I fold. Can't butt my head against a wall forever. I guess sarcasm is only okay for some folks.
All you have to do to find the quotes about the police is look at the threads about guns. I won't name the posters now because I don't want to get banned. I may be close enough already.
Guess I'm not enough of a certain political stripe to fit in. Funny, I thought I had rights too. I was born and raised in the U.S. and I have worked and paid taxes since I was 16. Too bad it was all for naught.
When you butt heads with a wall, the wall usually wins! The problem with sarcasm is that no one can hear the tone of your voice, only see the words you have written. This is a serious matter to many folks so your words have been taken seriously. Like Liza pointed out, you'll not get banned for disagreeing, and I'm sure (though I can only speak for myself) no one hates you over it. But there are several of us who disagree with you. The same right you have to voice your opinions gives us our right to debate your opinions through reasoned discourse. Such is the nature of debate. The reason that this issue is so heated for many on the other side of the aisle is that no one of us is threatening your rights in this matter. In fact, we are arguing for your rights, regardless of whether you wish to exercise them or not. This is not true for the other perspective. Many people who express opinions similar to yours would like to see other people's rights revoked or restricted. So if you think some of us are being very defensive about this issue...well, we are.
Hopefully this helps clear things up, and helps us understand one another.
There are several things that really should be pointed out:
1) I do not like police. That comes from living in a city where the police are of no use in preventing crime, and of only marginal use in solving crimes already committed. Will I dial 911? Sure, and I have. The shortest response time EVER was around 5 minutes. Activation of the panic alarm on my Security System took 20 minutes. I don't use the Security System anymore, and I can solve most tactical problems that I may encounter in far less than 5 minutes. In fact, if I have not solved them in 3 seconds, I am probably dead.
2) In spite of #1 above, I do not HATE police. In fact, I happen to like Sheriffs Deputies and have had good contacts with the State Police (who issued me my CHP). Also, in spite of #1 above, not all police fit in the category that I mentioned. In fact, ALL of my trainers were policemen from the Omaha PD.
3) I do not dislike people that do not like guns. I dislike people who think that I should not be allowed to have them because they dislike them.
4) I respect the well thought out opinions of those that have actually taken the time to study the issue of private ownership of firearms, and express their opinions based on this study. Most who do an honest study of the facts will moderate their anti-gun position. Also, most that do an HONEST study of the fact will also find themselves in favor of some forms of gun control, including rabid pro-2A people like me.
5) The hostility that I have displayed in some of my posts here do not come from people's opinions. There was a thread for opinions. My hostility is for those who trash a thread that was supposed to be for people who like guns to show off their guns. Instead, we get people who do not see the rudeness in their actions, yet whine and complain that people treat them poorly for their rudeness. Vamrat is correct about our defensiveness. We gun owners do not kick your doors down and thrust guns into your hands. Many of us, like me, actually prefer concealed carry so that being armed does not upset those who are more timid around me. I regularly speak against open carry on gun forums, and am called some pretty nasty names because of it. However, just like those who have trashed this thread, the anti-gunners have no trouble trying to force their "opinions" on those who specifically did not ask for them. It speaks volumes to us as to what kind of people you are. Just like you have ruined this thread, you would also ruin our rights if you were given the opportunity.
6) As to "Christian Duty" to defend someone: I will always stand up for the innocent. I will not, however, put my life at risk for someone who intentionally and willfully puts themselves in a position of danger. Some people CANNOT defend themselves, and if I am placed in a position to assist them, I will. However, most people who are victims of a crime are intentional victims. They are victims due to their own negligence and stupidity. I feel no obligation to defend such a person. As I said before, if your life is worth so little to you that you will not do what is necessary to defend it, why should I risk mine for yours? I consider myself a productive member of society, and I have people both inside and outside of my family that depend on me for various things. I stay alive for that reason. Since you have nothing of value to live for, at least not of enough value for you to protect, why should I value you? I am sorry if this upsets you. If you were here, I would hand you a tissue.
7) There is another very valid reason that some of us will not come to your aid. Who is the bad guy? When I am being attacked, I KNOW who the bad guys is. When I see a fight between you and someone else, all I know is that there are two people fighting. I was involved in a situation once myself where all was not what it appeared. A rather large man was carrying a younger girl out of a house over his shoulder while she was kicking and screaming to get away. He thrust her rather roughly into a van and then proceeded to get in himself. Nebraska State Law allows me to use deadly force to prevent a kidnapping. If I were the Rambo that some think that gun owners are, I would have shot him dead on the spot. Thankfully, I did what I was trained to do and took down all of the pertainant information. I ran into a Deputy at a gas station a block down the road and told him what happened. The man was the autistic girl's father, and he was taking her to some form of therapy that she really did not like. This was a usual spectacle for that small town. I had never seen it before. Had I gotten out of my car and brandished a weapon, I would have been guilty of a Class III Felony. Had I shot him, it would have been murder. And no, I am not going to ask someone 20 questions if I think they are committing a crime. That is a real good way to get killed, and I don't intend to get killed by curiosity.
Nobody has said NOT to call the police when they are in trouble. If someone is kicking your door down, by all means call the police. If you have an armed neighbor that you wish to call, go ahead and do so. It is your life, call who you want. If someone is kicking my door down, I will call the police, too . . . after I shoot them. If I have enough warning, I will call the police and then shoot them (after the appropriate warnings for the situation).