of Khazad-dum" it was a deepening red to go along with sketches of the Balrog.  Shire music had more green lighting.  

The Symphony is divided into 6 movements, one for each of the books of the Lord of the Rings (recall that there are 2 books i.e. sections in each volume.)  The movements are subdivided by the themes or parts of the movie that they accompany.  So Movement 1 starts with: "The Prophecy"; "Concerning Hobbits" and "The Shadow of the Past".

Since Hardanger fiddle players aren't found under every bush, the concert master did the violin solos for the Shire music and the Rohan Theme and did very well. The Trumpet soloist was great, too. There was a excellent tin whistle player as well the an array of other unusual instruments, though no sitar.  I couldn't see them all, but the percussion section had out some of the extras like the anvil and other metallic sounding things for the "Isengard" theme, the one that's in 5/4 time.  There may have been some kind of small pump organ and a pan-pipe too. Also there were 2 harps.

Some of the sections have somewhat different instrumentation then that which is heard on the soundtracks.  While surprising at times, (to someone who has been listening to the CD's for a long time 8-) ) it generally worked well.  Also, some of the timing is different, but that fits with the situation.  

The choruses are used all through the piece.  The solos include "In Dreams" by the boy soprano backed up by the boy choir; Susan Egan did "Gandalf's Lament", "Gollum's Song" and "Into the West" beautifully.  Tammy Tyburczy did the other solos in Sindarin or Rohirric,("Evenstar" (gorgeous); "Hope and Memory" "The End of All Things") all from memory.  She also sang with the young man the parts that back up the Ents and "The Steward of Gondor" .  That last has the theme "Lighting of the Beacons".  Wonderful and thrilling to hear it live.  It was slightly slower then on the soundtrack, but the BSO was in perfect form.
A man in the Choral Arts sang Aragorn's invocation in "The Return of the King" very well.  I've always liked that bit of music; Viggo Mortenson composed it himself and is credited in the program.

Some things that were not included were the 2 Enya songs and the opening music from the Return of the King where Smeagol and Deagol are fishing.  Not a loss, but it would have been nice to hear that live.

During the performance the pictures opened with a map of Middle Earth and close ups of details. Then sketches, drawings and paintings that fit the portion being played were shown with a smooth transition so that nothing was jerky.  Both John Howe and Alan Lee illustrations were used.  Some of the sketches showed developement of concepts like Gollum.  It was an excellent addition to the show and helped the children who were with us to have something to look at.  I think that everyone liked it.

At the end, only a couple of people scurried out the doors to beat the crowd.  The rest of us applauded madly for 3 curtain calls.  It was a most satisfactory concert.  As a little touch, my daughter wore her "Arwen" dress that we had made her for Halloween with her deep-hooded cloak.  A number of people there recognized it.  She was very happy.

Ebor

Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2004, 09:20:38 PM »

WOW! sounds like a wonderful experience...especially the bit about your daughter's dress Wink I especially would have liked to hear "In Dreams" live, as well as the elvish words sung live (the love theme between Arwen and Aragorn, and Aragorn's invocation, in particular). Thank you for the detailed review Smiley wish I could have been there...maybe in a few years they will hold the concert again and come to NYC, who knows Smiley

hmmmm...
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2004, 01:13:25 PM »

Check this out.

http://www.noblecollection.com/catalog/product.cfm?id=NN9441&catid=17

I am seriously considering buying an Aragorn/Arwen crown set and keeping them in hopes of my sons and daughters in law using them as their crowns for their weddings. Am I completely insane? They just look so cool.

edited for typos
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 03:54:50 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2004, 01:48:18 PM »

Yes, Deacon, I think you're insane.  Tongue  (or, smiley)

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2004, 02:44:29 PM »

Just confirming. Wink

penelope
If I love the sea and all that is sealike, and love it most when it angrily contradicts me...

OC.net

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2004, 02:47:57 PM »

Check this out.

http://www.noblecollection.com/catalog/product.cfm?id=NN9441&catid=17

I am seriously considering buying an Aragorn/Arwen crown set and keeping them in hopes my sons and daughter in laws using them as their crowns for their weddings. Am I completely insane? They just look so cool.
I actually think that sounds kind of cool...

Let me love myself only if I love thee and do all things for thy sake.
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2004, 04:16:03 PM »

Deacon Lance....that....sounds.....awesome. Smiley do you have a link to a picture of the arwen crown tho?

hmmmm...
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2004, 04:57:42 PM »

Donna,

They have just about everyone's crown:

http://www.noblecollection.com/catalog/catalog.cfm?catID=17&subcatID=11

Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2004, 05:01:44 PM »

NICE! Smiley i like arwen's, it's a little less ostentatious than aragorn's...then again, King of Gondor, that's a big title Smiley

hmmmm...
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2004, 10:34:43 PM »

I dunno about you guys, but I've always wanted a pipe like Gandalf's.  Cheesy

They do have one:

http://www.noblecollection.com/catalog/product.cfm?id=NN9890&catid=17

But it says "Collectible non-functional pipe". Non-functional?? What good is that?!?  Huh

Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2004, 10:41:53 PM »

Why, the one used by your country/time/jurisdiction, of course.  8-) (smilie in place, in case it doesn't show)

lol, good answer Ebor.  Wink

Might I inquire as to which BCP is your favorite and why?

I would have to say that mine is the 1928 American edition - who doesn't love the olde english? It was also the BCP I was exposed to through the APCK (Anglican Province of Christ the King), which has no love for the 1979 edition.

I do have a 1662 around, but I haven't really flipped through it because it's an older one and I want to keep it as a keepsake.

In Christ,
Aaron
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2004, 10:54:27 PM »

I like your idea alot, Deacon Lance!  Grin  I think it would be terrific to have those for crowns.

Now for your *functional* pipes, Arystarcus, try here: http://www.vauen.de/eng/bilbo.htm

"I know all the secret paths through the 'net....to find LotR related information. 

Tomorrow is The Day.  I was good this year and didn't do a count-down.  Cool I'm not such a nut that I'm going anywhere at midnight to get the Extended Edition, either. Tomorrow morning will do.  But if you don't hear from me for a couple of days, send a St. Bernard with Ale and Mushrooms and Lembas. Cheesy

Ebor

Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2004, 11:02:28 PM »

"I know all the secret paths through the 'net....to find LotR related information.

I see that! Grin I will be sure to keep that in mind for any future references.

Now for your *functional* pipes, Arystarcus, try here: http://www.vauen.de/eng/bilbo.htm

Thanks for the link! At 179 Euro dollars, which amounts to $237.81 smackeroos, methinks it will be many a year until I own one.

It's still on my wish list though! Wink

In Christ,
Aaron
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2004, 11:07:53 PM »

lol, good answer Ebor. Wink

Might I inquire as to which BCP is your favorite and why?

Well, that is hard to say. I have copies of the earliest 3 (for reference purposes) and much of the language is good. But I also have all of the American ones, Scottish, and New Zealand. I became Episcopalian with the 1928. But the 79 has some good additions to it as well as some lumpy bits (what some priests call the "Star Trek" Eucharistic Prayer for example). That's the one we use at my parish.  The New Zealand has some odd bits, but also some good additions. (It's interesting to see how prayesr go in Maori and to read the Kalendar and services that fit in cultural customs of the Maori as well.)

I guess that I'm comfortable with both the 28 and the 79, depending on what's wanted. Sorry, it's that old "Via Media" again. 8-)

I prefer the King James Version of the Bible for the beauty of the language (and also I understand Stuart English) But I do not think it is the Only Acceptable Version(tm). However some of the paraphrase/modern ones could gag a herring.

Ebor

Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2004, 11:26:44 PM »

Well, that is hard to say.

It's understandable. With so many to choose from, it's hard to pick just one.  Wink

I prefer the King James Version of the Bible for the beauty of the language

As do I!  Grin

But I do not think it is the Only Acceptable Version(tm).

Same here.

However some of the paraphrase/modern ones could gag a herring.

You can say that twice and mean it. I tend to stay far away from them - why bother?

In Christ,
Aaron
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2004, 11:27:33 PM »

Im pickin up my EE on the way home from my school tomorrow, after my mom comes to pick me up and TAKE ME HOME! a joyous occasion on 2 counts! Smiley

hmmmm...
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2004, 12:01:37 AM »

I see that! Grin I will be sure to keep that in mind for any future references.
Thanks for the link! At 179 Euro dollars, which amounts to $237.81 smackeroos, methinks it will be many a year until I own one.

At your service, Aaron.  <bow>

Now with the board upgrade, I wish I could get my name in Tengwar.  We have cyrillic and greek and leet after all.  I'm working on bringing in a picture of it that came of a Tengwar Transcriber site.

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2004, 12:04:53 AM »

Im pickin up my EE on the way home from my school tomorrow, after my mom comes to pick me up and TAKE ME HOME! a joyous occasion on 2 counts! Smiley

And is it possible that we won't see you here for a day or so either?  8-)  "Just keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe!  Ho!"

Ebor

Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2004, 12:44:27 AM »

And is it possible that we won't see you here for a day or so either?

alas, unfortunately i have a take home final due by email on Thursday at 6 pm...so i will be spending my next few days working on that, with the repeated glance of longing at my unopened EE ROTK. sigh.

to be sure, u will hear from me once i start watching the lovely contents of those 4 (or is it 6?) dvds Smiley

hmmmm...
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2004, 08:06:34 PM »

and to let you know that I'm not staring into the TV glazed-eyed, here is a titbit for fun:
Medical students diagnose Gollum
http://newsbox.msn.co.uk/article.aspx?as=article&f=uk_-_olgbent&t=11964&id=493421&d=20041217&do=http://newsbox.msn.co.uk&i=http://newsbox.msn.co.uk/mediaexportlive&ks=0&mc=5&lc=en&ae=windows-1252]

Ebor

One of these days I'm going to learn the way to shorten urls, but the help page is down apparently.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 08:08:55 PM by Ebor » Logged

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2004, 04:01:09 PM »

It's still on my wish list though!

I probably shouldn't do this to you, Aaron, but look at this:

http://www.mithrilarmoury.com/
Click on the fifth picture down the page, the pipe... it will take you to a page of McQueen pipes in LotR styles.
They look good. They appear to be functional and they're much cheaper then an import from Europe.

But I think it's too close to Christmas for you to get one as a present.
 Grin

Ebor

Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2004, 11:53:15 PM »

I probably shouldn't do this to you, Aaron, but look at this:

http://www.mithrilarmoury.com/
Click on the fifth picture down the page, the pipe... it will take you to a page of McQueen pipes in LotR styles.
They look good.  They appear to be functional and they're much cheaper then an import from Europe.

But I think it's too close to Christmas for you to get one as a present.
 Grin

Well, I must say that I do appreciate your doing that for me.  Cheesy

Perhaps if I order now, it could arrive for the Old Calendar Christmas?  Wink

But I suppose it doesn't matter because I would be buying it as a gift to myself!   Cool

They accept PayPal too - that's a plus!

Thanks for the heads up on the more affordable pipes Ebor, much appreciated.  Smiley

In Christ,
Aaron

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2005, 11:48:36 PM »

Today being the Eleventy-second birthday of J. R. R. Tolkien, it is the custom among his admirers to lift a glass in his memory:

To the Professor!

Ebor

edited because sometimes I shouldn't type late at night.  Embarrassed  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 02:02:04 AM by Ebor » Logged

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2005, 01:20:19 AM »

Tecate for Tolkien, por favor!

JB

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2005, 01:27:37 AM »

hehehe Nasie to that!

hmmmm...
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2005, 02:04:27 AM »

Tecate for Tolkien, por favor!

JB

I can't resist...

"It comes in pints?  I'm gettin' one!"

Grin

Ebor

Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2005, 02:50:46 PM »

hehehe Smiley

hmmmm...
BJohnD

Faith: Orthodox Christian

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2005, 03:18:42 PM »

My wife and I watched ROTK EE on Christmas Day (it was our gift to ourselves). We're huge fans of the books and films, esp. the EEs of FOTR and TT. We even got lucky and saw the first two EEs on the big screen. Both of them are, IOHO, much better than the original theatrical versions, esp. the TT EE.

Some quick impressions of the ROTK EE DVDs, sparing a lot of detail for those who wish to be surprised by what's new:

-- For our money, this one didn't up the ante as much as the previous EEs. Too many extras best left on the cutting room floor. On the other hand, three or four new scenes straight from the book (e.g., the infamously deleted Saruman scene) were very welcome additions. In both cases, you'll know them when you see them. Wink

-- For all that, it actually feels shorter than the theatrical version, even at 4:10.

-- The behind-the-scenes stuff is excellent. Special kudos to "Horses in Middle Earth" and the Duncan Cameron sections. And the actors' stories are always funny. (BTW, we stopped watching the visual effects stuff after FOTR; for us, it spoils the magic.)

-- Boy oh boy are we ever glad Jackson realized that it would be a HUGE mistake to have Aragorn and Sauron duke it out at the Black Gate! The sequence showing the half-finished scene is really interesting, though, as is knowing what they did with it in the end.

BJohnD

« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 03:19:39 PM by BJohnD » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2005, 03:46:35 PM »

Anyone know if an EE version of the whole Trilogy exists?  I mean all three together, not sold separately - meaning a discount for buying all three at once.  I didn't seem to find a package that combined the three in my limited searching.

I've seen the first two EE, but not the last.  I only own a VHS regular length of the first though (from a gift exchange at a work holiday party).
BJohnD

« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2005, 06:29:39 PM »

Anyone know if an EE version of the whole Trilogy exists? I mean all three together, not sold separately - meaning a discount for buying all three at once. I didn't seem to find a package that combined the three in my limited searching.

Yes, indeed. Just Google "'Lord of the Rings' trilogy DVD." Looks like Amazon has it for about $78. My guess is it's the 3 "Platinum Editions" bound in a single slipcase. (The ROTK EE contains an offer for a slipcase that will hold all 3, for $3 S&H.)

prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2005, 03:23:31 AM »

I figure this has to provide a link between LoTR and Star Wars Wink

Hasbro, Inc.'s Playskool division is launching a new Mr. Potato Head figure, Darth Tater

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2005, 10:41:18 AM »

"What's Darth Taters, Precious? What's taters?"   Grin

(Boil 'em. Mash 'em.  Stick 'em in a stew.)

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2005, 10:51:23 AM »

Re: The Return of the King EE.  I'm still working through some of the commentaries and appendices since I can't shut out the world and family for about 3 days.

I liked all the added scenes.  But I'm such a geek that I was happy when more from the books was added.  And the cameo scenes were just for the sheer pleasure of seeing them.  After all the years of work, it was nice that Richard Taylor (Brillant man, totally unrecognizable as a corsair, unless you see the bit about the make up) and Howard Shore and many of the others getting to be in the movies.  Much of what was added was character developement and I liked it.   Frankly, there are references to other scenes that were filmed but not icluded that I would like someday to see.  Then again, maybe for some of the answers to what happened to the others of the Fellowship, maybe people will be moved to read the books.  A good thing.

In listening to the commentary tracks there are some very amusing bits.  What can you say about the ummm positive thinking of a man (Peter Jackson) who upon arriving at a filming site on a semi-active volcano and finding snow says "That's not snow... it's volcanic ash."  Cheesy

The section about Cameron Duncan is sad yet very good.  He was a teenager with talent.  May he rest in Peace.

More later.  Duty calls.

Ebor

BJohnD

« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2005, 01:57:51 PM »

I definitely agree that adding more from the books is a plus, although I also agree with Jackson's reason for never filming the Scouring of the Shire: it would've entailed tacking on a whole other movie at the end, which just wouldn't have worked given that the trilogy already runs 12+ hours (EE).

The extras sequences from Pelennor Fields were great and really added to the story. On the other hand, I was waaaaaay unhappy with the Drinking Game scene. D- U- M-B. :bang:
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2005, 02:19:30 PM »

Yes, indeed.  Just Google "'Lord of the Rings' trilogy DVD."  Looks like Amazon has it for about $78.  My guess is it's the 3 "Platinum Editions" bound in a single slipcase.  (The ROTK EE contains an offer for a slipcase that will hold all 3, for $3 S&H.)

I had a $20 Circuit City gift card to use and saw it there for $89+ tax.  I went with South Park season 4 instead. Smiley  I'll get LotR EE eventually....maybe from Amazon or eBay.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2005, 05:34:51 PM »

I agree that the "Scouring of the Shire" would not have fit in the movies.  One can't have everything.  But it's in the books.  I'm glad that there was more Faramir developement and the Mouth of Sauron was quite creepy.

Movies and books are very different.  But both can be very good.

Ebor

BJohnD

« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2005, 11:06:23 PM »

Agreed! The first hurdle for the true Tolkienist to jump: "That's not the way it REALLY happened!" laugh
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2005, 08:03:30 PM »

All right, Ladies and Gentlemen!  Here is another link to things both Tolkien *and* Science!!

It seems biologists and botanists have some ahem leeway in how they assign Linnean nomenclature to new discoveries:

from "Curiosities of Biological Nomenclature" found here: http://home.earthlink.net/~misaak/taxonomy.html

comes various lists on this theme.  One particular scientis, Leigh Van Valen is also partial to Tolkien and has named a number of ancient species from the Professor's works:
Claenodon mumak (Van Valen, 1978) (Paleocene mammal) after M++mak, the Middle Earth elephant

Mithrandir Van Valen, 1978 (Paleocene mammal) one of the names of the wizard Gandalf.

Niphredil radagasti Van Valen, 1978 (Paleocene mammal, now in genus Paleotomus) Niphredil is a small Middle Earth flower. Radagast the Brown was a wizard.

Some other scientists have named things along this vein:

Galaxias gollumoides (fresh-water fish) Named after Gollum because it has large eyes and was found in a swamp.

Gollum Compagno, 1973 (catshark)

More can be found here:http://home.earthlink.net/~misaak/taxonomy/taxEtym.html  a bit more then half way down the page.

There are lots of entertaining names here including (for cartoon fans)

Strigiphilus garylarsoni Clayton, ~1989 (owl louse) "I considered this an extreme honor. Besides, I knew no one was going to write and ask to name a new species of swan after me. You have to grab these opportunities when they come along." - Gary Larson

And for any Japanese Monster movie fans:

Gojirasaurus Carpenter, 1997 (theropod dinosaur) "Gojira" is the Japanese name for Godzilla (but the dinosaur was found in New Mexico).
Godzillius Yager, 1986 (remipede crustacean) These are the largest such crustaceans, from underwater caves in the Bahamas. The family Godzilliidae takes its name from this genus.
Godzilligonomus Yager, 1989 (godzilliid) The smallest remipede. [Bull. of Marine Sci. 44(3):1195]
Pleomothra Yager, 1989 (godzilliid) Named after Mothra. [Bull. of Marine Sci. 44(3):1195]
Sinemys gamera Brinkman & Peng, 1993 (Japanese fossil turtle) Named after the giant Japanese fire-breathing flying turtle. The fossil has wing-like projections from its shell.

There's alot of entertaining names here. I hope you enjoy them

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2005, 05:12:20 PM »

Alright, Ladies and Gentlemen, here is a fresh new bit from the Science/LotR connection,  A really fine picture from the Hubble Space Telescope of the star Fomalhaut in the constellation of the Southern Fish which shows a dust ring that bears a striking resemblance to a certain Evil Optic:

http://www.newscientistspace.com/article.ns?id=dn7564

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2005, 05:18:46 PM »

And on the art front, a painting by a German artist, that inspired Professor Tolkien in his creation of Gandalf has come to light and is up for auction on Sotheby's.  The professor had traveled and gotten some postcards including one of the  painting.  He saved it in an envelope with a notation about Gandalf on it.

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1119619683  for the story

and here is the link to Sotheby's with more info and a picture of the painting:
http://search.sothebys.com/jsps/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?&lot_id=4GHDR

The painting had been in private ownership for about 60 years.

Ebor

Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2005, 05:33:17 PM »

that picture of the star that looks like the eye is sorta freaky lol thanx for sharing

hmmmm...
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2005, 06:50:10 PM »

Wow! I might make that Hubble photo the wallpaper on my computer!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2005, 06:54:57 PM »

Funny that you mention that Chris, I had the same idea as well when I saw it.  Cheesy
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: