OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 08:21:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic & Coptic Orthodox leaders launch historic book  (Read 766 times) Average Rating: 0
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« on: January 24, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »

Catholic & Coptic Orthodox leaders launch historic book
By: Estefania Aguirre
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 11:02 pm

The Catholic Archbishop of Southwark,  Most Rev Kevin McDonald and the Coptic Orthodox Bishop Angaelos marked the Week of Christian Unity today, with the launch of the first book compiled by the Catholic-Oriental Orthodox Regional Forum: 'Joint Statements between the Catholic and Oriental Orthodox Churches'.

"It's very easy to become theoretical about theology and forget that we are talking about our faith in the incarnate Word, in salvation and in the presence of God. We forget to speak in communion of what we can have in common."

<snip>

"These differences will be resolved because Christ makes one promise about one flock and one shepherd and we will be unified one day," said Bishop Angaelos."We have a lot in common, which far outweighs our differences.

http://www.indcatholicnews.com/news.php?viewStory=19699

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 03:55:56 PM »

Ah! I love this proverb we have in the east, the bedouins give it to us: "Me against my brother; my brother and I against my cousin; Me, my brother, and my cousin against the stranger". you know what I mean?  Wink

May the Lord make it a fruitful cooperation for the benefit of the Christian World that must stand together based on what truly unites us against what is commonly in enmity with us. As there is a time for everything!  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:58:10 PM by Hiwot » Logged

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 04:12:19 PM »

The Catholic Archbishop of Southwark,  Most Rev Kevin McDonald and the Coptic Orthodox Bishop Angaelos marked the Week of Christian Unity today, with the launch of the first book compiled by the Catholic-Oriental Orthodox Regional Forum: 'Joint Statements between the Catholic and Oriental Orthodox Churches'.

"It's very easy to become theoretical about theology and forget that we are talking about our faith in the incarnate Word, in salvation and in the presence of God. We forget to speak in communion of what we can have in common."

<snip>

"These differences will be resolved because Christ makes one promise about one flock and one shepherd and we will be unified one day," said Bishop Angaelos."We have a lot in common, which far outweighs our differences.

If they "far outweigh our differences," we would be in communinon.

But the Arab proverb is applicable.  If not brothers, the Vatican is certainly a cousin against the strange new doctrines of this age.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 04:16:18 PM »

<snip>

But the Arab proverb is applicable.  If not brothers, the Vatican is certainly a cousin against the strange new doctrines of this age.

+1

well said!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 05:38:10 PM »

We have to start somewhere. I look at the Christian divisions in the Middle East and grieve. How can we ask the scales be removed from the eyes of our Muslim brothers while continuing to have such emnity between our own communities.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 11:55:48 AM »

The thread title is wrong. It is a publication issued by the Catholic-Oriental Orthodox Regional Forum of which I am co-Secretary, and its membership consists of bishops and representative clergy from all the Oriental Orthodox communion.

I had the job of producing the book, and was pleased to see how much serious agreement had been reached on many things.

The C-OORF is an ecumenical body that I don't mind giving up time to, as the Catholic members are very pleasant and interesting partners, and it is possible to be entirely honest about both the things that unite us and the things that still divide us.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 10:08:30 AM »

Thank you for the correction, Father Peter.  I hope this effort bears good fruit.

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 02:55:50 PM »

so where can we get hold of this book?
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 11:52:02 AM »

Presently you can get it here.

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/joint-statements-between-the-catholic-and-oriental-orthodox-churches/18810528

Postage is free until the end of the month using the code you can find here...

http://www.lulu.com

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: