OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 06:47:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mixed Marriage  (Read 522 times) Average Rating: 0
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« on: January 22, 2012, 03:05:54 PM »

Hi
    For those of you who are married to a Catholic, how do you handle Great Lent?  The Mrs. and I had Pascha on the same date the last couple years.  This year hers is a week earlier.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 03:23:31 PM »

suggest to her orthodox fasting, but 'let her off' the last week (her holy week).
 Wink
if this doesn't work, i can copy from another forum my 'one person fasting, one person not fasting' lent recipe ideas. they don't exclude all oil (we can have non-olive oil in my church), but if you're married to someone who fasts less, then i suppose maybe you would be a bit flexible with the fast and not mind the oil.

i think that flexibility with church going is also good; if u both visit each other's churches, you will learn a lot and it shows love and concern for the other's spiritual life, not only your own. i used to find it easier when Pascha was on different dates, as Pascha in my church is a very big service followed by food the night before (into the small hours of the morning) and when the Paschal dates coincided, getting up a few hours later to go to a protestant church was not easy for a lazy body.

catholic Pascha is very beautiful. there is usually a late night service and one the next morning (who says they don't know asceticism?!) and in the morning service, there is veneration of the cross, which is almost like having icons; it's very beautiful.
i never made it to the night service at the time i lived close to a catholic church, due to me misunderstanding 9pm for 9am. but i have been told it's beautiful.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 04:46:12 PM »

Yeah, I have to admit that the night service on Easter (we never called it Pascha except during the Spanish-language parts of the service, Mabsoota Wink) is the one thing I do feel a twinge of nostalgia for from my RC days. Well, that and the midnight service on Christmas. Kyrie Eleison... angel

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 04:46:44 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Sergius the Sinner

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA DoS

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 01:29:27 AM »

My wife is Armenian. Culture shock to the core.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 02:22:33 AM »

Are your Pascha dates always the same or different.  How about the rules of what foods to eat, etc.?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:23:01 AM by Gamliel » Logged
Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 11:08:01 AM »

Are your Pascha dates always the same or different.  How about the rules of what foods to eat, etc.?
Armenians celebrate Easter on the Western calendar.  Other than that, Lent is somewhat similar in how fasting is approached, but other than that, the fundamental difference is that Armenians do not administer communion during Lent, and serve the liturgy with the altar curtain closed. 

My family is split between Eastern and Armenian Orthodoxy, so we've always celebrated two Easters.  It gets complicated when they're on the same day, so there must be accompanied shuffling of schedules (especially for Holy Week services), but it works out.  The only real downside are the years when there is a significant gap between the two and you have double Lent.  At any rate, it can be done. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: