OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 06:35:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank you letter from Patriarch Alexy to Pope John Paul II  (Read 9654 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2004, 09:46:36 PM »

[ Leviticus 19:18
Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

Also see James 5:9]

Had both those verses been initially followed by the RCC we wouldn't be having this discussion now.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
CatholicEagle
Banned
Elder

HH St.Pius X, Pope of Rome, Ecumenical Pontiff

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2004, 10:14:35 PM »

Which 8th commandment are you guys talking about?
My Bible says that the eighth Commandment is Thou shalt not bear false witness against your neighbor. the 7th is thou shalt not steal, is it not?
Can somebody straighten this out for me?
ByzantineSerb

OC.net

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2004, 11:41:06 PM »

Had many... nay, all people in any age follow the simple message of the Gospel of Christ, we would never have had countless conditions of death and mourning.

If we live as people of God, there will be room for all nations in the Balkans and in the world. If we liken ourselves to Cain who killed his brother Abel, then the entire earth will be too small even for two people. The Lord Jesus Christ teaches us to be
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2004, 07:22:28 AM »

[Which 8th commandment are you guys talking about?
My Bible says that the eighth Commandment is Thou shalt not bear false witness against your neighbor. the 7th is thou shalt not steal, is it not?
Can somebody straighten this out for me?]

I'm going by what is contained in my "Orthodox New Testament" in the front.  Which gives the 8th Commandment as 'Thou shall not steal'.

Orthodoc

MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2004, 09:25:43 PM »

"The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?  Jesus said unto him, 'If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.'  But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions." (Mt 19:20-22)

I understand that the items in question are stolen, this has been stressed to the limit.  But to the Catholics under Rome, these things are now a part of their history as well, they have been there for generations upon generations (which I understand does not legitamise keeping things, but just trying to make a feeble point).  If you were told that everything that you have inherited from your family; your grandparents' heirlooms, even your home and any treasures and things you hold of great esteem and such, were all stolen property, how fast would you return it?  Then say you're the Pope of Rome and have now incurred the guilt of the stolen property without having done any of the stealing to begin with.  It must be a hard position to be in, is all I'm saying.

Kim

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2004, 12:40:43 AM »

I must apologize to Orthodoc after reading a few more articles regarding the many relics taken during the Fourth Crusade.

Apologies from the Vatican are one thing, but the return of these relics is a must in my eyes.

There can be no real closure until it is done.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Orthodoc
Archon

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2004, 09:29:59 AM »

[I must apologize to Orthodoc after reading a few more articles regarding the many relics taken during the Fourth Crusade.]

Thank you for your post.  However, no apology from you is necessary.  The very fact that you understand why we Orthodox Catholics feel the way we do, and react the way we do, when excuses are made by Roman Catholics regarding the many abuses towards us are broubght up is enough.

If the shoe was on the other foot the Roman Catholic reaction towards us would be the same as ours towards them in this matter.

Orthodoc

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2004, 12:26:38 PM »

I thought this was a interesting supporting article:

http://www.ccel.org/s/schaff/hcc5/htm/ii.ix.htm

I do also understand that the Church suffers in silence.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: