OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 04:19:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Catherine the Great,' by Robert K. Massie, chronicles life of Russian Empress  (Read 348 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: January 22, 2012, 08:22:16 PM »

Catherine the Great ruled Russia for 34 years. She was not native to Russia, but went on to become a powerful and emblematic leader. A recent biography by Robert K. Massie adds to that author's distinguished list of works about the Russian royalty.

From the article:
She began life in 1729 as a very minor German princess named Sophia, but her ambitious mother managed to arrange a marriage to the heir to the Russian throne. At 15, Sophia was taken to St. Petersburg, began studying Russian, converted to Orthodox Christianity without much fuss and was renamed Catherine.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:23:31 PM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 07:42:25 PM »

Catherine the Great ruled Russia for 34 years. She was not native to Russia, but went on to become a powerful and emblematic leader. A recent biography by Robert K. Massie adds to that author's distinguished list of works about the Russian royalty.

From the article:
She began life in 1729 as a very minor German princess named Sophia, but her ambitious mother managed to arrange a marriage to the heir to the Russian throne. At 15, Sophia was taken to St. Petersburg, began studying Russian, converted to Orthodox Christianity without much fuss and was renamed Catherine.

I haven't read the book, but I believe it was the Emperor Frederick of Prussia that arranged the marriage, and it had nothing to do with her mother.  Actually her  meddling in affairs was a cause of consternation to the Emperor as well as to the Russian Empress Elizabeth.     I love to delve into history and I believe, although I have no source to back it, that the Emperor chose her because of her Byzantine ancestry since it would make her more desireable to the Russian people.  I say this  because the Greek kings had always been able to trace their ancestry to Roman nobility through Queen Olga, who inherited it from Catherine the Great.

Anyway Catherine's 'smarts' were certainly Byzantine, and  Russia did turn into a formidable power because of her.   Wink
Tags: Catherine the Great  Robert K. Massie 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: