OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 09:42:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Discrimination against Ethiopians should mean prison term'  (Read 405 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 23, 2012, 02:19:28 PM »

Anyone who discriminates against Ethiopians should go to prison, Knesset Immigration, Absorption and Diaspora Affairs Committee Chairman Danny Danon (Likud) said during a visit to Kiryat Malachi on Sunday.

Danon, as well as MKs Daniel Ben Simon (Labor), Robert Tivayev (Kadima) and Shlomo Molla (Kadima) visited the town following a recent news report that residents of Kiryat Malachi signed an agreement not to sell or rent apartments to families of Ethiopian descent.

The report sparked ire in the immigrant community, which held a protest outside the Knesset last week.

Danon said that he is embarrassed as a representative of the Knesset that he would have to hold so many meetings about racism against Ethiopian-Israelis.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 02:20:14 PM »

Anyone who discriminates against Ethiopians should go to prison, Knesset Immigration, Absorption and Diaspora Affairs Committee Chairman Danny Danon (Likud) said during a visit to Kiryat Malachi on Sunday.

Danon, as well as MKs Daniel Ben Simon (Labor), Robert Tivayev (Kadima) and Shlomo Molla (Kadima) visited the town following a recent news report that residents of Kiryat Malachi signed an agreement not to sell or rent apartments to families of Ethiopian descent.

The report sparked ire in the immigrant community, which held a protest outside the Knesset last week.

Danon said that he is embarrassed as a representative of the Knesset that he would have to hold so many meetings about racism against Ethiopian-Israelis.
What about discrimination against any other people group?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 02:30:44 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Danon said that he is embarrassed as a representative of the Knesset that he would have to hold so many meetings about racism against Ethiopian-Israelis.[/size]

Agreed, the Israelis have not been the best to the Ethiopian Jews, this is a good moment for advocacy and awareness.  

He added that the Aliyah Committee will work to stop segregated pre-schools and integrate families of Ethiopian descent throughout Israel.

This is a great law, housing discrimination is segregation and even low-profile apartheid..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:31:53 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 02:36:32 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Danon said that he is embarrassed as a representative of the Knesset that he would have to hold so many meetings about racism against Ethiopian-Israelis.[/size]

Agreed, the Israelis have not been the best to the Ethiopian Jews, this is a good moment for advocacy and awareness.  

He added that the Aliyah Committee will work to stop segregated pre-schools and integrate families of Ethiopian descent throughout Israel.

This is a great law, housing discrimination is segregation and even low-profile apartheid..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Is there a law for Palestinian discrimination? What about Christians?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 02:41:45 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Is there a law for Palestinian discrimination? What about Christians?

PP

There should be so isn't this a step in the right direction? Brother, you sure seem to get defensive around discrimination laws, why? Does this even really affect you? If it benefits the persecuted Ethiopians there in Israel,what is the harm exactly? Since the Israelis have been world renown for the way they mistreat their own citizens and neighbors, would you prefer that everyone be EQUALLY discriminated against? Again, this law is a step in the right direction, it sets a precedent which can be built on an expanded.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »

Yeah I  do get defensive about discrimination laws. The reason is because by selecting only one group getting the protection, it denies the protection to others who are being discriminated against.

Does it affect me? No. Neither does hungry kids in Somalia. It doesn't mean I dont feel strongly about it. I'll give you an example:

Israel allows a fast track to Jews to relocate to Israel from whereever they are. However, this does not include Jews that converted to Christianity. This is blatant discrimination that happens to be state sponsored.

To me, this law is the same tihng as if here in the US, we had a law making discrimination against Indians illegal, but sponsors it against blacks. No difference. This "choose-your-own-adventure" racial morality makes me sick.

PP

Gregory the Great

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »

Yeah I  do get defensive about discrimination laws. The reason is because by selecting only one group getting the protection, it denies the protection to others who are being discriminated against.
However, this does not include Jews that converted to Christianity. This is blatant discrimination that happens to be state sponsored.

Again, I agree completely, discrimination in Israel is the problem, and this is one step towards a solution.  I understand your philosophical gripe, and it holds some water, but the I feel with this particular issue that in the cost analysis, the benefits out way the risks. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 03:30:22 PM »

However, this does not include Jews that converted to Christianity. This is blatant discrimination that happens to be state sponsored.

Again, I agree completely, discrimination in Israel is the problem, and this is one step towards a solution.  I understand your philosophical gripe, and it holds some water, but the I feel with this particular issue that in the cost analysis, the benefits out way the risks. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie
I guess I just get sick of holding my nose and saying, "Well, its the best we got". Meh...gets old.

PP

Gregory the Great

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 03:44:01 PM »

Yeah I  do get defensive about discrimination laws. The reason is because by selecting only one group getting the protection, it denies the protection to others who are being discriminated against.

Again, I agree completely, discrimination in Israel is the problem, and this is one step towards a solution.  I understand your philosophical gripe, and it holds some water, but the I feel with this particular issue that in the cost analysis, the benefits out way the risks.  

stay blessed,
habte selassie
I guess I just get sick of holding my nose and saying, "Well, its the best we got". Meh...gets old.

PP

Agreed completely philosophically speaking, but in the pragmatic sense, a journey always starts with a single step in the right direction and further the cards aren't worth a dime if you don't ever lay them down, so we just have to in Grace play the hands we're dealt.  In this instance, its either anti-discrimination laws against red-lining and housing discrimination (laws which have a proven history of success) or equal discrimination for all  Undecided

Further, yes, philosophically if we use this law to benefit Ethiopians, we may be inherently discriminating against some Jews who were the initial discriminators, so honestly, in the scheme of things hasn't their misbehavior voided our sympathy? In other words, it was wrong for them to discriminate against the Ethiopians out of racism or xenophobia, so perhaps these laws are a punishment for this? I believe in forgiveness but that doesn't automatically imply exoneration.

For example
REPORTING FROM JERUSALEM -- Jewish settlers in the unauthorized West Bank outpost of Migron have rejected the latest attempt by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to find a compromise that would save their community while still complying with a Supreme Court ruling that it be dismantled.

The government of Israel has promised repeatedly to tear down Migron, the flagship of West Bank outposts, after conceding it was built at least in part on privately owned Palestinian land, rendering it illegal even by Israeli standards.
  LA Times

Should we honestly be worried about the government discriminating against these settlers considering how insistently they scoff both international law and the public sentiment of common decency?

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:56:35 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: