OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 07:45:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Since I had LotR out  (Read 14788 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2008, 11:12:56 AM »

Yes, the year has turned round again and today, January 3, is J. R. R. Tolkien's birthday. Just a reminder for anyone who cares to do so, of the Tolkien Society's customary Toast at 9:00 PM local time, with a preferred beverage of course

"The Professor!"

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2008, 11:19:31 AM »

Ah, excellent idea!  The Professor!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2008, 11:29:54 AM »

Aha!  Yes it is and I almost forgot about it (yes yes, I should be flogged)!  Thanks, Ebor! 

"The Professor!"

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2008, 02:49:13 PM »

September 22 is the shared birthday of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins and marks several occasions in the LotR.  Many Tolkien Societies, Mythopoeic groups and other fans have parties/picnics/get togethers on or around this date.

22 September has distinctive astronomical/astrological characteristics.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2008, 03:05:13 PM »

Thanks for the reminder, I do need to restock my ale reserve...have plenty of pipe weed though

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2012, 02:10:31 PM »

Yes, I am reviving this thread, but in the interests of re-use/renew

Today the 22nd of September is counted in the reckonings of men as the birth date of both Bilbo and Frodo Baggins. 
And since the first of the Hobbit movies will be out in less than three months, this is a day of note for some.

So whether you had Second Breakfast or tea or perhaps soon a pint of something stronger with a song, enjoy the day

"There is an inn, a merry old inn
Beneath an old grey hill..."

Or

"The Road goes ever on and on...."

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »

The Hobbit > LotR

The Hobbit was the first English book I ever read. I reread it a few weeks ago and got flooded with nostalgia. I think I'll be seeing the movie.

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:05:32 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #142 on: September 24, 2012, 04:34:04 PM »

The Hobbit > LotR

The Hobbit was the first English book I ever read. I reread it a few weeks ago and got flooded with nostalgia. I think I'll be seeing the movie.

See I had a completely opposite reaction to the book. Earlier this year I tried reading The Hobbit for the first time in probably more than 15 years, and I couldn't stand it. This despite it having a large hand in sending me down the path of sometime bookworm.  I'll still see all three movies though, and probably buy all 20 editions that they sell.  Grin

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2012, 07:19:08 PM »

The Hobbit > LotR

See I had a completely opposite reaction to the book. Earlier this year I tried reading The Hobbit for the first time in probably more than 15 years, and I couldn't stand it. This despite it having a large hand in sending me down the path of sometime bookworm.  I'll still see all three movies though, and probably buy all 20 editions that they sell.  Grin
As will I. Smiley

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »

I know I'll be there in the theater for this one.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2012, 03:59:13 PM »

The Hobbit > LotR

See I had a completely opposite reaction to the book. Earlier this year I tried reading The Hobbit for the first time in probably more than 15 years, and I couldn't stand it.

Why?

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2012, 05:18:35 PM »

I grew up with the Rankin/ Bass animated Hobbit. The book was one of the first novels I read.

Here's "Roads Go Ever, Ever On" sung by Glenn Yarbrough (from the animated Hobbit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtFwHrMfDpQ

And here's this black metal version of "In Hollow Halls Beneath the Fells", which I find by turns awesome and really cheesy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wchDZieP8pA

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2012, 08:53:57 PM »

And here's this black metal version of "In Hollow Halls Beneath the Fells", which I find by turns awesome and really cheesy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wchDZieP8pA

Whoa dudes, song from the Hobbit, scenes from the LOTR not cool.  Shocked  I do kinda like the song though.  Grin

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2012, 11:40:15 PM »

The Hobbit > LotR

See I had a completely opposite reaction to the book. Earlier this year I tried reading The Hobbit for the first time in probably more than 15 years, and I couldn't stand it.

Why?

I don't remember a specific reason other than thinking "ugh, this is awful" several times and finally putting the book down

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: