OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 02:07:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Becoming a Deacon  (Read 1189 times) Average Rating: 0
jmell

OC.net

« on: September 21, 2004, 02:20:05 AM »

Does one have to attend seminary to become a deacon. I've been trying to do some research on it but can't find anything
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 12:31:01 PM »

Some deacons do, some don't, it depends on the local bishop.
My grandfather became a priest without going to seminary, my father was a deacon for 28 years after graduating seminary, before becoming a priest.  I know many deacons who didn't go, but then, many who did.  All up to the bishop.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 06:18:21 PM »

The OCA has a "late vocations program," generally for guys who are interested in the diaconate, but who already have careers and families, and for whom moving to a seminary is not always possible or practical.  A deacon at my parish was ordained last Dec 03, and completed his preparation for the diaconate in this manner.  I am looking into this program for my future as well.  Of course, the "late vocations program" has to be under the direct supervision of one's priest, and before any studying and preparation can begin, it must be approved by the Bishop and/or by the OCA coucil of bishops altogether.  I believe that if one completes the "late vocations program" and is ordained a deacon, and wants to then be a priest, it is almost always required to spend at least some time at a seminary.  

I am not sure if other Orthodox churches in the USA/Canada have similar programs.  

As far as I know, being tonsured a Reader or becoming a sub-deacon does not require as intensive a program.  Best to inquire directly with one's priest about these matters.

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
optxogokcoc
orthodoxos

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 10:38:10 PM »

JMELL, are you considering?
stpaulphilip

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »

The St. Stephen's Course through the Antiochian church offers an online program to become a deacon, in conjunction with studying with your priest and the blessing of your Bishop. 

Paul
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:33:41 PM by stpaulphilip » Logged

Isaiah 5:20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 05:54:52 PM »

try this its the holy cross decon program.

http://www.hchc.edu/holycross/academics/spd.html

or the anriochian

http://www.antiochian.org/638
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:56:49 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 06:00:51 PM »

Some deacons do, some don't, it depends on the local bishop.
My grandfather became a priest without going to seminary, my father was a deacon for 28 years after graduating seminary, before becoming a priest.  I know many deacons who didn't go, but then, many who did.  All up to the bishop.

How did yr grandfather do that.

I know in the canons schooling not a requirement but nowadays you need a masters in div to be a priest.

In the good old days your Biship would do the herotonia over your head and u were a Priest.

How long ago did your GF become a priest.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 06:03:18 PM »

Ania has not logged here since 2007.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 06:23:08 PM »

Ania has not logged here since 2007.