OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 03:18:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Convert to Orthodoxy Wishes to Grow With Orthodox Faith  (Read 391 times) Average Rating: 0
stjustinmartyrorthodox

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: January 22, 2012, 04:42:13 PM »

Hello:
I am very happy to say that this month it will be four years since I was chrismated Orthodox Christian. As I can speak for myself, I was a seeker of truth and sought out varied religious paths before I came to Orthodoxy. I unfortunately went through a phase last year where I questioned my Orthodoxy and felt a nostalgia, almost a homesickness, for my previous Christian denomination. I have since gotten over that phase happy to say; I have fully embraced the Orthodox faith and have confessed my sins and shortcomings to my parish Orthodox priest. I am wondering how can I grow in faith? Sorry for the open ended question. As a catechument my priest assigned me The Orthodox Church by Timothy Ware and I have read that book at least 2 if not 3 times already along with other books by Bishop Ware. I want to do further study on the Fathers and Desert Fathers, but I don't know where to begin. Should I begin chronilogically or should I read on certain themes from perspectives of different Fathers and Saints. I am trying to also develop a prayer rule little by little. In all thank you for your support. God is in Our Midst!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:33:07 PM »

I would say to go to Confession, but I think you already did that. So, continue to go to liturgy, pray, and see if you can find a way to help out at your parish. Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Knee V

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 12:15:52 AM »

Try to pray a lot, and ask God for help in praying. It's tough to do, but God helps us when we ask. The entire Orthodox life is about prayer.
moronikos

Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 12:51:56 PM »

Here's a novel suggestion: Ask your priest.

Ask him what he thinks you should read next.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: